Start by marking “Trap Line” as Want to Read:
Trap Line

Trap Line (Black Lizard #2)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,893 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
A Key West fishing captain takes on Florida’s drug lords in this crime novel from the New York Times–bestselling author of Bad Monkey.

Though he is one of Key West’s most skilled fishing captains, Breeze Albury barely ekes out a living on the meager earnings of his trade. Meanwhile, Cuban and Colombian drug smugglers thrive all around—and they have their sights set on Albu
Published December 28th 2010 by Open Road Media Mystery Thriller (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Trap Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trap Line

Aaron
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hiaasen and his writing partner Montalbano bring readers to Key West, Florida, to experience how the fishing industry is struggling as they present the story of Breeze Albury. Breeze is actually a pretty good fishing boat captain, but like so many, he struggles to make ends meet. That is one reason why he took a risk and got involved with the local pot trade. It ended up with him doing some short time in the clink. Since coming out, he has focused on his fishing career and his son, an all-star b ...more
Spencer Abbott
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While teeming with typical Hiaasen elements, Trap Line is a bit more hard-boiled and violent than his usual fair (one can presume this might be a result of the presence of Bill Montalbano, who shares co-authorship, but it's hard to tell where his prose begins and Hiaasen's ends). Some of the transitions are a little shaky, which leads to momentary bouts of confusion in terms of keeping some plot points and characters straight. Speaking on the latter, there's quite a few characters introduced thr ...more
Mike French
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trap Line is the second novel that Carl Hiaasen and Bill Montalbano co-wrote. While it doesn't have the humour of his Skunk books,it is a very enjoyable read!
Donna
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of crime and entrapment and how quickly things can go wrong. A good mystery, with corruption, smuggling, and a flawed hero, trying to make the best of his life and take care of his son. This is an early Hiaasen, written with Bill Montalbano, and is more of a crime novel than his later works, but the development of quirky characters is still there. I enjoyed the book.
Donna LaValley
This was published in 1982; Hiaasen wrote it with Bill Montalbano. It is not at all like Hiaasen's solo novels with laugh-out-loud lines and situations. It does have a complicated plot, very very bad guys, and somewhat suitable revenge upon most of them. However, it has some brutality and violence that would be objectionable to most readers, and is quite over the top on the testosterone scale - not that there's anything wrong with that! It's a worthy genre and sometimes I like it, just as I enjo ...more
Kelly
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all of Carl Hiaasen's other books, so it was fun to look at a book he co-wrote 30 years ago. The authorial voice of his later work is certainly present, but the ridiculous hilarity of his villains—for which he is so well known today—is notably absent. What we're left with is a decent little thriller (albeit a comparatively humorless one), which ain't nothing to sneer at.

An additional oddity: the little anti-gay slurs peppered throughout the text aren't necessarily distracting, but the
Trevor Mcpherson
Well crafted, but the Hiaasen humour I've come to know and love merely peeked out from a few characters. What I liked most about this was the length. What ever happened to the 250-280 page novel? The story wasn't lacking, and I wasn't left thinking: "gee, I wish there was another 100 pages of deep reflection and soul searching by the protagonist, or perhaps an increase in lengthy exposition to really make this book worthwhile."
K.D. Parker
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little different than the other books Hiaasen has written. It lacked a lot of the humor that his other books have; also the environmental aspect. But I still liked it a lot. It was a fun read. By the way, my favorite Hiaasen novel is "Skintight." If you like "Trap Line," check that book out. The heavy is a guy named "Chemo!"
Mary Mullane
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't believe I found a Carl Hiaasen book I hadn't read. It doesn't have as much wicked laugh-out-loud humor as his later more environmental books do, but it still had the twists & satisfying revenge.
Joan Pasco
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard not to like a Carl Hiaasen book in my opinion. This one was very different from the others I have read - more serious than humorous, but a good read.
Amy
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fiction, florida
Carl Hiaasen's 2nd title published with William Montalbano (1982); this is the first one I've read from their collaboration, and so it is the earliest Hiaasen book I've ever read. I can definitely see signs of greatness to come from his later work. Trap Line is a short but fast-paced tale of intrigue in the South Florida world of drugs, kidnapping, shootings, explosions, and romance. Not yet present are Hiaasen's more colorful characters (notably, Skink) nor his environmental awareness. Still, h ...more
John L
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm kind of amused at all the reviewers who don't realize this is early Hiaasen, when he was transitioning from crime columns to crime fiction and had not yet developed his unique voice. With one or two small exceptions, it's devoid of the wacky humor and larger-than-life characters that make his solo work so great; worse, it highlights the fact that, once you get past those, his plots aren't all that complex or even memorable. The satirical nature of his solo work more than compensates for thes ...more
Carol
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read. I am a fan of Hiaasen and his books about Florida. This was not his usual mystery filled with laugh out loud antics. Co-written in 1982 with Bill Montalbano, this book was darker and more violent. The story takes place in Key West and speaks of the problems of the times. Dope, crooked cops and a fisherman named Breeze Albury along with a handful of Conchs willing to fight the Machine..
Pamela
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

