Start by marking “Catch a Falling Clown” as Want to Read:
Catch a Falling Clown

Catch a Falling Clown (Toby Peters #7)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A circus stakeout puts Toby Peters at the bottom of the food chainThe gorilla doesn’t like clowns. Normally that wouldn’t bother Toby Peters, since detective work tends to keep him far away from animal cages, but tonight he’s dressed as a clown and locked in with the ape. The animal’s handler told him not to worry—gorillas don’t eat people. They just like to tear their arm ...more
Published December 13th 2011 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Catch a Falling Clown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catch a Falling Clown

K
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Stuart Kaminsky and his many characters' series. This story was in the Toby Peters series, which often places famous characters into the plot. The subject here was the circus and Emmet Kelly, and while not as funny or involving as others in this series, it was a solidly entertaining book. The plot was a bit weaker than I have come to expect from the author and the wry humor that is a Kaminsky hallmark was too sparse in my opinion.
Nevertheless, this is a quick and "light" read, maki
Marisa Collett
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think part of the reason I am not giving this one five stars is because the plot was very unexpected. If you saw my review for Think Fast Mr.Peters you would see raving about how funny that book was, tears down my cheeks from laughing so hard. I cried when I read this book too but for the complete opposite reason. The other reason is the whole book was just very somber and serious, no zingers, no pep. I plan on reading other books in the series though because I love these characters so much.
James Joyce
A tale about circuses and side-shows, murder and madness, in 1940s war-time California.

Marking a return to Mirador with its thin-skinned and small-minded sheriff, hulking deputy, and lack of future.

The Big Top. Clowns and high-wire acts. Lions, and tigers and gorillas, oh my! Elephanticide, homicide, attempted vehicular murders and a few not-so-romantic beach encounters. And Toby as a grease-painted clown act. Plus Alfred Hitchcock, collecting background for a planned scene in an upcoming movie,
Geri
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, recommend, own
I was at my local used bookstore several days ago when the cover of this book caught my eye.
I love clowns.
Happy, sad, nice, evil -- I love clowns.
I don't get what it is about clowns that give people the heebie-jeebies.
One of my favorite clowns is Pennywise from Stephen King's It.

Book #7
Someone with a grudge against circuses is killing off the performers.
Emmett Kelly hires Toby Peters to find out who it is.
Good mystery sprinkled with real people.
I'd like to read the rest of the series.
Susan
Private eye Toby Peters has been hired by famous clown Emmett Kelly, who feels that his gig in a small circus puts his life in jeopardy. Kelly is also worried about the death of some circus elephants. Soon after Peters arrives in Mirador (to which local lawmen have warned him never to return), a tightrope walker dies in what Peters is sure is not an accident. Peters calls on his Los Angeles friends to help him, but he's soon in serious danger, from criminals as well as the law.
Dave
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
Consistent with the other two Toby Peters mysteries I've heard, escapist noir near parody. Peters is called by famous clown Emmet Kelly to investigate the suspicious death of a circus elephant near a town where Toby can't support the local sheriff. When aerialists die from falls and bullet wounds, Peters is the sheriff's choice of fall guy. An admirable distraction.
Mike Gustin
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was not Kaminsky's best, but it involves the circus, a gorilla named Gargantua, and Emmett Kelly, the famous clown (who actually lived before my time). Alfred Hitchcock also puts in an appearance. The novel is set in a nasty town in either Orange or San Diego County.
Michael Paribello
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great job evoking the atmosphere of a traveling circus
Isaac
Sep 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one fell through the net.
Joe O'Connor
Very Good; Continuing character: Toby Peters; detective assists clown Emmitt Kelly when animals and performers start getting killed at the circus.
Ed
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toby Peters w/ Emmett Kelly
Sandi
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
These mysteries are set in the 1940's in Hollywood and always involve a movie star or two. Fun.
Cherie
I love the settings of these books--Hollywood in the 1940s and there's alway a celebrity. Toby Peters makes me laugh so I thoroughly enjoy the books.
Paula
James Mahoney
rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Merchant of Death (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #3)
  • Red, White, and Blue Murder (Hilda Johansson #2)
  • Ghost of A Chance (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #2)
  • Death Mask
  • The Overseer
  • The Song of a Dark Angel (Hugh Corbett, #8)
  • Murder Your Darlings (Algonquin Round Table #1)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • Beyond A Doubt (The Carol Childs Mysteries, #2)
  • Good Morning, Irene (Irene Adler, #2)
  • SPQR III: The Sacrilege (SPQR, #3)
  • Silver Days (Journey to America, #2)
  • Blood Red Dawn
  • Carthage (The Carthage Trilogy, #3)
  • The Prisoner of Second Avenue
  • The Dedicated Villain (The Golden Chronicles, #6)
  • Amy and Laura
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2007.

Stuart M. Kaminsky is author of 50 published novels, 5 biographies, 4 textbooks and 35 short stories. He also has screenwriting credits on four produced films including ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, ENEMY TERRITORY, A WOMAN IN THE WIND and HIDDEN FEARS. He is a past president of the Mystery Writers of America and has been nomi
More about Stuart M. Kaminsky...

Toby Peters (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Bullet for a Star (Toby Peters, #1)
  • Murder on the Yellow Brick Road (Toby Peters, #2)
  • You Bet Your Life (Toby Peters, #3)
  • The Howard Hughes Affair (Toby Peters, #4)
  • Never Cross a Vampire (Toby Peters, #5)
  • High Midnight (Toby Peters, #6)
  • He Done Her Wrong (Toby Peters, #8)
  • The Fala Factor (Toby Peters, #9)
  • Down for the Count (Toby Peters, #10)
  • The Man Who Shot Lewis Vance (Toby Peters, #11)