Start by marking “The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation)” as Want to Read:
The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

In Swallow’s new Star Trek novella, Picard comes face-to-face with the Nexus one last time. As the Federation worries about the temporal portal that is about to enter Kinshaya space, Picard comes full circle. Through his experience, he will not only understand Soran better, but himself as well.
Published March 25th 2013 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about The Stuff of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stuff of Dreams

Alejandro
Trek on and hop in the Nexus, baby!

This is a novella from "Star Trek: The Next Generation". A short story which serves as a sequel to the events on the theatrical film "Star Trek: Generations".

NEXUS AGAIN

Thirteen years later, Captain Jean-Luc Picard found himself again in front of the mysterious space phenomenon known as "The Nexus", which has atemporal properties and it's able to bring a "perfect" life to anybody, IF they are able to get into it.

I enjoyed a lot the reading of the novella. O
Katy
Mar 21, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of ST:TNG, especially if interested in the Nexus
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Book Info: Genre: Science Fiction/TV and Movie Tie-in
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: ST:TNG fans, especially those interested in the Nexus.
Trigger Warnings: suicide, genocide (historical Borg attacks mentioned), religious zealots

My Thoughts: This book is definitely for fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation. If you haven't watched the show and/or followed the various books that have been written in the cannon and/or seen the movie Star Trek: Generations you will not have any idea what is go
Bob Milne
Jan 14, 2013 Bob Milne rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
It's been a long while since I last read a Star Trek novel so, when The Stuff of Dreams came along for review, I found myself anxious to catch up with the original timeline and forget about the cinematic 'reboot'.

Right off the bat, you have to gives James Swallow credit for revisiting the problematic first cinematic adventure of Picard and crew. In taking us back to the Nexus, he can't help but prompt memories of the awkwardness of the Kirk/Picard encounter, and the weakness of Kirk's death. Rat
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 Crystal Bensley rated it really liked it
Great stort novel that has Generations ties.
Galen Charlton
Apr 21, 2013 Galen Charlton rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Star Trek completists
Originally posted at Reading Reality.

The Stuff of Dreams is a competent addition to the TNG series, but works best as a palate cleanser between novels. Readers who are new to the recent TNG book series may find themselves a bit lost. To best appreciate Swallow’s entry, I recommend first reading the Destiny trilogy by David Mack and at least dipping into one or two of the Typhon Pact stories.

One of the (guilty?) pleasures of reading media tie-ins is getting the chance to see loose ends tied up. I
Trea
DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER THROUGH NET GALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW!

I'd originally gotten a copy of this a few years ago, and promptly forgot about it. With the changes to Net Galley, it came to my attention that I had never read or reviewed this title, so I set about correcting that error.

If you are unfamiliar with the events of Star Trek: Generations, I hig
Lewis Cunningham
Mar 17, 2013 Lewis Cunningham rated it it was amazing
I haven't read much in the way of Star Trek universe novels in a while. I used to read novelizations of the original series quite often. I also like ST:TNG and Voyager novelizations. I even have a couple in my queue.

For this book, I got an advance copy for review. I had never heard of James Swallow, so I didn't have much in the way of expectations. Turns out James Swallow has a very large history in the Star Trek universe. He has written novelizations of various Star Trek properties, scripted St
Daniel
Apr 06, 2013 Daniel rated it liked it
There was a time in my life when I read every Star Trek novel that came out. That time has long passed. I think I stopped when I couldn't keep up, and when Star Trek: The Next Generation started putting out a couple of novels a month, I stopped buying the books altogether.

What I like about reading a TV-tie-in novel is that you don't have to work too hard as a reader. You are already familiar with the characters and the basic settings, so it's all about plot and adventure.

The down side, of course
Ginny Lurcock
I���m just going to warn you now, I grew up watching Next Gen.

That experience colors this review.

For the first half of the book, I was disappointed. Again, thanks to my aforementioned nostalgia for all things Next Gen. Okay, not so much disappointed, but there was so much blah blah blah with new names and explaining different races and fuck-all if the federation isn���t fucking annoying in text format when you have to describe all the fucking bone ridges instead of just being able to see it.

I wa
Nick Turner
The Western (settled) frontier of the 19th century United States is transmuted into the infinite frontier of space, in the 24th century (the future). This story features a mysterious phenomenon, the Nexus, which allows a few individuals to transcend time and space.

There are familiar Star Trek tropes of glamourous space ships - battleships are awesome; battleships that can fly! In space! - and incongruous down home contemporary talk (in space, in the 24th century i.e. the future) to let readers
Clare O'Beara
Sep 08, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
Set in the Next Generation series, this novel presents a return to the Nexus featured in the film 'Generations'. Jean-Luc Picard is commanding the Enterprise and travels to aid a science mission. The Newton is a pure science vessel and by studying the nexus, a ribbon-like energy field travelling through space, the scientists have determined that it will pass into an area of the galaxy inhabited by religious fanatic fundamentalists the Kinshaya. Rather than let the irrational enemies of Starfleet ...more
Kristin
Mar 16, 2013 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
4 1/2 stars....

I'd like to thank NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book for review.
Its been awhile since I've read anything from the Star Trek universe, as much as I consider myself a closet Trekkie (not quite so closet to some of my friends). This was the perfect quick read to get my Trek fix in, since I haven't been able to go back lately and chill to the old episodes of Enterprise.
The author does a great job of adding a little to the Star Trek universe, while keeping to the ske
C. Purtill
Apr 14, 2013 C. Purtill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a major fan of Star Trek (TV, movies and books), I can say this book is a perfect fit for the canon. James Swallow absolutely nails the world and the characters; he made me feel like I was watching one of the better episodes of Next Generation.

