Start by marking “This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don’t Touch It (John Dies at the End, #2)” as Want to Read:

This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don’t Touch It (John Dies at the End #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  19,609 Ratings  ·  1,829 Reviews
Published October 2nd 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about This Book Is Full of Spiders, please sign up.

Montzalee Wittmann They are very connected. You could always watch the movie of the same name..John dies at the end...instead. That's what I did because I couldn't…moreThey are very connected. You could always watch the movie of the same name..John dies at the end...instead. That's what I did because I couldn't afford the book and the wait at the library was long.(less)

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
This is one of the books in my first Nocturnal Reader's Box and I'm excited to read it!

Montzalee Wittmann
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It
Written by: David Wong
Narrated by: Nick Podehl
This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It (John Dies at the End #2) by David Wong is soooo good! I got the audible because I watched the movie for book one and thought listening to the book would be close to 'watching' book two. If you haven't read book one, read it first or watch the movie first. I watched it on Netflix. It is important to know certain details in that b
Goosey
Pre-Read Review: WANT. NOW.

Post-Read Review: I’ve read quite a few books this year - some good, some bad, but nothing that is as near to perfection as this one. Like most fans of “John Dies at the End,” I’ve been waiting for years for Spiders to finally make its way into my hands. And like most, I spent that time wondering if it could possibly be as good as the original. Or… good at all. (Yes, that thought crossed my mind more than once. How could it not?)

Now here I am, having finished Spiders
Bradley
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first book in the series, John Dies at the End, for all it's absurd lovecraftian slacker humor and over-the-top dick jokes and splashy gore and time travel and rastafarian dudes asking you to drink black goo that opens your mind to all the sick and twisted things that crawl around on the surface of the world but you never quite see them.

It was a vision of perfection if you love funny horror. I kinda made a happy dance.

So why didn't I read the second book right away? IDK! I don't have
J.L.   Sutton
The paranoia of the narrator in David Wong's This Book is Full of Spiders drives this book to its spidery apocalyptic ending. The narrator is in turns funny, insightful and painfully annoying. I enjoyed this book (for a while) but found I wasn't looking forward to finishing it. It was an entertaining story, but I had become a little tired of spending more time in the company of the dysfunctional main characters.
Gregor Xane
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My 20 year-old self.
Compared to John Does at the End, the structural problems here are minor. This actually reads like a novel rather than the world's worst 'fix-up.' But, sadly, this wasn't as zany as the first and it didn't have nearly the number of crazy gags, mysterious world building elements, and good humor per page as the first book in this series. It had a promising start but resigned itself to be one extended zombie joke for much of its page count. Thankfully, the last 25% was a return to form and was sati ...more
Evans Light
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it
Going to keep this one short and sweet.

Bottom line: I liked it, and look forward to David Wong's next book.

Did I like it as much as JOHN DIES AT THE END?

Why?

Because even though the story itself was strong, the quality of the writing seemed rushed and the narrative scattered. The personalities of the main characters shifted quite a bit from what I remember in the original book, and the supporting characters in SPIDERS were paper-thin, usually summed up with a description of a celebrity they lo
Liam
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, science-fiction
David Wong is an incredible writer. He isn't an incredible writer because he writes amazingly well. He doesn't. He writes like a seventh grader typing up some stupid story with his friends in his school computer room during lunchtimes.

The incredible part comes in when you take into account that John Dies at the End and now Spiders are two of the most enthralling, unique, funny, touching and interesting novels written in the past ten years. Period.

There is no way that the writing style should wor
Cheighlee
Sorry, I don't want to be "that guy" but I just didn't "bought" it. First book was narrated flawlessly and purposefully with a lot of stuff going on and with no short of interesting things getting explained and a bunch of holy-shit-but-funny moments.

In this book however, I find it very unpleasant to read and then BAM! - some David Wong Cracked related fact that seems so out of place in the context of the book that it just jolts me from enjoying the narrative itself. Also, it felt like a really
Cameron
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Following up the extraordinary John Dies At The End must have been a daunting task. The first in what I'm calling David Wong's David Wong series (the author's name is a pseudonym and is also the main character's name, as the books are written - mostly - in the first person) was a remarkable achievement, blending wit, juvenile and irreverent humor, and a healthy dose of gory horror. The follow-up, with what is one of the greatest titles of any book to date, is the continued adventures of David an ...more
rebecca
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beloved-faves
I received the advance edition in a Goodreads giveaway (yeah!!) having not read "John Dies at the End." I entered because who doesn't want free books? and it looked to be kinda funny.

I'm not great at reviews. I'm not great at articulating what made a book....great. (see?) So I'll just say the following:

- absolutely love the writing style. Love. I won't describe it with the "[Famous Humor Writer] meets [Famous Horror Writer]!" formula....this is, inelegantly stated, its own thing. Funny Parts Ar
YouKneeK
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, look at that cover. On second thought, if you’re afraid of spiders, cover your eyes and scroll on by. I really like it, and I don’t normally take much notice of book covers. Pictures don’t usually do much for me; I’d rather have 1000 words. But apparently I like pictures of books with holes that have book-page-spiders crawling out of them. Who knew?

