Start by marking “Bloodstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #1)

(Heart of a Vampire #1)

When duty forces a shaman to stop a vampire from her revenge, love doesnt just burn... it bites.

For two hundred years, Niki DeVeraux has been tracking the monster who murdered her family and made her a vampire. She finally catches up to him in a small Arizona town, only to face more than she bargained for. Amid an imperious vampire King, a shaky truce between the local
Published April 13th 2012 by Dragon Heart Books (first published April 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodstorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodstorm

Start your review of Bloodstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #1)
Jen Davis
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Niki is a vampire, on the hunt for her own sire. Hundreds of years ago, Thomas killed her family, turned her into a vamp, and disappeared. Her dead family has been haunting her ever since and she won't give up her search for Thomas until she has her vengeance.

Her hunt leads her to Shane's small Arizona town. He serves not only as the sheriff there, but as Keeper. He mediates and polices problems of a supernatural natural. And he, himself, carries magic as a Shaman. When Shane and Niki come face
Linda
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A storm is coming and Niki De Veraux is smack in the middle of chasing Thomas when he killed her family and made her a monster, all she wants is to kill him and set her family that has haunted her for two hundred years free. She tracked Thomas Montgomery to a little town called Moss Creek and went into the town's bar, she talked to the bartender, and headed out the door to the forest to meet her snitch...........

Sheriff, Shane Spencer, had ran to the big city to get away from his past but fate
Donna
This was a fast and easy read. I enjoyed learning about the paranormal community in this book. It was interesting that there was an intermediate between the werewolves and vampires called a keeper. I think this may be the first time that I have seen that in a book. I liked the idea of a peacekeeper between the paranormal races. Overall, an enjoyable quick read.
Kimberlee
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free read from AmazonKindle. I liked it from the start by chapter four I was hooked. It is taking a different twist on vampires and shifters. Niki a vampire is out to kill her sire she gets some help from a Apache shaman named Shane but the fates have a plan for these soulmates.
Jody Joy
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

I enjoyed this book very much specially the relationship that these people had between vampires and werewolves. I have to say it was definitely a strange relationship but it seemed to work with all of them. The end was the best part of the whole book, read it and find out why.
Ambrosia Sullivan
This book was first reviewed on my blog The Purple Booker

At long last here is my final review of books I read in 2016. I know it seems like I took forever and I did a bit, but here it is. Long live 2017 from now on.

This book was alright, I would not jump up and down and call this my next big vampire series to read but I also didn't hate it. It is a fast and easy read at only about 190 pages. What kept me from truly being able to fully love this book instead of just feeling lukewarm about it was
Angela
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Niki is a vampire, but one with revenge on her mind. She was turned unwillingly and is out for revenge for her sire, the vamp who turned her, because he also killed her entire family. She is tormented by their lost and sad souls and is out to set them free by killing Thomas, the vampire who did it all! She finally tracks Thomas, but runs right into a big muscular brick wall of sorts, Shane. Shane is the Sheriff of the town Niki is in now and he also is a Keeper of peace between the paranormal ...more
Tawn
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Bloodstorm. You can read the synopsis on everyone's review so I will share a few of things/characters that I really enjoyed.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the opening with the witch and dark setting. I'm not crazy about books with witches and didn't know how much magic would be in the novel, I like to stay open minded and creepiness only lasted the prologue. I just glanced over the opening again because I forgot it (that's how into the rest of the story I got)

I really like
Obscured Vixen
To read this review and an interview with author Amber Kallyn, click here.

This book was awesome! The story was fast paced and action packed, just how I like it. It also had characters that were realistic; characters that felt like real people you would want to hang out with.

Niki DeVeraux shows up in town and immediately knows she isnt wanted: the humans dont want her around because shes a vampire, and the vampires dont want her around because shes not part of their clan.

So when dead bodies start
Shirley
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while I pick up a freebie that blows me away. Thats exactly what happened when I read Bloodstorm. The synopsis sounded interesting, so I decided to give it a try. It was totally worth it.

