Start by marking “Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)

Unspoken

(The Lynburn Legacy #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  27,168 ratings  ·  3,576 reviews
Kami Glass loves someone she's never met... a boy she's talked to in her head ever since she was born. Having an imaginary friend has made fitting in hard - but that's never bothered Kami. She has her best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is just the way she likes it.

But all that changes when the mysterious Lyn
Published September 11th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Unspoken, please sign up.
Catherine I think they both discovered puberty and raging hormones and couldn't keep that for each other...

·  27,168 ratings  ·  3,576 reviews

Kat Kennedy
I have a scale for YA books I read, since I’ve read so many. It looks something like this.

-I hope this book dies. Right now. And takes a 100km radius with it just to be sure.

-Terrible book

-I was pleasantly surprised

-Yeah I liked that

-That was a great book

-Wow I loved that book!

-FIZZJERBLEDEEGOOK! That was Freaking AMAZEBALLS!

-I will read that book again

Allow me to lay down some perspective. At this moment I have no fewer than sixty-three ARCs
Lola
Take this quiz to learn if your brain would appreciate this read.

1. When you hear the word ‘‘love-triangle,’’ you:
(a) Scream at the top of your lungs and rush out the room, pushing anyone standing in your way.
(b) Raise an eyebrow.

2. On a Friday night, you’d rather:
(a) Talk to your crush on the telephone.
(b) Investigate a potential murder scene.

3. You often dream about:
(a) Talking animals chasing you to the edge of a cliff.
(b) Being connected to someone beyond humanly possible.

4. If your best fri
Steph Sinclair

Dearest Unspoken,

I must regrettably inform you that we must do the unthinkable and separate. I really don't know where we went wrong, you and I. After my co-blogger, Kat, set us up on that blind date, urging me to give you a go, I thought for sure we would hit it off nicely.  And for a minute we did. Don't you remember? It was love at first sight as I set my eyes on your gorgeous cover and unique premise. But somehow, along the way, something went wrong.

Unspoken, you were true. You had a solid p
Vinaya
This book, oh my god, th-th-thi...

Photobucket

WARNING: You may need a lifeboat to stay adrift in the oceans of adoration below!

Photobucket

There are simply no words to describe the mountain of awesome that is Sarah Rees Brennan. This is my very first Brennan book, and I feel like the universe has cheated me by not introducing me to her earlier. Some day, technology permitting, I would LOVE to splice together DNA from Sarah and my other favorite funnywoman (funnyman?) Rachel Hartman to create my very own personal funny
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It's my baby, so nobody should listen to what I think! I'm just like, oh, it should go to Cambridge and it has the prettiest hair!
Simona Bartolotta
"Listen to me. I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t know what any of this means. But I know this much. It doesn’t matter. You’re not one of them. You never were. You’re not theirs. You’re mine."

description

•Writing: bad. Like really bad.

•Plot: what plot?

•Characters: what characters? You mean there were actual people in here? Shocking.

description

There is really nothing more to say.
Heidi
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-favorites
Okay, so it’s been a few days and I think my rage face has worn off a bit and I can talk to you all about all of the things I absolutely loved about Sarah Rees Brennan’s Unspoken without being completely bias against the whole thing because of the ending*. So, here it goes, review time!

Forest deep, silent bells
There’s a secret no one tells
Valley quiet, water still
Lynburns watching on the hill
Apples red, corn gold
Almost everyone grows old.

Intrepid young journalist Kami Glass knows there are secre
Steph
Sep 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, reviewed
Edit: 11/2/12 So after reading this snippet from the sequel I will definitely not (though I doubt I would have anyway) be raising this rating to two stars. You know what I imagine closes out that scene? These are the days of our lives... Is this a soap opera or a book, guys? Guess the relationship melodrama keeps on keeping on in book two.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Unspoken really isn't as bad as some of the other one star YA books I've read this year - The Bo
K.
Sarah Rees Brennan Unspoken is unequivocally one of the best young adult books I've ever read. I don't even know where to begin. Is it enough to tell you to read it?

Synopsis aside, this is as colourful, as unique, as moving and absorbing as a book can get. The plot involves a strange family, a old-town legend, murder, love and magic. Brennan envisions an original premise that holds your attention from the very first page. Her idea is fully developed, never giving too much while holding nothing
Giselle
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
A tale filled with magic, thrill, romance, and charm, Unspoken is a unique Gothic mystery that, if only I could have clicked with its characters, I might have greatly enjoyed. And as I seem to be in the minority on this one, I think fans of Gothic novels should definitely give it a try as it does have good writing and a very creative concept.

