Start by marking “The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)

The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories

(The Curiosities #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  2,578 Ratings  ·  422 Reviews
From acclaimed YA authors Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff comes The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories.

- A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.
- Bad guys, clever girls, and the various reasons why the guys have to stop breathing.
- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).

These are but a few of the
Published August 1st 2012 by Lerner Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Curiosities, please sign up.
Zo Few of the stories I've read so far in this collection can really be categorized as 'horror'; they're more fantastical. At the same time, it's kind of…moreFew of the stories I've read so far in this collection can really be categorized as 'horror'; they're more fantastical. At the same time, it's kind of hard to describe them by just one genre... [btw a lot of these stories end on cliff-hangers](less)

Paige  Bookdragon

description

I don't know if the gif is relevant to the review, but I just have to post it because "Daisy me rollin..."

This book is one of those "not for me" thing. I read this book because I love reading short stories/anthologies. The blurb really hooked me because:

-A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.

Now tell me if that did
Sana
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, read-in-2016
I've never been much of a short stories person because I always end up wanting more and more importantly, have a hard time reading them back to back because it's hard to surface out of a story and dive into another immediately.

For some reason, I appreciate that there isn't any apparent word limit to the stories as the shortest story has 3 pages and the longest, more than 20 pages.

I liked all of the stories by Maggie Stiefvater the best (why aren't they all novels especially A Murder of Gods, A H
♡Ann  Matalines♡
“The rain washes too many secrets away. It isn't good where they collect.”

Maggie Stiefvater is one of the contributing writer! The short stories never disappoints me. I like the butterfly ones the best. Exceptional writing and unforgettable angst. The three writers are really close. I was entertained by their conversations and handwriting. The drawings too are mildly amusing. Great flash fiction ladies.
Giovanna
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5

Avevo acquistato questo libro senza avere grandi aspettative, pensando si trattasse di una semplice raccolta di racconti. Quanto mi sbagliavo.
Questo libro è un piccolo gioiello, un mondo unico e curioso fatto di storie bizzarre, poetiche, talvolta tristi, altre volte inquietanti, di disegni e note scribacchiate ai bordi delle pagine. Ho apprezzato molto tutte le storie con mia grande sorpresa, ma le mie preferite in assoluto sono:
The wind takes our cries, Philosopher's flight, The last day of
Suzanne
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dig-them-shorts
Like with most short story collections, some stories were much better than others.
Wendy Darling
This is really interesting--short stories from the three authors who make up Merry Sisters of Fate, and mostly unedited. I'm going to use this review space to keep track of initial thoughts and star ratings for the stories, which I actually WILL edit into some sort of review at the end.

Introduction by Andrew Karre, of the fabulous Carolrhoda Lab imprint: fantastic. It answered the "why" question I had when I first realized there were handwritten notes and drawings all over the book.

TESSA GRATTON
Cari
I'll admit it: I'm a Maggie Stiefvater fangirl.

So yes, I was drawn in to The Curiosities by the promise of Stiefvater story-genius, but as soon as I started reading, I found myself falling--and falling hard--for both Brenna Yovanoff and Tessa Gratton. All three women contribute beautiful stories and giggle-worthy notations, and when reviewing the entire collection, they all shine equally.

Certain stories seem polished while others feel more raw. And I do not mean raw in the "unedited" sense but r
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

In May of 2008, three unknown writers formed a critique group and website (MerryFates.com) for posting short stories and honing their craft. Fast forward to today, and these three writers are among the best and brightest YA authors writing today. Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff are what I consider to be the holy trinity of YA, and in this wonderfully imaginative anthology, it is abundantly clear why.

I kid you not, there isn’t a sin
Dark Faerie Tales
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Entertaining and strange short stories for those who like their stories on the weird side.

The Review:

The Curiosities is a collection of short stories from Maggie Stiefvater, Brenna Yovanoff, and Tessa Gratton. If you are unfamiliar with these authors they have a website called Merry Fates that they each contribute a short story to every week. These stories are for those who like their stories on the strange or “curious” side of life.

What I l
Kels Fidler
Title: The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories

Author(s): Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Anthology/Short Stories

Series: N/A

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff are three titans in the young adult literature industry. All are bestselling authors, two of which have series under their belts. They have also started a blog called 'The Merry S
Daley Downing
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 for the Maggie sections.

Okay, so this was probably kind of my fault for not reading more of the blurb, but this just wasn't what I expected.

About 2 pages in (at least it was early on), I found that this book is merely a collection of flash fiction that 3 authors wrote on a shared website several years ago. Not that there's anything wrong with this concept. It simply is not for me. I like Maggie Stiefvater, but I'd never even heard of the other authors, and while, to be fair, I didn't really
Amy
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
While the stories were quirky and dark(I love them),they mostly ended in cliffhangers.I understand that a good story should make you want more, but ending every story with a cliffhanger annoyed me a lot. I am sure there will be plenty of readers who like this but abrupt and vague endings are not for me.
Lauren Brittain
RATING: ★★★★

SUMMARY:

Jessica at Book Sake
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
After having reading works by each of the authors and visiting the Merry Sisters of Fate website, I was excited to see this book come out. Each short story features a little intro by the author of that story along with another one of the writers and their view on the story.

ARC reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

All of the stories have handwritten notes from the authors in the margins. Often they talk about what they liked and what worked and how they got to that point in their writing process (an
Jessica B
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted at my (now dead) book blog shutupimreading.blogspot.com. My current blog is thebillcosbysweater.wordpress.com

Let me start off this review by saying that there are little notes the authors made in the pages, but I was unable to read them on my e-reader, so I might have missed some stuff.

