Start by marking “Outlaw in Paradise” as Want to Read:
Outlaw in Paradise

Outlaw in Paradise

A legendary gunfighter brings big trouble to a frontier town, and ignites the passion of a local saloon owner

When Jesse Gault saunters into Paradise, Oregon, with a gun on each hip, the town is instantly abuzz. What could a legendary gunslinger want in Paradise? And what will the townsfolk have to do to keep his trouble from becoming their own? Cady McGill, proprietor of
Published December 13th 2011 by Open Road Media Romance (first published July 21st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Outlaw in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outlaw in Paradise

Start your review of Outlaw in Paradise
Misfit
Ugh, this was just too much sex with no chemistry and not much story. I felt thoroughly lost at the end when the author finally realized she needed to wrap things up and tossed in all but the kitchen sink.
Julie
Outlaw in Paradise by Patricia Gaffney is a 2011 Open Road Media publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a delightful historical western romance that will tickle the funny bone and warm your heart.
Originally published in 1997, Open Road Integrated Media had re-issued the book in digital format.

Jesse Gault arrives in Paradise, Oregon looking every bit the quintessential outlaw gunslinger, dressed in black all the
Fedora
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this immensely so far--Cady McGill's running a saloon in Paradise, Oregon, and holding her own in a man's world. Jesse Gault is seemingly a gunslinger who arrives in town. Not all is as it seems :)

Updated now that I've finished--a very good read. Lovely to see Jesse and Cady's relationship develop and see them get to know each other; layer upon layer, like petals unfolding on an opening flower. This is going on the keeper shelf.
Olga Godim
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Although this book was published in 1997, this is my first Patricia Gaffney. It won’t be my last though. I feel like I’ve found a new friend, someone to follow and enjoy and anticipate every new encounter. From cover to cover, I was enchanted by the story, by the characters, and by the language. A Wild West romance with a humorous touch – what could be better?

Warning – spoilers ahead!

The action takes place in a small town Paradise. The town’s weekly is called Paradise Reverberator. Doesn’t that
Ruth
This one, provided by the publisher through netgalley, was a wonderful read. It has some of the usual tropes in a Western (the unscrupulous town "boss", the tavern owner/madam with the heart of gold, the philosophical barman etc), but it also has some very Gaffney touches, which I love, and even though not new, feel fresh and funny.

The hero. Well, is he a hero? I'm not so sure he actually is one. But better than that, I think he's an incredibly likeable man, something which isn't all that common
Water
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS: If this was sold as a comedy instead of a romance, it would receive 5 stars from me. Gaffney is a great writer, and this book is HILARIOUS. There are several laugh-out-loud scenes. Both Jesse and Cady are likable. It's made clear early on that Jesse is a con man, not a real gunslinger. That's fine and all. However, this is ROMANCE and Jesse can't even shoot a gun! I wanted him to show that he had some secret skills or toughness, but alas he didn't. Oh well. Still a good read.
Diane K. Peterson
Wonderful story! This RITA finalist is sweet, funny, and charming. But it is not a "sweet" book -- there are some very cute sexy bits as well. Jesse Gault wanders into the town of Paradise in the persona of a known gunslinger. He looks the part, but is he what he appears to be? If not, who is he? In little and big ways he becomes attached to the town, especially saloon owner, Cady McGill.

I love these clever, humorous Western stories. This one is just terrific. It charmed me from the first page
Wicked Incognito Now
I suppose I expected a little more meat to a Patricia Gaffney historical. The story and writing are decent, just not noteworthy. The heroine doesn't pick up on some of the most obvious plot developments. I like my heroines to be more savvy than this. I don't know. I'm disappointed.
Natalya
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the best romance novels ever, characters lovable, plot realistic and fast, impossible to stop reading, the drama grabs you deep.
Natalija
I'm not really sure how I feel about the book. My main problem is that it ended up being more light-hearted than I expected or wanted for it to be. Also, there is a twist at the end that is similar to the one in Lawless by Patricia Potter, but the way it was played here lacked credibility. Bottom line, I've read better books written by this author.
Nancy
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where, other than Gunsmoke, is the lady saloon owner a kind-hearted, mostly well-respected businesswoman? Doesn't work well here either.

And the hired killer who never loads his guns and can't "hit the side of a barn"?

Actually started well but went down hill.
Rosa
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic. I laughed pretty much the whole way through. Going into my "would read again" pile and want to try Gaffney's other books.
Mary Kate
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope
I really like Patricia Gaffney. This is just one of those moments when you realize you're not going to like everything an author writes.

I'm not a huge fan of westerns to begin with but I thought I'd give it a try. Now most westerns have a puritanical background. The women are the homemakers and the men work out in the fields. My surprise was that usually a woman with the heroine's background would be considered "fallen" and treated as a social pariah. But then maybe the other books I've been
J Jares
It only takes 3 words to describe this book: Just plain fun! There’s an aptly named villain – Mr. Wylie. He doesn’t just want most things, he wants the whole town.

His biggest impediment is lovely Cady McGill, owner of the only other saloon in town. Suddenly, the real trouble comes to town in the person of the notorious gunfighter, Jesse Gault. He wears only black, smokes black cigarettes, wears a black patch over one eye and has a vengeful snarl. The only person that is unafraid of him is Cady
Henrietta Higginbottom
As another reviewer said, I was completely enchanted by this novel. I truly cannot think of another word to describe my experience, and believe me, I tried!

The characters behaved in believable ways (no TSTL heroine was Cady, no sir!), and seeing inside their heads made me love them. The writing was lovely, lyrical, and witty. I chuckled and smiled all the way to the last page.

I'm glad I picked up several other Gaffney titles recently, if this book is any indication of what I have ahead of me.
Charlie
This was a very lighthearted story, though not likely or brilliant. The main characters are ok, I didn't dislike them. What reduced my enjoyment was how slow the story seemed to be going and how much of a charicature everyone and everything seemed. I didn't like how Gaffney handled race in the book. I realise that I'm reading this 20 years after it was first published, but that doesn't make me like it any more.
Sedoo Ashivor
Honestly? The story is a little unbelievable, how Jesse Gault/Vaughn managed to trick everyone for as long as he did without having to draw his weapons even once! Still, it was one entertaining, hilarious ride! The characters were also engaging and well presented. Patricia Gaffney won with this one! Highly recommended!
Becca Mitchell
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read. The cast of characters were entertaining. I enjoyed how she portrayed the male lead as human instead of just a knight in shining armor.It was well written, and I would definitely look for more from this author.
Jan
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky but a good read! One thing drove me crazy: no one in the wild west of the 1800's used 'Okay/wait a sec/terrorist threats/girlfriend'. And that word 'okay' was used wayyyy too much.

Just sayin'.
Tammy
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a long time ago, and was fuzzy on the details. This was a completely entertaining, endearing, and enjoyable book that I would read again. Even if the details weren't fuzzy.
Mellanie C
Jun 12, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Dee
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK
Cute start, the rest was s-l-o-w
Tressa
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I liked Outlaw in Paradise. It was a pleasant story and Jesse was quite amusing. I liked how everything came together at the end of the story.
Jean Brashear
Mar 20, 2010
K
Dec 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Patricia Gaffney was born in Tampa, Florida, and grew up in Bethesda, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C. She earned a bachelor’s degree in English and philosophy from Marymount College in Tarrytown, New York, and also studied literature at Royal Holloway College of the University of London, at George Washington University, and at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

After college,