This book is the sequel to John Dies at the End. Each book tells a complete story that stands on its own, although there are some fun r
Lena

"How did we screw this all up so badly, John?"
He shook his head. "We always find a way."

This Review is Full of Spoilers

Warning: Opinions are of a childless hardcore dog lover.

For 394 pages this book was the crazed, hilarious, thought provoking, action packed tale I expected.

Then that blackguard Wong killed off Molly. Molly was my favorite fictional animal after Rowl from The Aeronaut's Windless.

I understand why they did it.
I understand that in a way it was a compliment both to the charact
Caroline
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
THE thing I love most about this book is that despite the absolute absurdity of everything that happens, the narration makes it feel real. Or at least real enough that it is completely hilarious. I enjoy that sometimes even our narrator, David Wong, is unable to describe what is happening and you get this passage that is basically the most unbelievable bullshit anyone could come up with... but I love it!

The writing is really amazing. It manages to be casual without being overly simple. The relat
Jerilynn
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading John Dies just before I went to work on Thursday, found This Book is Full of Spiders and started reading it after work Thursday night/Friday morning. It's now Saturday afternoon. I almost literally could not put this book down. You read it and think 'oh my god there is no way they can get out of this mess this time' and so you have to keep reading because you're only 50 pages in and if they all die right then, what is the rest of the book about. Again, there are some great one ...more
Alan
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-comedy
What ever I am reading on October 2 will be put aside for the day and a half it will take me to read this.

A more mature (well, relatively), and therefore less original, book than his first. Still, a lot of fun. The book seemed always on the verge of making some profound social commentary or of presenting some meta observation on genre convention, but then just thought better of it. Anyway, it should be easier than JDatE must have been to adapt into a movie.
Chloe
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-owned
This second book in the series is a brilliantly portrayed version of a zombie outbreak, with as much over the top gore, silly humour, and deep, philosophical insights about life and humanity as the first book had me expecting. And I loved it even more than the first one.

I think my favourite thing about this book, was Amy. She is such a realistic and relatable character to me that I adored every bit of time I got to spend in her points of view. I love how this book let us see the POVS of Amy and
Kristin
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristin by: My own stupid sense of humour
Shelves: favorites
"How did we screw this all up so badly, John?" He shook his head. "We always find a way."

John and Dave are fucking things up. Again. This time, they try to rescue the world from spiders that turn people into zombies. Or do they? You never really know in David Wong's stories. You think you do and then... BAM, this is what you get:

John said, "Don't you get it? You're wasting your time, we're just a couple of inconsequential dipshits in this whole thing. The people behind this will take out all thr
Kate
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
One of the blurbs for this book mentions that the author manages to keep up the horror while also being funny, which is both true and an incredibly good thing, because when you're reading a book that's designed to keep your shoulders tight from the suspense--and this book is designed to keep you in suspense--you really need to be able to laugh once in a while, or a lot, or you're probably going to strain something.

The jerkiness of the storyline got a little frustrating around midway through--the
James
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could warp back to the time when I first read John Dies at the End. It was two or three in the morning, I had just discovered that I could browse the internet via my Wii, and I somehow stumbled upon it. The hours that followed (and several months later, after he updated it with the ending) were some of my favorite times reading a book. The raw, unfiltered originality is something that still sticks with me today. I don't think it was a literary work of art, nor do I think the story was n ...more
Terri Jacobson
An outstanding book! The plot is built around a pending apocalypse, and it has everything--evil, horror, wit, irony, humor, monsters, friendship and love. The jacket describes it as a cross between Douglas Adams and Stephen King and I would say that's dead on. I liked this as much or more than any King book I've read. Really original characters. One of the best books I've read this year!
Geoffrey Boyd
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Book is Full of Spiders is an interesting book for many reasons. The poignant and deceptively hilarious narrative is full of provoking ideas and is not at all scared of showing them to you, often alongside descriptions of graphic violence and male nudity. For that reason alone it would be a good book, but there is always more to it.

There's a lot of hidden meat to the story, subtle nods and references that can only be perceived if the reader is paying close attention and has absorbed the boo
Drew Buddie
Oct 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted SO much to like this book, in fact it is a long time since I have shown such doggedness in sticking with a book, even when, in this case, I truly DISliked it.

