Start by marking “How to Retire the Cheapskate Way: The Ultimate Cheapskate's Guide to a Better, Earlier, Happier Retirement” as Want to Read:

Unlike most retirement planning and lifestyle books that focus on investing – or at the other end of the spectrum, on how to get the senior discount on a Grand Slam Breakfast at Denny’s –  this new book from Jeff Yeager, America’s favorite cheapskate,  makes the compelling case that you can have a joyous, worry-free retirement by merely spending smart and focusing on what ...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Crown Business (first published December 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Retire the Cheapskate Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Retire the Cheapskate Way

Start your review of How to Retire the Cheapskate Way: The Ultimate Cheapskate's Guide to a Better, Earlier, Happier Retirement
Robin
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I never read these retirement guides word for word since I have a retired spouse and am close to retirement myself and think I have a good handle on what works, but I always glean some nugget of good information from each one I skim. I would heartily recommend this, though, to anyone who hasn't boned up on their retirement plans or money strategy. It's also good for those who can't follow the advice from many retirement counselors who recommend one have at least one million dollars socked away, ...more
Timothy Stobbs
A good read for some ideas on living simply but I found some of his advice unhelpful. For example he generally ignored investing other than to save focus on capital preservation which has its own risks. I liked the people profiles in the book just because they showed some very low cost lifestyles.
Neens Bea
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2020
Very well read and full of good tips and amusing stories. I skipped the chapters that were only relevant for Americans (and the ‘final’ chapter).
Jared
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
The best parts of this book are the profiles of "cheapskates" (a positive term, as defined in this book) where you get to hear about how real people have been living using the values and techniques described in this book.

The author's style is humorous and generally entertaining while still clear and concise enough to make this an easy read.

Having said all of that, this book isn't particularly novel and I came away feeling like I hadn't really learned much. It was enjoyable, but not substantial.
Kristin
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I’ll put this one in more of the “Inspiration” pile rather than the “information” pile. Fun to read.
Gina
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
How to Retire the Cheapskate Way by Jeff Yeager.

Reread January 2016.
~*~*~*~*~*~*
This isn't the normal financial/retirement how-to book. It goes beyond giving up lattes and is the polar opposite of the "Rich Dad" philosophy. I'll be honest I wish I had had this book available when I was younger but I don't know if I would have listened either. At least not the first time. :) Back then, 50 seemed sooo far away it didn't even seem real.

"How to Retire the Cheapskate Way" is about deciding as soon a
Marathon County Public Library
A person would not expect a nonfiction book about retirement to be a real page-turner, but the author's writing style in this one keeps you engaged chapter after chapter. A good example is a direct quote from A Word From the Author: "The following book is what I call "colorized nonfiction". That means it's basically true, with the exception of any character, passages, people, places, events dialogue, and other stuff that I made up or embellished for the sole purpose of trying to keep you, the re ...more
Nona Thomas
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Reading the book “How To Retire The Cheapskate Way” I always laugh and smile when I read books like this. I am a baby boomer raised by depression era parents. I laugh because Jeff Yeager’s suggestions on saving money were adopted years ago by my parents. We called it living Po’ not Poor but Po’. Anyone who is poor in this county or grew up poor knows everything in this book and more. Shopping at thrift stores, hand-me-downs, home cooked meals, bag lunches, riding on public transportation, family ...more
Jessica
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Basic advise for the person just starting on their financial freedom journey. I call the advise basic because it advises you to get out of debt, be frugal, and invest your money, but there are not a lot of details on how to go about it.

It could be good for a beginner because a surprising number of people haven't even gotten far enough to make the above three items goals for themselves.

I've read Jeff Yeager before and while he was amusing in his frugality advise, his jokes in this book fall fla
Rayfes Mondal
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great message that how much you spend in retirement is as important or more than how much you've saved. And that it isn't about suffering and living like a poor person before or after. A lot of specific ideas about things to do that don't cost a lot but are rewarding. "Selfish" employment is an option as well. When you're just looking for a little extra money you can be choosy about what you do. The book alternates chapters between advice and personal stories.

I'm disappointed that healthcare cos
Margaret Lozano
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple and straightforward advice conveyed in a down-to-earth, dad humor manner that will be off-putting to some. I do think the generation he’s writing for is pretty much retired already, but any boomers who are still getting things sorted may find it useful.

Much of the lifestyle guidance presented here is ubiquitous in the FI/FIRE community (hipsters balk at the word “cheapskate): focus on spending less, growing your skill set, and don’t waste money - and your one precious life - on things yo
Mount Prospect Public Library
Although I am not close to retirement age...and have never wanted to be a cheapskate, this book was just what I needed. After reading it, I feel more in control of my money and have a better understanding of what makes me truly happy--which turns out to be free! ~Heather

What a bargain! In one book, you can be more fiscally responsible, feel secure about your future, and make yourself happy. Save a little more for retirement by borrowing this gem from the Library: available in print, audio, and d
James Frederick
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
There is a LOT of good information, here. There is also just a lot of "STUFF"...

The idea that your financial health in retirement is largely within your own control and depends more on how much you SPEND instead of how much income you bring in is empowering and thought provoking.

