Start by marking “The Invitation (Darkness Rising, #1.6)” as Want to Read:
The Invitation (Darkness Rising, #1.6)

The Invitation

(Darkness Rising #1.6)

The second "..of two shorts that went with the enhanced ebook edition of The Gathering."
"Huge spoilers for The Gathering in this one, so please only read if you’re done the book!"

K. Armstrong

Can be found and read here. http://www.darkestpowers.com/the-invi...
ebook, No longer available, 9 pages
Published March 30th 2012 by Kelley Armstrong

To ask other readers questions about The Invitation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invitation

Crystal Starr Light
Aug 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Bullet Review:

In what universe was this ever necessary? Even though it's free, it STILL feels like a cheap marketing gimmick to milk the cash cow that is this franchise.

Rafe goes to Maya's birthday party. That's it! That's all that this is! It's more "I need to find McGuffin to heal my poor, weakened sister" that we got plenty of in "The Gathering". Only this time, instead of being in Maya's head (which isn't that bad of a place to be when she's not mooning over Lover Boy), we get to be inside t
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this, it was interesting to get inside Rafe's head for a change and see what he was thinking during this scene and how it felt about Maya at the time.
Veronika
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I loved this scene in the first book so it was great to read it from Rafe's pov!
Pang
*Eeeeeeep* Loved it! Loved it! Loved it as hell! Rafe!!!!! tell her you truly have feeling for her. OKay! TELL HER!!! then I will kick your butt! Seriously! I love U. I love U. OKay! XD

I want Rafe and Maya together!!! OKay!!!! They should be together! I'M SERIOUS!!! I gotta read Book 1 again, but I have no time to read Book 2. Damn it! Damn it to HELL!!! *Sqeeeezzz*

I know you are NOT Jerk!!! RAFEEEEE!!!!! I know you was misunderstood!! You're very good boy!! I know you did it for helping Annie!!
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-kobo, own, to-sort
Scarlet
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story written from Rafe's point of view, and I love Rafe, so...5 stars!
Bronwyn
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Full review at https://bronzelock619.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-invitation-darkness-rising-16.html.

This story is from Rafe's point-of-view, starting right before he went to the party until before he and Maya had their climbing competition. It was mostly Rafe contemplating whether Maya was "the girl", and if he should go to her party. I personally felt this story is mostly unnecessary, and there is not much new to learn other than showcase how annoying it was the way Rafe looks at girls like they,
keikii Eats Books
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
54 points/100 (2.75 stars/5).

It is Maya's birthday party, and Rafael gets invited.

This is a short story that is a scene within the first book, the Gathering, told by another character's perspective. There really, really isn't anything in this short story that is new. I'm honestly not even certain why this was written. If you like seeing a relatively innocuous scene told from another character's perspective, have at it.
Jessica Smith
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Kelley Armstrong's writing, I have since I first read her Otherworld series. This was super short, and I did enjoy it, revisiting this world as I read this series a long while ago. It was nice to see the situation from Rafe's point of view and it was obviously a fun little thing for Kelley to explore how Rafe was feeling about it all.
Alison Beechner
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella
This one was much better. It was a Rafe POV, so it actually added to the story and explained where he was coming from.
April
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Super short, but nice. Interesting to see Rafe's point of view.
Amee
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Story about Rafe's side of the invite to the party
Kenneth Flusche
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rough Draft?, Early Version? Doesn't solve the Cliff=Hanger of the Gathering so still ugg
Jenn
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, e-book
***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***

Rafe’s been invited to the birthday part of the one girl who truly interests him in the little town he now calls home – Maya Delaney. But did she invite him because she wanted him there or just to be nice? And does it really matter since no matter what he wants, he needs to find the other skinwalker and save Annie. Is Maya the skinwalker and if so does he really want her to be?

