Start by marking “The Last Man (Mitch Rapp, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Last Man (Mitch Rapp, #13)

The Last Man (Mitch Rapp #13)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  25,109 Ratings  ·  1,302 Reviews
A pulse-pounding thriller by #1 New York Times bestselling phenomenon Vince Flynn, as Mitch Rapp heads to Afghanistan to track down a missing CIA agent.
The four dead guards didn’t concern Mitch Rapp as much as the absence of the man they’d been paid to protect. Joe Rickman wasn’t just another foot soldier. For the last eight years Rickman had ran the CIA’s clandestine oper
Published November 13th 2012 by Emily Bestler Books/Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Man

John
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book with mixed feelings. Vince Flynn has been one of my favorite authors ever since he started the Mitch Rapp series. With his untimely death this past June from prostate cancer, so begins the death of Mitch Rapp in an unintended way.

With "The Last Man" being released in November 2012 and Flynn passing this past June, you would think that there would be no more "Rapp" thrillers to look forward to. You would be WRONG!!!! "The Survivor" (ironically or appropriately named, depending o
Bill Krieger
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I must admit. My 3-star review may be a bit sentimental here. The Mitch Rapp series of books is my all-time favorite. But if this book is "worth reading", then it is barely worth it. The Last Man was disappointing, and there's not much to recommend here.

The glaring weakness in The Last Man is how little Mitch Rapp appears. There are precious few scenes of classic Mitch Rapp action and violence. I think it's a good hundred pages before Mitch Rapp gets going at all.

The plot is really weak and, I w
Brian Rueger
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, assassin
I found this book a little disappointing. The plot was ok, but I hate it when a seasoned writer like Flynn makes serious technical errors in his writing.

I would think that a writer would get some authorities to read his manuscript before publishing; after all, this is not Hollywood! I don't mind it with an author creates an object in his/her fiction - like Dale Brown's super-B-52. However, when they talk about real life entities, they should get it right.

1) (Oxygen tanks used as an explosive at
Ido
Dec 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
The following could have easily been an passage from the book:

- "Good morning Mr. Rapp".
- Rapp casually took out his gun and shot the man. "I told you not to speak unless spoken to. I told you how dangerous I am. Now you understand I wasn't joking".

- "Rapp!", said the very important Army general, "you can't shoot my men. I am a very important person and I am in charge around here! You can call the head of the CIA and she'll tell you I'm running the show!"

- "You have no idea. The issue I was sent
Lorca Damon
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How do you side with the good guys over the bad guys when you can’t tell who the good guys are? And what if the lines between good and bad keep blurring, so that the bad guys sit on the sidelines and watch the good guys destroy each other?

In Vince Flynn’s upcoming installment in his bestselling Mitch Rapp series, The Last Man (Atria) pits all of Washington against itself, set against the backdrop of the Middle East. The FBI fights the CIA who fights the repatriation of Afghani warlords who have
Jeannie Walker
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A safe house with four men lined up on the living room floor. There was nothing about this mess to give Mitch Rapp any kind of assurance that things would be fine, but it gave him an inkling to something he did not want to consider. The safe house looked like an average run of the mill two-story blockhouse in Jalalabad, Afghanistan. So what happened? Rapp's boss, Irene Kennedy sent him to Afghanistan to find Joe Rickman, the most cunning and brilliant operative he had ever worked with. Was the C ...more
Cathy
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well, I love Mitch Rapp. He is everybody's answer to taking out revenge against bad guys. And we love him for being such a patriot and cleaning the world of the scum. But ... I think I'm done with this series. I'm not comfortable with the language, but even more so, with the idea that we are supposed to feel great that our hero can kill with such precision, abandon, and perfection. Evidently, he only had one time when he did NOT take the kill shot to the forehead, and that was when he spared Gou ...more
Rex Fuller
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book. One of Flynn's best, and I have read all of them.
Mike French
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mitch Rapp is back and at his best!
Tamara McKinney
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012, read-2015
Count down to the next one!!!!!
Samuel
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Iron Man has returned….No, not superhero Tony Stark, it’s the CIA’s resident Hitman Mitch Rapp. The novel starts with our protagonist on a trip to Afghanistan investigating the kidnapping of the CIA’s main man on the ground, Joe Rickman who has been the main conduit for bribes in the country. No sooner is he on ground; Rapp is caught up in his toughest mission yet since “Protect and Defend”. What starts out as a typical Flynn terrorism story turns into something much more, a snapshot on where we ...more
Brian
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vince Flynn has done it again! The Last Man is an adrenaline packed thrill ride that has more twists and turns than the world's great roller coasters. The book finds American assassin Mitch Rapp knee deep in a in conspiracy and mystery in post-Bin Laden Afghanistan.