It's been a long time since I read one of his books, but I really like them. There are so many books and great authors that I can't keep up with my favorites because I don't have as much time as in the past.

Michael Norwitz
Co-written by Hiaasen and reporter/author Bill Montalbano, this is standard issue thriller for him. Competently done, as is typical not much in the way of women with any kind of articulate viewpoint, but without the weirdness or black humor which marks many of his books.
Rhonda
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun little thriller, set in the Keys. Breeze Albury is a fisherman, who is one of the good guys in a town gone bad. He is blackmailed and suckered into a smuggling gug, which goes from bad to worse.
Nancy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not Carl's usual tongue-in-cheek murder mystery/satire, but a straight-up crime drama. As such, it was just ho-hum. Rather pointless, unless you are really interested in the life of a fisherman in the Florida Keys.
Alexis
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fran Webster
Fair.

Not as good as other Hiassen works. Flimsy characters, gratuitous violence. Meh. Give me Skink or Mick Stranahan any day.
Alfred St
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun

Fascinating and full of intrigue. Great characters, interesting story, but somewhat sad in the end. Overall, it tells a very believable story of Key West characters.
James Anderson
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable

Bad guys. good guys . The last sunset in the south. What's not to like. Never been to the keys myself.
Laarin
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Father set up to run illegals and then double crossed. Not my favorite book. Never really got too attached or invested in any of the characters.
Ian D. Fetigan
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it

Another well written and fun read. These co authored stories are better than expected. Makes me want to visit Key West.
Elaine
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darker than the other Carl Hiaasen books I've read.
Jeffrey Corwin
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice Hiaasen read... maybe a bit predictable; but definitely enjoyable.
Brian
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Trap Line is an enthralling story in which captain Breezy is trying to live a simple fisherman/boat captain’s existence until the organized crime aka the Machine decides to use him to smuggle immigrants. When Breezy, once fated to spend his life in prison, receives a chance to honor his family, he does not hesitate a moment. His task is made difficult by the corruption from the drug smugglers. Trap Line is good mix of serious action and humor, while at the same time highlights gays rights.
Kara Jorges
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breeze Albury was basically an honest man until the machinations of the Machine (the Cubans) and a group of Colombians toss him into a high stakes game. When nearly all his trap lines are cut while his bills mount, Breeze takes a side job delivering a load of pot. He smells a set-up just a little too late, and finds himself in an even deeper mess. When the Machine plots with the Colombians to do away with him, Breeze, his girlfriend Laurie, and a number of fed-up Key West residents devise a plan ...more
Alan Mills
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Another wonderful tale of Justice triumphing

Carl Hiaasen writes about south Florida being destroyed by greed: greedy developers, politicians, law enforcement, and criminals. But in the end, Justice....at least his version...triumphs. Trap Line is no exception.

A veteran fisherman is beset by bad luck...which of course turns out to be a nefarious plot to blackmail him into some illegal activity. Along the way, we meet a hugely overweight, and thoroughly corrupt chief of police, a gay do-gooder, a
Kara Prem
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breeze Albury is a fisherman in Key West who is struggling to make ends meet. At one other point, he delivered a load of drugs in hope of making some much needed money, got caught and served time. He doesn't want to do that again, but someone has cut all of his traps, leaving him unable to pay the bills. So he decides to make one more run, and gets caught again. The syndicate that he was making a run for provides a dirt bag lawyer who offers a deal - make a special run to move some Colombians in ...more
Sep 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blech.
  • Bones of Coral
  • The Wake-Up
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Virgin Heat (Key West, #5)
  • The Riptide Ultra-Glide (Serge Storms, #16)
  • Dark Light (Doc Ford Mystery, #13)
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida. After graduating from the University of Florida, he began writing for the Miami Herald. As a journalist and author, Carl has spend most of his life advocating the protection of the Florida Everglades. He and his family still live in southern Florida.
More about Carl Hiaasen...

Black Lizard (3 books)
  • Powder Burn
  • A Death in China

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • The Husband
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00