Start by marking “Redemption” as Want to Read:
Redemption

Redemption

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  583 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
It’s a different world. Space has been colonized, the wealthy fly to work rather than drive, and slavery is legal.

Jason’s family has been ripped apart by tragedy. The only way he can save the ones left is to offer himself up as a bondmate. The more he’s willing to give, the higher the price he can command. And Jason is willing to give a lot.

Devin is wealthy and heartbroken
Published April 1st 2012 by ODC Press

To ask other readers questions about Redemption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption

Emma Sea
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
It's a MacGuffin hunt

This book has zero to do with slavery: the whole bondmate thing is just minor window dressing. Neither does the futuristic setting have any relevance (BTW, the future is just like today. No attempt at world building. It's not "a different world". It's exactly the same world!). It is, rather, mob seeks MacGuffin. You've read/seen this plot a thousand times: Riptide, Moonlighting, NCIS, even Murder She Wrote.

Mild, very general spoiler (view spoiler)
Marte - Thunderella

** 2,5 unbelievable stars **

First of all I've got to say that the blurb and the genres tag (on GR) are completely off for this book in my opinion. Which meant the expectation I had before I started this were not met, so I was disappointed about that. Some of the genre tags were: science fiction, bdsm, gay for you, erotica, fantasy. Those didn't fit AT ALL. I would call this book futuristic, not science fiction. Since it seems it's normal for men and women to be with either gender in this book, t

Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
3.5 THE SEX WAS HOTT BUT IM KINDA CONFUSED STARS

THE YEAR IS 2065

JASON BECOMES A BOND MATE, TOO DEVIN….

OK BONDMATE EXPLAINED ~ CHECK

THEY FLY THINGS CALLED SKIPES- THESE ARE AIRCRAFTS, EXPLAINED ~ CHECK

THEY LIVE IN LA… YES LOS ANGELES BUT ON WHAT PLANET?????? THEY TALKED ABOUT EARTH AND THE SURROUNDING PLANETS BUT NEVER ADVISED WHAT PLANET THEY WERE ON. I NEEDED MORE DETAIL ON THIS, I STILL NEED MORE DETAIL ON THIS. I FEEL AS IF I MISSED A WHOLE CHAPTER OR 2.

MY LIKES IN PICS:

OBVS IT’S ALL ABO
Lauraadriana
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: troubled-past, m-m
2.75-3 stars...First 80% of the book is a solid 4 star read for me, the last 20% maybe 2

Jason's family has fallen apart. His brother and his parents have been killed, and he is not even sure why. He does know they are being preyed upon by a dangerous man. In order to make sure the three people he has left in the world don't meet the same fate he has put himself for sell as a bondmate. He is asking a steep prize for his contract, but the agency finds a buyer, a man named Devin Blair. Devin is we
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
4 stars (2 for first half, 5 for second)

I enjoyed this story and it wasn't what it sounds like at all. This is not slave fiction. iIn fact, I thought Jason acted way to comfortable in Devon's presence from the beginning. He acted more familiar than most people do at a new job and he was clingy very quickly, too. Both got hurt and attached way too quickly for normal people. For people in their situation? It was ridiculous.

The story was very slow moving at first. It picked up and went much faster
Gigi
I read this one when it first came out and absolutely loved it. I plan on re-reading it over the holidays. Tons of angst, smokin' hot sex and a fabulous HEA. All my requirements met.

Highly recommended.
Beck
I really struggled with this one ... I found the whole 'selling yourself into slavery' difficult to swallow given the behavior of the people Jason came into contact with ... on one hand, slavery was 'respected' because it was all consensual, above board & legal BUT he was treated like a two-bit whore by some people too ... the inconsistencies just pulled me from the story ... I did like the HEA so it was worth finishing the book but it isn't a particularly well-done sci-fi plot IMO.
Heller
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, sci-fi
This was a nice little gem of a book. I'd say it's more a 3.5 though with hints of 4.

It's got some interesting world building with a futuristic view of the world and a storyline that I don't normally enjoy, characters selling themselves. Bondmating is a way for people to enter into a contract, short term or long term, exchanging their time, companionship, and talents (work and/or pleasure) for money.

Jason is just a regular guy. A regular guy that ends up needing a lot of money and fast. To get
Barb Gilmour
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. The setting Is very different -- a time when the rich flit around in their own personal planes, and can afford to eat natural food , when most survive on just supplements. Right there is one of my favourite things :-) boy feeds boy chicken noodle soup. It is also possible to contract someone to live with you, work with you, maybe even sleep with you. Devin has been hurt, his ex wife really did a number on him, his PA has left to have a baby, so he decides to get a male ...more
Lori K
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good. The end was fine. I don't understand why everyone else had such an issue with it.
GayListBookReviews
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Title: Redemption
Author: Olivia Duncan Craig
Published: ODC Press (self-published) July 1, 2012
Rating: B list

I'm a sucker for world-building. From the moment I picked up The Hobbit, and Terry Brooks' Shannara series, I've loved being completely taken off Earth and into realms unknown, so the premise of this story grabbed me immediately.

