Start by marking “Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)” as Want to Read:
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  405,248 Ratings  ·  33,420 Reviews
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, eac
Published August 7th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published August 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Throne of Glass, please sign up.
Dorian I didn't enjoy either of them. I think there are much better books out there.

The second book only really serves to make Celaena even more "special…more
I didn't enjoy either of them. I think there are much better books out there.

The second book only really serves to make Celaena even more "special snowflake".

Celaena is too over-the-top powerful and special, her skills are mentioned but barely ever shown, the narration boasts and boasts that "she's awesome, really!" but all the reader ever gets to see is her whining, her petty revenge and non-stop "witty" banter.

That and she constantly puts down other women because she's "not like them" and shames them for daring to fancy the people she likes. If a woman isn't Celaena or her friend, they're basically depicted as an idiot, liar or otherwise corrupt.

I honestly think this series is among the worst I've ever read. (less)
Chelsey Westergard The first book was pretty clean, although "dark". I couldn't finish the 5th book though. It took a big turn and had some pretty descriptive sex…moreThe first book was pretty clean, although "dark". I couldn't finish the 5th book though. It took a big turn and had some pretty descriptive sex scenes. It didn't need all that garbage, so I didn't finish the series. This book also makes light of lying, stealing, killing, and cheating. It almost promotes them as good qualities. The story was interesting so I kept reading but shouldn't have. Definitely not a feel good book.(less)

Kitten Blue
May 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Are you kidding me? What the hell is this shit? How do you screw up your story quite so badly after starting from an INCREDIBLE premise involving the most notorious assassin in the land - now a slave - being offered the chance to win back her freedom, sort of, in a "to-the-death tournament - fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land" [says the back of my book, conveniently forgetting that (a) right before the final duels, the king specifically states that the competitors "can wi ...more
Inge
DNF 35%

Meet Celaena. She’s the world’s best assassin. Or so we’re told. She’s very, very talented. Very talented. And famous. She’s also really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, *takes a deep breath* really pretty.
It was true that she had been attractive once, beautiful even.

She looked at her rags and stained skin, and she couldn’
Navessa
What I was expecting:

What I got:

Assassin fail. Annoying heroine win. Maybe I could buy this chick as a badass had she not been:

- Annoying
- Unintelligent
- Emotionally unstable
- Obsessed with appearances
- Ruled by her hubris
- In love with exclamation points!!!!!!!!
- An open book, expression wise
- About as subtle as a rhinoceros
- Incapable of hitting a slow moving target with a flower pot

This might just be a case of “It’s not you, it’s me”. You see, I’v
shady boots | #20gayteen

First cover: "Yeah, don't I look badass in this? Wait, hold on, does my hair and makeup look okay? I think I need to pose like this, so I look all strong and tough."

Second cover: "Fuck off or I'll end you."

I still stand by my opinions on the covers. I never liked the first cover, and am infinitely grateful that they changed them for the sequels. But as far as how Celaena herself is? I would say she's a bit of both. I feel like these covers portray two very different extremes, and Celaena seemed
Rick Riordan
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caleana Sardothien, young woman assassin, is betrayed and sentenced to the salt mines of Endovier. After a year, however, she is given an opportunity: If she wins a contest to become the king's champion, she will be granted a four-year contract, working as an assassin for the empire she hates, at the end of which time she will be freed. After reading the premise of the book, I thought, "Sign me up!" After the first chapter, I knew I was in good hands. This book has plenty of mystery, magic, humo ...more
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
3.5-4 stars? I CAN'T DECIDE JUST YET!
I decided to reread this book, as I am about to continue on with the series, finally!
I did really enjoy this the second time round, but found myself a little more critical of a few things. I will be doing a full video review of this soon, so look forward to more of my thoughts then :)
Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life)
Want to be updated on everything Throne of Glass?
Visit the Throne of Glass fansite!

CELAENA be all like:

Leaving me like:

Let me just clear things up. People are rating this book low because they don't "like" Celaena, saying she's "arrogant" or "self-centred" or "over-confident," first of all, if Celaena were a guy, you'd be head-over-heels for her. But she's a girl and now her story is being over-looked because, instead of drowning in self-pity, she decides to stand up, throw her hair over her sho
Ben Alderson

JUST
SO
F******
GOOD!

What is even going on, how did i not read this sooner! I am now onto Crown Of Midnight and DYING!
LOVE LOVE LOVE

I FINALLY READ IT PEOPLE!
SO HAPPY
Janina
Sorry, but it looks like I've been excited for NOTHING. After enticing me with its promises of a reading experience reminiscent of Megan Whalen Turner and George R.R. Martin, Throne of Glass ultimately let me down. Having been excited for this novel for weeks and actually liking the sample I read, I have been brought back to earth now – with a jolt. This YA fantasy is a rather sorry example of its genre.

