Start by marking “Latter End” as Want to Read:
Latter End

Latter End (Miss Silver #11)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  510 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
In this classic British mystery starring a sleuth who “has her place in detective fiction as surely as Lord Peter Wimsey or Hercule Poirot,” Miss Silver investigates a case of marital murder (Manchester Evening News).

Lois has always dreamed of being a Latter. The Latter brothers are both so attractive—nearly as handsome as their stately manor, Latter End. After she spoils
Published July 26th 2011 by Open Road Media Mystery Thriller (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Latter End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latter End

Sally
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I've now read 19 of the 32 Miss Silver mysteries. This is the 11th in the series. They are all pleasant cozy reads, with different plots and new personalities for Miss Silver to observe and analyze, but other than giving a synopsis of the plot, it is hard to give a meaningful review of each one. It does seem that each one has at least one really disagreeable character that either becomes the victim of murder or turns out to be the perpetrator, and in a way that makes them satisfying. Patricia We ...more
Rebecca
The family living at Latter End has always been a bit of a hotchpotch--step-siblings, old family friends, old family retainers, the stray cousin--but it worked wonderfully until Jimmy Latter, owner of the house, married the stunning but ruthless Lois. After putting up with the mishmash household--for certain values of "putting up with" that include extracting as much work as possible and imposing as much humiliation as possible--Lois decides it's time to send the whole lot packing and start over ...more
Mo
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another charming book in this series. However...

1. How can the author name the main characters Mr & Mrs Latter, then introduce other characters named Mr & Mr Latimer. What was the author thinking? Thank goodness they only appeared for a few pages, but why employ such similair names?

2. I am not convinced that the ending held up. (view spoiler)
smetchie
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to smetchie by: Seth Ball
Delightful little mystery with plenty of stunning banter, complex relationships, lovely characters, perfect pacing, and of course, our "revered perceptress," Miss Silver.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Latter End (Miss Silver #11), Patricia Wentworth
Tam May
This is my first time reading a book by Patricia Wentworth and I really wanted to like it much more than I did. The mystery itself is entertaining (although it did have some holes in it, in my view, and the last 15% of the book was sort of anticlimactic). But I found Miss Silver, quite frankly, to be a little annoying. I don't know how she is in the earlier books, but here, she comes off to me as sanctimonious, preachy, and condescending, especially to those whose social position is inferior to ...more
Amanda
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-most-foul
Lovely (and Loathsome) Lois has Jimmy Fallen wrapped around her well-manicured finger. Everyone else in the family not-so-cordially hates her. Lois is one of those women who always gets what she wants, and doesn't care a bit what happens to anyone else.

When Lois turns up dead, the question seems to be: murder or suicide? Was Lois the type to end her own life? Not a chance. Were the people who hated her the types to murder her? Not really...but even the meek, if pushed too far, can do the unthink
Andrea
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lois Latter seems to have it all. She’s great-looking, smart, efficient, and charming. She inherited a substantial amount of money when her first husband died, and has married another wealthy man, Jimmy Latter, who has a beautiful house in a village. Jimmy worships her, and allows her to have things almost entirely her way. Although many people are having difficulties finding good help after the war, Mrs. Latter is able to get assistance from a number of relatives and friends who have always liv ...more
Learnin Curve
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detectives
Brilliant, right back to the old format. I hated the victim and had no idea who did it even though the clues were there, huzzah. If you are reading the series than skip books 9 and 10 and leave them till the end, they break the flow.
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
An enjoyable whodunit in a similar style and era to Agatha Christie's Miss Marple mysteries.
Louise Culmer
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
this is one of the best of the miss Silver books. A cast of interesting characters, an ingenious plot, and a very clever solution. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Bryn (Plus Others)
I have been considering how these, the most traditionally cosy of cosy mysteries, work. It is my observation that the victim in a book like this is most often someone largely disliked, in part so that there are a wide variety of potential suspects, but also because the reader grieving the death of a beloved character is not actually cosy. The reader is meant to be caught up in the puzzle of the mystery, making timetables and looking for clues and deducing who did what, not feeling sad about the ...more
Melissa
Quick read. Some reader conflict in this one, as the person who gets murdered is the one really unsympathetic character. Everyone else is sympathetic in one way or another - basically, it's the story of a household of nice people who got stuck with a bad person who married into the family (the spouse slowly has his eyes opened as the story progresses). And when that bad person is murdered, the conundrum becomes ... who did it? Who of these charming people is a murderer?