While most of the Gothic novels I have come to love have been fairly slow paced - ie. The Book of Blood and Shadow and Long Lankin - I found that Unspoken
Keertana
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unspoken is a novel that now, looking back, I can see had a huge margin for error. In fact, in the hands of a less-experienced author, I am confident that this story would have fallen apart, but Sarah Rees Brennan manages to pull it off. I am always awe-struck by the innovative ideas she thinks of and even more in awe of her flawless method of execution. Yet, despite the precarious line that this story balanced on and my incredibly high expectations, Unspoken managed to be every bit as breathtak ...more
Kristalia
Final rating: 4.75/5 stars

unspoken

This was so sooooooooo good. I loved every part of it. Since i couldn't decide between 4 and 5 i decided it was going to be between. And it is only because i am type that craves for explanations and i didn't find enough of them in this book. For now, it is staying 5 stars as basic rating, because i feel it didn't belong with standard books.

I wanted to read it because it was written by Brennan. I loved her Demon's lexicon trilogy, and guess what, i love Unspoken even mor
Lisa
I don't know if I've felt ever felt guiltier about not liking a book than I do about this one. So many people love Unspoken to pieces and I can understand why, but I was very underwhelmed. It seems to me that Unspoken was a book that was trying to break out of the YA mold but ended up following the fold.

By far the biggest problem with this novel is Jared Lynburn. He's your typical brooding, overprotective, woe-is-me, bad boy with anger management issues. I find none of these traits attractive,
Rachel Reads Ravenously
DNF about 150 pages in.

It's funny because this has been on my tbr forever, I found the receipt inside the book saying I purchased it 5 years ago, but this just did not work for me. I wonder if I read it 5 years ago if I would have loved it. Started out strong and then somehow died. Not the book for me, at least not today. Great idea and concept tho, I can see why everyone loved it.

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
Regan
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5 SO ADDICTING! And the main character is hilarious
Glass
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
This is the book for all of you who still have a little piece of a child left in your soul. Characters are seventeen, but maybe you'll have impression that they are younger than that. That's for the most part because of the writing style - it has fairytaleish vibe combined with mystery.

Kami Glass - yes, I liked her from the first page when I saw her name - is a strong girl, a little bit strange but in a good way, and she knows what she wants. If you're expecting some usual YA love story with pa
♥Rachel♥
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-e-book
Unspoken is not the story I was expecting, and I enjoyed that. Somehow I thought this would be a dark and serious tale, and some of it is. Mostly, it was a story full of wit and fun, a little romance, and magic.

Unspoken is centered on Kami Glass, a high-school student, and ambitious journalist-in-training. She’s head of the school newspaper, and always on the trail of a new story. But now Kami’s focused on uncovering secrets, because the founding family of Sorry-in-the-Vale, The Lynburn’s, have
Carrie
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Kami Glass has always talked to a boy in her head ever since she was born. She's always thought of him as an imaginary friend and loved him all of her life keeping the voice a secret so others will not see her as crazy. But when the mysterious Lynburn family return one of the teenage boys seems very familiar to Kami.

Kami soon finds that her best friend that she's always had in her head is really Jared Lynburn. When an attempt is made on Kami's life Jared quickly proves that he does know all of
Zyra
i picked this book up cause the concept was too interesting & different.
Kami can hear a voice in her her head & talk to someonelse all her life in her mind. & the author did not disappoint. the story kept me every bit curious as it could. like is this person for real or imaginary. if real so how was it possible?
Jared's character is way too complicated & troubled. the solidity to rely on, for him has always been kami, as she is the comforting & supporting voice in his head. a
Candace Robinson
I seriously loved this book! It had a cute and unique concept with Kami and Jared being able to pretty much talk to each other through their minds since they were born! And seriously, Kami was the most adorable thing ever!

Kami was quirky with an awesome personality and would say things how they were! Not only would she word thing how they were, but she would put a humorous spin on it! And Jared? He was loyal and tragic and amazing! He deserves a big ol' hug!

The writing in this one was just so ad
Tamora Pierce
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-ya-yr
In Sorry-in-the-Vale, England, Kami has an Issue--she is a teenager who still talks with her invisible friend. Then the town's "ruling family" returns to the area, complete with teenaged cousins. Kami finds herself attracted to handsome Ash, but her world rocks when she meets brooding, reclusive cousin Jared. He is her invisible friend, and he is just as rattled to learn his own invisible friend is all too real. Interfering adults and a series of murders add notes of contemporary fiction and sus ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Seriously? That's how the book ends!? Sarah Rees Brennan you are a cruel, cruel mistress. You lure your readers into a false sense of security with your witty banter and the sunshiny disposition of your heroine and then you dump ice water on their heads. NOT NICE.
Mimi Valentine
There's "bizarre" and "different," and then there's this book... which is probably the best of both! I loooooooooooooooooooooved it so much!

