Start by marking “The Hidden Treasure of Glaston” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Hidden Treasure of...

Eleanore M. Jewett

The Hidden Treasure of Glaston

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  630 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Amidst great mystery, Hugh is left in the care of Glastonbury Abbey by his father who must flee to England too swiftly to be burdened by a crippled son.

Dicckon struck flint and lit a candle, then led the way into the dark passage. "What is this place?" asked Hugh. A sudden turn and they were in a low stone-lined room, along two sides of which were heavy black oak chests. D
Hardcover, Library Edition, 307 pages
Published 1964 by Viking Press (first published August 30th 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Treasure of Glaston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Treasure of Glaston

Katie
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-for-the-kids
This Newbery winner from 1947 is a hidden gem that the kids and I listened to while driving to/from CA (we finished it at home). It was an exciting tale and grew more interesting as it went along; the kids really enjoyed it and then we were able to look online at the ruins of the real Glastonbury Abby. So cool!
Thomas Bell
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery-honors
So what do you do if you murder the Archbishop of Canterbury, one of the most powerful and influential people in the world? Naturally you flee the country to go protect the Holy Land from the Infidels and abandon your crippled son with a bunch of monks in an Abbey in Wales.

Anyway, this story is about that son and his life for a couple years in the Abbey. Every once in the while it seems that there is a villain, but really this book doesn't have one. Just a life around a bunch of good people, mos
Shera
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of many books we have read that were surprisingly good reads. There is definitely a fair amount of sadness and many trials to endure... but unlike many other books, it has a decent mix of adventure/excitement, triumphs and sorrow.
Sofia Alessandrini
Pretty good for a school book. I found it a bit hard to picture some parts though. Over all decent
Linette
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much to love. Growth, friendship, self-sacrifice.
ErikaWaz Wasielewski
This book was wonderful! It's junior fiction, but it really didn't read like it to me. I bought this to read with the kids, because we were looking for an appropriate knight adventure. When I got the book, I saw it wasn't directly knights, and saw that a lot of the speech in the book was in Old English. So I decided to pre-read it first. And got promptly caught up in the adventure of young Hugh and his time with the monks in Glaston, and his own personal quest for the Holy Grail. I am definitely ...more
Phair
I've kept this book for well over 40 years having purchased it in one of those school book clubs and recall it fondly but have not re-read it in recent memory. I do know that it had a lot of adventure & that it piqued my life-long interest in the King Arthur legends and in the "discovery" of his grave at Glastonbury in the 12thc. Was prompted to dig the book out after reading Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin which features a mystery surrounding this same discovery. Will have to re-read to see ...more
Monica Fastenau
Read the full review here: http://newberyandbeyond.com/mini-newb...

I found this book interesting once I got into it, but it was pretty slow paced at the beginning. In the year 1171, Hugh is left at a monastery when his father has to flee England. Hugh and his new friend Dickon discover some forgotten treasures and think they might be on the path to one of the greatest treasures of all time–the Holy Grail.

