Start by marking “To Whisper Her Name (Belle Meade Plantation, #1)” as Want to Read:
To Whisper Her Name (Belle Meade Plantation, #1)

To Whisper Her Name

(Belle Meade Plantation #1)

Set at Nashville's historic Belle Meade Plantation, the most influential thoroughbred stud farm in America's history, To Whisper Her Name weaves the struggles of real people of the post-war South with the journeys of a man and a woman scarred by betrayal.

Olivia Aberdeen, destitute widow of a man shot as a traitor to the South, is shunned by proper society and gratefully ac
Published October 16th 2012 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about To Whisper Her Name, please sign up.

Norma * Traveling Sister
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just thought I would add a little background on why I read this particular book.

While on vacation a couple of years ago in Nashville my husband and I went for a tour of the Belle Meade Plantation and I was totally intrigued with the history behind this plantation so I picked up TO WHISPER HER NAME in the gift shop. While I was paying for my purchases I was told that TAMERA ALEXANDER was actually there right now doing a book talk. I found myself a little bit excited just knowing she was there at
Tweety
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who enjoy civil war historical fiction
What I love about this book is the characters, they each have their own personality, none of them feel like paper cut outs. Though Within My Heart is still my favorite, this one does come close.

What I love about Tamera's writing is that she lets you get right inside the characters, you feel their every emotion.

There's something magical about how Olivia learns to forgive the north, forget her husband and move past her paralysing fear of horses, which is fortunate, since Mrs. Olivia is now livi
✨ Gramy ✨
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio version of this story on Hoopla, which was just over 17 hours long, accessed through the public library system. The narrator was Tavia Gilbert, who sounds different than the majority of the narrators I've heard. Yet, I found her rendition interesting with noteworthy tones, accents, and inflection.

This historical fiction based story focused on the depiction of the struggles and culture set-in the post-civil war era, which was a very turbulent time in the South's history,
Hannah
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! I read it more slowly than usual, yet still finished it in one day...perks of being at the car dealership for 4.5 hours and then staying up a couple hours too late for "one more chapter".
I enjoyed so much of it that it's difficult to review. I loved Uncle Bob, and the horses added so much to the story.
For critique, two things jumped out at me. First, her wearing a bustle and a hoop. Ummm, a little ahead of time...and it felt really weird that it would fall off easily anyway
Staci
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Tamera Alexander weaves history and fiction so beautifully. To Whisper Her Name takes the history of Belle Meade just after the end of the Civil War and adds in believable characters. There were many fascinating details about the workings of a horse farm.

This novel is highly recommended for fans of historical fiction. I look forward to reading the next novel in this series.
Jane
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Where I got the book: review copy provided by the publisher. This review first appeared on the Historical Novel Society's website and in the Historical Novel Review, issue 63.

Alexander’s latest romance is set on the Belle Meade stud farm near Nashville just after the end of the Civil War. Ridley Cooper comes to the plantation to learn horsemanship before heading out to the Rockies to start his own farm; he conceals the fact that, although a Southerner, he fought on the Union side against slavery
Lori
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding! When I pick up a book from Tamera Alexander, I always know that I will be in for an enjoyable experience and this one truly delivered! She is a gifted storyteller and has the ability to make the reader feel like they have been transported to another time. Having visited Belle Meade in the past, I don’t think she could have picked a better setting, and she did a beautiful job with the vivid descriptions.

As far as the characters, I loved Ridley and Olivia. I was entertained by their p
Casey
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed all of the author’s previous titles, especially her Colorado historicals, but I have to say, this latest Southern antebellum novel in “To Whisper Her Name” evoked a love for southern fiction I didn’t know I possessed.

The novel is rich and to be savored. I read the story slowly, not because it didn’t thoroughly capture my attention, but only because it didn’t feel right to blaze through for the sake of simply reading. I fell in love with the characters as they fell in love with eac
Beth
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth by: Christian Fiction Devourers
I'm going to be honest--I had no idea that I would end up LOVING this book. But love it, I did. The setting, the plot, the romance, everything flowed and worked so well together. I felt as if I walked up the long drive of Belle Meade plantation and didn't leave until the story ended.

