Start by marking “Under Fire” as Want to Read:
Under Fire

Under Fire

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
A Boston firefighter is shot and killed in the line of duty while rescuing Amina Diallo and her fifteen-year-old son, Malick, from their burning store. Diallo, a Senegalese Muslim immigrant, is arrested for arson and murder, and will likely be convicted in record time.

Published November 27th 2012 by Forge Books (first published June 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Under Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Fire

Miles
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
A Boston firefighter is shot and killed in the line of duty while rescuing AminaDiallo and her fifteen-year-old son, Malick, from their burning store. Diallo, a Senegalese Muslim immigrant, is arrested for arson and murder, and will likely be convicted in record time.

Attorneys Sarah Lynch and Buddy Clancy face more than racial and religious prejudice in this impossible courtroom battle. Diallo is targeted by a gunman in open court, a key defense witness is attacked, and documents are stolen. So
James Korsmo
I loved this book. It was truly a pleasure to read and is a powerful debut from an attorney-turned-novelist who has obviously taken care to hone her writing craft. The story centers around a fire that breaks out in a Senagalese Market in Boston. During the rescue of the two occupants from the apartment above the store, one of the firefighters is shot and killed. The fire appears to be arson, and the store owner, Amina Dialla, a Senagalese immigrant, is arrested and charged. The story unfolds in ...more
Joyce
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flammable But Not Explosive

Margaret MacLean's experience as a former prosecutor lent credibility to this novel in specific areas. Her first-hand knowledge of arson investigations is the strongest appeal in the story. Set in Boston, a trial involves a Muslin immigrant woman from Senegal accused of arson and murder of a Boston fireman. The fireman left a young pregnant widow with small children generating a plethora of sympathy from the fire department and community.

After finishing the book, I re
William Bentrim
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A Burning Courtroom Drama
A superb courtroom drama with volatile emotional context is the theme of this book.

Sarah Lynch is an attorney is not practicing law, she is playing hockey. As this book takes place in Boston, her career change is not seen as terribly radical. She had a bad experience that is alluded to but never explained. Her eccentric Uncle Buddy Clancy, worried over her state of mind, entices her to the dark side, that of defending an accused criminal rather than the prosecution side
Rosemarie
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book is meatier and the characters more substantial than the usual legal thriller. From the beginning of this well-written and edited first novel, it is apparent that the author knows quite a bit about both courtrooms and fire investigations.

When the store of Amina Diallo, a black Muslim refugee from Senegal, is torched; and a fireman is shot and killed attempting to rescue her and her son from the burning building, there is an immediate rush to judgment. Amina is arrested for both crimes
Christine
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars.

My thoughts:

I couldn't put this one down. I thought it was a very well written courtroom thriller that kept me entertained for an entire evening. If you like reading this type of book, I think you will find it a good read. It does have a lot of legal proceedings and jargon in it so it can get a bit 'dry' at times.

Things that I liked:

I really liked the character of Buddy. He provided much needed comic relief when things were getting a bit dry and serious. I loved his bow ties!

Sarah was
Tiffany
Really enjoyed the emotions that I felt while reading this book. It is one of the few books where I actually cared what happened to all parties in the book. It was a well presented book that kept me guessing about how the author would make it all work out the way I felt that it should. She did and made the story work well together.

This story starts out from the perspective of a Firefighter who is trying to save a single mom and her son from the fire that is burning in their home and store. Need
Johanna Bouchard
I found Under Fire to be an interesting book. Margaret McLean has a wonderful ability to conjure up clear images in the mind, and her characters had a humorous and very human touch. I do take slight issue with the way in which she approached such a sensitive subject, (I would elaborate, but I don't want to give away too much from the book) although I do understand her reasoning. Still, I thought it was a bit in poor taste.
Never the less, the plot was an interesting one, and I had fun trying to
Tiffany
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

Rachael
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachael by: goodreads giveaway
Won this book from a Goodreads giveaway, which is always awesome, thanks Goodreads!!

Under Fire is a about a fireman who got shot and died saving a mother and her son from there burning store/apartment. I started reading the book late in the afternoon and it keep me up till 3:30 in the morning reading, i was totally in the book and didn't want to put it down. About half way thru it i started to lose some instrest. All that court room talk can get boring. I even skipped right on over the closing a
Andrea
May 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from a Goodreads to read and review. Thank you!

The book was okay. The beginning had me groaning because there are way too many fire metaphors. It took me awhile to get into the book. I would read it and then find something else to do because I was bored, but after about the first 100 pages or so, I read more consistently. It is pretty formulaic, but it did have me guessing until the end about part of the plot.

