Start by marking “Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)” as Want to Read:
Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)

Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt #7)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  3,297 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
The Devil is certainly at work in the dark streets of the slums of Victorian London—and Charlotte and Thomas Pitt must stop a killer before he strikes again

A serial killer is loose in the slums of Devil’s Acre. The murders are brutal, but it is the killer’s grizzly signature that shocks even Inspector Thomas Pitt, no stranger to death and violent crime. The victims are st
Published June 14th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published April 12th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Death in the Devil's Acre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in the Devil's Acre

Moonlight Reader
7th book in the Thomas & Charlotte Pitt series, this one was just OK. I am strongly skeptical that Victorian ladies chose to moonlight as whores because they were bored and/or their wealthy husbands were lousy lays.

I still like both Thomas and Charlotte Pitt, although Charlotte's behavior did rather get on my nerves in this one.
Ira
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars.
Kate Forsyth
I bought a whole pile of Anne Perry’s Victorian-era detective series second-hand for a pittance, and have been reading my way through them in order. Death in the Devil’s Acre is the seventh in the series, and the weakest so far. Although the murder is macabre enough, the denouement felt rushed and unlikely, and the Victorian world was not brought to such vivid and effective life as previous books in the series. That said, it may be the result of reading too many back-to-back! And I have about 15 ...more
Andie
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
6/1/15 Death in Devil's Acre, Anne Perry, 1985
This book in the Charlotte & Thomas Pitt mystery series was so laughably improbable that it was actually fun to read. In brief summary, Pit is rousted out of his bed by a sargent in the police to investigate a murder in the notorious London slum of Devil's Acre. The victim has been stabbed in the back, but then his genitals have been cut off.

Of course the tabloid newspapers go wild, and in the subsequent days, several other people are murdered in
Meredith
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm a huge fan of Perry's Monk series, but this is my first Pitt Mystery. I'd avoided them for a while because someone told me that they weren't as enjoyable as the Monk books, but I have to disagree. I think that the Pitts are much more historically accurate than Hester and Monk, and I really enjoy their interaction. I'm looking forward to reading more of the Pitt books.

Perry isn't afraid to delve into truly dark parts of humanity -- but she does it with such compassion and insight! Villains ar
Carole (in Canada)
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Drama, Mystery
Shelves: mystery
This was another riveting novel by Anne Perry taking place in the underbelly of the slums of London. The blackmailing footman from Callendar Square (Book 2) pops up dead and emasculated. From there, the bodies start piling up. Inspector Pitt works hard to connect the threads of these people to each other. He has asked Charlotte not to interfere in this one. However, once an aristocrat from her sister, Emily's, social sphere is found dead and mutilated, she can't help herself as they start making ...more
Jenny
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say that I enjoyed this installment of the Thomas/Charlotte Pitt series. It started with a strong opening (a man is found murdered and castrated in a very destitute/slum area of London called the Devil's Acre) but then the book devolves into social commentary about the slums/whorehouses and then goes a step further into child prostitution (which was kind of alluded to in Perry's previous Pitt book with Arthur and the teenage prostitute).

The Balantynes from Callendar Square are back, incl
Scot
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seventh in the Charlotte & Thomas Pitt series, this is a good example of why it's better to read such series in order, for here we see again many of the characters we met in book #2, solving the murders in Callender Square. This time around, however, the scene of the grisly crimes is the Devil's Acre, a patch of urban blight and sordidness where pimps, crooks, and lawlessness are in control, though it's geographically close to the Palace of Westminster. Someone is not just maniacally hacking ...more
Tiger
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perry once again examines the mores and morality of Victorian England. In her seventh book, which brings back characters from an earlier piece (Callender Square), a doctor is found brutally murdered and sexually mutilated in the unsavory section of London aptly named “Devil’s Acre.” Additional victims appear with stunning frequency, ranging from a respectable doctor, to a blackmailing footman turned pimp. Perry keeps the suspense high, while engaging her readers in a thoughtful debate on the cla ...more
Lisa
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-perry
Yet another Charlotte and Thomas Pitt mystery where Charlotte uses her sister's society connections to help solve some especially brutal murders. This book has other elements that make the story interesting and allow one to overlook this repetitive plot device. Perry seems to want to remind readers that all was not rosy in Victorian England, and by extension, in our time, but she is not overly didactic about it, and it is good to be shocked when something is shocking and appalling.
Rae
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Perry is a master at capturing the atmosphere of Victorian England. Her own past makes her especially able to write poignantly about violent crimes as well as justice and mercy. Before she joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, she was involved (as an accomplice) in the murder of her friend's mother. She is now a very proper British citizen living on the coasts of England. I have heard her speak twice and absolutely adore her! If you enjoy mysteries, these are some of the best.
Pepe Barrascout
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Como todas las obras de Anne Perry de la serie del Inspector Pitt, totalmente impredecible el final y con una gran cantidad de suspenso.

Muy entretenido y el texto deja con ganas de leer siempre un poco más, para saber en que termina cada escena.