I have the notion that a big part of this book did not work for me because of its heroine. Ce
Natalie Monroe
Once again, it seems like I'm in the minority for this book because I didn't like it. It's such a shame too because I'd heard a lot of good stuff about it. Oh well, maybe it's just me...or maybe because this book just plain sucks.

Let's start off with our protagonist, Celaena who's the "greatest assassin in the world."

Okay, I'm cool with that. But it'd be nice if she could actually prove it because from what I've seen, she's once hell of a crappy assassin. People walk in and out of her room all t
Raeleen Lemay
DNF at 29%

I'M SORRY. I JUST CAN'T DO IT. I feel like I could have really enjoyed this book... Two years ago. The hype absolutely killed it for me. Celaena is also really annoying so I'm just going to stop reading this.

I know everybody says the books get better later on but I like to enjoy the beginning and the characters before I invest my time in a 6-book series.
Emily May
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of light, chick lit-style fantasy
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2013
It feels like Throne of Glass has been a book I've been thinking about maybe reading for a million years. The reviews and ratings from my GR friends on this book are very mixed and I can easily see why after finishing this entertaining but disappointingly tame and romance-y young adult fantasy. Throne of Glass is like Shadow and Bone round two. The premise is awesome for both: full of hardcore warriors/assassins, royal/noble secrets and scandals, a touch of magic... but each one, though entertai ...more
Etnik
description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

____________________________________________
“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

____________________________________________

5 BADASS STARS!

First of all,look at this amazing cover.I also liked the first one but this is a masterpiece.I do have a weakness for awesome covers,that's why I decided to read this.Also a lot of people recommended this to me,and I heard great things and

Lia Bonnibel  (pidgey)
This is going to be a rather personal review because Throne of Glass took away a week of my life and my SJM virginity.
I wish I’d let it wine and dine me, first.
At least, I’d still have the good memory of a nice six course dinner.

It’s not like I have a problem with this book, but…I do have a problem with this book.
A couple, actually, and they mainly involve the writing and a certain main character which I won't name for now.
Now, before I start, I must say that I’ve been forewarned by a lot of
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads
3.5-4 Stars

Yeah, I know. I’m the last fucker around to read this book. But I saw the whole series in spiffy hardcover on sale at Costco and so, of course, I responsibly bought only the first one to make sure I liked it before buying more bought the whole damn series in one go because, well, no impulse control.

But anyway.

This was fun. I liked it. I look forward to the next one.
Which is good.
Since, as I said, I already have the next one, and the one after that...

Oh, and #TeamChaol

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
Sasha Alsberg
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
SO. FREAKING. GOOD. My review will be up this week on my channel Abookutopia :)
Regan
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was sooooo goood! The main female character is amazing, SHE WAS PRACTICAL. Not to mention completely badass, and could kill anyone with a hairpin if she wanted to. Great high fantasy, i cannot wait for the next in the series! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
manda
I'm afraid this just wasn't for me. I heard it being sold as GRR Martin's Game of Thrones written for the female audience --- well, as a female audience, I am offended. As an avid reader of the fantasy genre, I am saddened that this is marketed as a fantasy-for-females. This being a YA does not excuse it from being riddled with clichés, painfully obvious foreshadowing, and a ghost of a fantasy world ruthlessly overshadowed by romantic overtones.
Fans of fantasy - actual fantasy - I don't suppose
Steph Sinclair
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who are looking for a fantasy novel with strong female characters

Actual rating 3.5 stars

Thorne of Glass has a lot going for it. It's packed full of action, mystery, likable characters and fun dialogue. On the flip side, it also has a few tropes that I usually make me want to rip my hair out strand by strand: the love triangle, semi-insta love and predictable plot twists. That by no means makes this a bad book, because despite those annoyances, I was fully engrossed in Throne of Glass.

The Plot and Writing:

While the synopsis may come off feeling a little Hunger
Warda
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio-booking/re-reading this series, because I miss it so damn much. I can’t believe it’s coming to an end. 😢

——————————————————

This series seems to be getting better with every reread! And this book in particular as it was my least favourite. But it helped reading The Assassin's Blade before Throne of Glass as it delved deeper into Celaena's character and one is able to form a connection with her.

Her skills as an assassin aren't really explored in Throne of Glass, it's all talk and no action.
emi
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who hate rowturd bc he's not in this book hooray
0/5 stars

5,000/5 stars

“Still, the image haunted his dreams throughout the night: a lovely girl gazing at the stars, and the stars who gazed back.”

warning: anything marked spoiler is a spoiler for the entire series. so maybe beware or something if you are that one person who hasn't read up to Empire of Storms okay? there may also be some unmarked spoilers bc this review is 3,000 words long and i'm too lazy to read through it a thousandth time.