Each of the characters were so well crafted, and though Alexander could have easily relied on "stock" characters, she did no such thing. They all had their foibles and frailties, their secret sorrows and triumphs. Ol
Shannon
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a book I didn't want to end! Why did it have to end?! This has definitely been one of my favorite books I've read this year. It was so rich and beautifully written. I loved the historical setting of the South post-Civil War, all the descriptions of Belle Meade Plantation with its thoroughbred stud farm, and all the wonderful characters that graced this story. Loved it all!
Amanda Geaney (Christian Shelf-Esteem)
I have a growing fondness for books written by Tamera Alexander. While they tend to be long, she manages to hold my attention the whole way through. In both the books I've read, I've really enjoyed her spirited female protagonists. I also admire the way her minor characters enrich these stories.

To Win Her Favor will be my next audiobook indulgence. {Tavia Gilbert is my favorite narrator!}
Rachel
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This was the first of the Belle Meade series, which are meant to be read alongside the author's Belmont series. Anyhow, as was the case with the first two books of her Belmont series, I really loved this historical novel. It was a complex, sweet story, and I enjoyed the characters. I look forward to reading more of this series, and I can honestly say that Tamera Alexander has become one of my favorite authors of historical fiction.
Alicia
A riveting read set in the first couple of years after the Civil War. I loved the thoroughbred theme and the author gave a lot of depth to the main characters. Also, my heart completely melted during the last couple of pages. Such a perfect ending!

April Jones
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tamera Alexander is a gifted author. Her writing style is distinct. I will probably give myself a little more time between her novels next time, so two unrelated novels don't run together. She does such a fantastic job of creating realistic, well-developed characters in a unique, detailed setting. I also appreciate her trying to stay historically accurate. And while she is a Christian author, the romance is not lacking in her stories. There is nothing cheesy about them.

And this particular novel
ضحى الحداد
I can't exactly say it is a Christian Fiction but it does hold all the elements for it, I liked the book very much, the relationships and the friendships are so cute specially the servants
there are so many cute moments between Olivia and Ridley and I liked how their relationship developed in a slow burn manner that made me root for the two all the way
The ending wasn't to my liking .. it is happy but I don'e know why I felt underwhelmed, but overall it was an enjoyable read .. I will continue wi
Arlena

Author: Tamera Alexander
Published by: Zondervan
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 4
Review:

"To Whisper Her Name" by Tamera Alexander was a wonderful historical christian romantic long read that has it all. This setting was from 'Belle Meade Plantation' in Nashville, TN. (1866) following the Civil War where you will find "Southerners who fought on the side of the South, the women who were left behind to defend their homes, a Southerner who aligned himself wi
Abbi
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is sad how long it took me to read this book! I loved the first book of the Belmont Mansion series and could not wait for this book to release. But then it took me a bit to get a copy and review books kept getting in the way but I finally found the opportunity to read it when my copy of the second book in the series arrived. Thankfully I'm able to report that this book was worth the wait and I loved it! I absolutely love all of the research that this author does and it really shines through i ...more
Koki
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: srdcovky, zas-a-znova
Tento román patrí k jedným z najlepších, aké som za posledné roky čítala. Som uchvátená, očarená, unesená, fascinovaná...

Autorka v románe zachytáva povojnové obdobie, kedy bolo zrušené otroctvo. Je vidieť, že ľudia na Juhu sa s tým nezmierovali ľahko a černosi stále ostávali diskriminovaní. Tamera to krásne zobrazila napríklad v tom, že mali nižšie mzdy ako belosi a tiež im nedovolili študovať. Nechávali ich negramotných, aby nevedeli čítať, písať, počítať.

Boli však aj ľudia, ktorí s nimi cítil
Sharon Mariampillai
This was a great read. The story was great and had light Christian themes implemented in the story which was more enjoyable for me. I really enjoyed the story though despite how long the book was. Also, the characters were well-written. I really liked Olivia's character as she tries new things. Also, I really liked Ridley. He never gave up on Olivia. The ending was great. I can't wait for the rest of the series. Overall, an enjoyable read.
Kym McNabney
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I am at awe of TAMERA ALEXANDER'S writing. Don't let the number of pages intimidate you. TO WHISPER HER NAME will take you on a journey. One you will never want to end, with exquisite writing, an amazing storyline, and three-dimensional characters, both in the main as well as the secondary characters. It is packed full of great lines that won’t disappoint.

With nowhere to go, and her reputation ruined by her late husband, Olivia Aberdeen arrives at Belle Meade Plantation as a guest o
Emilee
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book so much more than I thought I would. It was a wonderful historical romance! I don't always like this time-setting, post-Civil War in the South, but it really opened my eyes and I loved it!
Julka Ďurčeková
5/5*
2.5 stars.

