Start by marking “At the Foot of the Lighthouse” as Want to Read:
At the Foot of the Lighthouse

At the Foot of the Lighthouse

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  25 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
I am American. We are all Americans.
The year is 1942. A Japanese-American girl’s life is turned upside down by Executive Order 9066, and she must cope with a life confined to the barbed wire of an internment camp in the Arizona desert. There, she struggles to weigh her continued loyalty to her country (which has betrayed and ostracized everyone she loves) against a closely
Published May 2nd 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about At the Foot of the Lighthouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Foot of the Lighthouse

karen
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

The farms that we left behind in California now live again in Gila River, converted from some of the Indians’ alfalfa fields. We have cattle and chickens and cucumbers, surviving on once-stubborn loam, baking in the desert. Uncle Mamoru’s strawberries are from another life, from a dream. This is waking.

review to come.

read it for yourself here:

Lata
3.5 stars. #22 short story.

The setting is harsh; the lead up to and then internment of Japanese Americans, or Americans as they saw themselves. (Japanese Canadians were also treated like garbage by the Canadian government during WWII, as I found out during high school.)

There was some gorgeous writing in the story, and I found the ending abrupt (yes, I know it's a short story), horrifying, and uncomfortable. I've read the author's reasons and I understand them, but I am still uncomfortable, even
Burgandy Ice
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
O.M.G.

This story is not long... I want to say, "just go read it real quick and get your own impression" 'cause it's short and fast and free at Tor.com. But I didn't read it until I saw the review at Calico Reaction... and the review was pretty mind-blowing. (Which is how I found the story!)

For being so short, it's jamb-packed with explosive emotion. I've experienced some prejudice and maybe that effects my understanding of the story, but the author's intentions were immediately clear to me. I r
Risa
At the Foot of the Lighthouse is a short story that can be found for free at Tor.com. Even though it is free it is defiantly a story worth reading.

The story takes place during World War II at a time when the United States was at war with Japan which lead to internment camps in the USA to be made. The main character in At the Foot of the Lighthouse, Amy (also called Aki-san by her grandmother), is a young Japanese girl living in an internment camp during this time.

At the Foot of the Lighthouse ta
Autumn
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, if slightly disturbing yet thought provoking short story. Highly recommend. You can read the entire story on the Tor.com website- http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/05/at... . You can purchase an ebook version as well for only .99 cents. Will definitely be purchasing!

{erika}
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful storytelling and poignant for such a short piece. The narrative is so heartfelt and believable with such an important and under discussed topic. Wish this was a full length novel to be read!
Robin
Nov 04, 2012
Heather
Feb 26, 2013
Erin Hoffman
May 02, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Matthew Harbowy
Livvy
Lily
Sherry
Oct 08, 2017
Erin Hoffman was born in San Diego and now lives in northern California. She started an online writing group at age 15, and at 18 started as an assistant game designer for Simutronics on DragonRealms. Her other game credits include Shadowbane: The Lost Kingdom, GoPets: Vacation Island, Kung Fu Panda World, and FrontierVille. She also serves on the International Game Developers Association’s board ...more
More about Erin Hoffman