Start by marking “Valentina” as Want to Read:
Valentina

Valentina

2.62  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Much of the world is burning or flooded. The temperate zones are still habitable - and one small island is teeming with climate refugees. Life in the Badlands is dangerous, disease-ridden, violent and controlled by gangsters and terrorists.

But Valentina lives high in the privileged Citadel, at the heart of the heavily protected Green Zone. She is the president's daughter,
Published 2012 by Little Island

To ask other readers questions about Valentina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valentina

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18)
From the sky, it was impossible to tell who was legal and who was illegal and where one zone finished and the next began. OK, that might seem like a trite and sentimental observation worthy of one of John's disciples to be followed by a hippy hymn, but tell me I'm wrong, if you can."
I liked it for the most part. Valentina reminded me of a dystopian version of Sophie FitzOsborne in A Brief History of Montmaray but occasionally a bit childish with unfortunate echoes of Marguerite's cliched sarca
Dalbro
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Det meste af kloden er oversvømmet eller udtørret. På en ø, som er undsluppet de værste naturkatastrofer, bor Valentina i Fortet - en stærkt bevogtet lille del af øen, forbeholdt de rige og priviligerede. Valentina er præsidentens datter; beskyttet, forkælet, arrogant.

Provokeret af sine venner, den norske klimaflygtning Pippa og den temperamentsfulde Damien, indvilliger hun i at tage på en hemmelig tur til Ødemarken uden for Fortet. Det bliver en livsfarlig tur ikke alle vender hjem fra.

Valentin
Eimear
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Here's a link to my blog, An Abundance of Novels , for more reviews.

Valentina is a dystopian YA novel set on the island of Ireland, way in the future. It follows the absolutely mad escapades of Valentina , fourteen year old daughter of the president of the State of Free Citizens, as she leaves the safe haven of the Citadel, and travels to the badlands. If that isn’t enough to get you hooked I don’t know what is? To be honest, the main reason I picked this book is because it was written by an I
Iona
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
I really wanted to like this book. I really, really did. The concept was interesting and the cover is pretty cool but it is just… How do I explain this book? Poorly written would be one way except I’m pretty sure the author, who is well educated in the English language and art of writing, is a good writer.

Maybe then it is the age range the book is targeted for. It feels like it was definitely aiming for the younger end of young adult. The end of young adult that’s not really adult at all. See t
Lisa (ohthenargles)
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was ok

Valentina is the president's daughter living in the Citadel with the high and mighty families of the island. The island is the only place in the world still habitable for humans and it is divided up into three zones: the Green Zone, the Amber Zone and the Red Zone also called the Badlands. The people in the Amber and Red zones are mostly refugees, terrorist and antiterrorist groups fighting each other. The government in the Citadel only controls the people living inside the Green Zones,
The Basic Bookworm
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
The full review is available on The Basic Bookworm

Valentina by Kevin McDermott is a young adult fiction novel that incorporates dystopian themes with adventure and humour. I have been eyeing this book on Book Depository for so long, and I recently gave in and purchased it. I was drawn in by the description, as I love dystopian novels. Unfortunately, the novel didn’t live up to my expectations, and I’ll explain why shortly.

Humour made an appearance numerous times in the book, in the forms of sarc
Bethany Perkins
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really hated this book at the start, how Valentina was so spoilt and such an unlikable character. But as the story went on i couldnt put it down. Not written very well but an excellent concept and storyline.
Josie