The solution is somewhat
Scilla
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lois Latter is a selfish woman who has married for money. She tries to controlling her husband's household. Family hangers on spend most of their time doing housework, whereas Lois takes it easy. She wants to kick out family to make room for her friends. When Lois is found dead by poison, it isn't clear whether she was murdered or committed suicide. Miss Silver arrives to help Jimmy Latter. Gradually, the facts come out.
Gypsi
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The new mistress of Latter End has everyone turned against her. When she is found poisoned, the suspects are numerous. Wentworth sets up the mystery excellently by giving the reader a solid introduction to the family. Once the murder happens, Miss Silver enters and unravels the clues, giving a most satisfying solution.
Pamela
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Miss Silver. Pretty much a poor man’s Miss Marple. Nothing of any literary note—just a fun little read.
Katherine
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these, but I want to pull my hair out after the 100000000th mention of "Miss Silver coughed".
Sherry
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Silver arrives & sorts out past & present mystery murders!
Robyn
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
Early Bird Books Deal | The usual Miss Silver, though I thought the solution was obvious surprisingly early on and began to get a bit impatient to have it figured out within the narrative.
Allison Henle
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't stand most of the characters, except Julia, but the mystery itself is challenging.
Martha Bratton
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old-fashioned, but so elegant.
Judy
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't believe my luck to find a Miss Silver that i hadn't read at the dump. ( er, transfer station) Set in post WWII Britain, a time I like to read about, late 40s, early 50's. Life was so hard. I read once that Brits had it much harder for much longer after the war than the Germans. Anyway, this is a delightful Miss Silver with plenty of vivd characters. Unlike most Miss Silvers, I had this one figured out about 50 pages early.
Joy
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Country manor Latter End should be a paradise with kind Jimmy Latter as its master, but Jimmy is mastered by his second wife. Jimmy wants to share his home with his beloved family; Lois Latter can't bear them and is unscrupulously squeezing them out. You will wait on pins and needles for Lois to be murdered. I didn't want anyone in the household to be found guilty. I found the ending highly satisfactory.
Susan
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Oyster
Shelves: mysteries
Patricia Wentworth writes cozy mysteries, where usually people get what they deserve. This book starts with a family gathering where one person’s words and actions are making almost everyone else violently unhappy. When she falls ill, there is no shortage of suspects, but Miss Silver is soon on the spot, untangling the clues which lead to a surprising conclusion.
Evelyn Brooks
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If You Love a Fantastic Whodunit, Read This ASAP

I can't think when I've ever read a whodunit where I didn't want any of the suspects to turn out to be guilty! Usually at least one of them is someone I'd be willing to surrender to Scotland Yard. You'll be wringing your hands waiting to learn the solution to this incredible Miss Silver mystery. Another winner from Wentworth.
Katie Hilton
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Silver is asked to solve a very perplexing murder that might be suicide. An attractive woman dies of morphia poisoning after a fight with her husband. Was she upset about the breach, or did one of the several other household members, all of whom hate her, do her in? Miss Silver sorts it out.
Teresa
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading about this hateful woman who was killed, I thought about Agatha Christie's Orient Express, but Miss Silver is not Miss Marple and the end of this woman was equally as satisfying en fin.
Nicole
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Miss Silver is called in by Jimmy Latter to show that his wife Lois did not kill herself. Of coarse that means some one must have meant to murder her. This leaves Mr Latter's step mother's daughters or the family friend Minnie as the most likely suspects.
Marie
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Wentworth, like Agatha Christie & Ngaio Marsh are my 'comfort reads'. Always enjoyable.
Anna
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Good mystery, sweet romance, well laid clues, and a creepy villain that got what was coming to them!
  • Mr. Campion's Farthing (Albert Campion #20)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • The Treasure at Poldarrow Point  (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)
  • Death in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)
  • The Vanishing Shadow (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #1)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Death Mask
  • The Bishop at the Lake (Blackie Ryan, #16)
  • Small Plates (Faith Fairchild)
  • Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
  • Beautiful Malice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
  • Motion to Suppress
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope Mystery #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley #16)
    $7.49 $1.99
“Obstinacy is an impediment to the free exercise of thought. It paralyses the intelligence. Conclusions based upon preconceived ideas are valueless.” 0 likes