Great pedgigree, brilliant reviews, gorgeous cover and cracking opening meant that there was SO much in favour of this book being a hit with me. But it wasn't, it just wasn't. The chatty nature of the narrative grated after a while and I found it impossible to stick with the plot developments and was ultimately disorientated by wh
Travis sivarT
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
What the fuck did I just read? I don't even know except it was pure entertainment and awesome.
Jason
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2013
3.5 Stars

This Book is Full of Spiders is both a bit of a disappointment and move towards the ordinary. After the mind blowing John Dies at the End, I had far too high of expectations for the follow up novel. First, I have to admit that this is still a blast of a read and a fast page turner. It is also still stranger and more unique than most fiction these days. It is a piece of bizzaro. Unfortunately, I have read John Dies at the End multiple times and seen the movie, elevating it to unrealistic
Sunil
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It has an amazing title. It is, I should point out, wholly accurate: this book is really fucking full of spiders. Big spiders, little spiders, REALLY big spiders, spiders with human faces, and so on. Being the sequel to one of my favorite books, John Dies at the End , it had a lot of promise. But here's how it goes:

Take everything you hated about John Dies at the End: it's gone.

Take everything you loved about John Dies at the End: oops,
Matthew Brown
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stop. I don’t care what you are doing, stop it. Seriously, stop it right now.
Grab your keys, grab your bike, your favorite pair of shoes, and go buy this book.
Well... I suppose you could flip on your WiFi eBook enabled device, slap down twenty invisible credit moneys and start reading even faster.

To say this book was good is a grossly inadequate yet appropriate understatement.
Understatements, like hyperboles, help create a sense of awe and appreciation for that which is difficult to describe in
Cassandra
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the reviews that I have read from this book, I knew I was going to either love it or hate it.

I am so relieved that I absolutely loved it! As in, I am going to re-read it many many times and forever think of it as a favorite.

I read John Dies at the End about three years ago, and I had never read anything that simultaneously had me laughing so hard I was crying and also terrified to turn the lights out. SO. GOOD. Also, what an original story.

Now, This Book is Full of spiders will not have t
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
This was great.....but....... there was something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but somewhere between John Dies at the End and here, something got lost. The first book had an element of surrealism that completely took me by surprise and had me laughing out loud. This book just didn't have it. I feel like this is what so often happens when a lesser known internet comedy writer suddenly goes to "published author with a movie deal" (because this happens all the time of course). All th ...more
K.T. Katzmann
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, horror
Reading this book is like sitting in a chair opposite David Wong. Only you're duct taped to the chair, because he's a Cracked writer, and probably has seen some serious shit.

"You remember my previous book?" He asks, like a Bond villain making idle chatter.

"What? John Dies at the End? Yeah. That was funny and emotional. Really genuine. I liked the movie, too."

"Good." He smokes some kind of pretentious cigar. "You don't need to have read that, but you'll pick up on some other stuff if you did. Goo
  • Rx: A Tale of Electronegativity
  • Liminal States
  • Johnny Alucard (Anno Dracula, #4)
  • The Book of Cthulhu II
  • The Pilo Family Circus
  • The Apocalypse Codex (Laundry Files, #4)
  • The Croning
  • Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain
  • Breathers: A Zombie's Lament
  • Johannes Cabal the Detective (Johannes Cabal, #2)
  • Oglaf Book Two
  • Talulla Rising (The Last Werewolf, #2)
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • Rampaging Fuckers of Everything on the Crazy Shitting Planet of the Vomit Atmosphere
  • Apocalypse Cow (Apocalypse Cow, #1)
  • We Live Inside You
  • Crossed, Vol. 5
  • City of Devils (City of Devils #1)
David Wong is the pseudonym of Jason Pargin. He is the Executive Editor of Cracked.com, author of John Dies at the End and the New York Times bestseller This Book is Full of Spiders. His third novel, Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits debuted on October 6 2015.

John Dies at the End was adapted into a feature film and debuted at the Sundance film festival in
More about David Wong...

John Dies at the End (3 books)
  • John Dies at the End (John Dies at the End, #1)
  • What the Hell Did I Just Read (John Dies at the End #3)

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • The Unremembered Girl
    $4.99 $2.49
  • We're All Damaged
    $3.99 $1.99
“There are two types of people on planet Earth, Batman and Iron Man. Batman has a secret identity, right? So Bruce Wayne has to walk around every second of every day knowing that if somebody finds out his secret, his family is dead, his friends are dead, everyone he loves gets tortured to death by costumed supervillains. And he has to live with the weight of that secret every day. But not Tony Stark, he's open about who he is. He tells the world he's Iron Man, he doesn't give a shit. He doesn't have that shadow hanging over him, he doesn't have to spend energy building up those walls of lies around himself. You're one or the other - either you're one of those people who has to hide your real self because it would ruin you if it came out, because of your secret fetishes or addictions or crimes, or you're not one of those people. And the two groups aren't even living in the same universe.” 101 likes
“I know the Goliath Fucking Bird-Eating Spider can't fly because if it could, it would have a different name entirely. We would call it "sir" because it would be the dominant species on the planet. None of us would leave the house unless a Goliath Fucking Bird-Eating Spider said it was okay” 84 likes