Start by marking “Velocity: The Seven New Laws for a World Gone Digital” as Want to Read:
Velocity: The Seven New Laws for a World Gone Digital

Velocity: The Seven New Laws for a World Gone Digital

How can you win when the only certainty is change? Highly accessible, lively and inspiring, Velocity draws upon the authors’ unique perspectives and experiences to present seven timeless new laws for businesses and individuals in a world that is dominated by rapid change and digital technology.

Written as a fascinating and enjoyable conversation between the authors – Stefan
Published May 3rd 2012 by Vermilion

To ask other readers questions about Velocity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Velocity

Magdalene Lim
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: digital creatives, people in marketing, someone who wants an easy read
I loved the nice, big font and white space that made it easy on the eye. An easy read, chock-full of interesting quotes and anecdotes. The content in this book reminded me of an Urban Genius talk conducted by Iris Worldwide. While very current and relevant now, I fear this will not be an enduring book. Read it quick so you get the most out of it now!
VaultOfBooks
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
By Ahmed Ajaz and Stefan Olander. Grade: A
The world as we know it is changing. The authors give an excellent example: gone are the days when we enter a city clueless whether our taxi driver is taking you for a ride or giving you the best journey to your location. You have the optimum, recommended information that’s updated as you move, in the palm of your hand. Previously you would have been a stranger in the new city with an outdated tourist guide. Now you can have the exchange rate, the langua
Karen López
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
It's a book worth reading, easy to digest... but it is missing more insight. That is due probably because of the way it is written ( as a conversation) which makes it easy to follow, although hard to get use to in the beginning.
J.F. Penn
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneur
Excellent business book, about the speed of business. Get going, then get better. Evolve immediately. Seize the momentum of a beta world always in motion.
Mariana
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This (and 'Don't Make Me Think' by Steve Krug) is the best work-related book I have read. Easy to read and understand, the conversational format makes it accessible and practical. Based on the vast working experience of Ajaz Ahmed (founder of AKQA) and Stefan Olander (VP of Digital for Nike), this book will not throw theory at you but instead sets a bunch of cultural principles to be applied in your day-to-day working in digital. The book encourages you to be bold, make mistakes and learn from t ...more
Jasper
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I started reading this with high expectations because of the authors. In 2012 this book would be revolutionary and full of useful insights. In 2019 it is full of ideas and concepts that are not true anymore, like using social media to stand-out while old brands are still using mass media. I should probably have read it when I bought it in 2013 😬

It is written like a conversation, or it was recorded and transcripted. An interesting way but it reads like sitting in a conversation in which you canno
Carlos Bustamante Restrepo
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Poorly written.
The-vault
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
By Ahmed Ajaz and Stefan Olander. Grade: A
Martin Kearns
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an okay read, some of the stories showed a new world attitude towards how a Digital mind thinks. I feel the book was a little lazy, someone scribes a few conversations between people and calls it a book.

I bought the book in a bargin basement so it was worth what i pain. Mainly for the principle pages.

The authors know alot more than whats in this book, which leaves me disappointed.
Goutam Hebbar
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Note: Read as a summary.
Cenk
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
The format is written literally as a conversation between the two authors, Ajaz Ahmed & Stefan Olander, two of our generation's most creative and passionate businessmen who are the Chairman and Co-Founder of AKQA and Vice President, Digital Sport, Nike Inc. Boom. The Velocity formula and the laws around is a clever way of explaining how businesses need to be conducted to be successful in today’s very competitive digital economy. I really like the following laws (chapters) in this book:
• “A S
Jacob Munk-Stander
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good read on how businesses should embrace digital as part of their organization, processes, products and marketing.

The results of the work between AKQA (Ajaz Ahmed) and Nike (Stefan Olander) is a living proof of how an insightful and trusting relationship between client and agency can lead to new and valuable business opportunities (as well as campaigns).

The format of the book is a "dialogue" between agency and client which is confusing at times. They are both insightful and opinionated on ho
Olivier Van D'huynslager
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The most powerful force in the universe isn't technology. It's imagination.

Everything suddenly got so much faster, and that changed everything else in ways nobody would have imagined. Those who dared won. Those who dare shall win. It's all about designing the beautiful and building the impossible.

The trick is channeling the endless curiosity of your inner child with the clear sense of purpose, outer direction and responsibility you have as an adult. Editing down all that amazement at the world i
Rob Estreitinho
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If it wasn't enough that this book was co-written by one of the most important figures in the digital world, with a fantastic view about how digital media helps companies deliver increasingly awesome experiences, products and services, what truly astonished me was that the other author was... his client. Ajaz Ahmed (AKQA) and Stefan Olander (Nike) have crafted a little masterpiece right here, which will make you stick to their conversations (the whole book is written as an exchange of messages b ...more
Bjorn Hardarson
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I do not know was an ok book, just my obsession on buying at least one book at the airport, should though have taken Collins or Kanheman. As even though they have something to say I was excpecting something like rework and how it is setup as a converstation between two talented people it did not give much to me to think about
Livingston Samuel
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
One of the best books that I've read in recent times.