In Stuff of Dreams, Picard is married to Dr. Crusher, Worf is his second-in-command, and La Forge is chief of engineering. There is a temporal phenomenon called the nexus that a science vessel is going to destroy. The ship needs the Enterprise's assista
Jul 24, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
This Star Trek novel was released only as an ebook, and it was a short quick read that re-visited the Nexus from the movie Generations many years later. Picard is now married with a child of his own, and it is interesting to see how changes in his life effect his return to the Nexus. I enjoyed reading it, and my only regret is that it was a short ebook novella rather than a full-length novel.

However, if you are not familiar with the fiction that has continued the Star Trek: The Next Generation
Dan
Mar 07, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, tng, e-books
Aron
Feb 03, 2015 Aron rated it it was ok
I was pretty disappointed with this one. I thought James Swallow's The Poisoned Chalice was excellent, so my expectations were pretty high. Evidently they were too high because it seemed to me that the author of this novella wasn't very familiar with the characters we all know & love. Worf seemed to abandon all intelligence & just wanted to shoot and/or kill something so bad he couldn't stand it. Now I know that would pass for Worf's character in season 2, but come on there's alot more t ...more
Geoffrey
Mar 25, 2013 Geoffrey rated it liked it
First, this is a novella as opposed to a full novel; there are only some 1700 locations to the story. It was a pleasant read and a decent story but it felt like a random episode from the TV series as opposed to an overall part of the Star Trek story arc.

The story revisits the Nexus from the movie Generations and fleshes it out to some degree. There is some intrigue, a little danger and a stand off with alien vessels. I was entertained for an evening as I read it; it's worth the couple bucks to p
Tracey
Mar 17, 2013 Tracey rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
3.75 stars from me and 5 from the hubby!!

If your a fan of Star Trek, like me and my hubby you will love this book.

Time has moved on in the book and jean luc is married!!! The nexus is back and the federation want to destroy it, to stop others using it as a weapon as in they could change history.....let the adventure begin!

It's only 100 pages long and hubby struggled to put it down when he was reading it!! Yes he grabbed off our amazon account and read it before me lol

I received this arc from
Suzy Wilson
THE STUFF OF DREAMS is a tidy little novel. It draws on a range of Roddenberry's pre-built world and owes much to the existing TNG canon. All in all, not a bad read, but more could have been made of this one. It was an entertaining holiday read, but I felt it could have been longer, and explored more of the paradoxes of time and space inherent in anything involving the Nexus. Everything was just a little too pat.
Laurie Kazmierczak
Apr 25, 2016 Laurie Kazmierczak rated it it was amazing
Quick read with a satisfactory plot, character profiles and ending. The Nexus is still winding its way through the universe, soon to be entering an ultra religious antagonistic area of space who are anxious to claim it as a Holy vessel and use it to remake history...Picard has to find a way to either destroy it or make it inaccessible. A nice escapism read.
Benjamin Plume
Mar 28, 2013 Benjamin Plume rated it it was ok
I didn't really care for this one. It's not so much that I think it was poorly written (the prose seemed fine). The concept just seemed awfully contrived to me, and it was very Scooby-Dooish in formula. There were some OK character examinations but the Nexus as a vehicle seemed like an unnecessary rehash.
Daniel Brennan
Feb 15, 2016 Daniel Brennan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and thoughtfully entertaining.

The character development was very natural, if sparse at times. The story moved well and seldom faltered. The ending was satisfying.
Kristen
Jun 03, 2013 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek, 2013
An enjoyable short read, though a tad predictable. I did not see the thing with the Orion operative but I called it with the scientist sabotaging the nexus experiment a mile away. Still, it was a good read, and nice to see a somewhat happier alternative for Soren.
Steve
Jan 30, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it
This was an interesting novella that brings Picard back to the Nexus. I found the build up interesting, but the climax and resolution were rather predictable. The cameo appearance just before the climax was a nice surprise.
Krista D.
Feb 06, 2016 Krista D. rated it it was ok
The low rating is because of the story, not the writing itself. I'm not a fan of the Nexus Ribbon, so wasn't interested in a story about it. Read it in case something happens to set up future books.
Daryl
Nov 09, 2014 Daryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
James Swallow is an excellent writer and his stories are always superb. This is a short novella. It is very well written and engaging.
Devlin Tay
Nov 10, 2016 Devlin Tay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect sequel to Star Trek Generations

Great novella. Perfect sequel to Star Trek Generations, set some years after the Borg invasion of the Star Trek Destiny trilogy.
Timothy
Aug 17, 2012 Timothy rated it it was amazing
this came out today and I finished it in a day such a fantastic read the nexus rules. and for those who don't rember the nexus watch star trek generations :) 5 out of 5.
Davis Grayson
Jan 25, 2016 Davis Grayson rated it really liked it
A great book and a self contained story. Also, nice to see the Nexus again. I would recommend if you enjoy a Picard centered story. A quick read!
William Bruce Herr
William Bruce Herr rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Star Trek Reads: The Stuff of Dreams 4 19 Jun 30, 2013 12:33PM
  • A Ceremony of Losses (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • The Light Fantastic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Peaceable Kingdoms (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • A Choice of Futures (Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation #1)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • The Eternal Tide (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Lust's Latinum Lost (And Found) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
James Swallow is a British novelist and scriptwriter. The author of New York Times and Sunday Times Bestsellers and a BAFTA nominee, he has written over forty original books and tie-in novels, as well as numerous short stories, audio dramas and videogames.

His writing includes the action thriller Nomad, the Sundowners series of Western fiction steampunk novels, Jade Dragon, The Butterfly Effect and
More about James Swallow...