Some of the discussion here seemed like it could have been moved to an appendix, instead of included in the text. I don't need to read about 50+ businesses I can have in retirement, unless I really want to look into it.
Samantha
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, finance
A decent book if you aren't familiar with the lifestyle, but if you already live with some of the major concepts in play, this isn't new. Living within and below your means is something my parents always did, so it doesn't feel revolutionary. We already emphasize minimizing potential debt, so a lot of this book was repeat info I already know via life experience. Some of the stuff involving medical insurance was informative, but overall, I don't actually feel like I personally learned a lot. I th ...more
Jessica
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
Great stories about other "cheapskates" plans or past stories on how retirement went for them. I still have 40 years until I need to consider social security, but this was still very informative. I wish our tax system was a bit different to help the rising concern of the limitation on social security. Did not take away too much new information. Many of the principles suggested in this book I already live by or think about.
Starla Nichols
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: skim-read
I am certain this book is amazing, I have just completed what now appears to be an overwhelming amount of research on finances and saving money etc etc. That I am hearing the same things in this book. But I am also a researcher, it is my literal job to research for others and I do for myself. Unfortunately by the time I got around to this book I am work out. So Technically I did not "finish" it. But it seems like it could hep a lot of people.
Laura Frechette
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent advice for people who want to live life to the fullest rather than amassing material goods.
I've pretty much always been a cheapskate & get teased about it . However the same people who tease me can't figure out how I'm able to travel when they're not even able to take a "staycation " even though they're working way more hours than me.
Susan
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This author has an enjoyable conversational style of writing. Not every idea he presents is one I immediately would grab onto, but I did enjoy this book and got enough out of it to be glad to have read it. Glad also that this was from my library and I may go back and check it out again some day down the road when the topic is more relevant.
Atlantis
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
This had several points in it that were really just common sense. Looking for ways to save money in your budget, figuring out what you make, what you spend and how that applies to what you will need for your retirement. He lost me when he said that he and his wife had decided early in their marriage to not have children...Ahem.
Sandra Acacia
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: financial
Overall the content was good, but I found the, You may need financial help if. . . annoying and not realistic. I also felt that the physical descriptions of people, their clothing, hats and facial hair was not necessary. This is not a novel.
I found myself skimming over those parts to get to the content. Jeff supplied a lot if good advise but it probably could have been done in 200-250 pages.
Katherine Bronk
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A+!!! So much good information. I borrowed this ebook from the library but, darn it - I'm going to have to buy it because it is such a great resource and my husband won't read an ebook. I now have hope that I can retire much earlier than I had previously thought. I am looking forward to reading Jeff Yeager's other books, as well.
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author makes a lot of good points in terms of the amount of money it takes to retire and how to retire without having millions. Good book, although too many web site references (audio book reading was tedious) that are specific and probably out of date.
Stephen
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
An ok overview, but not much new for someone who has a good understanding of frugality with regards to retirement. Possibly good for those who spend too much currently to try and give them some examples of how to cut back so they can retire on time or early.
Vaughn
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the concept. The biggest lesson I learned here was to live within your means and always save money. Nothing really new but a nice refresher. And several great examples of how to actually do it.
Sherry
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
If you aren't well versed on how to live inexpensively, this will be an awesome book and a quick read. Even if you are pretty good at it, you can still get some good basic tips. The very end of the book is where I found my pearls of wisdom ideas. Thanks.
Patricia
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was very well done in that the information shared was easy to understand. There are a variety of suggestions some of which I would never do but there are enough gems that have given me food for thought. Jeff Yeager is a very endearing author that hooks you in with his honesty .
Amanda
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good breakdowns of Social Security and Medicare, but otherwise nothing very new.
Nicole
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't learn too much new information, but was affirmed in the financial choices my family makes.
Glennie
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
It's great reading these cheapskate ideas for early retirement. Wondering how he would write the healthcare chapter now, with all the changes going on,,,,
Jill Miller
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun book to read with many interesting ideas/suggestions.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How to Retire with Enough Money: And How to Know What Enough Is
  • Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need
  • Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early): How Far Would You Go for Financial Freedom?
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn’t Have to Be Complicated
  • Meet the Frugalwoods: Achieving Financial Independence Through Simple Living
  • Work Optional: Retire Early the Non-Penny-Pinching Way
  • Outfoxed (Andy Carpenter, #14)
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning
  • Healthy Habits Suck: How to Get Off the Couch and Live a Healthy Life… Even If You Don’t Want To
  • You Can Retire Sooner Than You Think: The 5 Money Secrets of the Happiest Retirees
  • How to Make Your Money Last: The Indispensable Retirement Guide
  • Cheaper, Better, Faster: Over 2,000 Tips and Tricks to Save You Time and Money Every Day
  • Choose FI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Who Let the Dog Out? (Andy Carpenter, #13)
  • Trapped (Afraid, #2)

News & Interviews

“Buy Ketchup in May and Fly at Noon: A Guide to the Best Time to Buy This, Do That and Go There, by Mark Di Vincenzo.” 0 likes
“The easiest dollar you’ll ever earn is the one you’ve already earned and don’t lose or waste.” 0 likes