When Joe Rickman, the CIA's top head of clandestine operations in Afghanistan is kidnapped, a tsunami of epic proportions is set off in the various branches of governments and intelligence agencies around the region and in the United
Benjamin Thomas
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
After writing two prequels in the Mitch Rapp series, author Vince Flynn returned to the original timeline in this 13th novel in the series. I was happy to see that because I enjoy the mature, take-no-prisoners Rapp a little more than the younger brash but fallible version.

Once again Mitch has his work cut out for him and his associates as somebody or some organization is out to ambush the CIA’s mission in Afghanistan. An invaluable CIA asset has gone missing, and with him, secrets that in the wr
Joel Anderson
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another outstanding book in the Mitch Rapp series. An agent, Joe Rickman, is kidnapped in Afghanistan leaving behind 4 dead bodyguards in a safehouse that was supposed to be impregnable, not a normal agent, but one who knows most of the CIA's secrets. The question is, can they get him back before he breaks and spills those secrets to the kidnappers? There are many questions, most significantly, who has Rickman and how did they defeat the state of the art security system intended to protect him? ...more
Brian
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Read as an audiobook. A complex plot that is well organized and fluid. The action starts on the first page and continues throughout the book. One of the few books on Afghanistan and related to Pakistan that really explores the complex relationship of the sectarian and the pious coordinating with the Washington power of the alphabet agencies. Although the reason for Rickman ultimate reasoning for what he did is not fully explained, there was not a need - many times what people do is ju ...more
Joseph Lewis
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this guy. Never reviewed him before because everyone - except lefties - knew how great he was. I'll start re-reading him from beginning to end now.
Jeffrey
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
How do you like your action hero. Is it the wise cracking Die Hard hero, who fights hard and spouts funny quips in the face of death, or is the suave James Bond, whose hair is never disheveled, and whose suit is spotless.

Mitch Rapp has been nearly invincible. Maybe wounded. Maybe captured and tortured, but never seriously hurt. His buddies, maimed and killed. His wife and baby, maimed or killed. Superman is boring. We know that he survives if only so Flynn can write another book. It used to be t
Jerome
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a surprisingly good read. There's plenty of intrigue, plenty of action, and, surprisingly, there's a lot more nuance and complexity than Flynn's previous thrillers, which I welcomed.

Vince Flynn has done it again! "The Last Man" is an adrenaline packed thrill ride that has more twists and turns than the world's great roller coasters. The book finds American assassin Mitch Rapp knee deep in a in conspiracy and mystery in post-Bin Laden Afghanistan.

When Joe Rickman, the CIA's top head of c
Matt
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Flynn brings his famed character, Mitch Rapp, back on the scene with another explosive thriller. Using the favourite topic of this genre this decade, fighting against terrorist forces, Rapp is sent to Afghanistan to find a recently captured CIA operative, whose knowledge of many spies working for the US could cause a great mark against the Clandestine Service. Rapp’s rescue attempt is hampered, which flips the tables on the entire operation, partially turning the hunter into the hunted. After di ...more
Nick Brett
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
After a two book diversion to look at Mitch Rapp’s back-story, here we are back in the present. In fact very much the present as a top CIA asset is kidnapped in Afghanistan and the knowledge he holds could put a great deal of the CIA’s intelligence gathering at risk. Mitch Rapp is sent out with a small advance team to try to track down the kidnappers before it is too late. After a while it appears there is another agenda at play although what it is and who is behind it, is not obvious.

