Start by marking “The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)

The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories

(The Curiosities #1)

From acclaimed YA authors Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff comes The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories.

- A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.
- Bad guys, clever girls, and the various reasons why the guys have to stop breathing.
- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).

These are but a few of the
Published August 1st 2012 by Lerner Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Curiosities, please sign up.
Zo Few of the stories I've read so far in this collection can really be categorized as 'horror'; they're more fantastical. At the same time, it's kind of…moreFew of the stories I've read so far in this collection can really be categorized as 'horror'; they're more fantastical. At the same time, it's kind of hard to describe them by just one genre... [btw a lot of these stories end on cliff-hangers](less)

Start your review of The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)
Paige  Bookdragon

description

I don't know if the gif is relevant to the review, but I just have to post it because "Daisy me rollin..."

This book is one of those "not for me" thing. I read this book because I love reading short stories/anthologies. The blurb really hooked me because:

-A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.

Now tell me if that d
Sana
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016, arcs
I've never been much of a short stories person because I always end up wanting more and more importantly, have a hard time reading them back to back because it's hard to surface out of a story and dive into another immediately.

For some reason, I appreciate that there isn't any apparent word limit to the stories as the shortest story has 3 pages and the longest, more than 20 pages.

I liked all of the stories by Maggie Stiefvater the best (why aren't they all novels especially A Murder of Gods, A H
Ann  Mat
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“The rain washes too many secrets away. It isn't good where they collect.”

Maggie Stiefvater is one of the contributing writer! The short stories never disappoints me. I like the butterfly ones the best. Exceptional writing and unforgettable angst. The three writers are really close. I was entertained by their conversations and handwriting. The drawings too are mildly amusing. Great flash fiction ladies.
Jennifer Girard
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020, 3-stars
Some of the stories were very good and other were just ok. It was interesting to read about their writing process and how they get their ideas.
Suzanne
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dig-them-shorts
Like with most short story collections, some stories were much better than others.
Cari
I'll admit it: I'm a Maggie Stiefvater fangirl.

So yes, I was drawn in to The Curiosities by the promise of Stiefvater story-genius, but as soon as I started reading, I found myself falling--and falling hard--for both Brenna Yovanoff and Tessa Gratton. All three women contribute beautiful stories and giggle-worthy notations, and when reviewing the entire collection, they all shine equally.

Certain stories seem polished while others feel more raw. And I do not mean raw in the "unedited" sense but r
Wendy Darling
This is really interesting--short stories from the three authors who make up Merry Sisters of Fate, and mostly unedited. I'm going to use this review space to keep track of initial thoughts and star ratings for the stories, which I actually WILL edit into some sort of review at the end.

Introduction by Andrew Karre, of the fabulous Carolrhoda Lab imprint: fantastic. It answered the "why" question I had when I first realized there were handwritten notes and drawings all over the book.

TESSA GRATTON
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
Overall, I adore the marginalia: lil jokes and mutual compliments/teasing and doodles. This is almost a mini-masterclass in the art of short story, instructive and illustrative, as well as being an entertaining and engaging anthology.

(Since these stories are so short and so numerous, I decided not to give half-star ratings.)

"The Vampire Box" by Tessa Gratton
★★★☆☆
Intriguing premise, solid execution. I would've liked a bit more development, but it does work as-is.

"A Murder of Gods" by Maggie Stief
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

In May of 2008, three unknown writers formed a critique group and website (MerryFates.com) for posting short stories and honing their craft. Fast forward to today, and these three writers are among the best and brightest YA authors writing today. Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff are what I consider to be the holy trinity of YA, and in this wonderfully imaginative anthology, it is abundantly clear why.

I kid you not, there isn’t a sin
Dark Faerie Tales
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Entertaining and strange short stories for those who like their stories on the weird side.