In this book, Ajaz Ahmed (AKQA) and Stefan Olander (Nike), provide great insight about doing the right thing in this digital age, from the perspective of an agency and the client.

A must read for anyone, involved in the digital industry — innovators, developers, designer, analysts, marketers, advertisers.
Nora
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
The book is written as a conversation which makes it feel like a podcast. The conversation meanders, there are some nice one-liners, and the summaries don't really summarise but add new points. Sometimes it feels like an ad for Nike. If you don't know what they're talking about then it will make no sense. It doesn't go into a lot of depth. Fun to read if you're interested but not essential.
Jordan Willing
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although a bit repetitive with many of the leadership books of it's era the book still contains some great nuggets you can pull from. The chapter , "a smith & Wesson beats four aces" is a really good primer for anyone struggling with change. Similar to the work of Godin, this is written conversationally which makes it easy to digest and get thru quickly. Definitely one I would recommend.
Hanna KG
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very apt and current book about marketing and today's digital climate. An interesting read, particularly for anyone within the digital, advertising or marketing industries. It's easy to tell from reading this book, that the authors are experienced and knowledgable in this field. It's very much written from an expert, yet humble POV.
Firdaus
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was given from a good friend of mine (thanks Sarah!). It was a series of interview of the authors upon their experiences in industries. The book talking about optimism and shards on the four principle - speed, direction, acceleration and discipline.
Regan Warner
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm in the advertising business and this book is genius. Cuts through all the industry bullshit and breaks it down. Working for either of these gentleman would be awe inspiring. I can only hope to use this new knowledge/philosophy every single day. Highly recommend.
Alex
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a fantastic book for anyone in marketing, digital, mobile, branding. You've got the two most important POV's, the agency and the client. Two of which are leaders in their respective industries. Must read!
Daryl Muranaka
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting ideas. I like the conversation format, but found some of the ideas a bit too off-the-cuff and a little superficial. I think the seven "laws" are actually very good rules of thumb and applicable to life in general. A more detailed and deeper sequel might be in order.
Rick Yvanovich
Great perspective on a world gone digital or rather that's just an example of another trend or spike that impacts and shapes biz. I graed Grow just befor this and Wes a lot of resonance between e two, different styles, but some similar important messaging
Rita
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
It really isn't something new, but the way it is written is so easy to read and the insight so close to reality (at least the reality I would like to see in the business world) I have to say it's one of the best books I've read in the last years.
Simon
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
A crash course in the digital era. One of the best books to recommend to corporate types struggling to understand how business has fundamentally shifted in the 21st century.
Bartosz
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's boring.
Holly
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas, but the downside of it being co-written by a Nike employee means there are only a few examples of how other companies are doing things - it's mainly Team Nike!
  • Make your Idea Matter
  • The Choice
  • Sticky Branding: 12.5 Ways to Stand Out, Attract Customers, and Grow an Incredible Brand
  • Hegarty on Advertising
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • The Smarter Screen: Surprising Ways to Influence and Improve Online Behavior
  • Draw to Win: A Crash Course on How to Lead, Sell, and Innovate With Your Visual Mind
  • Creative Mischief
  • Buyer Personas: How to Gain Insight Into Your Customer's Expectations, Align Your Marketing Strategies, and Win More Business
  • The Conversion Code: Capture Internet Leads, Create Quality Appointments, Close More Sales
  • Hypnotic Writing: How to Seduce and Persuade Customers with Only Your Words
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • Time Management for a productive life
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe
  • Webs of Influence: The Psychology of Online Persuasion
  • Renegades Write the Rules: How the Digital Royalty Use Social Media to Innovate
  • How Brands Grow: What Marketers Don't Know
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
Ajaz Ahmed is the CEO of AKQA, the ideas and innovation company he founded aged 21. AKQA today employs over 1,500 people in 15 offices around the world. In 2014 AKQA won the Queen’s Award for Enterprise Innovation. Ajaz co-authored Velocity: The Seven New Laws for a World Gone Digital.
“Wondering which half of your ad spend is wasted? Velocity says: ‘Wrong question. Try again.’ Instead of just interrupting people, serve them and make them feel something. Sorry, but that takes longer than thirty seconds. Make meaningful connections.” 1 likes
“IV. Convenient is the enemy of right Velocity needs you to be streamlined. The requisite craftsmanship takes perseverance and discipline. Obsess over important details, and edit ferociously. Never have anything to apologise for.” 0 likes