Unspoken is one of those books that make you slap your forehead and wonder why you hadn't read it earlier. I couldn't stop grinning, yet at the same time, I couldn't breathe when it got intense. It kind of has the feel to it of Beautiful Creatures — small town, fantastic cast, feared magical family, and rich gothic mystery — except I liked this much, much m
Cody
Oct 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shows great great promise!

This is my first book by Brennan and I was pleasantly surprised as it is truly like no other. Just look at that blurb: the ability to talk to someone in your head and then a bad boy in leather turns up on a motorcycle? *Fangirls* No longer an imaginary friend but a hot guy? Are her feelings real? What does she want? WHO does she want? Filled with angst and a tantalizing slow burn romance? YES YES YES YES Y’HES!

Kami Glass is an ambitious wanna be journalist who is always
Morgannah
The cover aptly describes Unspoken as a “gothic romance,” but it has equal parts fantasy and supernatural rolled in, all emanating from the somewhat mythical forest around the town. While the rush of overly witty, pithy banter rolling from the protagonist's lips can be a tad much at times, the author molds a likable and independent heroine.
For as long as seventeen year old Kami Glass can remember, two things have been true of her life in the small town of Sorry-in-the-Vale: the townsfolk have wh
S.J. Kincaid
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun, cute book. Although I think the magical world still needs some fleshing out (I trust that will happen in book two), I really loved the characters, and even the Kami/Jared relationship. It's very rare for me to appreciate romance in most YAs, so it's all the better to discover a great one here between two well-developed characters. I look forward to the next one.
Jennie Damron
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Gothic books. Hands down my favorite type of book to read. This book was a great Gothic read. The atmosphere, spooky house, and creepy woods were all on point. At times Kami got on my nerves. Her trying to joke or lighten a moment would be a mood breaker and disrupt the flow of the story. Set that aside, the book was great. The plot moved well and the characters likable. I will definitely be reading the next on the series.
Susana
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers that appreciate inteligent dialogue and quirky characters
Recommended to Susana by: Isa Lavinia
2nd Re-Read : October, 7th
Still as good as the first time I read it! :)
______________"_________________________
This book has one of the most intriguing plots allied with a vast, vast number of quirky characters, that I've ever encountered in a story.

In fact, I've never encountered such a number of strange, a little out of this world, lovable characters! It was great!

There's Kami, our fearless reporter: "Kami had been hearing a voice in her head all her life. When she was eight, people had though
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
For what I’d consider a “well-known book”, I’d heard surprisingly little going into Unspoken and with such a vague synopsis I was intrigued… After the first few pages I was hooked.

The mystery aspect was done so well in that we get enough information to keep the momentum going, but not enough to feel satisfied. There never failed to be something more to come which I loved. Most of this led up to (several) big reveals where the pace really picks up until it’s impossible to stop reading. That endin

• The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Preloved
  • The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1)
  • Transcendence (Transcendence, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Blackwood
  • Velveteen
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • The Book of Blood and Shadow
  • Touched
  • Breathless (Elemental, #2.5)
  • The Gathering Darkness
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • The Sweetest Dark (The Sweetest Dark, #1)
  • The Lost Girl
Sarah Rees Brennan is Irish and currently lives in Dublin. For a short stint, she lived in New York and became involved with a wide circle of writers who encouraged and supported her, including Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. She has developed a wide audience through her popular blog, mistful.livejournal.com, where she writes movie parodies, book reviews and some stories.

The Lynburn Legacy (3 books)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
“Hark,” he said, his tone very dry. “What stone through yonder window breaks?”
Kami yelled up at him, “It is the east, and Juliet is a jerk!”
Jared abandoned Shakespeare and demanded, “What do you think you’re doing?”
“Throwing a pebble,” said Kami defensively. “Uh… and I’ll pay for the window.”
Jared vanished and Kami was ready to start shouting again, when he reemerged with the pebble clenched in his fist. “This isn’t a pebble! This is a rock.”
“It’s possible that your behaviour has inspired some negative feelings that caused me to pick a slightly overlarge pebble,” Kami admitted.”
286 likes
“What the hell is going on?" demanded Kami's dad, advancing with his black eyes snapping. Jared blurted, "My intentions are honourable."
Kami sat up straight in her bed and stared in Jared's direction. "Are you completely crazy?" she wanted to know. "This isn't the eighteenth century. How do you think that's going to help?"
"Well, I mean," Jared said, back against the wall like a cornered animal. "When we're older. I mean-"
"Please shut up," Kami begged.
"I agree with Kami," said Dad. "When you're in an abyss-like hole, quit digging.”
244 likes