Start by marking “Day Soldiers (Day Soldiers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Day Soldiers (Day Soldiers, #1)

Day Soldiers

(Day Soldiers #1)

For ten years now, humanity has been at war with the creatures of darkness. The war has changed the world. The day now belongs to humanity and the night belongs to things once thought to exist only in myths and legends... but there is hope.

This new enemy has united humanity and an army has stepped forward to protect the light from the darkness. An army of heroes.

The Day So
Published April 1st 2012

To ask other readers questions about Day Soldiers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Day Soldiers

Start your review of Day Soldiers (Day Soldiers, #1)
Kel (Faerie-bookworm)
That was amazing. I could so picture it as a movie and would definitely go see it. I loved the adventure and action and suspense. I'm so glad Hale was willing to share this book for reviews and that I didn't miss out. Action packed right from the start with great characters, I had to force myself to put it down just to go to bed and then it took me awhile to fall asleep because I was still thinking about it. As soon as I got up I had to finish it, I had to know what was going to happen. I knew t ...more
E.B. Boggs
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Hale has a talent for keeping the reader involved in the story. An action packed page-turner. Hordes of undead, that's all I'm saying . . .
Yzabel Ginsberg
(Book reviewed for ARR #19 in the We ♥ YA Books! group.)

When I asked if I could read & review "Day Soldiers", I did so because the pitched elicited some interest in me. The prospect of a war between humans and the creatures of darkness looked like something that would provide me with mild fun and a pleasant quick read. To be honest, I didn't expect a lot from this novel—just that: being a fun and easy read.

And then I got hooked.

The prologue itself, in the form of a declaration of war, immediatel
Lexie
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved Day Soldiers! It was a fantastic story. Some vampire stories can be a little overplayed, but this one starts with action immediately. Lily and Leo lure 3 vampires into a trap because the vampires are targeting their town. They inadvertently kill a high ranking werewolf, which sets a chain of events in motion that will alter their lives forever. Trust me; what happens next is something I’ve never seen in a Vampire book. It’s well worth the read!!!!

Lily is an 18 year old girl with a seriou
Stephen
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I know the author, so I admit it was with some trepidation that I first opened 'Day Soldiers', because I fully intended to review it honestly. Fortunately, I was hooked from the beginning and became a fan of the story and characters. The people, places and dialogue are very natural and realistic, which helps ground the distinctly supernatural events of the novel. After all, in a near future where vampires and werewolves are waging war against the human race, you need that believability, and this ...more
Chris Philbrook
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. The premise sounded very interesting, but as the story developed, I couldn't get over some of the leaps in logic required for the plot to advance.

I don't want to spoil the book, or sound too negative about it, so Brandon if you read this, please understand I'm trying to be constructive.

The heroes Lily and Leo are teenagers who have their town destroyed by vempires, partially due to actions of their own. Immediately, with no training, they are suddenly able to d
Valerie (Howler_Puff)
Don't let the cover fool you..this is a really good book and a start to a great series!

Werewolves were "outed" 10 years ago and the start of a war begun. Werewolf and vampires vs. humans. For 10 years the Day Soldiers have been in place to "Protect The Night" and 18 year old Lily wants to be one of them. Lily is such a badass! You know from the first chapter that this girl means business! She also suffers the most loss in the book. I really liked her! I know if there is ever a vampire/werewolf
Chloe (Girl In The Woods Reviews)
When I finished reading DAY SOLDIERS I loved it. Yeah, I didn't know how it would end but I actually felt giddy and rapidly excited when I continued reading this book. I especially loved the main protagonist, Lily and Leo plus Scott. They were fierce, knowledgeable and different characters that made this book as it is now. A kick-butt novel, DAY SOLDIERS was deeply interesting and fascinating from vampires, werewolves and humans alike, I enjoyed this book :)
Ked
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The story grabs you from page one and doesn't let go till the cover is closed. I could see this story being adapted to film it read so vividly in my mind. I love the old time monster feel with the modern twists. Great book!
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank We ❤ YA Books and Brandon Hale for the opportunity to read and review this fabulous book!

