Start by marking “Relax, You're Going to Die” as Want to Read:
Relax, You're Going to Die

Relax, You're Going to Die

A contemporary and contemplative spiritual exploration of Death, by best selling author, Poet-philosopher, and Zen priest Tai Sheridan, Ph.D. Beneath the surface, many anxieties, worries, and fears are associated with death. 'Relax, You Are Going To Die' is an invitation to examine your relationship with death and your ability to live with grace and dynamic vitality.

The qu
Published January 25th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Relax, You're Going to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relax, You're Going to Die

Start your review of Relax, You're Going to Die
Sherry
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very short but compelling book of poetry and buddhist philosophy. The author's conceit is that all anxiety and fear stems from a fear of death, and since death is inevitable, we need to relax and focus on life. So we all need to get a firm grasp on reality and enjoy ourselves. ...more
☆Pelumi☆ (Going on hiatus because school exists)
Me feeling suicidal: *sees this*

Well, that's strangely comforting😌
Zach
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice poems, good advice, no help

these poems rely largely on a certainty that the cycle of death and rebirth is happening to you, right now, and uses these ideas of reincarnation to put some of our fears of death to bed. This is very nice and all if you believe that you might somehow survive your death (via an eternal soul or reincarnation etc), but does not offer much for those of us who are convinced that death is an absolute end of personal experience. If there is nothing after death, death r
Prince
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good perspective

I thought this would be long and boring, but wrong I was. Short treatise on treating death or thoughts there off as a separation from our short lived and short sighted ego and a return to eternal long living stellar dust, thus freeing us from its mortality and the worrisome thoughts associated with it.
Brian Wilcox
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sheridan shapes profound wisdom in simply-presented prose verse. The verses offer a positive, counter-cultural approach to death, true to Buddha Teaching, accessible to non-Buddhists.

Sheridan invites us to go into the gap between breaths, where we meet directly death-and-life... the in-breath a sign of life, the out-breath of death. Hence, what we call death and life form an indissoluble union, and by embracing death, we live more fully.

The author presents to us how we flee death-and-life by at
Sarah Spelbring
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
If you've been following my reviews of Tai Sheridan, this is the third of his little ebooks, and for once I believe I've read something in order!

Buddha in Blue Jeans tackles the concept of sitting quietly with yourself, followed by Secrets of True Happiness, which I believe if you sit quietly enough you'll start to contemplate what true happiness actually means. Beyond that is the concept of life and death, which is what this book tackles.

In another series of chapter-like poems ( I think I have
Bettie McLeod
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Masterpiece

If there was a higher rating to grant this small taste of beauty and reality, I would grant it. So simple and delicious, I fly into its brief message and found enough yet endless knowledge. Just let go of all the stories and beliefs for a moment, then let go again and again.
Jessica Camacho
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quick and poignant

It is incredibly short which is good for a quick read to set the tone or provide enough inspiration to get you through the day. The prayers and information provided are powerful. There are a few that create pause and reflection.
Denise
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
You don't get out of life alive...Relax, You're Going to Die.

Poems to make you think about life or more to the point, death. Live and let live and die.

Kiahrae
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

Quick read that grounds me every time. I will always re-read this book. It takes me out of my head and puts me into the now!
Centawa
Feb 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
Not what I expected

This was not what I expected. It made no sense to me. Seemed more like a book for children, no details, nothing.
Ashe
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As someone who works quite regularly with death, I really appreciated this collection of reflections. I would highly recommend.
Johanna
Apr 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
A short, cheap read

Reading about accepting death so that I can fully live while waiting to get my first dose of covid vaccine.. oh the irony
Elle
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
It took me two reads of this book before I fully appreciated it. I didn't find it inspirational, more confusing, the first time around and by the second time when I understood it, I have to admit I didn't agree with some points.

Poetic and well written, it had some bad points and good.
Luis  Cordoba
Mar 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Relax you are not going to find a lot about die or live in this poem

this is just that, a zen poem to be, living or continuous die before returning to kids, work and daily lifestyle. nothing where to look about going to die
Gita Sturtevant
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good

Peaceful interesting poetry for the stressed folk of today's world. For dinner . Peace this is done short concise and helpful. Take time give yourself some self love and peace.
Joseph D. Wooten
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quick but insightful

The format takes some getting used to as there are several well needed commas missing that would make for easier readability. Other than that, I really enjoyed the book as a whole. Great insights on the nature of life and death.
Tim France
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Something to think about

Very short , I would have liked to have more to read. I like the wisdom. The English or flow was so so . I wish their was more detail on how to accomplish what was suggested.
Kamron Sammons
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dr. Sheridan poetically and point-fully explores the deep roots of anxiety, stress caused by our underlying fear of death.

Very interesting and quick read. I enjoyed the authors well articulated insights into this deep topic.
Jigar Brahmbhatt
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Existential poems with a touch of zen.
Cor
Aug 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Poetry. All poetry.
Ana Casado
Dec 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
All poems that could have been written by an 8th grader. Nothing really unique or inspiring. Took me about 15 minutes to read it. Save your money
Oge
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Nice little book. Inspiring and poetic.
Anna Dale
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
very interesting spin, especially for those afraid of death,worth a read it really opened my eyes
Gail
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
The title made me laugh. The poems made me think. I didn't agree with everything but the core idea is to live and live fully in the moment. ...more
Michelle Laughran
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Poetic Buddhist Reflection on Mortality

A Poetic Buddhist Reflection on Mortality... Much food for thought and certainly to be read and considered more than once.
Colin Dawson
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, minimalist, zen, inspiring - recommended.
John Hill
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The title alone is worth 4
Rendier
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Strange style, which didn't help to convey the meaning to me... ...more
Yuki
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

The pages were like Buddhist poetry. <3 It brought me back to the Zen mindset that has seemed to evade as of late. I will definitely read it again and again! It isn't a novel, which is perfect for stressful situations. Two thumbs up!!

• One Blade Of Grass: Finding the Old Road of the Heart, a Zen Memoir
  • Talk to Yourself Like a Buddhist: Five Mindful Practices to Silence Negative Self-Talk
  • Executive Actions (Executive #1)
  • Be Love: An Exploration of Our Deepest Desire
  • How to Understand Death (Easwaran Inspirations, #2)
  • The Levinas Reader
  • Les Fleurs du Mal
  • in the absence of the sun
  • เพราะเธอคือเธอ
  • The Museum of Broken Relationships
  • Though flowers fall I have never forgotten you
  • The Housekeeper
  • Rimbaud: Complete Works, Selected Letters, a Bilingual Edition
  • Inspired Philanthropy: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Creating a Giving Plan and Leaving a Legacy
  • Donald Duck's Halloween Scream #1: FCBD 2015 (Disney Specials)
  • Our Dumb World: The Onion's Atlas of the Planet Earth
  • Basic Writings of Nietzsche
  • The Unconsoled

News & Interviews

Looking for some out-of-this-world reading this summer? Then we suggest taking a peek at these highly anticipated young adult books, all...
“When you lessen the hold that your ego has on the full experience of your body, heart, and mind, perhaps, you may glimpse your life as an integral part of the fabric of all of existence. The death of the ego is the birth of true living.” 0 likes
“There is no soft cushion there is only free falling into dying that is now that is forever it can’t be stopped or started because living dying being loving is life itself” 0 likes