Niki and Shane were great. Most of the characters in the PNR reads that Ive picked up recently have had a male character act as the tortured bad guy who needs saving. In this case, it was a woman and she was everything you would expect from a tortured, broken main character who was seeking
Melanie Adkins
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Paranormal*

Shane Spencer was still adjusting to his new life. The Fates had chosen him over his older brother to follow in his father's footsteps as Shaman. He felt guilty and unsure of his new position. Adding to this, Shane is the sheriff too. Nicola DeVeraux is a reluctant vampire. Her life was set before being turned. She was engaged and happy. Thomas, her sire, killed her entire family. She wanted revenge. After tracking him for centuries, Nicola finds him in this small town. She's
Becky
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In book one of the Heart of the Vampire Series, Niki DeVeraux is on the hunt for the man who changed her and murdered her family. Her families ghost keep haunting her to find him and destroy him. She hunts down Thomas to a small town in Arizon where she finds the Sheriff,Shane Spencer, more than she bargained for. Shane is a shaman and the Keeper of the Peace in a town where an old vampire Archaine is leaving peacefully amongst wolf shifters and humans. The town is turned into a bloody mess when ...more
Jane Kelsey
I liked this book quite a lot, I was hooked from the first page, the story of this female vampire who's n a quest to get revenge on her sire, the one who murdered her entire family. good, strong writing, but there are a few plot holes that i didn't like how they got filled. I never understood the ghost part, never got passed the soulmates idea, it's too overrated, didn't understand why the hell she was getting hot under his touch when she was basically... dead. And the sex scenes in my point of ...more
Nicole
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love truly does conquer all.

Niki and Shane are a couple that shouldn't be together in every aspect, but the Fates have a different plan for them. At first glance they both feel that there is something more between them then just sexual tension. As time goes on and he learns her story....he falls even more for her. Along the way he says some hurtful things and fears that he's ruined everything he could have with her. They battle shifters and vampires together, both taking a beating here and
Katherine Owen
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Bloodstorm" by Amber Kallyn is a great read with a strong heroine in Niki DeVeraux as the beautiful vampire who comes to a mysterious small town to kill the sire vampire, Thomas, who killed her family two centuries before. A determined Niki is solely focused on revenge when she encounters the local sheriff, Shane Spencer, who appears to be more than just the keeper of the peace in town and unexpectedly captivates her attention. The author does a great job of building suspense and intrigue as ...more
Vera Maslow
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Another I got as a Kindle Freebie.
Had some interesting ideas, but mediocre implementation. I couldn't get into the characters or the relationships. The dialogue was sometimes strangely formal. It felt like the author was still trying to figure out her style/voice. Could probably use the help of an amazing editor. Wasn't terrible, but wasn't something I am raving about or wanting to see more of.
Deb
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, THIS IS SO EXCITING!! A DIFFERENT VAMP/WERE/PARANORMAL STORY, AND I LOVE IT!!! SO MUCH GOING ON AND NOT THE NORM , WHICH IS SO REFRESHING!!! VERY HAPPY TO SEE IT IS A SERIES AND NOW ON TO THE NEXT BOOK!! I KNOW THE OTHERS WILL BE A GREAT AS THIS ONE AND CAN'T WAIT!!!
lesley dawn wallace
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bloodstorm

Bloodstream (heart of a vampire) is a great read lots going on in this story all the paranormal is great
Kissie Harris
I read this book over a year ago. I loved it. The storyline was really good. The characters were well developed. The writing was well done.
Evelyn Dotson
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Niki is a vampire who is a little over two hundred years young. Her mission in life is to kill the vampire who sired her and killed her family. She can see ghosts, and her families follows her everywhere. Thomas is the vampire who killed her family and herhe is now killing at random across the United States. Shane is a sheriff in a small town in Arizona. He is also the shaman of the family, currently. He is a Keeper, the one who keeps the peace between supernatural factions at any cost. He ...more
*Flora*
A Good Paranormal Romance To Start A New Series.