The Review:

The Curiosities is a collection of short stories from Maggie Stiefvater, Brenna Yovanoff, and Tessa Gratton. If you are unfamiliar with these authors they have a website called Merry Fates that they each contribute a short story to every week. These stories are for those who like their stories on the strange or “curious” side of life.

What I liked
Kelesea
Title: The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories

Author(s): Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Anthology/Short Stories

Series: N/A

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff are three titans in the young adult literature industry. All are bestselling authors, two of which have series under their belts. They have also started a blog called 'The Merry S
Grace Troxel
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures: https://bookswithoutanypictures.com/2...

I received a review copy of The Curiosities waaaaay back in 2012, when I first was getting into book blogging and went through that phase when advanced reader copies were still a novelty and I acquired a lot of them and only to have to come to terms with the fact that I are human and there are only so many books that I can read at a time. Then covid hit, my social life drastically chan
Tessa
This was a fun collection to read, even though I'm usually not a big fan of short stories. I enjoyed almost all of the stories and I definitely enjoyed all of the commentary; that was my favorite part.

I liked Stiefvater's stories the best, followed by Gratton's. Most of Yovanoff's stories were so fragmentary that I didn't particularly enjoy them, though I did like her writing style.

Overall, I enjoyed this. A list of all the stories and my star ratings for them are in the spoiler below.

(view sp
Amy
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
While the stories were quirky and dark(I love them),they mostly ended in cliffhangers.I understand that a good story should make you want more, but ending every story with a cliffhanger annoyed me a lot. I am sure there will be plenty of readers who like this but abrupt and vague endings are not for me.
Lauren Brittain
RATING: ★★★★

SUMMARY:

Bre Mckae
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this book during Reading Rush.

Click to see my vlogs discussing this title.

Click to see the wrap up video that includes this title.

T.A.A.C.T. (stories it appears in are in parenthesis)
» Trigger Warnings
Derogatory reference to cutting (3)
Verbal Abuse/Bullying (3)
Sororicide (7)
Grief/Loss (9,15)
Gore, Blood (10,24,26,28)
Dissection (10)
Death or injury of an animal (10,14,24)
Use of the
Jessica at Book Sake
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
After having reading works by each of the authors and visiting the Merry Sisters of Fate website, I was excited to see this book come out. Each short story features a little intro by the author of that story along with another one of the writers and their view on the story.

ARC reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

All of the stories have handwritten notes from the authors in the margins. Often they talk about what they liked and what worked and how they got to that point in their writing process (an
Jessica B
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted at my (now dead) book blog shutupimreading.blogspot.com. My current blog is thebillcosbysweater.wordpress.com

Let me start off this review by saying that there are little notes the authors made in the pages, but I was unable to read them on my e-reader, so I might have missed some stuff.

Stories I Liked
K.A. Wiggins
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Four years later I'm still in love. <3
_____________

Incredible. Normally, I can't stand short stories and flash fiction. I hate being ripped out of a world or away from characters too soon, hate the dangling, interpretative open endings, hate the overly refined clever little twists and touches.

All of which to say, I stayed up until 4 am and finished this book in huge gulps, a single day of inspiration and maddening jealousy and awe. And then I ordered all of the authors' books that I hadn't alrea
Sarah Hadd
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Okay the last story? The best one! What a great way to go out. Bring on the next anthology, ladies.
Gabriella wells
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've never been much of a short stories person because I always end up wanting more but I can definitely say it's one of my favorite collections of short stories. although with some stories I was disappointed it was the end over all I’m really happy I decided to read something different. these stories were short and sweet with fantastic commentary from all 3 authors. This book is a small gem, a unique and curious world of bizarre, poetic, sometimes sad and disturbing stories. One thing note is t ...more
Fina
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2021
This is a very solid short story anthology. All of the stories were well-written, though several felt like they just got cut off too early, or that the authors didn't have the motivation to see them through to the end. But there were some /incredible/ stories in here, like "The Neighbors", "The Heart-Shaped Box", and "Another Sun", to name my personal favourites.

