Start by marking “Make Out with Murder” as Want to Read:
Make Out with Murder

Make Out with Murder (Chip Harrison #3)

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  143 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The lady-friend of an assistant to a peculiar PI dies mysteriously, and her grieving boyfriend must investigate her own family to find the killer

The ever-randy hero of No Score and Chip Harrison Scores Again has gone to New York City to work for master detective Leo Haig, a Nero Wolfe wannabe who needs Chip Harrison as his Archie Goodwin. Chip’s main squeeze is Melanie,
Published December 28th 2010 by Open Road Media Mystery & Thriller (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Make Out with Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Out with Murder

Mike
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lawrence Block's homage (of sorts) to Rex Stout and Nero Wolfe. It doesn't so much imitate as try to update (circa 1974) the basic story concept. It comes across as something of a low rent, almost seedy Nero Wolfe knock-off with a lot of sex going on. At times it seems more satire than homage while at other times it just seems odd. If I were the kind of person who gave up easily I would have cast this book aside in the first 30 pages, it just wasn't appealing to me... frankly, if it weren't writ ...more
Rob Kitchin
First published in 1974, Five Little Rich Girls was published in the US as Make Out With Murder. It’s a somewhat tongue-in-cheek PI tale, with a fair splattering of in-gags for fans of crime fiction, with the central character’s boss being a mystery novel aficionado seeking to ape the success and notoriety of Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe amongst others. The tale is written in the first person from the perspective of Chip Harrison, a high school drop-out and street smart young man, who investig ...more
Mark Wesling
Total fluff. good when you need a mindless read.
Barry
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enormously enjoyable pastiche of the Nero Wolfe books. Well done and pleasant
Patrick
The mystery of Makeout With Murder was interesting enough, and the conceit that Haig was a mystery novel aficionado, obsessed to the point that he believed Nero Wolfe was a real person, was frankly awesome. So, that part was good. But, Chip Harrison? He's the narrator. And, for the most part he's written well, and has some nice breaking the wall moments that make for a different sort of novel. But, the sex? His constant erections got kind of distracting and seemed pretty stupid. Full disclosure: ...more
Jo Jenner
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Lawrence Block has to be one of the first, if not the first, writer of fan fiction. Leo Haig is trying to be Nero Wolfe. He actually think Nero Wolfe exists. He is his own genius but everything else about him is him trying to be Nero Wolfe.
Block has a wonderful style and even gets the narrator, Haig's legman Chip Harrison to promote his previous books. They are really Chip's previous books, so it isn't block try the hard sell it's Chip.
Brilliant.
This is not the best thing I ha
Ed
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#3 in the Chip Harrison series. APA "Five Little Rich Girls", this 1974 series entry is the 3rd of 4 for this short lived Block character. Amusing, with Chip's boss Leo Haig a Nero Wolfe parody.

Chip Harrison is settling in as assistant to detective Leo Haig. Chip discovers the body of his girlfriend, Melanie Trelawney. Chip and Leo are suspicious, especially considering the previous "accidental" deaths of two of Melanie's four sisters. Determined to protect the remaining Trelawney siblings, Chip
Chris Birdy
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was enjoyable. I'm still not sure if it was a satire on the Nero Wolf mysteries or if Lawrence Block was paying homage to the fat genius. Either way, it was entertaining. I loved the way all the suspects were gathered in a room for the grand finale - pure nostalgia. Although it's not one of his best works, Make our with Murder is certainly worth a read..
Jim
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I very much like the Matthew Scudder series, and years ago I read the first two Chip Harrison books. This is a quick read, redeemed primarily by the many references to other mystery authors and characters.
Katherine Clark
Jun 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Lawrence Block. I love his Matt Scudder series, and I also love his Burglar cozy series. But, I did not like this book.

Standalone. I so wanted to like this book. It is a piece of 1960s/1970s sex fluff (nothing wrong with that--just didn't live up to Block) and I am sorry I finished it.
Mary
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the new characters. Always enjoy reading his books.
Paul Unruh
Old series. Not his best.
Patrick
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another cozy mystery only like many Block novels it's also got a bit of soft core sex in it. They pretty much go together like chocolate and peanut butter. Yummy.
Denise M.
Sep 27, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: block-lawrence
AKA: Sheldon Lord, Jill Emerson, Paul Kavanaugh, Chip Harrison, Lawrence Block
Kevin Connery
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Very early Block, but with his usual charm. Chip Harrison as the leg-man for stay-at-home investigator Leo Haig.
Cindy
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting plot, ends well. A smart tale, well told. Graphic sex - lots of it. Sloughing thru it to the end, too much trouble for me. Audiobook is well read.
Karl
Dec 19, 2011
Mark
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Hearse of a Different Color (Hitchcock Sewell Mysteries, #2)
  • Killing Castro (Hard Case Crime #51)
  • Where is Janice Gantry?
  • His Name Was Death
  • Watch Your Back! (Dortmunder, #13)
  • The Moon in the Gutter
  • Songs of Innocence (John Blake #2)
  • Plunder Squad (Parker, #15)
  • The Bullet Trick
  • The Necropolis Railway (Jim Stringer, #1)
  • The Woman Chaser
  • The Real Cool Killers (Harlem Cycle, #2)
Lawrence Block has been writing crime, mystery, and suspense fiction for more than half a century. He has published in excess (oh, wretched excess!) of 100 books, and no end of short stories.

Born in Buffalo, N.Y., LB attended Antioch College, but left before completing his studies; school authorities advised him that they felt he’d be happier elsewhere, and he thought this was remarkably perceptiv
More about Lawrence Block...

Chip Harrison (4 books)
  • No Score (Chip Harrison, #1)
  • Chip Harrison Scores Again (Chip Harrison, #2)
  • The Topless Tulip Caper (Chip Harrison, #4)