From the opening scene, the emotional nuance of this tale got its hooks into me and would not let go. How does one own another person, consider them an investment
Charlee Allden
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-romance
Jason’s family has been targeted by a dangerous criminal. He’s already lost his brother and his parents. To get enough money to send his sister, sister-in-law, and his brother’s children far out of harm’s way, he will sell 25 years of his life. Becoming a bondmate has the added advantage of obscuring his past and hiding him where no one would expect, in the bed of a wealthy man. Virtually a slave, he loses his name, his right to make his own decisions, his right to anything beyond basic human di ...more
piranha
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
the novel starts with what turns out to be a walk-on character looking in the mirror and giving us a detailed description of herself. no, no, and no. the cliche of a character describing herself in the mirror is bad enough, but the killer is that the character is a total nobody. that's not how you start a dramatic novel. i almost put it away -- for any slush reader it would have not made it past the first page. so i wasn't surprised when i saw it was self-published. dear olivia: read a good book ...more
Dumbledore11214
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was hesitant to purchase this book despite low price and despite good reviews, because slavery novels could be a hit or a *very big miss* for me and they had been a miss in the past much more often than a hit, but then a friend kindly offered to do a kindle loan and I happily accepted. What can I say? I will be buying my own copy as soon as the loan will expire. First and foremost this is not an erotic book IMO, this is a romantic book, the emphasis is on the building relationship between the ...more
Emily
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and to be honest i wish it was a movie.. lets face it though, that will never happen. Its a shame but here isn't a market big enough.

The start confused me first of all, for whatever reason I didn't see/read/notice that it was set in a different time/world. Like i said it was confusing but i just went with it and it helps the book to make sense especially with themes in it.

Everything fits together well in this book and i started to get so into it that every now and then i k
Eli L
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
And this is the reason that people should IGNORE reviews if you see a book and really want to read it. I've had this book sitting in my kindle FOREVER. I bought it despite the negative reviews that were there. Now I get some of what the reviewer issues were with the BOOK, but what they didn't focus on were the parts of the book that were GREAT .. and there were so many things.

Look the book is essentially about selling oneself into slavery. The MC had good reason, but the story wasn't about 'why
Ali
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
This book takes place in a dystopian Los Angeles, though, it is mainly a character story about the two MCs. Devin, rich and wealthy, buys Jason’s contract when he puts himself up for sale as a bondmate.

This story could have gone a lot of ways. It could have been a story about torture or abuse… and there were those elements, but not between the MCs. This was a love story.

I am very forgiving as far as world building is concerned. I know that was a concern for some other reviewers, but I didn’t no
Melissa
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: Barbie
This book is set in the future where you can buy another person's contract much like an indentured servant. Devin buys Jason's contract and becomes both his personal assistant and his companion.

There were some cool things about the future…
everyone eats supplements intead of meals and never gets fat! (sign me up!)
the wealthy fly aircraft instead of driving cars
floating cloud islands

Some things that were not cool..
campy drama
MC with Daddy issues (grow a spine Devin and stand up to your Dad alread
Meggie
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
Really good developed storyline. I got pulled into Jason's fate from the start and I love it all. The story is amazing in my opinion. Jason was really lucky to be bought by Devin. To become Devin's bondmate was interesting plotted idea. Jason's mysterious reason for choosing his path, was pulling part of this story. I was really sad at the end. I wanted more! Jason and Devin were amazing together. We saw how a friendship cannot be bought, but it came develop and expand into love and affection. I ...more
Pamela Su
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable, oddly sweet romance with some slavery themes.

The story is set in a futuristic Earth settings, but the world-building is minimal. The real focus is on the romance between Jason and Devin.

I found the book enjoyable.

It was a little frustrating watching Devin trying to maintain his distance from Jason. His hot and cold act with Jason was understandably hurtful to Jason which I hated. But it all came out good in the end.

The intrigue aspect lent a bit of spice to an otherwise sweet story
Dreamer
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm, explicit, slave, sci-fi, pc, m-m
4.5 stars. Enjoyable m/m sci-fi by newcomer Olivia Duncan Craig. Businessman Devin buys the gorgeous Jason's 20-year contract and so acquires a bond-mate for both business and pleasure.