Good story, but only for those kids who have the patience to work through the slower-paced w
Moira
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and young teens who like historical/adventure
A wonderful little book. While it is most definitely a YA book, I still thumb through it now and then to remember some of the details of the story. When I first read it I loved the imagery and the excitement of the tale. Now, when I look back on it, I appreciate it for being a well-written and engaging book for young kids, especially those interested in history. (Uncommon these days, but I do happen to know quite a few.)
Gabri Alessandrini
I had to read this book for school but I still enjoyed it. It was a mysterious and religious book. It was so good because of the mystery! It was one of those books that something huge happens at the end of the chapter and it makes up want to read more! You should read this book. I read this book when I was in 8th grade but my younger sis is reading it for-oh wait-shes in 8th grade too, never mind! But this book is good for, I woud say, 8th grade and up.
Rose
Young Hugh de Morville was left in a monastery by his father when the death of Thomas Moore disgraces the family. Hugh, being lame, cannot leave England with his father, but the kindly monks try to make him feel welcomed. Unable to be very active, Hugh tries to make himself useful in the aumbry. As he helps recycle parchment, he starts to find clues to the burial place of Arthur and Guenivere in the ancient pages. But the hunt for Arthur's grave might lead to an even greater treasure.
LeAnne
The writing style is dated (1946). The dialog is stilted and the plot sometimes contrived, but hidden passages and treasure alway appeal. The historical facts of Glastonbury have been rearranged to make the the story more compact. (The tomb of Arthur is found before the fire and he is reinterred by Henry II.) It probably would not have held my attention if I were not committed to Glastonbury as a setting.
Rachel
Set in Glastonbury, England in 1171. A story of life in a monastery complex in the middle ages--we follow Hugh, the book-loving boy left at the monastery by his father, and Dickon, an oblate, as they sort out mysteries in the natural and spiritual worlds. I'm guessing it's fully period, but there's a lot of Catholic superstition--visions, miracles and such are very important to the people, and do seem to happen. Interesting picture of an interesting time period.
Henry
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hidden Treasure of Glaston was a superb book with equal parts Arthurian and holy grail legend. Disgraced by the murder of Thomas á Becket, Hugh’s father sets off for the holy land leaving him in the care of the monks. Hugh and his newfound friend Dickon decide to search for the Holy Grail. I enjoyed this book although it was not one I would normally choose myself.
Brett's Books
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My daughter and I enjoyed reading this semi-historical Arthurian Grail Legend together. THToG involved several different elements together into a satisfying tale: coming of age, redemption, forgiveness, adventure, Arthurian myth, Catholic and English History. On the balance we found this story of "finding" the Holy Grail to be charming, Faith promoting and suitable for the whole family
Emily
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proof that truly good books stand the test of time. This was a discard from my library and the copyright on this edition is 1943. Still, it is a Newbery Honor and its story is as good today as it was in 1943. King Arthur and British history are two of my great loves, and this book with its mystery and awe was a perfect Christmas break read.
Debbie
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
A most excellent book. Geared for kids, probably young readers up to young adults, but thoroughly engrossing and enjoyable for adults as well. A fictional story that interweaves the various legends of Glastonbury Abbey, located in southwest England.
LuAnn
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating, fun Medieval mystery concerning two boys and a hermit searching for the Holy Grail from the tales of King Arthur based on actual legends and events. The murder of Archibishop, Saint Thomas Becket sets the stage.
Carolyn
This adventurous book set in 1184 is filled with good characters, great imagery and mysterious plot development. Some of the medieval church vocabulary had me reaching for my dictionary. Would make a nice read aloud for older boys.
Mckinley
A lot of great things came together for me in this story.
Anna
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was fantastic!
David
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery-books
Somewhat slow in pace when compared to novels of today but a fun adventure nonetheless due to the context of abbey life, historical fact, and Arthurian legends about the quest for the holy grail.
Scott Williams
c3ea0f3b-65ec-4a96-81aa-31f71aca4a2d
Nicholas
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT BOOK
Amy Griffith
Good historical fiction set during Middle Ages at a monastery.
Margaret Metz
Another great historical novel put out by Bethlehem Books. My boys always loved it when I would pick up a new one for them to read. This is one of their favorites.
Katherine
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO AWESOME!!! I NEVER IMAGINED IT WOULD END LIKE THIS!!!!
Amy
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book about the search for the Holy Grail.
Lisa
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Great historical novel for young children set at Glastonbury Abbey during the time of King Henry II of England. It tells of the never-ending search for the wondrous Holy Grail of Christ.
  • Thistle and Thyme: Tales and Legends from Scotland
  • George Washington's World
  • Tree of Freedom
  • The Cow-Tail Switch: And Other West African Stories
  • Hurry Home, Candy
Eleanore Myers Jewett grew up in New York City and loved it, but spent every summer in Cape Ann, Massachusetts, where she was a member of a "summer gang" much like that in Cobbler's Knob. An old sea captain used to take them all out sailing, and she liked best to sit in front of the mast, reveling in the motion of the boat and the long sweep of the blue sea.

After she grew up she taught for four ye
More about Eleanore M. Jewett