So the story is like eight pages long on my nook hence what can I really say
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, novellas

3.5/5

I have to say that I enjoyed reading from Rafe's POV. It gave good insight to how he viewed Maya when he first came to Salmon Creek!
It was interesting to get his take on that particular scene, to know what he was thinking. Also, to see how he felt and what he thought when he saw Maya and Daniel together. (view spoiler)

We also got a little snippet of what it's like to live w
Elizabeth
May 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
i liked this one a little better than the other, as it gave us a different pov on a scene from the book. a little insight into the mind of rafe....

this one is also not necessary to read, but i liked it and would say that if you were to read only one of the bonus shorts for the Gathering, i'd pick this one....

not sure why she has a disclaimer that it contains a big spoiler, i didn't think so, unless you consider the fact that (view spoiler) whi
Darlene
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This novella can be read online for free at Kelley Armstrong's blog.

In this short story, Rafe Martinez has been invited to Maya's birthday party. It was interesting to read this from Rafe's point of view, and he comes across as much more vulnerable. I especially liked seeing his interaction with his, sister, Annie. It is evident how much he cares about her. He earns some brownie points for sure, and he is much more likeable to me now.

If you enjoyed The Gathering, I would recommend that you read
Alela
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great short story revealing more of Rafe's character. I really liked his perspective on Maya, Daniel and others (I admit his feelings and misgivings about Maya gave me a thrill). His concerns for his sister were obvious from "The Gathering", but still "The Invitation" explained more fully his motives and reasoning, though you can't argue that no matter how good the motives, he still knowingly chose to deceive Maya in the end.
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Do not read unless you've read The Gathering.

I loved The Gathering. It's very interesting to go back (for me a year later) and get this bonus story.

The invitation is about Maya's 16th birthday party. It is from Rafe's point of view. And we get to know what he was really feeling and thinking when Maya invited him to her party. It's a lot of stuff that we were totally unaware of. Great to see his POV.
Shelley
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Rafe's point of view - Maya's invitation to her birthday party and his attendance, and why he needed to find Maya in the first place in order to help his sister Annie. The story is part of the Gathering, so, if you haven't read the Gathering, you will probably not understand what is happening and why.

Nikki
The Invitation is another short story involving The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong. This particular short story is a scene (plus a bit more) that is in the original book but told in Rafe's POV rather than Maya's. It was enjoyable to see things from Rafe's POV and made me look forward to reading the second in the series all the more.
Chester Carstairs
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-extras
I never really warmed to Rafe. Not until the The Calling anyway. So it's nice to read this in his POV. Though it would have been better if the race and roof (I'm not sure if I got the place right cause it's been a while since I read The Gathering but you probably know what I'm talking about) scenes were included. I'd pay to know what's going on his mind when all that and after happened.
Erica Chilson
Rafe's point of view- Maya's invitation to her birthday party and his attendance.

So very sad seeing how he felt about his sister, Annie. I almost shed a tear during the very short scene. He just wants his sister back. AH!
Kristen
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stars-2
The Invitation, is a bonus short story from The Gathering. I thought since I didn't like The Gathering that much. maybe this short story would revive the series for me. Nope! It's just a short clip that really doesn't add anything of worth to the series as a whole.
Catalina Sennett
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty good. We get to see Rafe's POV. And Annie! I loooove Annie.
Susan
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, collected
Was included ONLY in the e-book "expanded" The Gathering
gremlin
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
A short look at the beginning part of Maya's 16th birthday party, from Rafe's POV.
Elevetha
Stupid Rafe. I really hate him. I feel sorry for Annie, of course, but Rafe? Nope.
Kelly
Another super short - the invitation to Maya's birthday party from Rafe's perspective. Loved it!

• Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead (Otherworld Stories #10.1)
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Bloodhound (Cinderella, #1)
  • The Bitten Word
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Crow Memory (The Blood Journals, #1.5)
  • Ascendance Trilogy: The False Prince, The Runaway King, The Shadow Throne
  • Campus Chills
  • Shattered (Shade, #3.5)
  • Catspaw (Blackheart #1)
  • Dying for It: Tales of Sex and Death
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2
  • Secrets of the Time Society  (Timeless, #1.5)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • Arriane's Day Out (Fallen Shorts, #0.5)

Darkness Rising (3 books)
  • The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)
  • The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2)
  • The Rising (Darkness Rising, #3)
“So did I hear right?” he said. “Race to the top? Winner gets a kiss?”
“Maya’s done seven climbs in a row,” Daniel said. “You can race me.”
“But I don’t want to kiss you.”
Everyone laughed. Everyone except Daniel.”
0 likes