Start by marking “Me and Her: a Memoir Of Madness” as Want to Read:
Me and Her: a Memoir Of Madness

Me and Her: a Memoir Of Madness

Me And Her: A Memoir of Madness reveals how Karen Tyrrell, a dedicated Australian teacher is repeatedly harassed by parents at her school to breaking point and beyond. In a fit of desperation, she escapes and runs. Police and medical professionals discover her hiding in a lonely motel, forcing her into the frightening world of the psychiatric system. The reader is taken ba ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Digital Future Press

To ask other readers questions about Me and Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and Her

Charmaine Clancy
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very touching memoir, this book explores the up and downs (and even more ups) of living with and surviving a mental illness. Even if you've not been affected by someone living with this illness, you'll still be able to relate to Karen's situations and the emotional roller coaster of reactions to the harassment she endured. At times you will even smile along with this real-life character.
Dimity Powell
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Non Fic memoirs are not my normal bedside reading. Did I enjoy this one? How do you enjoy being tugged by the toenails into Karen's tortuous decent of the emotionally confusing and calamitous world of being bipolar? Only to be yanked back to normality again and again. I was often left breathless, like Karen, from the rollercoaster ride of constant soaring and plunging. But that's how I like my rides and reads. So, yes, I enjoyed it a lot. My only regret is that I was not able to make it to one o ...more
Anne
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Raw and confronting, brings Bipolar out of the darkness.

It was a raw and honest account of what caused the problem and how it affected every aspect of Karen's life. Well written and totally engages the reader.

Karen's journey with Bipolar gave me an understanding of the condition and how people with it view people and situations around them.

I can only applaude Karen on her courage in writing such a confronting book. It will be an invaluable source for anyone with friends or family with Bipolar
Maggie
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Karen's book gives the reader an insight into the powerful hold mental illness can have on its victims. Me & Her tells the story through both women's eyes, and I give praise to anyone who is brave enough to tell their story in such a courageous and honest way. A compelling read.
Daniel Taylor
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with bipolar disorder who know people with it
Recommended to Daniel by: Sue Bond
Shelves: bipolar-disorder
This reads like a fast-paced thriller as Karen Tyrell leads you through the twists and turns of her journey with bipolar disorder. If you have bipolar or know someone who does, this is a must-read.
Patricia Puddle
Once I started reading Karen Tyrrell's story I couldn't put it down. What a brave woman to write a memoir of her mental illness and forced hospitalisation. That takes courage. From what I gather, people experiencing mania are enjoying it and don't think they need help. This memoir gives an insight into the mind of the author while she's experiencing mania and how she felt about her husband's intervention. Not only will this book help people with bipolar, it will also help their family, friends a ...more
John S
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mental-health
Well written. Karen Tyrell articulates what it's like to have bipolar and it's devastation on those who suffer from bipolar and on their careers and family. Bipolar wrecks lives.

This is a first person testimony from a professional writer who has suffered and is surviving bipolar. It benefits those still suffering from bipolar because it lets them know they are not alone and that there is hope.

A common frustration for anyone suffering pain is the inability of others not so stricken to truly ap
Belladonna
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gripping, raw, real, heartbreaking, hopeful...I was moved by Karen Tyrrell’s brave memoir. ME & HER reveals the shadowy world of mental illness, exposes the fundamental flaws in our mental health systems, and through this brave woman’s journey in battling with the ‘monster’, her memoir offers hope and a light in the darkness. ME & HER is a MUST READ, not only for those of us who have been touched by mental illness in one form or another, but for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, because essentiall ...more
Sharon
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very open account of one woman's struggle to understand her mental condition. Her bold attitude to understanding brings you on a raw and emotional journey into Bipolar Disorder. I loved the book and am glad that Karen provided this interesting and revealing story to highlight the individual and family angst associated with mental disorders. Well done Karen, a fabulous read. Thank you for sharing.
Ruth Garlick
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Me & Her" was absolutely amazing! I loved it because a) it was super well-written b) it was intriguing and addictive c) it taught me stuff about bipolar – and I LOVE learning
Karen Tyrrell is an extremely talented author – I can't wait to read more of her works! She writes with a passion, which sucked me in.
I will treasure my copy of "Me & Her" always :)
Madonna
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From the first few lines read I was captivated, intrigued and emotional moved. "Me & Her" was like a novel I couldn't put down, I felt my heart bet hard in my chest as I read though the pages of this Ladies fight for her sanity. Only it wasn't a novel, everything I read in this book actually happened.