Stories I Liked
Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton
A Murder of Gods by Maggie Stiefvater
The Madness of Lancelot by Brenna Yovanoff
The Wind Takes Our Cries by Maggie Stiefvater
Auburn by Br
Sevia
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Krátké povídky od tří YA fantasy autorek, které mají smysl pro podivnost a s antologií mi učarovaly natolik, že jsem přemýšlela nad pěti hvězdičkami. Dva poslední příběhy to pokazily, ale i tak výborné.
Sarah Hadd
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Okay the last story? The best one! What a great way to go out. Bring on the next anthology, ladies.
Gabriella wells
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've never been much of a short stories person because I always end up wanting more but I can definitely say it's one of my favorite collections of short stories. although with some stories I was disappointed it was the end over all I’m really happy I decided to read something different. these stories were short and sweet with fantastic commentary from all 3 authors. This book is a small gem, a unique and curious world of bizarre, poetic, sometimes sad and disturbing stories. One thing note is t ...more
Sesana
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
There's some really good stories in here, and I don't remember any of them falling flat for me.
Xime
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lecturas:
- 1°: 2018 (4 estrellas)
Ashley
Nov 29, 2017 added it
Fun, quirky, enjoyable. Definitely recommend for fantasy or magical realism fans.
Nicole - Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die-
4.5

- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).

These are but a few of the curiosities collected in this volume of short stories by three acclaimed practitioners of paranormal fiction.

But The Curi
thebookishturkishKZ
This was the first collection of stories I have ever read. I’m not a fan of short stories. I mainly liked it because of the authors. Maggie Stiefvater’s stories are the best. I love how well she balanced horror and humor! Tessa Gratton’s writing was really great times but there were some stories I wish would continue. I guess Brenna Yovanoff is good, too but her characters really need therapy!!!

So here’s how I rated every story (Also added my fav moments):
The Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton – 4 st
Stephanie
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
The blurb didn't lie. This truly is a very curious book.

I wasn't actually expecting The Curiosities to be a book full of short stories, but the more I read, the more I liked it. For the first few pages, I had to keep flipping back to the intro to check whose handwriting was whose, but I eventually got the hang of it. (Tessa's was loopy cursive, Maggie was ALL CAPS, and Brenna's was this spindly print) The stories are always preceded by some commentary by the authors. They were sometimes funny, s
Emily (Falling for YA)
The Curiosities is a group of short stories from Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff, who are critique partners. These stories were originally posted on their website The Merry Sisters of Fate. I have to admit I never read the stories posted online. I can’t stand reading on my computer, it makes my eyes hurt and I always find myself getting distracted (the internets a big place). So I was very excited to read these stories in print form especially since Maggie is one of my favor ...more
Shelley
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this a really interesting book of short stories but it is more than a collection. This is a project stemmed from the three authors' blogs where they have shared ideas amongst each other and have given the reader an inside look of how they collaborate and review each others' work. Anyone who has ever wondered how writers come up with their ideas for books will love this fun and witty team of women. The stories included range from horror stemming from every day objects such as puddles, to ...more
Kim
More of my reviews can be found on YA Asylum.

I'm not sure how to review this one. I usually have a normal review system but it won't work on a short story collection. So this will just have to be a free for all.

I loved this collection of short stories. It completely inspired me. I checked it out from the library and then, before I was even to the end of it, I had to buy a copy for myself. It's that good. The reason I picked this book up was because of how much I liked Brenna Yovanoff's REPLACEME
Krys

The Curiosities is a collection of short stories from three of the Young Adult genre's most infamous writers - Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff. Originally available online at merryfates.com this new volume hosts a number of their best yarns; tales of basement dwelling vampires, zombies, Arthurian knights, would-be serial killers, dragons, and much more. The charm of this collection lies in the handwritten notes, drawings, criticisms, and scrimmages between these three frien
K.A. Wiggins
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. Normally, I can't stand short stories and flash fiction. I hate being ripped out of a world or away from characters too soon, hate the dangling, interpretative open endings, hate the overly refined clever little twists and touches.

All of which to say, I stayed up until 4 am and finished this book in huge gulps, a single day of inspiration and maddening jealousy and awe. And then I ordered all of the authors' books that I hadn't already read. I knew Brenna Yovanoff was brilliant. I di
Marzi
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
2,5 stars: I'm not the target audience for this book, as I'm pretty sure this one is for the authors' fans. I knew only one of them before and I discovered that I dislike one of the other two.
The stories seem too similar to me, too many young main characters (I know, YA, but as I said, I'm not the target audience), too many monsters, waaaay to many cliffhangers. I like monster stories, but there is only one in this book where I really understood what is scary about this particular monster. The r
YAB Gabbers: Short Story Sentence Seeds 1 3 Jun 02, 2013 06:17AM
Topeka & Shawnee ...: The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories 1 8 Feb 09, 2013 07:17AM
  • An Infinite Thread - A Merry Sisters of Fate Anthology (Vol. 1)
  • Magic in the Mirrorstone
  • Monstrous Affections: An Anthology of Beastly Tales
  • After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia
  • Yellowcake
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)
  • Fiendish
  • The Poison Eaters and Other Stories
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
  • Dark Duets
  • Diverse Energies
  • The Nascenza Conspiracy (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #3)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech

The Curiosities (2 books)
  • The Anatomy of Curiosity (The Curiosities, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“No, thanks. I'm busy being an island of sanity in a sea of utter madness.” 12 likes
“The rain washes too many secrets away. It isn't good where they collect.” 6 likes