So even though I am certified trash™ for
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
DNF @ 50%

This book was such a huge disappointment.

A young, notorious female assassin is thrust into a competition where she must fight for her freedom in exchange for service as the King's body guard? That sounds awesome, right? Too bad this book didn't deliver on that premise.

There's no way some badass assassin would have a giggly, carefree demeanor upon meeting Prince Dorian and Captain Chaol, these are both people she should loathe? This is not a girl who should notice how the sun shines in
Mitch
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Throne of Glass came to me highly recommended by someone who thinks Twilight is among the best books of all time, so I was instantly wary, but I promised to keep an open mind since, well, high fantasy and a kick ass assassin, what could go wrong? Well, a lot, apparently. I’m not saying this book is by any means on Twilight’s level of awfulness, but it is one of the shallowest, least impressive fantasies I’ve ever read.

I've never read the original, but I think I have a good idea where Sarah J. Ma
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The first time I saw my sister after I finished reading THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J. Maas, she was in the middle of reading the latest book from one of her favorite series.

I did not care. I pestered, cajoled, and harassed her until she downloaded the THRONE OF GLASS sample chapters and read them.

She stopped reading her book and read ToG until the wee morning hours when she finished it.

*lap of victory*

A few months later, my mom came to visit for a long weekend. Her first n
Christine Riccio
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
LOVED THIS BOOK: Here's my full review complete with discussion and theories http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlmj_t...
Khurram
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well formed and excellently developed. There are recognisable and enjoyable twist on the classic Cinderella. Example Celaena Sardothien's fairy godmother is a ghost of an ancient warrior queen. There are also slight touches such as Celaena has an innate charm with animals.

I was also very impressed with the pacing and evolution of the story. Honestly the 406 pages just seem to fly by. Just because Celaena was the greatest of assassins after being in
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Hey, so, I just read part of book five of this series with a friend. And I'm going to register my opinion that while it may have slightly improved in character development - I wouldn't know - it is, objectively, just as horribly written as this book.

And that's the tea.

🌺 montage of me screaming "why is this hyped" for five hours

Let me give this book one minuscule fragment of credit: the plot isn't horrible. Okay, yeah, the plot is kind of boring and there are a lot of opportunities for decept
Chelsea Humphrey
3.5 STARS

If I'm totally honest, this started out S-L-O-W......... And not what I expected at all, but hear me out! Put down the pitchforks and fire! I'm still on board; Queen SJM hasn't lost me yet!

After reading the back blurb, I was imagining this competition something more of a Battle Royale or Hunger Games-esque battle to the death. Color me surprised when I'm 200 pages in and basically NO face time is given to this competition. The first 70% of this book books is mainly:

1) "Wow! Look at thi
Cait • A Page with a View
3.5 stars. Let me first say the Throne of Glass series is one of my absolute FAVORITES of all time. But this first book just isn't as strong for me.

The sheer scope of the worldbuilding in this series is phenomenal, so check it out if you like fantasy! I really can’t think of many other worlds I love this much… I mean, there are demon kings, fae, witches & wyverns, pirate lords, princes, kingdoms & castles, magic, spirits with cryptic advice, swords & battles, ancient prophecies, poli
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”I will not be afraid. For a year, those words had meant the difference between breaking and bending; they had kept her from shattering in the darkness of the mines.”

Okay since this was a re-read and my daughter is keeping me busy I’ll try to make it simple and short.

I’m still in love with Celaena’s world and I can’t wait to read the second book. This time however I only gave the book four stars. I don’t know why my opinion changed but for me it just wasn’t a five star read anymore. Maybe the pl
ACOTAR or TOG 48 1078 Jul 12, 2018 12:43PM
Captain Chaol or Prince Dorian? 312 3808 Jul 10, 2018 03:08PM
Maryse's Book Blo...: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas ~ Buddy Read 21 12 Jul 07, 2018 07:06AM
Throne of Glass!!!: Dorian vs Chaol 1 2 Jul 01, 2018 11:08AM
Throne of Glass!!!: Celaena Sardothien 1 1 Jul 01, 2018 11:05AM
Queen Maas' Assas...: Captain Chaol Westfall ~ Character Discussion 223 573 Jul 01, 2018 08:43AM
  • Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (Grisha Verse, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)
  • Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • Soulbound (Legacy of Tril, #1)
  • Allegiance (Legacy, #2)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Dragonswood (Wilde Island Chronicles, #2)
  • Scarlet (Scarlet, #1)
  • Brightly Woven
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too
More about Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)
“Libraries were full of ideas—perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.” 6878 likes
“You could rattle the stars," she whispered. "You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.” 5181 likes