From Goodreads:

The Day S
Anna McIntyre
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While vampires, werewolves and apocalypse tales are typically not my thing – Day Soldiers drew me in immediately. Well written and original, it’s more than a horror and adventure story. Its characters are well developed and the dialogue entertaining and often humorous, in spite of the dark and heavy topic. As I read the story, I often wondered if the protagonist was on the right side – and if she might come to question that herself. I loved the characters, and I cared what happened to them, whic ...more
Yalle Ondarza
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story. The book had me hooked from the very first page. I liked how he explained the historical events let to the present ones without being boring. The characters were very easy to identify with and were full of live. Loved the action sequences.

Even if you do not like werewolfs and vampires, you can still enjoy this book purely because of the storyline and all the twists and turns.
Sharon Michael
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not quite a 'keep to re-read' for me so it didn't make the 5 stars, but close.

I like urban fantasy/apocalyptic theme but am not all that fond of most of the vampires and werewolves in most cases. This handled the werewolves very well and the vampires were well written, with an interesting twist also.

Good characterization, fast pace, entertaining read.
Christine Fonseca
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
What a fabulous read! I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, the writing and a fresh take on a familiar plot. OUTSTANDING!
David
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun book. I found myself not wanting to put it down.
John Podlaski
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has been in my Kindle library since 2014 and was continuously passed over until now. I don't usually read fantasy but for some reason, I thought I'd give it a try. I was hooked by the end of the first chapter and on board until the end.

Since the big war ten years ago, when Vampires and Werewolves made themselves known to the world, cities were taken, boundaries established, and defenses put in place. Humans have been on the defense as hordes of monsters continue to attack the populace
E.W. Grey
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is a favorite for a reason!! The main characters are everything you wish you were in a world they have very little control in.

Just the right amount of humor, heartbreak, and heroism..along with SOME hero-worship that may be thrown in. There are surprises and it will make you smile just as much as you sniffle!!
Cristine
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book in ages

Don’t let a summary of vampires and werewolves make you think of Twilight and skip this amazing book. This book is surprising, hardcore, and thrilling. Every time I thought I knew were it was headed, I was totally wrong, and always in the best way.
Travis
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, smashwords
Interesting story. I especially find it turning some of the myths about vampires and werewolves on their heads to be very nice story points. Very well done. Looking forward to more in the series.
Bill
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Day Soldiers fight to reclaim the world from a werewolf/vampire alliance
Melanie
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Doug Lamoreux
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Nov 2017 the minions of darkness, vampires and werewolves, declared war on mankind. Ten years later, that war rages. That's the situation on page 1 of Brandon Hale's Day Soldiers. When I first got hold of it, I wanted to like Day Soldiers very badly. I hated it when I first started reading. And I wound up in love with it. Day Soldiers is a wonderful bit of original horror.

I wanted to like it because of the author, Brandon Hale. I don't know him personally. I've seen his pictures on the intern
Angel Grimes
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
**Contains a mild spoiler**

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time! And to top it off, it was a free download on my kindle, which is why all authors should have book 1 of a series as free in this day and age. It's not something I would have bought, I doubt it's even something that I would have looked at if it weren't for the fact that I was idly browsing free books. The plot sounds weak and aimed entirely at teenage girls; teenage girl finds herself fighting vampires and werewolve
Rose
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires, war
I'm a little confused. I just don't understand how vampire/werewolf stories like Twilight and Vampire Academy are so popular and have such a following when Day Soldiers is relatively unknown but by far a better book. I never heard of it before I picked it up as a kindle freebie and even then it sat in my library untouched for months. I just had no idea I was putting off something so good. This story was incredible!! I often say a book was so good I couldn't put it down, but in reality I do put i ...more
This book had some unique elements and some elements that didn't quite jive for me.

