Start by marking “Stephen King: Three Novels” as Want to Read:
Stephen King: Three Novels

Stephen King: Three Novels

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  11,183 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
One of the best-selling authors of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, Stephen King has made a career out of thrilling readers with his dark and disturbing masterpieces of the macabre. Stephen King: Three Novels brings together King's first three published novels for a trilogy of terror unparalleled in modern fiction.

Carrie is the story of Carrie White, an outcast an
Published January 6th 2012 by Sterling (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Stephen King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stephen King

Carol
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
'SALEM'S LOT

"They only come out at night."

After waiting so long to read this work of horror, I was a little worried that SALEM'S LOT would not live up to my expectations, but was I ever wrong! Once again, as is the norm with Stephen King, there's more here than just creatures of night; there's also a creepy good storyline, some very colorful characters, and a small backwoods town with a dark and evil history.

After you meet the tall man and the quick-witted boy with dark eyes.....and the rest o

Caidyn (BW Book Reviews)
Almost a year to read this thing, and only one of the books was one I hadn't read before! This is what I get for trying to read a huge book in the middle of the school year. Takes me ages to actually get through it.

Carrie: 4.5/5 - I love this book. I really, really do. It's my favorite of King's novels all because it opens up a new side to things each time I read it. Even with the TK in it, I still think it's primarily about a girl who just had all the wrong things happen to her in life with bul
Phoebe
This voluminous hardcover includes Stephen King’s first three novels:
-Carrie (1974)
-’Salem’s Lot (1975)
-The Shining (1977)
Each one just really a masterpiece and treat to read for itself!

In Carrie you are thrown into the world of a teenage girl that has, on top of having a very powerful ability to learn to handle, a more than a bit crazy mother and really tough days in school. What happens when shit hit the fans is simple chaos and destruction. An intense and mind-boggling journey the reader is
Shaun
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
A solid investment for someone wanting to sample some of King's earlier novels.

Carrie: 4 stars

'Salems Lot: 3 stars

The Shining: 4 stars

The Shining was definitely my favorite of the three, though all represent what I have come to think of as Classic King.

Daniella
Feb 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans with some time to kill.
I didn't get a chance to finish reading this book before I had to take it back to the library, and considering the fact that it's been languishing on my Currently Reading list since--what, 2008? 2009? Something like that. At any rate, I doubt I'll bother to check it out again so I can finish it. So my rating here is based on the parts of the book that I did finish, which were Carrie and Salems' Lot.

Carrie gets two stars from me. It's an interesting enough little story that I feel is largely alle
Emma
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have already finished Carrie, which I found to be an astounding novel! Simple, but packs a punch. You turn all sorts of corners, and venture into places you never thought you'd ever have the nerve to go to. It also exposes the very real creulty that High Schoolers face every day, and how even the person who wishes to reach out a hand of kindness can be persecuted for things assumed of them. Incredible read. If you're just dipping your toe into the world of Horror, this is definitly a perfect n ...more
Cora
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second time reading this. It's been 15 years since the first time I declared this as my favorite book ever and now I remember why.
Yamilette Rodriguez
It was my first King novels and I fell in love with his work. Carrie was so intriguing and fascinating to me, it was a great start. Salem's Lot and The Shining are such good novels, I couldn't put it down.Plus, the book cover is so beautiful.
Meghan
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Carrie : I knew the basics about Carrie from what I've heard of the movie. I have not watched the film yet; I wanted to read the novel first. When I began reading Carrie, it had sentences in brackets to explain what was going through Carrie's (and other characters') minds. These "thought" sentences were the only parts of the book that took me a while to get used to. To say that Carrie frightened me was an understatement. In the most straightforward sense, Carrie is quite relatable. The novel de ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Ok. I do not own this book and am not really reading this book too.

The thing is goodreads still does not allow us to have 2 different copies of the same book on our GR shelves. Or for that matter when you re read a book and participating in the reading challenge and you re read a book the book will not count as read. You have to delete the first time info that you'd read it and then it counts.This is very annoying.

I have a few books where I have more than 1 copy. For instance Stephen King. I hav
Emmanuelle
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans
Meh... I love Stephen King books. However, I'm glad I didn't read them back in the 70s (not that I could have), or as my first Stephen King books because I don't think I'd have read more books from him. I know it's his first 3 novels, I'm well aware of that, but, I thought they were simple, not as complete, definately not as scary/bonechilling as some of his later books.

It took me a while to finish this book because I had to take break from the stories. They kind of felt like a chore at times. I
♥Xeni♥
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are three of my most favorite books from King.

Carrie is, of course, the craziest thing ever. And I think every girl ought to read this book, just so that they know that whatever they went through during puberty can not ever be as bad as what Carrie went through. I love the mental powers side-effect of this book too, though!

Salem's Lot was freaky. Really really freaky. I still have "nightmares" about it.

And last of all, the Shinning: this book has always reminded me of that Eagles song, H
Linda Munro
It has been a long time since I have read Stephen King's older books, so I decided it was time to start over....

Since I read these books upon their release (which was some time ago) I noticed that the intensity with which King has come to be known to write with seems to be missing. There was also another factor in my decision to rate these works at a lower level then I would have rated them at the time of their release....the movie adaptation. Over the years I have forgotten the actual story as
Edward Davies
CARRIE
With a first half that does nothing more than build up to a 100 plus page climax, this is a fantastic first effort that only hints at King's ability to stretch out a tale to its limit and beyond.

