Start by marking “The Shadowhunter's Codex” as Want to Read:
The Shadowhunter's Codex

The Shadowhunter's Codex

(Shadowhunter Chronicles)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  23,889 ratings  ·  1,878 reviews
The Clave is pleased to announce the newest edition of the Nephilim’s oldest and most famous training manual: the Shadowhunter’s Codex. Since the thirteenth century, the Codex has been the young Shadowhunter’s best friend. When you’re being swarmed by demons it can be easy to forget the finer points of obscure demon languages or the fastest way to stop an attack of Raum de ...more
Published October 29th 2013 by Simon and Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Shadowhunter's Codex, please sign up.
Amelia Yes, a lot! Especially directed at Simon!

Spoilers coming up if you haven't read TMI

Simon also has a lot of sarcastic jokes about clary and Jaces…more
Yes, a lot! Especially directed at Simon!

Spoilers coming up if you haven't read TMI

Simon also has a lot of sarcastic jokes about clary and Jaces relation ship and the way they talk to each other(less)
ELSA I just started reading the codex and there are spoilers from the TMI and a few from the TID (not major but there are some). I would recommend you…moreI just started reading the codex and there are spoilers from the TMI and a few from the TID (not major but there are some). I would recommend you reading the series before reading the codex :))(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,506 books — 12,281 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,576 books — 11,056 voters

More lists with this book...

·  23,889 ratings  ·  1,878 reviews

Hanna
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't care if some people think that this book is annoying or unnecessary, I'm excited. I'm going to add it to my Shadowhunter collection and I'm going to love reading it, too.

my book blog: https://pagehaven.tumblr.com
Della Dwindaputri
May 30, 2013 marked it as put-down-for-a-while
I feel sorry for everyone who dislike the idea of Cassandra Clare writing another series about shadowhunters. I think the synopsis explain the book itself, THIS Shadowhunters Codex is for only only ONLY for the fandom of the mortal instruments (tmi) and the infernal devices (tid), and if you have a problem with that just don't buy this book okay? THIS book has mentioned in clockwork angel with Tessa's arrival at the institute (spoiler but not really) and Will gave her The Shadowhunters Codex to ...more
Clair
Apr 08, 2012 marked it as no-just-no
Shelves: reviewed
Why do you even need a guide to the Shadowhunters/Nephilim? Why? They're the super special awesome descendants of angels who did the dirty with human beans.

And they fight evil like wangsty little superheroes with magical runes tattoos, and they make snarky remarks and use Deluminators Witchlights and wands steles.

And their enemies are basically anything that you'd dress up as on Halloween. Demons, vampires, werewolves, the fair folk, mermaids... (Also, is it me, or do all the demons in this univ
Beth
Jan 29, 2013 marked it as to-read
Yes. Yes!!! YESS!!!!
Best thing ever. Can't wait. I love the Mortal Instruments. I love the Infernal Devices. I can't wait for the Dark Artifices. I can't wait for the Bane Chronicles. And now I can't wait for this!!!
description
*.) Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy ★★★
1.) Lady Midnight ★★★★★
2.) Lord of Shadows ★★★★
3.) Queen of Air and Darkness ★★★★

Okay, I’m not going to write up a big review for this because honestly? I was a little bored while reading this and I kept for
Parmida Aelin Sardothien
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Can i just say something to all of you who are complaining out there?!
If you don't like Cassie's work then feel free not to read them! Because a lot of us are very interested in her work and she worked very hard to create this amazing world and she has the rights to create as many novels about it as she wants because she created them all herself.
Cassandra's books mean the world to me and i would love to thank her everyday for luring me into the adventure of my life with her books.
And to have a b
This was oh lord so so good.
It was funny and interesting and informative as hell. Cassandra Jean is such an amazing artist and Joshua and the rest of them!
Clary, Jace, Magnus and Simon's notes were hilarious. Ah, what a delight.
Eunice
May 15, 2012 added it
YESSSS! *pumps fist in triumph* I can now have a reference for when I am bored and have a pen-knife and want to carve some runes into my skin for funsies!!!
Vi Vi
The Codex is the Codex itself, a textbook for new Shadowhunters, and also notes and art added in by Clary, commenting and updating things. (For one thing, the Codex’s official take on things is often not quite the same as what Clary knows to be true. The facts it claims about warlocks alone are outrageously incorrect!)

