Start by marking “Blackmail Earth” as Want to Read:
Blackmail Earth

Blackmail Earth

3.12  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The Morning Show's star meteorologist, Jenna Withers, reports on the blistering conditions of a nationwide drought every day. But nothing this alluring young woman has ever experienced can prepare her for the terrifying intersection of extreme weather and extreme politics.

After Jenna receives a controversial appointment to a special White House task force on geoengineering
Published June 19th 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Blackmail Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackmail Earth

Hilary
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, thriller
Sometimes my random library picks just don't work out. My main problem with this book is that the author didn't know what it was. Suspenseful political thriller? Murderous crime novel? Pre-apocalyptic warning?

To give you an idea of what I mean, let's play count the stereotypes. Attractive and somewhat patronized weather girl: check. Misogynistic, alcoholic, unscrupulous and aging reporter: check. North Korean communists: check. Extreme Islamic terrorists: check. (view spoiler)
Marci
As the world is plunged into a drought brought on by global warming, meteorologist Jenna Withers must balance a new flame with the impending terrorist plots that threaten to lunge the world into the next ice age. Evans attacks the issue of global warming in his new novel as the higher temperatures lead not only to drought conditions, but also to higher rates of violent crime. Although the novel eventually turns into a page turner, the varying points of view make it a bit difficult to dig into ri ...more
Rick Bavera
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The idea of the book--weather issues, and trying to "fix things", while terrorists are running around trying to mess up the fixes and take the fixes too far and trying to completely destroy the world--was interesting.

The story and the writing kept me interested enough to finish the book. It was okay.

Just not believable for me.

And mixing Maldivian terrorists with Korean terrorists and witches and pagans just seemed a bit over the top and hard to digest.
Alisha Kennedy
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I avoided this book for a little while, but as we all know "Don't judge a book by its cover, or the summary on the back either". Once in to it you will want to see what happens next and it makes you think is this what would really happen if the Global Warming took over? I gave four stars because a few parts were predictable but its a very interesting read.
Becky Rech
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Reminded me of Flood, but not quite as grim. I also think people who liked it would also like One Second After
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was pretty good overall but felt very rushed at the end. It was almost like someone was leaning over his shoulder and said "wrap it up" so he quickly ended the multiple story lines in simple and sometimes fantastic (that would never happen) ways. I was honestly disappointed in the ending and expected more as I love his other books.
Ilana Weiss
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bit slow but at the end it was totally worth it. I was at my grandma's house and brought some books with me but they were all nonfiction and I really didn't feel like reading them so I borrowed a book from my grandma's shelf of books from the library and this one really stood out to me, it was really good. It took a little while to read it though.
Juliana Rose
I actually did enjoy reading this book. It's a good summer read for people who are into these kinds of books.

I really couldn't get behind the end. Way too neatly tied up and left a lot of things unanswered for me.

Another big pet peeve of mine that I couldn't get past- when authors try to include text conversations that sound nothing like the way people actually text.
Barbara
Aug 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bill Evans should not quit his day job. The story would have probably been more successful in a skilled writer's hands. For me, this book was exhausting to read and I wish I could get back all the hours I've wasted reading it. It never got better.
H.S.
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This sounded very interesting... but failed miserably. It took forever to get into the plot and even then I still hated all of the characters. Although I am sure if the SyFy channel gets a hold of a copy of this... they could turn it into an amazingly awful movie. ;)
Tim Yearneau
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book moves at a good clip and has a multiple storylines intertwined. It's not as intense as a Grisham Thriller, but it keeps moving, and humor is woven in as an integral part of the story. Almost to the point the author is mocking his business, the media. Good for him! Anyways, I enjoyed it.
jgyweniverel
I have got to win, or get a copy of this book! This is an 'on the edge of you chair, just one more page then I'll go to sleep' book. Author, if you read this, please send me a copy ASAP! I want to know what happens!
Michael  Starsheen
A great read

I gave this book five stars because it was a good read, suspenseful, and the characters are well crafted. The plot was believable, and more frightening because of that. This is the best book in this series from these authors, and I recommend it highly.
Christine Abbey
Current trend of global warming meets terrorists trying to gain control of earth's climate. Entertaining summer read!
Jim
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book but it didn't 'grab' me as some books do.
Veronica
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting but mediocre novel.
Steven
Steve
Oct 31, 2012
Gayle
Aug 28, 2017
Bill Evans is a multiple Emmy Award-winning, nationally-renowned senior meteorologist. He has appeared on Good Morning America and Live! with Regis and Kelly. Evans has received the Outstanding Meteorologist Award from the National Weather Service and has hosted the National Hurricane Conference. Bill Evans and his family live in Connecticut.
More about Bill H. Evans...