Start by marking “Christmas Parade” as Want to Read:
Christmas Parade

Christmas Parade

A delightful Christmas picture book filled with hilarious characters and dynamic art from the one and only Sandra Boynton!

BOOM biddy BOOM biddy BOOM BOOM BOOM!
What’s that noise filling the room?
From this rousing beginning unfolds Christmas Parade, a merry picture book from Sandra Boynton.
As the dynamic parade of forty-six spiffy and intent animal musicians marches by, you
Published October 2nd 2012 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Parade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Parade

Heidi-Marie
Had to grab this the other day and read when I had time. Then this morning I needed a book for movement storytime. Read through this and knew it was perfect. I had the kids make animals sounds and then play the instruments. They loved it. The great thing--none of the kids there are from my preschool. So I can read it again then!

12/14/16 & 12/15/16 A great way to end the Toddler Christmas theme. Did sounds and instruments again. They loved it. The only downside is the book isn't larger. But b
Vicki
Dec 05, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it
Love this book! Silly animals parading and playing musical instruments. The young ones I read this story to laughed a lot. I wish it had a CD or access to the music played by the various instruments and for the short music at the end-I don't read or play music. Or this book would make a great app.
Viviane Elbee
The rhymes in this book are great and it's funny. The animal expressions (illustrations) are amusing.
I am not sure there is much of a storyline, but I did like the instruments and all the animals.
Cara Noyes
Dec 10, 2016 Cara Noyes rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable! I loved sharing it with my students, and I will need to share it with kindergarten and first grade on a regular basis. I can introduce instruments like the bass drum, snare drum, bassoon, saxophone, piccolo, bugle, and of course the tuba! The kids enjoy finding the rhyming words. The illustrations of these animals are precious. I love this author :-)!
The Amazing Izzy
May 19, 2015 The Amazing Izzy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 0-3
I read Christmas Parade for Baby/Toddler Storytime twice in December because it was such a success the first time around. The book features various animals in a holiday parade playing various instruments. There are many instances of onomatopoeia that make the story more interactive and enjoyable as a read-aloud.

The first time I read this book (12-10-14), I used a musical instrument (a maraca) to go along with the text of this book. Before starting, I invited the audience to stamp their feet wit
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I thought the rhymes and funny animal creature, both a Boynton trademark, were lively and cute but my husband wasn't so amused by the story and thought it was a bit obnoxious. The colors are bold and saturated mixed with some paler neutrals- it's not overly Christmasy so the book's season may possibly be extended. I really like the paper quality of both the dust jacket and the pages. Overall, it's nice but likely not worth anywhere near the $15 cover price.
Allison
For a Christmas season themed story time, this might be nice. It's simple and clever. Perhaps you could even incorporate instruments into the story time, if there isn't already a recording of the book out there.

The only downside is that it is a bit small. So, if you're hosting a huge family story time, not everyone would be able to see the pictures.
Marissa García
It's great to have a Sandra Boynton book in picture book format, though, it is still on the smaller side trim wise.

This title is not the best out of Boynton's body of work, it's just average for her. But Boynton's average is miles better than a lot of work out there for children, so rest assured this is a good book!
Sarah BT
Oct 11, 2012 Sarah BT rated it really liked it
Adorable rhyming text with hippos celebrating a Christmas parade. What could be better? A very fun read for Christmas themed storytimes and would easily lend itself to having your own parade with lots of instruments. Lots of activity ideas that could work with this one (make your own instrument, march in a parade, write your own song, etc)
Kathryn
Okay but not outstanding for me. I guess I just don't associate matching bands and Christmas so this did not fit my idea of a holiday read. Those who do might feel more enthused. Little one liked the sounds of the instruments "boom-boom-boom" etc in the text.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Shelves: xmas
I liked it. Ity won't be my favorite Christmas book ever, but it was cute. Of course, the only reason I could check it out is that The holidays are well over. I gather it's been popular.

Library copy.

Katie Fitzgerald
Read at drop-in story time on 12/14/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 12/14/16: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Margie
Dec 20, 2012 Margie rated it really liked it
Christmas Parade by Sandra Boynton strikes all the right notes with a rhyming narrative, her signature characters playing a variety of instruments and her bright, cheerful illustrations.
My full review:
Alicia Scully
Nov 09, 2012 Alicia Scully rated it really liked it
Boynton does it again! Her characters are out and about as they create the Christmas parade. Readers will love the familiar characters and art styles as well as the cute song at the end. This book is also a good source for music vocabulary that can ease into the topic. Very entertaining.
Rosa Cline
Dec 14, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
This was a fun 'simple' book. My nearly 4 year old granddaughter and I read it together and giggled through. But then she and I went back and she practiced her counting skills, and I was able to teach her about instruments. Lots of stuff in such a little book.
Bree
Nov 16, 2013 Bree rated it it was ok
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
I love Boynton books for their quirky rhyme-y humor, but this one just has no magic; her pictures are always so cute though
Sheila
Dec 14, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Cute story for your toddlers. The Christmas Parade is coming. Animals and counting and instruments and marchers. Delightful!
Lindsay
Dec 01, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it
I know you'll be surprised but this book has great rhythm and is only tangentially Christmasy, making it a more versatile title than some.
Marianne Reeves
Nov 08, 2012 Marianne Reeves rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I'm not a big Sandra Boynton fan but I do like this book. Perfect for reading to a toddler at Christmas time.
Alisa
Dec 06, 2012 Alisa rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Sandra Boynton books, and this one is just like any other. It is such a fun rhyming and counting and boom bity book. Great read.
Ingrid
Short and sweet. Great for story times. This went over well with both groups. We added a musical activity, creating our own parade with marching and jingle bells.
Jo
Dec 08, 2013 Jo rated it really liked it
A cute little picture book for toddlers and young preschoolers. Lots of opportunities to make noise while reading aloud.
Samantha
Nov 07, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
A rhyming, rhythmic Christmas read aloud. With so many instruments featured this might be a good title for a musical storytime.

Fun and something fresh to add to the Christmas library.
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Alana
Alana rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Wendy Kuzma
Wendy Kuzma rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Kayce
Kayce rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2016
Marisa
Marisa rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Just Right for Christmas
  • The Christmas Quiet Book
  • Christmas Wombat
  • Click, Clack, Ho! Ho! Ho!
  • Squeak, Rumble, Whomp! Whomp! Whomp!: A Sonic Adventure
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas?
  • Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story
  • The Birds of Bethlehem
  • I Spy Under the Sea
  • Merry Christmas, Ollie!
  • The Christmas Train: A True Story
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo: Told And Sung By The Good Fairy
  • Two Little Monkeys
  • The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Christmas: A Safety Guide for Scaredies
  • Piggy Bunny
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...