Juliet Sampson
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You never know where your life path will take you. This is shown in Me & Her. The honest recount of Karen's journey captures the reader. I have never read a story like this before. Thank you Karen for sharing your experience.
Jill Smith
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book begins in a motel, with the door being knocked on by police and Karen being very confused about why they are there. They are asking Samantha to come out. That’s not her name. Even more distressing, Karen is taken away and put into a psych ward. What has she done to cause this? She doesn’t understand.

The following chapters explore the process Karen goes through to find herself again. To banish, the other ‘Her’, full of manic behavior which tempts her to become high on being creative. At
Marj Osborne
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
The Johari Window, developed in the 1950s from the work of Carl Jung, states that there are four ‘sides’ or quadrants to each person. From memory, the four sides to each one of us are:

• Open - What you know about yourself that is clearly visible to others;
• Hidden - What you know about yourself that others don’t know;
• Blind Spot - What others know about you that you don’t know;
• Unknown – motives or behaviours not known by the person or others.

The journey with another person via a memoir is by
Sue
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a person who was diagnosed with PTSD and Bipolar Disorder, I was so happy to find a memoir from an Aussie female! I was enthralled by Karen's story and the writing was engaging, thought-provoking and importantly, honest. It is crucial for books like this to be written as so many people who have mental illness want to feel like there are others out there who have shared the same experiences, memoirs provide a way to further your knowledge about your own health and well-being.

This memoir captur
Jayne
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic journey, one of which I would compare to a rollercoaster ride. Karen’s book draws the reader into every moment, following her emotions and wild mood swings – her joy, sadness and enlightenment. It was a true reflection of how a caring, intelligent, dedicated person can morph into what society labels “unstable and out-of-control”. Bipolar creeps up on you and one minute you are on top of the world and the next you are trying to re-establish your whole life including family and work re ...more
Cynthia
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book must be written by a brave and daring woman with an equally brave and indomitable family. My hat is off to all of them. I took the nibble-bait of reading the first 20 pages and then took the plunge with my first Kindle, ibook, ebook or whatever. I am glad that this book was my first. Karen writes with such raw honesty and her simple direct narrative both deconstructs and reconstructs her understanding, and experience, with bipolar disorder. Now I follow up that first with my first onli ...more
Kirsty Mcdowall
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
To Karen Tyrrell

I really enjoyed your book. You should be proud of what you have achieved. I am glad that you found your way back and that you continue to manage your condition while fulfilling your dreams.

It was interesting how you wrote from the point of view of "her" and then later you made the personal realisations that gave you the broader perspective. I'm sure that anyone suffering Bipolar would be able to identify with your descriptions of how you saw the world and because of that know th
Alison Stegert
Karen Tyrrell's memoir is a must read for anyone who needs insight into the reality of mental illness. She is generous to her readers, exposing her own weaknesses and sharing the painful journey to self-acceptance and recovery. I read almost the entire book in one session; I was sucked in by her honesty and compelled to find out how she managed to find peace and regain her life. I now have an even deeper compassion and appreciation for teachers and other people who work in stressful environments ...more
Chloe
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-author
What an amazing insight into mental illness! Hats off to this author who suffered, recognised her illness and is determined not to let it rule her life.

Triggered by an extremely stressful situation, Karen spins out of control into mania and a roller coaster of forced hospitalisation and medication results. We view bipolar from the suffer's point of view and we also gain insight into how it effects and devastates families and friends.

It's confronting, it's raw and yet, there's hope in this memoir
Vacen Taylor
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring story! Karen reveals her struggle with bipolar and takes us into the world of Me & Her. By writing this book she's opened a door for us all, helping us to understand the trials and trauma that can be associated with this devastating illness.