Mitch Rapp
Brenda
When Joe Rickman disappeared, seemingly kidnapped, Mitch Rapp was immediately on the case. Joe was head of CIA clandestine operations in Afghanistan, and had a phenomenal memory – he didn’t need to take notes, everything was stored in his head. The opportunity for catastrophe if Joe had been kidnapped by the Taliban was unthinkable. They needed to get him back yesterday!

With the execution style murders of Joe’s four bodyguards the first sign that something more was afoot, Mitch and his team of
Maira
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I love Mitch Rapp. He is the "last man" you want to mess with. I wish Flynn would not have to get so graphic - this time about torture, and all the different gun makes and caliber numbers just go over my head, but other than that, Flynn tells a great story.

This book is set in the current situation of Afghanistan and Pakistan. It reflects the covert operations needed to find Bin Laden, how giving control back to the Afghan people is going, the concerns of Taliban continuing to be a key player, t
Michael
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Fred
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another great one by Vince Flynn. This book kept me turning page after page after page. Mitch Rapp again does what Mitch Rapp does best. He kills bad guys. He even kills good guys that have gone bad.
This book was bitter sweet for me as I knew this was the last book in the Mitch Rapp series. I thoroughly enjoyed every page as I did with the previous 12 Mitch Rapp books. The closer I got to the end, the sadder I became as I knew that when the last page was completed, there would be no more stories
Jason
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
This is the final book written by Vince Flynn....what a great read, as all the books in this penultimate series have been. It's been innumerably reiterated that reading a book is involving yourself in conversation with the author.... It's even more bitingly saddening and bittersweet when you've built that literary rapport with an author who unexpectedly passes away in the present. Man....I've never felt so sorrowful after finishing a book.... RIP Vince.....and thank you for the incredible ride!
Sean Peters
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hi,

my first Vince Flynn book.

Fast paced, great tension good strong characters, another strong character with Mitch Rapp, a real tough nut, who fights hard.

Maybe now I should read the previous 13-14 Vince Flynn books with Mitch Rapp, and I started with the latest one !

Many great characters with Irene Kennedy, Joel Wilson.

Enjoy, I recommend this action thriller.

regards

Sean
Giovanni Gelati
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great Read! Hard to put down,the energy level is intense, and the action non-stop.Rapp is Rapp, the crew is all there, what more can one ask for from another incredible Flynn thriller?
Jelle
Top boek. M'n eerste van Vince Flynn maar zeker niet m'n laatste. Bijna net zo goed als Ik ben Pelgrim.
Bruce
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Vince Flynn's last book. I hate to see the franchise end and am hopeful the cinematic version(s) are like his books. He was a great story teller and he is missed.
Merril Anil
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
Loved it

I am a huge fan of Jack Reacher series by Lee child and i never thought that anybody would come remotely close to the position that Reacher holds with me, but yes Mitch Rap, the main character of the series has managed to do so and now i am officially in love with the series and the man Mitch Rapp. In an odd kind of way both Jack Reacher by Lee child and Mitch Rapp by Vince Flynn has similarities but yet have their own characteristics as well. True to their claim, those who love Jack
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 3 14 Mar 13, 2016 07:29PM
Aussie Lovers of...: Oct-Dec The Last Man - Final Thoughts *Spoilers* 6 18 Jan 01, 2014 04:23PM
Aussie Lovers of...: Oct-Dec The Last Man - First Thoughts *No Spoilers* 10 12 Dec 14, 2013 12:51AM
vince flynn interview 5 79 Jan 18, 2013 01:11PM
  • Black List (Scot Harvath, #11)
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • The Shadow Patrol (John Wells, #6)
  • Threat Vector (Jack Ryan Universe, #15)
  • Black Site (Delta Force, #1)
The fifth of seven children, Vince Flynn was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1966. He graduated from the St. Thomas Academy in 1984, and the University of St. Thomas with a degree in economics in 1988.

After college he went to work for Kraft General Foods where he was an account and sales marketing specialist.

In 1990 he left Kraft to accept an aviation candidate slot with the United States Marine C
More about Vince Flynn...

Mitch Rapp (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)
  • Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)
  • Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)

“Especially” 0 likes