Start by marking “Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness” as Want to Read:
Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness

Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  320 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
BURN FAT, NOT TIME

The ultimate get-in-shape-fast, at-home, no-equipment-required program designed especially for women—from the ultra-fit Special Operations trainer and author of You Are Your Own Gym

Say goodbye to long, tedious hours at the gym and boring, muscle-depleting cardio exercises. Elite trainer and fitness guru Mark Lauren is here to show you that the best—and
Published January 1st 2013 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Body by You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body by You

Dawn
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A dearth of affordable gyms has led me to look for alternative options and as this was the only body weight (or calisthenics) book I could find at my local library, this is where I'm starting.
The author of this book has spent some time training members of the military and despite a book created specifically for woman, he still ends up with a bit of the macho attitude that can go with that.
As per usual with every exercise book I read, I skimmed the beginning pep talk portions. Honestly, I alrea
Sydney
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have lost 94 pounds with diet and exercise since January 2012. I was getting tired of my 2 and a half hours of daily cardio and strength training and would skip for weeks at a time, and my weight loss would slow or stop. I had You Are Your Own Gym but it looked too advanced for me, and I was scared. Then I saw this book. I read through it one evening and was very motivated. Mark Lauren's philosophies on cardio and strength training were refreshing and made sense. I decided to give his program ...more
Leslied
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked this much better than his first book,which was far to bootcamp/how big is your ...well you get the picture - for me. This one has plain simple and hard body weight exercises and a simple time management plan to go with it. The diet section is not all about supplements and eating 5 almonds or 10 pieces of lettuce. It too is simple and common sense. I actually have no excuse now not to get into better shape. Darn it!
Val
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mark Lauren is my favorite trainer. I follow his methods in my own training, and his work has tremendously influenced my training approach with clients. I like that this book takes the woman's body and the way we gain strength and power into account. Highly recommended!
Keldrmilne
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
randomly picked this book up at my local library. The simple approach to strength training appealed to me, especially the time commitment, as well as the logic and effectiveness of other interval-type training programs I have done. This seemed like it would get me to the next level in terms of strength and tone. I am now 7 weeks into the program; still on Cycle 1, but plateaued enough to step it up to Cycle 2 soon. I like how the exercises build off one another and progress in difficulty, but at ...more
Tanja
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I must first admit that I did not read this cover-to-cover, as I would be hard pressed to read any fitness book in such a manner. A novice exerciser might consider reading the book in its entirety, but I have been around the exercise trend roller coaster for a while and am skeptical of any approach that claims it is the only exercise you'll need to achieve optimal health. A word to the wise novice however: just because the authors despise traditional cardio does not mean you must. The best exerc ...more
Grace Major
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren is a book written to answer the excuses many people use for not having an active lifestyle. He removes all of the excuses in his book and focus on getting the reader to focus on using his body to maintain an exercise regimen. He does not focus on food and does not offer any quick fixes to fitness. He offers a realistic approach to exercising. What I found interesting about this book is that although he writes that all you need is your body to exercise many of ...more
Suzanne Earley
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I'm just starting out, but the philosophy of this book appeals to me. It's based on You Are Your Own Gym, and from what I gather, I'm not even close to being about to doing the easiest stuff in the original book. I'm beginning of a journey to lose pounds and inches and gain strength and health, and I think this is going to be an important piece of my plan.
Clarissa
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies
I'm going to give this a shot. Most of the work I've been doing lately is a 5-6 day a week schedule that is entirely too time consuming with two kids (one in band and one on multiple sports) that require rides to and from their events.
Nicole
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Das Drum-herum ist gelesen. Jetzt geht's an die Übungen. mal sehen ob's was nützt
Stacy
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Picked this up for $1.99. Overall, I'd say it was worth it. I really like the exercises and how you can move through them gradually. I like that there's no equipment other than a hand towel (for Let Me Ins and sometimes the squats)--which makes it easy to do these exercises virtually anywhere. If you're one of those people who find doing even a few push-ups too hard--even when you're modifying them--these are a great way to work your way up to them.

The only issue I have with this book is that L
Belinda
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alright! I'm getting a head start on 2015's resolutions (such a cliche). I wanted to find a workout that I could do anywhere, and would really get me fit. And I've got to say, if this program provides the results it promises, I'm pretty impressed. I started the assessment yesterday - just an assessment! - and am already sore. But I love how scaled it is, and do-able. So it simultaneously gives ambitious goals, and a modified version so there are no excuses for giving up. If the program started w ...more
Alexis
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this, although the organization could have been better. There was a lot of flipping back and forth. And there could have been a more explicit explanation of the course of workouts itself. It's like, all of a sudden there are charts with weird terms on it.

Also, 2 photographs are not enough to explain some of the exercises, especially when so much of the efficacy and progress depends on proper form. I was hoping, even expecting, that there would be a series of videos showing them. But his
Mary (BookHounds)
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-vine, 2012
MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

Every January, I try to get back into shape and this year I think I found the perfect book to help me out. I can't get to a gym and with a bad back, some exercises are just impossible for me to try. I am now working through this program and I find that it is really easy to do. No special equipment, no special things, just a door and some floor space to make the whole thing work. You can make the exercise as easy as you need it to be and for anyone with injuries, it is easy to
Kimberly
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great book with tons of myth busters about fat, muscle and dieting. And all the information you need to start working out - at home, without a gym or equipment - and start feeling great. Wonderful information!