In this anthology, you will also see Maggie Stiefvater write about zombies. And trust me, it's not pleasant. LOL

Anyway, I enjoyed this
CJ
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Probably the only short story collection where I like 99% of the stories. The 1.5 stories I didn't like as much were only really because they were too short and I wanted more.

There's vampires, imperiled girls getting revenge, fires, Norse mythology, psychopaths, ghosts, fairy takes, etc. They're all pretty great. These three ladies are very talented. Plus, the doodles and notes about how they were writing are very entertaining and illuminating.
Sesana
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
There's some really good stories in here, and I don't remember any of them falling flat for me. ...more
Ashley
Nov 29, 2017 added it
Fun, quirky, enjoyable. Definitely recommend for fantasy or magical realism fans.
Hazel West
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I had seen at the library a couple times before I actually realized what it was, and once I did, I knew I had to read this. I originally picked it up because I'm a big fan of Maggie Stiefvater, but I hadn't read any of Tessa Gratton's or Brenna Yovanoff's books prior to this. I'll admit right off, that while I loved the idea of this book right off, I wasn't really planning on reading every story in the collection. I rarely do with short stories anthologies. But once I starte ...more
Nicole - Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die-
4.5

- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).

These are but a few of the curiosities collected in this volume of short stories by three acclaimed practitioners of paranormal fiction.

But The Curi
niluferns
Apr 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This was the first collection of stories I have ever read. I’m not a fan of short stories. I mainly liked it because of the authors. Maggie Stiefvater’s stories are the best. I love how well she balanced horror and humor! Tessa Gratton’s writing was really great times but there were some stories I wish would continue. I guess Brenna Yovanoff is good, too but her characters really need therapy!!!

So here’s how I rated every story (Also added my fav moments):
The Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton – 4 st
Stephanie
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
The blurb didn't lie. This truly is a very curious book.

I wasn't actually expecting The Curiosities to be a book full of short stories, but the more I read, the more I liked it. For the first few pages, I had to keep flipping back to the intro to check whose handwriting was whose, but I eventually got the hang of it. (Tessa's was loopy cursive, Maggie was ALL CAPS, and Brenna's was this spindly print) The stories are always preceded by some commentary by the authors. They were sometimes funny, s
Emily (Falling for YA)
The Curiosities is a group of short stories from Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff, who are critique partners. These stories were originally posted on their website The Merry Sisters of Fate. I have to admit I never read the stories posted online. I can’t stand reading on my computer, it makes my eyes hurt and I always find myself getting distracted (the internets a big place). So I was very excited to read these stories in print form especially since Maggie is one of my favor ...more
YAB Gabbers: Short Story Sentence Seeds 1 3 Jun 02, 2013 06:17AM
Topeka & Shawnee ...: The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories 1 9 Feb 09, 2013 07:17AM

• The Space Between
  • The Replacement
  • Paper Valentine
  • Fiendish
  • Slasher Girls & Monster Boys
  • Places No One Knows
  • Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft
  • Zombies Vs. Unicorns
  • Hooked (Hearts of Stone #1)
  • Deviation (The Sophisticates, #1)
  • The Stolen Kingdom (The Stolen Kingdom #1)
  • The Enchanted Crown (The Stolen Kingdom #4)
  • Pearl's Number (Number #2)
  • Redemption (The Sophisticates #3)
  • Hated (Hearts of Stone #3)
  • Legacy of Orïsha Collection Set (Legacy of Orïsha, #1-2)
  • Hitched (Hearts of Stone #2)
  • The Sophisticates Trilogy
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been formed by a desire to leave a mark, resulting in spray-painted cars, sharpie-covered computer printers, ink-splattered walls, and stories told in books, in magazines, and on stages. Maggie Stiefvater l

The Curiosities (2 books)
  • The Anatomy of Curiosity (The Curiosities, #2)