It feels like you're with her as she takes each step on her journey to recovery. It's a journey filled with countless emotions, glimpses of spiritual connections, real courage, and a mindfulness for healing.
Me & Her is an inspiring stor
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
To be honest I don't normally read memoir's but since I've met Karen I thought I would give it a go. I've since finished the book and must admit I enjoyed it.

Despite having studied psychology I did not know a great deal about what it meant to actually have a mental illness. So this book really opened my eyes to what people in Karen's situation go through on a daily basis.

I enjoyed the book, it was a great learning experience. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to get an insight into me
Nicky Johnston
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was so looking forward to reading the book "Me and Her" by Karen Tyrrell and I certainly was NOT disappointed. It is a story that you simply cannot put down, I actually felt like I was on the journey with her - the raw honesty and detailed emotions I consider to be extremely brave and I applaud Karen in not leaving out the 'hard stuff'. Mental health issues are very real, and experienced by so many. It is very hard to explain to a person who has never been affected by mental illness - this boo ...more
Robin Adolphs
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Me and Her is an open and revealing account of Karen's personal struggle and triumph over 'madness'.

The powerful and shocking first scene plunges the reader straight into the author's private nightmare followed by a big dipper ride right through the book as she struggles to regain her former self.

Fast paced,easy to read and brutally honest, Me and Her is informative, highly readable and inspirational.
Darlene
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to learn of another's path
Recommended to Darlene by: Kindle freebie
Kudos, Ms. Karen Tyrrell, for the courage to tell your personal story and your struggles with your bipolar demons. Having second hand dealings with a mother who had undiagnosed bipolar, I was glad to see that you were able to get the help and support you needed. It is a most devastating disorder/illness. I am glad to have read this and know more of the process of diagnoses and the various coping mechanisms you learned along the way. Thank you for sharing your story.
Kerrie
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found this book a compelling read on several levels.
At times I wanted to yell...."No Karen, don't do it"......It's impossible to read this story without having protective feeling toward the heroine. The fact that it is a true story makes it even more amazing(less)
Debbie Behan
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it

The title says it all and the message powerful. How a caring teacher is broken down by life's cruel twists. How harassment can destroy the very essence of a person and then, the struggle back from the depths of despair by courageous Me.
Michelle
May 14, 2012 added it
Shelves: 2012
A brave memoir that takes you inside the confused bipolar mind.
TheCosyDragon
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This review has been crossposted from my blog at The Cosy Dragon. Please head there for more in-depth reviews by me.

It is hard to imagine what it is like for a person with mental illness, particularly one as 'bad' as bipolar disorder (manic-depression). The ravings and journalling of Karen while manic provide such a valuable resource that Karen plumbs for information to write this novel. It's those formed into a relatively cohesive whole that allow the reader into a manic mind.

This has to be one
Heather James
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

The title first caught my attention as I watched with interest how the virtual world shared and communicated the "ME & HER: A Memoir of Madness" book. I had no intention of reading this book initially. That was until I was prompted to read the 20 page preview of the book. Well, even before the end of the preview I was ready to consume the contents of the entire book in a matter of days. It had me hook, line and sinker in a positive way.

I love Karen's writing style, it is detailed, descripti
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• My Kind of Crazy: Living in a Bipolar World
  • The Ugly Daughter
  • Gypsy Moon
  • I Have Cancer. And I've Never Felt Better!
  • Diary of a Lost Girl: The Autobiography of Kola Boof
  • Why Warriors Lie Down and Die
  • Farm Girl
  • Don't Let an Old Person Move Into Your Body
  • Chasing Down the Dawn
Karen Tyrrell is a Brisbane award winning author of 9 books, key note speaker, teacher, story teller, workshop and Masterclass presenter. Karen is the winner of 3 awards, 3 literary grants and a mentorship from the Society of Editors. Karen presents writing workshops for Queensland Writers Centre, Brisbane City Libraries, Gold Coast Writers Festival, schools, libraries and hospitals. She has appea ...more
“In 2005, my mad half, HER was born...
ME & HER: a Memoir of Madness, 2012.”
2 likes