Start by marking “Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage: And One to Save It” as Want to Read:
Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage: And One to Save It

Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage: And One to Save It

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Poems can teach us in ways that surpass other forms of understanding, especially when the subject concerns matters of the heart. When the heart’s whispers are too faint for us to hear in ordinary ways, poetry can speak to us with another kind of eloquence.

From the leap of joy that a couple takes on their wedding day to a fiftieth wedding anniversary that acknowledges the
Published December 26th 2012 by Shambhala (first published December 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage

Erin
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I hate poetry. But I know a lot of people don't, so when I saw this book on NetGalley I thought it would be a good time to give it another go. It's poems about marriage, and hey, I like marriage!

I think part of why I (and I suspect others, but maybe I'm projecting) don't like poetry, is that I don't "get" it. I never get it. It makes me feel stupid and small-minded. No matter how many ways I read it, whatever intonations and cadences I try, even reading it aloud, it does not speak to me at all.
The BookChick
"Poems teach us in ways that surpass other forms of understanding, especially when the subject concerns matters of the heart."

My Rating: ★★★★

Book Description:

Michelle Moloney King
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it

In Roger Housden’s Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage, we are tendered poems and essays that voice the heart. The selection of poetry offers succour and wisdom on the long path of loves journey.

Housden separates the poems into sections covering: The Joy, The Journey, The Work, The Love, The Union, and The Saving Grace. He introduces the poetry with essays conveying the core of the poems’ glimmer. If you are seeking the lyrical whispers of your heart; this is the book for you.

Housden curates an
Beckey
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: motivational
The book was more than just a collection of poems. It’s a compilation of various authors’ work that created the book.
The poems were divided into six major areas… (Included are the parts or sections of poems I enjoyed in each area)
1. The Joy:
I love you, not only for what you are
But for what I am, when I am with you
I love you, not only for what you have made of yourself
But for what you are helping me to make of myself … (Adapted by Roger Housden)
2. The Journey:
Love one Another, but not mak
Phil Mayes
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I read a little aloud to Maureen each night. In almost every word, it matched the tranquility and transcendence of our relationship.

Its structure is five sections: The Joy, The Journey, The Work, The Love, The Union, each with four poems preceded by commentary. An excerpt from The Journey:
At the same time, we will always be distinct and unique individuals, with our own preferences and inclinations, our own longings and dreams.… You will always be distinct from your beloved eve
Reading in Black & White
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Roger Housden has compiled an absolutely wonderful collection of love poems in Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage: And One to Save It. Between each poem, Housden writes an essay that gives some background on the poet and the poem. The book is broken down in six categories: The Joy, The Journey, The Work, The Love, The Union, and The Saving Grace. Overall, this is an excellent complication of poetry that deals specifically with all phases of marriage.

Disclaimer: This book was provided by the pu
Michelle
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I have always given this series of books 5 stars, but this one is my least favorite this far. The essays came before sets of poems, which was hard because I hadn't yet read them and I couldn't appreciate what he was trying to say about love. He just reached too far and glossed over too much. I'm going to go back to his 10 poems... series and hopefully discover some new poets and poems to love.
Stephanie
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Those who want to have a deep love in their lives must collect and save for it, and gather honey.
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Soaked in honey, stung and
swollen,
Reckless, pinned against time?
- Ellen Bass
Rachel
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I would've preferred more poems and less commentary.
Walter Logeman
Anne
Apr 05, 2013
Becky Pliego
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved 5 of the 20 poems.
Lynda Hild
Fanny
Dec 26, 2013
Mary
Jul 04, 2016
Roger Housden is the author of some twenty books of non fiction, including the best selling Ten Poems series. His new book, SAVED BY BEAUTY: ADVENTURES OF AN AMERICAN ROMANTIC IN IRAN, comes out on May 17 2011 with Broadway Books.
More about Roger Housden...