'SALEM'S LOT
The updated vampire mythology found in this book is so much better than anything that has come since. Sticking as faithfully as possible to the Dracula mythos, King manages to create a similar world with far more interesting characters and a much darker tone.

THE SHINING
So much better th
Poo1987 Roykaew
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First three novels King has been written for thirty years become as classics in horror genre. I like his style that is looking insight his characters' mind and describing his view of scenes as if represnting a painting. Which novel I like most, in this edition, is Salem's Lot, an adventure story of one man and one boy who attempt to rescue from the shadow of dark master, an old vampire who appears as an businessman buying a big mansion on the hill and changing it into his own 'command center'. S ...more
Cheryl Wedesweiler
I am reviewing one book of the series: THE SHINING

The Overlook Hotel has been a famous resort for over seventy years- and has a history of both good and bad. It is closed for tourists during the winter months, and a caretaker is required to oversee the boiler/heater. Jack Torrance and his family, wife Wendy and son Danny, go there to live in the isolation of the snow, closed off from the outside world by winter’s wrath. The hotel comes alive with its evil past and tries to draw in the Torrance f
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read all the books in the omnibus, but this last one "the shining" is the one I'm reviewing. I've been a fan of the film (both versions) for years, and being a huge King fan, it was sacrilegious that I hadn't read this book. Its wonderful! It's so different from Kubrick's film, that I totally understand why King didn't like it, and chose to re-make it himself in the 90s. There were scenes in the book that literally gave me shivers, and scenes from the movie (that aren't in the book) that ha ...more
Kayla
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what rating to give this, since I only loved one of the books. The Shining was by far the best one out of the three. The other two were kind of forgettable, which I thought was odd. A Stephen King novel forgettable? What?
Yeah, it's true. Carrie was interesting enough to get me to finish it, but not enough for me to want to read it again.
'Salem's Lot was...bland. I started reading it with so much excitement, since at the time, I was obsessed with vampires. But I found myself reading
Michael Collins
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carrie and The Shining are classics and are two of my favorite Stephan King books, I could not get into Salem`s lot unfortunately. I feel that Stephan King tried to hard to make it sound like Bram Stokers Dracula. There just wasn't enough to scare me in it besides an entire neighborhood being destroyed by vampires (spoilers). Still all 3 books are a great read and the shining is one of my all time favorites been needing to read it again!! ...more
D
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great novel for those readers who are sick of the shiny-happy vampires who have taken over, one diamond-studded hottie at a time! (Seriously, in sunlight, Twi-vamps shine like diamonds? C'mmon!) King, way before Twilight, decided to diverge from the gentlemanly count who woos then drinks, to a much fiercer vampire--the kind that rip your throat out, just after they wake you from a deep sleep. Muwuuhahahaha! This is a delicious guilty-pleasure book! (Pun intended.)
Siobhan
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, King is a bit of a mix bag as an author. You will either receive something truly wonderful or you will hate the entire experience – somehow, he even manages those between stages.

With this collection, however, we’re given some of his best work. Salem’s Lot. Carrie. The Shining. Three books King is well known for. Three books I thoroughly enjoyed. If you’re going to buy a King collection you cannot go wrong with this one.
Vee James
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended for readers who have decided to read King for the first time (there are so few of you) or ones who want to finally read the real version of what was put on the screen. There are significant and important differences in the story King told and what moviegoers eventually saw. Of course, Stephen King fans will want to have a copy (or another copy) in their library of horror masterworks.
April
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King: Three Complete Novels: Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining
Stephen King
2002 Edition

I read Carrie a few years ago and read the other two recently. 'Salem's Lot was the scariest of the three, to me, and The Shining was pretty different from what I knew of the movies. Very good reads. As always, King is a master at creating sympathetic characters.

4 stars.
Rob
Jul 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read Carrie a long time ago - exellent read.
Read Salems' Lot awhile ago - also pretty excellent.
Currently reading The Shining - so far excellent to somewhat excellent.

Picked up this book at border's for 5 bucks or so. Definitly got my money's worth.

I also feel I have a future as a book critic as shown in this current review.
Dean Olson
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
CARRIE is a fantastic debut for a writer that would become a household name. SALEMS LOT was a decent follow up but didn't have the same edge. THE SHINING was a masterpiece.

five stars for the first and last while the middle gets three.
Hannah
Jan 29, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Kerry
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have read this book over and over again. Loved it the first time loved it the tenth. Its a ghost story with out all the supernatural stuff that others use. Well written and grabs you straight away. You can almost imagine being in the big house all alone and the corseway blocked.
Richart Drake Lewis
Salem's Lot was the first of many King books I read and still the best of them all. I just wish they would actually do the book as a movie rather than what they've already done (which by the way were good).
Patricia Carpenter
I don't really like Stephen King bc of the violence. I read this title bc I thought I already knew so....? Even for King, I just don't like that level of violence. Actually wrote this last year, I guess I didn't share properly.
Lisa
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three favorites in one, this is a King fan's dream! I don't know how many paperback versions of these I've gone through over the years, but this makes re-re-re-devouring these classics so much easier!
Stephen King Fans: 1970s Stephen King 9 39 Jun 04, 2014 03:38PM
  • Damien: Omen II
  • Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Anne Rice)
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • The Howling
  • Jurassic World: Jurassic Park / The Lost World
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • Classic American Short Stories
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
  • Halloween
  • Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show, Volume 2
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • The Wolfen
  • The Sentinel
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Aesop's Illustrated Fables
  • H.P. Lovecraft:  The Complete Fiction
  • Audrey Rose
More about Stephen King...