"You're too tall for me and you're a terrible dancer. You're the worst at saying no - to anything or anyone. And one day you really will eat yourself - or me - into bankruptcy. But I don't want you to go. Not anywhere. Not unless it's with me."
Kristy Maitz
Jun 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Both main characters are strange individuals. They did not pull me into them in wish to know them better.

That secret about Jason history is annoying

Using David and Devin at the same time is little hard to remember who is who

The end plot of the book or rather to say explanation about what did really happen to Jason family is exaggerated.

OMG so much writing time wasted.
S.J. Himes
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost Perfect

Futuristic take on the master/slave trope. Some more emotional intensity and a more solid landing on the ending would have garnered this book a perfect 5 stars from me. Still a praiseworthy effort and well done.
Chancey Knowles
For some reason, I really liked this story. I haven't read any of the other reviewers yet, so I may find upon reading them I won't disagree with their analysis. It may not deserve 5 Stars in some senses. But in comparison to others of similar length, type, and subject, I felt it was much better than most.

I thought the story flowed smoothly. We were shown instead of told a lot of the things as it unfolded. It did not feel overly dramatic nor contrived to me. The world was easily imagined as desc
Gabbi
This is the first book I’ve read by Olivia Duncan Craig and it definitely won’t be my last! I loved the creative world Ms. Duncan created and the storyline was smooth and highly addictive to read. Her easy-style of writing and intriguing and well-written characters quickly captivated me, and held my attention throughout the novel and I hated to see it come to an end.

Jason has a difficult choice to make, but to save his family, he decides to sell himself as a bondmate for a large sum of money for
Charly
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Likeable guys and an intriguing setting

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- The story idea here is familiar in some ways, but it has a fun twist also. I’ve read plenty of books that concern slavery in various forms, but the structure of the men’s relationship in this one is unique, and I was fascinated by it.
- I really liked the setting--it has futuristic touches here and there that aren’t too far out, but it also has a solid background of r
Elisa Rolle
A futuristic approach to the old fashioned Cinderfella story, Redemption is the story of Jason, a young man who has an immediate need for money and the fastest way to find it is to sold himself into a bondmate contract for 20 years. Even if the term “bondmate” can suggest something more romantic, the bondmate contract is basically the modern way to be a slave: accepting the contract Jason accepts to become a property of someone else, man or woman is the same, if they have the money to buy his co ...more
L.E.
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sh-2013-oct, m-m-read
Due to family tragedy, Jason's forced to enter into a contract to become Devin's bondmate -as both companion and personal assistant. Because of some well-meaning, though not entirely correct, advice from several people, Devin holds back in showing Jason kindness/affection at first.

Devin is like a roller-coaster. One minute he's kind and the next he's cold, giving both Jason and I whiplash from his multiple personalities.

Eventually, Jason worms himself into Devin's heart (and mine), and after the
Tutu
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it

If you’re looking for a science fiction romance with a well developed plot, with descriptions of a future world with different customs this will not be the book for you.
Sure, the plot takes place in the future, we have a new concept of bondmates- slaves but all of this does not represent the heart of the story. It's just the premise that starts this book. This is a romance between Jason , a bondmate and Devin, a very wealthy businessman that buys his contract.
The thing with this book is you sho
Shaz
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, slaves, sci-fi
Stunningly simple, yet beautifully written story set in a future United States. I enjoyed this book so much that I resented having to put it down to participate in family obligations lol, and when I had the chance, read until I finished it. Sleep? Who needs it? *grin*

This story is set in a time where, if you have debts you need paid, or you need money (or more accurately credits, as they are called) you have the opportunity to basically sell yourself as a "bondmate". Depending on the amount of c
  • Vassily the Beautiful (The ESTO Universe)
  • Blind Space
  • 18% Gray (Task Force Iota, #1)
  • Outcast Mine
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • Freedom
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Resistance (Power Play, #1)
  • Spice ‘n’ Solace (Galactic Alliance #1)
  • The Degan Incident (Galactic Conspiracies #1)
  • The Experiment  (Saving Caeorleia #1)
  • Line and Orbit (Root Code, #1)
  • Marked Yours (Sentries, #1)
  • Aklesh
  • My Regelence Rake (Sci-Regency #3)
  • Pathfinder
  • Turbulence (Turbulence #1)
  • A Solid Core of Alpha
Livvie has been writing in one form or another for more than fifteen years. Enough kind people encouraged her that she decided to try her luck with the wild and woolly world of indie publishing. So far, so good. Olivia Duncan Craig is not her real name. For various reasons, she needs to lead a double life. That may change one day. She is based out of Washington, DC, but travels extensively for wor ...more