Start by marking “Learning to Bake Allergen-Free” as Want to Read:
Learning to Bake Allergen-Free

Learning to Bake Allergen-Free

An essential guide to delicious baking for multiple food allergies—with over 75 recipes that take the whole family from breakfast through dinner

As more and more parents are discovering, the instant a child is diagnosed with severe or multiple allergies, food can’t be taken for granted anymore. Shopping turns into a frustrating hunt through ingredient lists, and every schoo
Published June 5th 2012 by The Experiment

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Bake Allergen-Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Bake Allergen-Free

Start your review of Learning to Bake Allergen-Free
Punk
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The subtitle: A Crash Course for Busy Parents on Baking Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy or Nuts.

For busy parents? Like, dude, expand your worldview. There's no reason to limit your audience just because of your personal experience. This is a cookbook, not therapy.

So there's a heavy mom-vibe. Still, I like how Martin is very aware that just because her family can eat coconut or corn or whatever doesn't mean the reader can, and she'll usually suggest an alternative.

The opening section on
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm no stranger when it comes to food allergies - I'm not only a nutritionist concentrating in special dietary needs like celiac and allergies, but I'm also someone who has problems eating everyday foods (not the least being dairy, eggs, and nuts). For me, and most of the people I speak with, finding safe food can become a chore that isn't always a tasty one. The most significant challenges are generally when finding or making baked goods without gluten - that don't taste like cardboard. Colette ...more
Alina Vincent
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Learning to bake allergen-free by Colette Martin : I won this book from firstreads on this site goodreads. I was very happy I won this because my niece has a gluten allergy and cannot have a lot of things, and this book is a godsend for her. These recipes are amazing I can hardly believe they are allergen free! So I recommend this to anyone who struggles with having such allergies that prevent them from being able to enjoy every day food loves and cravings. Thank you Colette for coming up with s ...more
Jenn
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great information on avoiding cross-contamination and finding ingredient substitutes.
Patricia Brennan
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent reference for anyone who deals with food allergies.
Ianna
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I am looking for a vegan cookbook and have found that allergen-free cookbooks are actually far more inventive than standard vegan cookbooks. A bit like a text book with lots of information interspersed in the recipes, but it has great explanations for various substitutions, which was an excellent introduction to the concept of vegan baking. Recipes aren't quite as appealing to me, tho: basic breads, a few basic cookies. Many recipes use Egg Replacer and Earth Balance Shortening, though a handful ...more
Whitney
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is designed for parents baking for their allergen-free children. I don't have children but me and my husband have to eat gluten free so I found it very helpful. It's not just a cookbook. It contains valuable information about allergies and how to make recipes work with lots of substitutions. The recipes look very delicious and simple. I can't wait to try some.
Brittany
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book if filled to the brim with helpful and good to know information! The perect book for anyone with allergies or even someone who wants more options than the regular grocery store fare. A wonderful source to have on hand!
Tracey
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
great advice for making substitutions (and avoiding big mistakes--the potential for clumpiness is good to know about the xantham gum!) Also a nice assortment of recipes for baked goods--muffins and cakes, pizzas and sandwich bread.
Kimberly
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook has some good information for allergen-free cooking. There were a few recipes that I would want to try but not enough to purchase the book.
Kristina
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I don't like the recipes (since I also avoid corn, soy and rice) but I like all the cooking tips and pages marked "Crash Course." I learned a lot about baking powder and eggs.
Ietrio
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: practical
This is one creative cookbook. It really deconstructs and rebuilds the recipes. A true progress from the other books on baking that just copy century old works.
Jeri Strickland
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
In our family we have many allergies. A top notch cookbook eliminating gluten, dairy, eggs, soy and nuts. Also addresses using existing over the counter gluten free mixes. Very informative.
Allison
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is full of good information to have but unfortunately the two recipes I have tried so far haven't been stellar:(
Allison
Denise
Dec 30, 2012
Jan 02, 2014
Colette Martin
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Ani
Aug 15, 2012
Chatrawee Eawprasert
Mar 24, 2014
Carrie
Aug 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook: How to Bake without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree nuts, and Sesame
  • Clean Cooking: More Than 100 Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Sugar-Free Recipes
  • Bite-Sized Science: Activities for Children in 15 Minutes or Less
  • Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World
  • Cold Storage
  • Mini Meadows: Grow a Little Patch of Colorful Flowers Anywhere around Your Yard
  • Duck Eggs Daily: Raising Happy, Healthy Ducks...Naturally
  • Build-a-Bowl: 77 Satisfying  Nutritious Combos: Whole Grain + Vegetable + Protein + Sauce = Meal
  • Baby Steps to STEM: Infant and Toddler Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Activities
Colette Martin is a cookbook author, food photographer, food allergy advocate and an expert on how to bake allergen-free. She is the author of the highly acclaimed Learning to Bake Allergen-Free: A Crash Course for Busy Parents on Baking without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy or Nuts and The Allergy-Free Pantry: Make Your Own Staples, Snacks, and More without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy or Nu ...more

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...