I think that this story is OK but I won't be following the series. This book isn't marketed as a YA which was why I downloaded it (it's currently free) but our heroine was turned into a vampire a couple of centuries ago when she was only 17 and with hindsight, I feel that this has a great impact on the story.

I really enjoyed the first half a dozen chapters; it was action-packed, well written and starred a heroine who was resilient, self-reliant and
Vicki
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Niki was made vampire when she was 17 years old. She lived in New Orleans. The vampire that turned her and killed her family was evil, sadistic, vile creature named Thomas. She has been chasing him for over 200 years. She plans to kill him and set the spirits of her family free. If she kills her sire the Council will send Keeper and kill her. Shane is the sham, Keeper and the sheriff of Moss Creek.
Really exciting and fast paced book. Couldn't put it down.
T.M. Davis
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read

I love the tension between Shane and Niki. The backstory is a bit cliche but the intensity of the reaction is extreme. Add the haunting, and the shaman aspects and is an intriguing read. It was one I could put down but only for short periods and always went back to. Adding the swiss to my TBR list.
Tracy Parker
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty Good

Not really different from the normal vampire storylines. But, it was interstellar and the writing was good and characters were likeable. Not continuing the series at this time.
Kelly
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the characters, the author brought them to life. Niki is a bada** vampire. Shane, I did like him, but I hated his attitude towards the paranormal, even though he has and utilizes magic, he's a jerk until near the end.
Sandy
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the Native aspect...

...as well as the vampire and wolf characters. Shane and Niki's attraction finally turned into a HEA. Sexy without being too graphic (although I have nothing against that, lol). A very entertaining read.
sabra torok
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this quick reading novel. Super rotten bad guy, handsome, gallant and very sexy sheriff, and tormented, but good-hearted vampire heroine. What's not to like? I would suggest this book for the time when you just want some light reading.
Charlotte Lowe
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bloodstorm

Loved the variations within this paranormal world. The merging of Apache, werewolf and vampire was a good mix. I also enjoyed the female being the vampire.
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Humm

This one was a nice fast read and the characters were fairly written. The climatic was a bit disappointing though.
Deborah Tucker
Feb 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
I Did Not Finish

I stopped reading by 3rd chapter. Ridiculous, unbelievable.
I adore vampire books, but this one was terrible. A shaman made it worse.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Vampire Bewitched (Deathless Night #1)
  • Dead of Night (Thorne Hill, #1)
  • Perfect Mate (Project Rebellion, #1)
  • Wizard's Chance (The Realm, #1)
  • Witchin' Impossible (Witchin' Impossible #1)
  • Fever Claim (The Sigma Menace #1)
  • Enter the Witch (Witches of Whisper Grove Book 1)
  • Witch's Bell 1 (Witch's Bell #1)
  • Spells & Death (Paranormal MI5, #1)
  • Skin and Bones (The Ever Chace Chronicles, #1)
  • Kissed by Magic (Mayhem & Magic #1)
  • Extreme Medical Services (Extreme Medical Services #1)
  • Summer Magic (Thorne Witches, #1)
  • The Witch of the North Pole (Cinnamon Mercy Claus, #1)
  • Awakened (Vampire Awakenings, #1)
  • Digging the Wolf (Wolves of Crookshollow, #1)
  • The Witching Hour: 11 Enchanting Novels Featuring Witches, Wizards, Vampires, Shifters, Ghosts, Fae, and More!
  • The Wild Hunt (Faerie Sworn, #1)
One of those rare breeds, Amber Kallyn is an Arizona native who can trace her family's history through six generations in the state. She lives with her four very active children. Included in the menagerie are four cats (though there's always room for more) and a cute little python.

Visit me at www.AmberKallyn.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/AmberKallyn
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AmberKallyn

Heart of a Vampire (8 books)
  • Hungerstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #2)
  • Darkstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #3)
  • Magicstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #4)
  • Firestorm (Heart of a Vampire, #5)
  • DemonStorm (Heart of a Vampire, #6)
  • Coldstorm (Heart of a Vampire, Book 7)
  • Heart of a Vampire (Book Bundle, Books 1-3)

News & Interviews