I didn't end up feeling close to any of the characters. Though I could see it as a sci-fi TV movie special because the components were there to create a paranormal action movie. In that there were paranormal creatures and butt-kicking, and I've noticed a movie theme, and that sort of thing tends to go over well.

I also suspect that the author got sick of having lead characters who always hesitate at crucial moments
Jonathan Brazee
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best lycanthropic/vampire books I've read for quite some time. I enjoyed every page, and that's the bottom line for any book.

The book takes place in a near future where the werewolves and vampires of legend show themselves to wage war on humankind for their wanton destruction of the planet. The "science" of the author's universe was pretty well thought out. That aspect wasn't as detailed as I have seen elsewhere, perhaps, but it never-the-less was logical and without contradi
MegaSolipsist
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Loved the beginning, hated the rest.
This book started off brilliantly. I thought it would be the next Skulduggery Pleasant, but then everything became so much like a child's fan-fiction I couldn't even finish the book. I gave up 4/5 of the way through.
The one problem I have with Skulduggery Pleasant is that most character have a similar sense of humour, but with them it is clever and witty jokes and one-liners, so I can forgive them easily. In this book EVERY character has an identical sense of
Chris Ward
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Day Soldiers is quite unlike anything I've ever read, and I mean that in a good way. I am a notoriously slow starter of books, particularly when I’m reading the author for the first time, but once I was a couple of chapters in Day Soldiers flowed along at a rapid pace.

Day Soldiers is the story of Lily Baxter, an 18 year old girl growing up in a world where werewolves and vampires have declared war on humanity. After witnessing the death of everyone she knows she joins the Day Soldiers, and goes
Jason
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy Fans
Shelves: urban-fantasy
In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I know the author pretty well and consider him a friend. As far as I know, he considers me one as well, although after the three star rating he might change his mind.

That said, if I didn't know the author, I would have rated the book four stars. Its an excellent urban fantasy read. It also has amazing potential to be MORE. I enjoyed the action, but was left wanting with character exploration. All of the characters show the beginnings of e
J.R.C. Salter
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
So I saw the trailer for this book on Youtube and was immediately excited about it. I am currently in the middle of reading about 10/11 books and didn't really want to start another, but when I began it, I couldn't really stop.

It is a book that keeps you guessing where the plot is heading. With most stories, you can almost map the plot from the first few chapters. All my thoughts of the authors intentions dissipated with chapter 4. And it all changed again later on.

The characters are interesting
« previous 1 3 next »
What do you think? 4 14 Aug 30, 2013 09:31AM
Apocalypse Whenever: Free on Kindle: Day Soldiers 1 16 Aug 15, 2013 07:39AM

• The Tetradome Run
  • Call of Courage: 7 Novels of the Galactic Frontier
  • Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, #1)
  • The Names of the Dead
  • SAS: Body Count (The Wicked Will Perish, #1)
  • Cold Lake (David Wolf, #5)
  • First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, #1)
  • Killing the Dead (Killing the Dead #1)
  • Syndicate Wars: First Strike (Syndicate Wars, #1)
  • Destination Unknown (Wings of Steele #1)
  • Recruited (Rayna Tan #0.5)
  • Rustlers in the Sage: A Western Novella
  • Primary Target (Forging of Luke Stone #1)
  • The Third Eye of Jenny Crumb (Jenny Crumb, #1)
  • Mary
  • An Icy Death (High Country Mystery Series, #5)
  • The Demonic
Brandon Hale grew up in a small Virginia town. It was in that town that he met his first love: Horror books and movies. He wrote his first full length novel when he was 17. In the decades since, he has written nonstop, producing multiple novels and short stories.

Brandon's first published novel was The Gods and the Builders. Shortly after that, his second novel - Day Soldiers - was released. Brand

Day Soldiers (4 books)
  • Purging Fires (Day Soldiers, #2)
  • Topia (Day Soldiers, #3)
  • Evolution (Day Soldiers, #4)