We've heard this before.

We've heard this shit before.

God damn it Clare. STOP. JUST STOP.

This will never be Hogwarts A History (aka the Encyclopedia that JK may hopefully someday w
Jon
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I was scrolling through my to read list when I saw The Shadowhunters' Codex's cover. Why was I not informed that there was a cover and a release date?? September 2013!?!?! That's so far away and I have so little patience.
Juliana Zapata
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Es un libro hermoso, lleno de imágenes increíbles y con el que aprendes todo acerca del mundo de los cazadores de sombras.

Las anotaciones de Clary, Jace y Simon me encantaron y me hicieron reír muchísimo.

Estoy lista para ascender.
Sushi (寿司)
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sapevo di essere uno Shadowhunter. Il mio nome? FoxStorm come in Tempesta di Volpi. Perchè? Perche sono una volpe e mi fa ridere una tempesta di volpi (dopo i tornado di squali che vuoi che sia) e poi Storm in Giapponese, anche Clary legge manga (oltre a Max finchè ... lo sapete), si dice Arashi e io adoro loro. Sono fuori. 😆
A proposito penso che mi allenerò per combattere con la Angel Blades. Adoro le spade.

Il Codex commentato da Magnus Bane fa troppo ridere. Adoro Magnus nella serie in realtà.
Alice Bane
Jun 15, 2012 marked it as to-read
I love the Shadowhunter world and all of Cassie's novels, and I expect to be a life-long fan of her novels. A book like this is absolutely brilliant, and is ment to be used as a reference guide or an addition to the Shadowhunter tales (though I will most likely devour the entire book in a day or two, as is my usual for novels by Cassie.). Can't wait to start reading this, though my current reading list already consists of Stephen King's Firestarter, Cassie's Clockwork Prince, and V. C. Andrew's ...more
Emily
Jan 13, 2013 added it
** DURING THE READING **
The Shadowhunter's Codex reads like a Wikipedia article on broccoli.
description
Harley
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
3 Stars.

A nice addition to the Shadowhunter world, but nothing spectacular.
Azbaqiyah
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh.
I'm truly excited to start reading ShadowHunters series by next year.
I'm finally joining this fandom!
Lucy Qhuay
May 20, 2012 marked it as on-hold

I want to know everything there is to know about the shadowhunter world! +.+
Andre
Nov 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was too stupid for too many reasons (listing them alone would hit the character limit so I will only mention a selected few examples in the spoiler sections, you can find a longer list here: http://fav.me/d6w6853). I hope I will never again read such a bad book.
The start reads like the beginning of a Pokemon game, which is good for those games but not for a book like this(view spoiler)
Donna
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this so, so much! I will be making a video review so I won't say much here, except if you're a fan of Cassandra Clare I'd definitely recommend getting this in some format.
The commentary throughout was really funny (and also included some great Jimon moments- those two just have the best banter) and it is beautifully designed and illustrated.
My favourite part of the codex came in the last two sections, the 'History of the Nephilm' (so much cool stuff about Johnathon Shadowhunter
Renata
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

This shows the complex world Cassandra Clare created and it's amazing, I mean she has a great cretivity and this book just shows you that it's not something that she dreamed about and done. It's a lot of work and wow.

To be honest some parts you already know (80% let's be honest) from the books since I've read all of them so far and also some things could have been explained better but in general it was really fast to read (if you have time because it took me months omg).
Reza
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I know the book is not really necessary, but..

The cover is so awesome! I will probably buy (and read) it just for the cover.

Yes. I have a problem.