This was an encouraging story of how God can redeem any situation. I enjoyed the dual povs, the full scope of the story, the utter lack of ow/om drama, and the slow burn romance. I appreciated how clean it was and how uplifting the story was. I also enjoyed the historical aspect of this story. The society in the South post-Civil War, the differing attitudes toward freedmen, and the stud farm atmosphere were compelling and engaging to read.

And yet I didn't find that I enjoyed this ov
Jenny
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this author and the ease of which you can be pulled in to her stories. This book makes me want to visit Belle Meade plantation. I can always stand behind a storyline of a character daring to go against the cultural norm and stand against slavery during the civil war while also loving the heritage of their southern roots. And I love horses, so that was just an added bonus.
Victor Gentile
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tamera Alexander in her new book, “To Whisper Her Name” Book One in the Belle Meade Plantation series published by Zondervan brings us into the life of Olivia Aberdeen in 1866 Nashville.

From the Back Cover: Set at Nashville’s historic Belle Meade Plantation, the most influential thoroughbred stud farm in America’s history, To Whisper Her Name weaves the struggles of real people of the post-war South with the journeys of a man and a woman scarred by betrayal.

Olivia Aberdeen, destitute widow of a
Mackenzie Carol
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To Whisper Her Name is the first book in Tamera Alexander’s Belle Meade Plantation series, but isn’t the first book I have ever read by her. I read her Belmont Mansion series awhile back and absolutely loved it, so I knew I would have to read more of her books in the future. Since she doesn’t have anything else new coming out until January, I thought I would start with this series while I waited, and I’m so very glad I did. I absolutely love Tamera’s Southern historicals, and if she wasn’t alrea ...more
Linda
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. The wait for this book has been excruciating, but it was absolutely worth it. To Whisper Her Name sets the bar for historical romance. Once again, Tamera Alexander has created a masterful saga that swept me away, this time to Belle Meade plantation. I adored Ridley Cooper and Olivia Aberdeen. Their individual stories are captivating and heart-wrenching; their relationship is superbly depicted. I loved their clashes and snarky verbal sparring just as much as the tender moments that made m ...more
Lisa
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
* After a weekend with Tamera Alexander which included a visit to Belle Meade, I read this wonderful story a 4th time. And I love it even more.

** Now that I am moving to Nashville, I decided to revisit one of my favorite books which just happens to be set in that city. I think I loved it even more a third time around! And I am looking forward to revisiting Belle Meade Plantation as well. I never did read another Tamera Alexander book, so I am correcting that without delay! **

I really loved this
ASC Book Reviews
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow! That is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about this book. "To Whisper Her Name" has been such a contradiction for me. It felt at times that it would never end, and yet, I found a part of me didn't want it to. Filled with the true South, it reminded me of Gone with the Wind and the Daughters of Twin Oaks series, but with it's own legs to stand on. Filled with characters that steal your heart, are complete scalawags, anger you, and one that leaves you not knowing how you feel ...more
Nancy Kimball
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 21, 2014 03:55PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 02:46PM
Translation into Spanish, why not? 1 1 Jul 01, 2014 07:08PM
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • Sweeter Than Birdsong (Saddler's Legacy, #2)
  • Into the Whirlwind
  • A Heart Revealed (Winds of Change, #2)
  • The Doctor's Lady
  • Glamorous Illusions (Grand Tour, #1)
  • The Messenger
  • Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise, #1)
  • Blue Skies Tomorrow (Wings of Glory, #3)
  • Widow of Gettysburg (Heroines Behind the Lines, #2)
Tamera Alexander is a USA Today bestselling author and one of today's most popular writers in the inspirational historical fiction genre. She and her husband live in Nashville, Tennessee, not far from the Southern mansions that serve as the backdrop for six of her award-winning novels.

Belle Meade Plantation (3 books)
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation, #2)
  • To Wager Her Heart (Belle Meade Plantation, #3)
“I learned long ago, Livvy, that a wife must love her husband's dreams as much as she loves him. Because the two are inseparable. If a wife can't embrace the desires of her husband's heart, he will never become the man he could have been, if only she had.” 11 likes
“Settled on the carriage seat, Olivia drew in a deep breath, the first in what felt like five years. she knew it was wrong, what she was feeling. Because of widow of only a week shouldn't wish to dance a jig. But God help her, that's precisely what part of her wanted to do. Not on the grave of her recently deceased husband, of course-that would be considered rude. Just off to the side would suffice.” 5 likes