Being a Weight Watcher leader, I like to keep up with current research and trends. I have been using Lauren's strength training exercises for the past month or so and have seen results in my stamina and muscle strength. I have traditionally done low-impact aerobics or kick boxing with add
Mary Ruth Kamp
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
I'm new to body weight work outs but though this book is really simple, I find it great. It offers doable toning/muscle strengthening exercises without needing to go to the gym or have any special equipment which I love. I'm feeling stronger already!

One thing that I read that I absolutely was impressed with -
the reminder and encouragement to women to be the healthiest and strongest they can be and to love their own bodies - and NOT to grasp onto a body image that is impossible for their body t
Josh
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Do you have a floor? table and chair? door? If yes, then you're all set with this book. It lists exercises and a program to show you which exercises to do, when to do them, and how many to do.

As this book is the sequel to _You are your own gym_, I think that upon graduating from this program will let you slip right into the middle of the earlier system.

This book is nicely illustrated. The nutrition section is okay. I found the introduction fairly uninspiring; for me there was too much pandering
Amy Bai
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
-A good way to replace daily cardio when running out of time.
-Did not read it from cover to cover, but picking moves that work for my stage.
-Some of the moves are too advanced.Most important thing is that this book keeps you motivated, so you do not stop training yourself to be better!Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness
Sara Stafford
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this right after finishing You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren and while they are very similar, I thought the women-specific information in this book was appropriate and well done. The author did a great job of addressing almost all of my "I can't exercise because_____" excuses and I thought he had a refreshing style. I feel like I'm now better equipped to face my fitness goals this year.
Lucy
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I intend to try the exercise plan, but the nutritional info I'd already learned elsewhere, and the acidic/alkaline blood part made me roll my eyes. I guess every health/exercise/diet book has to have SOME bogus "science" in it somewhere.

I did notice that the dive-bombers exercise and all of the bending movements look suspiciously like yoga poses.

Only one plug for his doorway bar (I guess the equipment-free exercises are only *mostly* equipment-free).
Gray
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Not bad, interesting approach to getting fit? The exercises that have variants increasing by difficulty seems very good (I would have some apprehension about the use of household items like doors for the exercises). Since I checked it out of the library and this particular fitness plan is very long term if I wanted to do it I would need my own copy of the book.
Keri
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I was looking for a good way to do some strength training and the ability to get exercise when the weather is not so great. This book was recommended by a friend who has really gotten herself in shape. I have not really used it but have read it and it seems reasonable. I feel that some of the ways of doing things does not work well for my home environment though.
Victoria
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great exercise plan. I reread it every time I need motivation to exercise and need a structured yet flexible routine. Mark Lauren offers both encouragement and an easy to follow full body workout in just 30 minutes/3 days a week that really works.
Restarting this plan again after a crippling ankle injury. Just one week into it and already seeing and feeling results.
Nilya
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Looking forward to augmenting my fitness routine with some body weight exercises. The nutrition sections informative but the meal suggestions are a little meh how many hard boiled egg whites can a girl eat a day?
Jessica
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I am just about to start week 2 of my 1st cycle. I really like his voice in this book and the way he presents the info. Very easy to understand and quick to read. The exercises themselves are quick, but boy can you feel it! Can't wait to see how I advance in this journey.
Robin
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Many of these things I've heard before, but some of it was new. I'm still skeptical of the results from bodyweight exercise alone, but we'll see. The book, by itself, was a good read for anyone interested in health & fitness.
LadyS
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
challenging exercise. Good information about keeping in shape.
Jessica
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. I am currently doing the exercise program!
Jenn
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This sounds like a realistic approach. I guess I'll have to follow up in 2 months and see what I think then.
Katie
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, fitness
I skimmed through most of it and tried the exercises. I think the workouts from his other book are better (harder, but work better), and easier to figure out so I'm going to stick with those.
  • Acupressure's Potent Points: A Guide to Self-Care for Common Ailments
  • Thrive Fitness: Mental and Physical Strength for Life
  • May Martin's Sewing Bible e-short 1: Everything You Need to Get You Started
  • Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth
  • Dr. John Lee's Hormone Balance Made Simple: The Essential How-to Guide to Symptoms, Dosage, Timing, and More
  • Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • The Swing!: Discover the Revolutionary Kettlebell Program That Will Take You from Fat to Fit
  • The Perricone Promise: Look Younger, Live Longer in Three Easy Steps
  • Your Best Body Now: Look and Feel Fabulous at Any Age the Eat-Clean Way
  • The Rosedale Diet
  • You Become What You Think About: How Your Mind Creates The World You Live In
  • Dalla parte delle bambine
  • Fight!: A Practical Guide to the Treatment of Dog-Dog Aggression
  • Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-free Living: 1
  • Body, Mind, and Sport: The Mind-Body Guide to Lifelong Health, Fitness, and Your Personal Best
  • The Power of Ashtanga Yoga: Developing a Practice That Will Bring You Strength, Flexibility, and Inner Peace--Includes the complete Primary Series
  • Love Has No Age Limit: Welcoming an Adopted Dog Into Your Home

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“I’ve met people in just about every shape and form in which they exist. And never, not ever, have I found a kind of people that is not breathtakingly gorgeous. Of course, all the world’s nationalities and ethnicities meet and mix in America, more than in any other country, and the results all are beautiful. What’s not beautiful to me is the typical advertising of women. I see it in all the world’s cities now: enormous billboards cast two stories high, parading some phony Western ideal of beauty—tall, bone thin, and mainly white.” 1 likes
“EVOLVE: Earn Victory Over Life’s Vast Excuses. Make winning a habit.” 0 likes