Start by marking “He Done Her Wrong” as Want to Read:
He Done Her Wrong

He Done Her Wrong (Toby Peters #8)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
As a favor to his brother, Toby Peters does a job for a fading Hollywood divaYou can’t trust a man who’s dressed as Mae West, especially not in Mae West’s house. One of Hollywood’s earliest sex symbols, the whip-smart blonde’s star has fallen since the Hays Code cracked down on the racy repartee that made her famous. Her latest project is a thinly veiled autobiographical n ...more
Published December 13th 2011 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about He Done Her Wrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He Done Her Wrong

Jim
I didn't care for this too much. He's a born loser & while it was amusing at first, it just got old & too predictable. By the half way mark, I knew what was going to happen too often. I started skipping ahead & didn't miss a thing.

On the plus side, the characters were quirky - a lot of old time references & stars. I like Old Time Radio, so enjoyed them. The story was well read &, even though I came in long into the series, had no trouble picking up the threads.

I won't bother
Jim
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaminsky's detective, Toby Peters is quite a character. He is a hard boiled PI, just barely scraping by financially, but once he takes a case, he is determined with a capital "D". Peters gets knocked to the mat quite a bit and always gets up before the ten count and keeps coming. When asked how he catches criminals he replies, "I take whatever passes for a lead, and I keep after it. Sometimes I go after ten leads before I get anywhere, and sometimes I go after twenty leads and never get anywhere ...more
Libby
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to read the Toby Peters books back when they first came out. I loved the language, the incredible details, and of course the celebrities included in the stories. Found this one at the book exchange we have at work and I was pleased to find it was just as good a read, all these years later.
Dave Wallace
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's 1942 in Los Angeles and our hero Toby is not the usual broke, hard-headed, wise cracking PI. Actually, he is those things but Toby is on the upper side of middle age, lives in a boarding house, has a tiny office inside a dentist's office and his old Buick gives up the ghost when he tries to pursue a killer in a Packard. His squad of friends that he relies on consist only of a fastidious Swiss midget, an aging ex-professional wrestler /poet/janitor and his brother the cop who doesn't actuall ...more
Marj
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I enjoyed Stuart Kaminsky's interpretation of Mae West in this story, and the mystery kept me guessing. Toby Peters manages to solve the problem, although it takes him awhile, and he has to go through quite a bit to reach the solution.
I found this, as the others in this series, to be fun reads, and I'm looking forward to continuing the series.
Pam
Aug 02, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, california
08/02/08 purchase from thrift store
Donna
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery centered around Hollywood in war time and Mae West, among others. Interesting plot and reflection of the times.
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in April 1942 Hollywood. May West has hired Toby Peters to find her stolen tell all mauscript. Has Cecil B. DeMille done her wrong? Written in Film Noir style.
Ed
Oct 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toby Peters w/ Mae West
David Seelye
It is better to read a Stuart Kaminsky book by looking up the pictures of the famous people involved.
Cindy
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a Toby Peters Mystery and I enjoy this look back to the 40's. It was a fun read and I wish I could have been there to see the room full of Mae West's.
Lisa
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fun read. Disappointed that Mae West didn't appear in the storyline more. Other than that, it was good.
Sharon Heath
An entertaining summer read if you like old time detective stories.
Cherie
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaminsky makes me laught and this one was no exception. Toby bumbles around investigating but he always seems to figure things out.
Joe O'Connor
Good; Continuing character: Toby Peters; this time its Mae West that the detective is trying to protect from an escapee from a mental hospital
Angela
Nov 16, 2016
Bruce
Feb 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Liberty Square (Kate Delafield, #5)
  • The Shoal of Time (Micky Knight, #8)
  • Blood Ties
  • The Blood Books, Volume III (Omnibus: Blood Debt / Blood Bank)
  • Cutter
  • Good Morning, Darkness
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Blanche Passes Go (Blanche White series Book 4)
  • Short Change (Tucker Sinclair, #3)
  • Does Your Mama Know?: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories
  • Skin Deep (Simeon Grist Mystery, #3)
  • Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)
  • The Prisoner of Second Avenue
  • A Hell of a Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #3)
  • Batteries Required (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #4)
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2007.

Stuart M. Kaminsky is author of 50 published novels, 5 biographies, 4 textbooks and 35 short stories. He also has screenwriting credits on four produced films including ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, ENEMY TERRITORY, A WOMAN IN THE WIND and HIDDEN FEARS. He is a past president of the Mystery Writers of America and has been nomi
More about Stuart M. Kaminsky...

Toby Peters (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Bullet for a Star (Toby Peters, #1)
  • Murder on the Yellow Brick Road (Toby Peters, #2)
  • You Bet Your Life (Toby Peters, #3)
  • The Howard Hughes Affair (Toby Peters, #4)
  • Never Cross a Vampire (Toby Peters, #5)
  • High Midnight (Toby Peters, #6)
  • Catch a Falling Clown (Toby Peters, #7)
  • The Fala Factor (Toby Peters, #9)
  • Down for the Count (Toby Peters, #10)
  • The Man Who Shot Lewis Vance (Toby Peters, #11)