Recomendado.
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I keep reading these, and I don't know why...
Delores
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
totally awesome!
Renny
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another mile a minute mystery dealing with the consequences of greedy and destructive choices. I thought the ending a little abrupt and not managed as smoothly as previous books read to date.
Annabelle Solt
Thomas & Charlotte Pitt investigate murders in Victorian England. I enjoy this series.
Poetreehugger
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow Anne Perry makes Victorian London come alive, with believable characters, interesting interactions among them, historical detail and attitudes, and intriguing plot lines withal. This instalment finished with such a dramatic crash and bang that I am immediately reaching for the next paperback in the series.
Teri
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the last one

I liked this book better than the last one. Now that I've read so many in the series, I guess I'll just keep reading.
Priya
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Hermioneginny
Un medico viene ritrovato in uno dei quartieri più malfamati di Londra, orrendamente mutilato. Quando muoiono anche un ruffiano, ex cameriere, e un aristocratico, tocca a Pitt indagare. Ovviamente Charlotte non riesce a trattenere la sua curiosità...

Adatto per le lunghe e afose notti estive, non mi piace per niente come Pitt tratta sua moglie, troppo autoritario!

* Era comprensibile, anche se crudele, dare inizio a una relazione perché attirati da un seno procace o dalla curva di un fianco. Ma co
Betty
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alternating between edge of your seat action & period introspection, this mystery involves a series of mutilation murders of men occurring in the seediest part of London. Inspector Pitt must find the murderer and keep his wife Charlotte from investigating on her own. When it appears society women are somehow involved, both tasks will prove daunting for him. Good mystery but abrupt ending.
Gilda
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The general plot and character development was relatively fair (not the author's best). Most disappointing was the abrupt ending. It was as if the author was suddenly tired of writing, and thus decided to conclude the story (mystery) within the last TWO PAGES. As a result, the general storyline was made less creditable. I can only hope that several pages were missing from my e-reader.
Ashley
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan Anderson
Death in the Devil’s Acre is the seventh book in Anne Perry’s Thomas and Charlotte Pitt historical mystery series is an intoxicating thriller from start to finish with mesmerizing characters.

A doctor of good standing and impeccable character is found slashed to death in the Devil’s Acre, one of Victorian London’s slums near the docks. Then another body is found with the same calling card. And another.

Pitt is called on to investigate. Recurring characters figure prominently in this mystery, espec
Jamie Collins
Once in a while I need a quick Anne Perry fix. Her books are well written and atmospheric, with enough plot and characterization to hold my interest, although they are all very similar and predictable. As long as I allow some space between books I enjoy them well enough.

I’m still waiting for the quality of these early Thomas Pitt books to catch up to that of the William Monk series.

The Devil’s Acre was a Victorian-era slum near Westminster Abbey in London. Murder isn’t particularly noteworthy th
Katy M
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my. This one shows you can't ever really hide or hide from the past.

I never put spoilers in my reviews.
Anne Perry is a master of the written word. Every word, phrase, paragraph is placed for maximum effect. There is no filler or waste. She has obviously researched the era exhaustively. Her insight into the human condition is uncanny.
There are always many layers to her tales. The main storyline is Pitt and Charlotte, his police work and the mystery of the case he's working on in the particular
Pat
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subject of this Pitt go-round is simply the plight of 1870s women, and their complicity in their problems. Prostitutes, of course, are forced into their trade by poverty. Society women are bought and sold to the highest bidder--but we do not call THAT prostitution. The prettiest face at the debutantes' coming-out ball wins the prize: the richest husband, even if the resulting marriage is loveless and unfulfilling.
Women denied careers and any real life outside the home are frustrated, bitchy,
Tocotin
When I read, I had an overwhelming, claustrophobic feeling of being in a dusty, dark, narrow place. The book had no breath, and despite the use of Victorian slang and the descriptions of tableware and gowns, everything felt wrong. The aristocrats, particularly the general's family, behaved and talked in such a vulgar way that it made me wince, several times. The conversations Christina had with her father - an army general! - were simply unbelievable. The poor general was ridiculed more than onc ...more
Sue
I have been sending these books off on bookmooch as soon as I finish them, but if we keep encountering previous characters, I may need to keep them around for reference. This book involves some grisly murders in the Devil's Acre and a cast of characters from the murders in Callender Square. The murders are ghastly and Pitt is disturbed and having a hard time cracking the case. Charlotte and Emily work their side as the murders involve Society figures and they are better positioned to gather info ...more
Anne Hawn Smith
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a doctor is found in Devil's Acre, dead and horribly mutilated, Thomas Pitt is called to the scene, but that is just the beginning of the murders. One after another, men who don't belong in the area are found mutilated in the same way. When some of the men killed are known to Charlotte and Emily's circle, the two sisters once again attempt to find the clue that unites them and provides the solution.

As things escalate, Charlotte and Emily are exposing themselves to ever increasing danger and
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3)
  • A Long Shadow (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #8)
Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry," the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several categories of genre fiction, including historical murder mysteries and detective fiction. Many of them feature a number of recurrin
More about Anne Perry...

Charlotte & Thomas Pitt (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
  • Callander Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #2)
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • Resurrection Row  (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #4)
  • Rutland Place (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #5)
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Cardington Crescent (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #8)
  • Silence in Hanover Close (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #9)
  • Bethlehem Road (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #10)
  • Highgate Rise (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #11)
“We’ll hardly be in a position to discover much if they know you are married to a policeman!” she pointed out. “Let alone the very policeman who is investigating the murders. Added to which, it will do no harm for the general to see you as still unmarried.” 0 likes