The writing is sort of stilted. I think it seemed that way because
Leah
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-won
What I have before me is an Uncorrected Advance Reading Copy. I've never read a legal thriller before so I have nothing to compare this to in the book's genre, but I can compare it to other books I've read. I'm surprised by how easy the story is to read and how much of a page turner it has turned out to be.

The story is told mostly from the view of the main character, Sarah Lynche, a former prosecutor and silver medalist for USA Women's Ice Hockey. Her uncle persuades her to work with him on defe
Tammy Ramey
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a truly wonderful book. the characters were intriguing and full of depth and vitallity. it was very easy to become emotionally connected to each of the characters and to empathize with them and what they were going through. the plot was also complex and stimulating and was not one of those that you could solve in the first 5 minutes but it left you guessing until the end as to who did what. a truely great story by a gifted writer. if this is the type of book that you enjoy then this is ...more
Candice Mckinney
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from Goodreads. Under Fire is about a fireman who was shot while saving a mother and a son from their burning apartment above their store. The fire started in the store. The characters were well developed. Sara Lynch and her uncle Buddy Clancy were the lawyers for the defense after the mother was charged with setting the fire and killing the fireman. This book has a lot of twists and turns as Sara and her Uncle prepare the defense. Margaret McLean has the characters so well defin ...more
Chip
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read mystery/courtroom/dramas. This book is exactly why. Too many cliches. Too predictable. And to be honest courtroom chatter is boring and oh so redundant. Many pages had the same things from different witnesses. And the jury I think if I closed my eyes and guested I would have picked the jury she chose. Hey if you like the genre and like to read something familiar go for it...just not for me.
Andy Plonka
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of a Sanegalese woman who is accused of setting fire to her small grocery store in Boston to collect insurance money. In addition she is said to have murdered a fireman who was trying to save her and her son. A good legal mystery with a fair amount of insight into how juries think and how lawyers act to best present the evidence.
Carla
Jun 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my typical genre but I fairly enjoyed the novel. Did not fully grab all of my attention. I set the book aside quite a few times before I finished it. Unfortunately, I had the true culprit pinned from the get go which may be why it took me so long to read the book. Did not leave me hanging if I put the book down. A well written novel by the author.
Kyle Gebhard
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this last night.. Was a good book overall. Kind of similar to some other court/criminal investigation books I've read. Hard to put down sometimes and it flowed well. Predictable ending in my eyes except there is a decent twist.
Cori North
Aug 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good premise for a courtroom drama, but the writing was was so choppy it was hard to keep reading. This ridiculously short chapter to end at a climactic moment thing drives me Crazy. Character development is almost nil. Dan Brown has alot to answer for...
Fredrick
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Great court room mystery that reminds me of the Perry Mason series. Lots of intrigue without the rampant graphic sex and profanity that so many modern writers have to resort to.
Ray Daniel
Looking forward to this one! Just started it.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advance-read
Former prosecutor Sarah Lynch helps her uncle defend an immigrant woman accused of killing a Boston firefighter.
Whtyac
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful and definitely predicatable with the exception of revelation at the end. Loved Uncle Buddy.
Mary
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if you like courtroom drama, this is good
CLM
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: BPL
An enjoyable legal thriller with interesting characters and a vivid Boston setting.
Jean
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy reading courtroom drama, you'll like this book. There are many twists and turns as you go through the story. It keeps you in suspense until the end as to what actually happened.
Bernadette
Well written legal thriller. I learned a lot about fire investigations and the courtroom process.
B.
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011

Bonnie Tesch
Standard thriller, reasonably diverting but ultimately forgettable.
Lisa
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great courtroom mystery with themes that will resonate with those living in CNY even though it's set in Boston.
« previous 1 3 next »
LOST PRIZE COPY -NEVER RECEIVED 1 1 Aug 07, 2011 09:54AM
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • Every Move She Makes
  • The Katyn Order
  • Your Teacher Said What?! Defending Our Kids from the Liberal Assault on Capitalism
  • Pitch Dark
  • Dinner at Deadman's
  • Me & Jack
  • The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)
  • Zero Balance (Eviscerating the Snake, #2)
  • Between a Rock and a Grace Place: Divine Surprises in the Tight Spots of Life
  • Pulse
  • So Trashy (Bad Boy Next Door, #2)
  • Nat Tate: An American Artist: 1928-1960
  • Dread Champion
  • Neon Dragon (Knight and Devlin, #1)
  • Mob Rules: What the Mafia Can Teach the Legitimate Businessman
  • Dying Declaration
Margaret McLean was born and raised in Rome, New York. She graduated magna cum laude from Boston College and earned her law degree from Boston College Law School. McLean practiced law as a criminal prosecutor and currently teaches law at Boston College’s Carroll School of Management. In 2010, she was hailed as one of the next faces of Boston crime fiction by The Boston Globe. She has cowritten a d ...more
More about Margaret McLean...