Start by marking “Death at the Jesus Hospital: A Lord Francis Powerscourt Investigation” as Want to Read:
Death at the Jesus Hospital: A Lord Francis Powerscourt Investigation

Death at the Jesus Hospital: A Lord Francis Powerscourt Investigation (Lord Francis Powerscourt #11)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Three men are found with their throats cut, and all are connected in some way to an ancient City of London livery company, the Silkworkers. Lord Powerscourt has no shortage of suspects or suspicions. The first victim had shadowy links with the Secret Service. The second had wiped fifteen years out of his own past. The third, a man who collected women at church during Chris ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Soho Constable (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Death at the Jesus Hospital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at the Jesus Hospital

LJ
First Sentence: When there is no moon in January the dawn creeps in very slowly like the second hand on a clock that is running slow.

Three men appear to have been murder by their throats slit. What, then, is the odd thistle-like mark on each chest? Each man had a connection to The Silkworkers, an ancient livery company for the City of London. In each case, the victim was paid a visit by the same person shortly before their death. Lord Francis Powerscourt, an ex-intelligence officer, veteran of
Soozee
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an entertaining read. I enjoyed the setting, involving an archaic trade guild and the almhouses and schools endowed by the company. The plot was entertaining and the characters well formed. I look forward to more in the series.
Mysterytribune
David Dickinson, the Irish author of Lord Francis Powerscourt series. With a first-class degree in Classics from Cambridge, he worked in British television (BBC) for many years and was the editor of Newsnight and Panorama as well as Monarchy. He now divides his time between Somerset and France writing his notable historical mysteries. Death at the Jesus Hospital is his latest work released by Soho Press.

A Brief Summary:

Three men are found with their throats cut, and all are connected in some wa
Kate
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysstery
Lord Powerscourt is on the case when three murders occur within a few days of each other, one of an elderly man at an almshouse called the Jesus Hospital, one at a school for boys, and one at the Silkworker's house. All seem tied up with the Silkworker's livery--which, best as I can tell, being an american is a sort of insurance firm which also runs the hospital and the school for boys, or provides insurance for them, or some such thing. Not being up on British financial planning, I really never ...more
Melissa
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Got this book 'cause I thought it was in a hospital but it's actually a home for old men. Detective spends 200 pages on red herring before exploring what I thought he should have been exploring in the first place- and then the author just drops that part of the story line! Also repetitious as he has the detective and police explain the whole story each time to new people instead of just saying that the character explained the situation. Also bad editing/proofreading. Example, husband and wife ar ...more
Mara Grey
The mystery isn't bad but the plot is overwhelmed by the details and the endless delays that drag the pace. I'd call it poor writing, myself. A odor of snobbishness spoils the atmosphere, as if the author truly believes that pre-World War One society really had life figured out properly. Lord Francis' wife is slightly more interesting than the other women in the book but this is one story more oriented toward pleasing men than women, I'd say.
Victoria
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Meh - it was okay. The language was overly descriptive without telling you anything and the plot was only mildly interesting. The author took the easy way out on this "who-done-it" - I won't read any more of his books.
Jan Graham
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books took me by surprise since I usually read blood and guts type books! These are brilliant - Lord Francis and his lovely wife and family. Historical detail is great as well. Highly recommended.

Reading my way through the whole series.
Jane Walker
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This didn't work as a crime story. We are given an obvious connection between the 3 murders and a lot of information in pursuit of that connection. Then we find that it's a different connection entirely which is the answer, and the first is dropped, unresolved. Not the best of this series.
Mary G.
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really well plotted mystery of revenge. Over the years I have always looked forward to reading a Francis Powerscourt mystery. He and his friends are always nice to visit. The other nice thing about this series is the details about the history.
Nancy Ellis
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are always beautifully written and thoroughly enjoyable!
Anne Pritchard
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book Ist one I have read by this author , apparantly it's a series so I shall now have to find the first one !!!
Linda
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very English during the early 1900s. This made it a little hard to understand at first due to the difference in culture. But once I got into the story it was very entertaining.
Betsy
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very procedural.
Charlene
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read. Will probably follow up with the author
S Dizzy
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an unusual story....interesting though.
alice wittwer
Lisa
rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Dickinson was born in Dublin. After receiving a first class honours degree in Classics from Cambridge he joined the BBC where he became editor of Newsnight and Panorama as well as being series editor on Monarchy, a three part programme on the current state and future prospects of the British royal family. David now lives in Barnes, South West London.

Librarian Note: There is more than one aut
More about David Dickinson...

Lord Francis Powerscourt (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • Death and the Jubilee (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #2)
  • Death of an Old Master (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #3)
  • Death of a Chancellor (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #4)
  • Death Called to the Bar (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #5)
  • Death on the Nevskii Prospekt (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #6)
  • Death on the Holy Mountain (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #7)
  • Death of a Pilgrim (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #8)
  • Death of a Wine Merchant (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #9)
  • Death In A Scarlet Coat (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #10)