EDIT: So I gave in.. and I bought it. It's a nice read though and the illustrations are beautiful.
Elena
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a die hard Shadowhunter fan, so duuh of course I loved this! :D
Zero vi Britannia
Why? Why? Why? We've had enough of this crap, Clare. Move on. Why don't you Write a book about mermaids or trolls or witches or zombies...demon fairy warriors from the Edo period. Anything other than these $#%@ing Nephilim! just retire comfortably and live off the completely undeserved money you earned from your piece of shit series?
_racheljane_
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, I was really excited for his book when I bought it just because I love the shadowhunter world that Cassandra Clare created. It was a very quick book to get through and it doesn't take up all that much brain space. I am excited just to flip through it now and then and I would definitely recommend for diehard fans.
Irene△⃒⃘➰
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.3/5

Short story: I finally finished this book. Here is why it took me this long lol
So I was reading this book on my train trip when I went to the Shadowhunters convention this July. Then the post convention depression got me and this book reminded me too much of that period. So I put it on hold even because I was missing the last two chapters full of history dates and infos and the Law chapter which was as everything interesting but "heavier" as a subject.
Now I found motivation to finish it, so
Iris
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
5 Out of 5 stars

This taught me so much more of the Shadow world, it's very renjoyuable and the illustrations and little scribbles of Jace, Clary and Simon are amazing. It made the book feel much more alive and because of this it was very enjoyable.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys TMI :)

Carolina Carriço
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Shadowhunter's Codex was so, so good!

I started the book thinking that it was for Shadowhunter's like some kind of Bible, and then I understood that the point of creating a Codex was for new Shadowhunter's, mundanes who became Shadowhunters, or for kids adopted by Shadowhunters, and I was kinda disappointed. But when I got truly sucked up into it, I was in love!

The way the Codex shows us the Shadow World is truly magical, and if I wanted to Shadowhunter's to be real first, and became one of t
Alexa
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, books-i-own
I love it! I think it's such a great idea! :)
Liz
Jun 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
OH MY GOD desprately NEED to get this!! cant wait!! :D gah!
Angigames
Manuale che un appassionato della Saga Shadowhunters non può non leggere, mi è stato molto utile per chiarire alcune cose. Personalmente però, mi aspettavo qualcosa di diverso, di più professionale.
Il volume alterna parti veramente interessanti con altre soporifere…
Personalmente ho trovato i commenti di Simon, Clary e Jace, carini ma infantili…
Bellissimi i disegni e bellissima la prima parte.
Potrò mai essere una Shadowhuter nella prossima vita? Ovviamente no.
Mi sono persa elencando le armi, mi

• Other Worlds
  • City of Bones: The Graphic Novel
  • Shadowhunter's Guide: City of Bones
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Mortal Instruments Companion: City of Bones, Shadowhunters, and the Sight: The Unauthorized Guide
  • Navigating the Shadow World: The Unofficial Guide to Cassandra Clare's the Mortal Instruments
  • Aftermath (Nightshade #3.5; Nightshade World #6.5)
  • The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • Myrnin's Tale (The Morganville Vampires)
  • Adrian's Lost Chapter (Bloodlines, #0.5)
  • The Silver Mask (Magisterium #4)
  • Daniel's First Sighting (Fallen Shorts, #0.1)
  • Unbreakable (The Legion, #1)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

Shadowhunter Chronicles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
  • Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)
  • Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)
The Great and Tragic Love of Jonathan Shadowhunter and David the Silent, by Clary Fray, Aged 17.
SIMON IT WAS BY SIMON NOT ME

(...) Jonathan Shadowhunter: Oh, David, I would trust you with my life!
David: Oh, Jonathan, I would sacrifice my own life for your holy mission! (He almost does)
Jonathan: (weeping) David, you must return to me! I need you! I cannot do this thing without you!
David: Lo, I return!
Jonathan: Zounds! I feel a great stirring in my pantaloons!
David: What doth thy pantalo

SIMON I WILL KILL YOU
57 likes
NYC Institute has one. I'll show you sometime if you want.
It's a date.
It is maybe the least romantic spot in the Institute, by the way.
You'll make up for that, I'm sure.
(Jeez, get a locked room on unsanctified ground, you two.)”
43 likes