Start by marking “The Intruders (Jake Grafton, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Intruders (Jake Grafton, #6)

The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  1,671 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews

The thriller from New York Times bestselling author Stephen Coonts—now available as an ebook

A war-weary Navy pilot confronts the deadly skies of the South Pacific, training Marine pilots and battling Soviets MiGs in the wake of the Vietnam War

Fighter pilot Jake Grafton is adrift following combat in Vietnam. With no place in the States to call home, Grafton sticks to wha
Published November 30th 2010 by Open Road Media Mystery Thriller (first published October 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Intruders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intruders

Geoff Battle
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those familiar with the previous (or indeed latter) Jake Grafton escapades will know what to expect. Intense detail around the military hardware and processes aid the delivery of a traditional action-adventure yarn at sea. In less deft hands such minutiae may disengage the reader from the story however Coonts blends it with ease and produces a technically proficient scenario, utilising the hardware to create compelling danger. Grafton, the rebellious and talented pilot is fascinating and The Int ...more
Robert
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a lover of Naval aviation, so damn near any author of its experience could sell me a book. I read this because I enjoyed "Flight of the Intruder", but it wasn't nearly as well structured or interesting. It's kind of the beating of a tired horse.
It's worth a read for the love of the characters, not so much for the story.
Samuel Sieja
I believe this one is a bit better then the first one in the series. I think the writing is improving as the story goes, but it took all of this book to get to where I wanted to continue with the series. The plot in this book was pretty vague, the author seems to be more interested in telling Jake Grafton's story in a series of books then to have solid plots for each book. This one hinged on Jake's future in the Navy, was he going to stay with the program or get out and find civilian work. In th ...more
Beth
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly slow moving look at Jake Grafton's early life.
Quentin Stewart
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who are fans of Jake Grafton this is an excellent book to add to your collection. We find Jake shortly after the Vietnam War ended courting his one true love and struggling, during a cruise aboard an aircraft carrier, with a decision on whether to stay in the Navy or not. I learned a lot about the operations on a carrier during peace time and the cycles that the personnel on board go through. I think it is interesting for the technical aspects that Coonts brings into the book. There ar ...more
Keith Vandenbergh
Coonts does a great job of describing the action on a U S Marine Corps air craft carrier with enough excitement to keep you turning pages and enough technical background (pushing too much at times) to help the reader understand the complexity of the systems and the dangers involved. What Coonts fails to do in the Intruders is to provide an interesting enough story line to tie all of the action together. I kept waiting for the big event that would pull together the entire story and unify it at th ...more
Dustin
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With this being a sequel to a very successful novel, I had a fear that it would be a carbon copy of the first, or a general let down. After all, the war that they were fighting in the first book was over, and it looked like you couldn't expect much. What made the book so good was that in spite of that, you still got a great story, with an established lead, and a great new character. The inner conflict of what a warrior without a fight has to do next is presented well, and the fact that his secon ...more
Graham Bates
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Military Fiction Buffs, Jake Grafton Fans
When it's peacetime, the battles are all internal.

The Intruders is an interesting, technical read about pilots on an aircraft carrier in the 1970s, but fails to provide a single, captivating story. It's as if the equipment was the protagonist and Grafton were there to add a human element.

*After doing some research and reading another of the Jake Grafton series I realized this novel gave the back-story to Grafton's time in the military. It does give the novel more lenience for not having a strong
Don
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a narrative primer on aircraft carriers and naval aviation than a novel, but very fun if you are in a military-techno mood. Reading on an iPad or other reader that allows you to mark text and switch back and forth with Wikipedia is CRITICAL to enjoyment if you really want to be able to form mental images of the different aircraft, equipment, and technologies involved. Also, you need a search capability to get back to the meaning of the many acronyms used. No glossary, so reading paper wo ...more
Jeff Stevens
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-fiction
I enjoyed the heck out of this book for the very simple reason that I love stories about naval aviation. There's not an overarching plot so much as a series of true stories that all happen to Jake Grafton or his shipmates. It gave what I felt like was an insight into the challenges of being in the dream job of so many of us. It is a life I thought I wanted at one point in my life, so I enjoyed seeing a glimpse into what it may actually be like.
Daniel Bratell
The second (or sixth?) book about Jake Grafton. This is a direct followup to the first book, Flight of the Intruder, but written a bit later than many of the other Jake Grafton books.

It's another page turner but I will never call it a quality book. It's just a good, relaxing, entertaining military story. The Vietnam War is over but American carriers are still patrolling the seven seas and carrier aviation keeps being very dangerous by itself.

Seth
Jan 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-fiction
Although published with many more modern stories in between, this is the actual sequel to Flight of the Intruder. Some of the humor and charachter development has returned from the original novel, but not enough of it unfortunately. In the end of the novel, Jake and his new bombadiere navigator must escape the grips of modern Asian pirates. This segment of the novel is fun, and owes more to the cartoon themed Grafton stories than it does to Flight of the Intruder
Francis T. Villante
Boring

the first 60percent of this book was all technical. if I wanted that I would have have looked up the schematics of the A 6 and a aircraft carrier. it was the most boring Stephen counts bok I ever read. I would like my money back for what I spent on what I thought would be an interesting Jake Grafton novel. I would not recommend t h is book at all. I couldn't even waste my time finishing this book. I don't recommend it at all. and I am a big Stephen counts fan.
Jack Jackson
In this followup to Flight of the Intruder, Stephen Coonts brings many of the same characters back to continue the tale of naval aviator Jake Grafton. In this ongoing series, Coonts provides a fairly detailed description of what life at sea can be like for a Navy pilot, and he does so from personal experience. If you are a fan of military fiction, particularly from the Navy perspective, this is likely a good series for you to continue through.
Steve
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
early days of jake Grafton.
Just finished Viet Nam.
His girl friend's dad is a college prof who is on the left and most hostile to people who fought in viet nam.
Jake goes on a marine carrier.
Too much time telling me way too much about the deck of the carrier, about the planes.
TMI
as we say in 2014.
but, a good story when he stayed on plot.
Walt Mccluskey
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Intruders

Read this book if you enjoy what seems like an autobiography of a military pilot. This was a truly great depiction of the thoughts and actions of a young man trying to find his slot in life but described as only a person living on the edge of death could do. Obviously an easy book to recommend.
Steve
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an OK book if you are interested in learning about how an aircraft carrier works. For a fiction book there was not a lot of drama or story. The book is kind of like a bunch of short stories about carriers and airplanes. Sometimes things are routine, sometimes there are problems. The very last portion of the book is a short story thriller that was interesting though.
Andreas
Apr 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Coonts used to fly A-6 Intruders of carriers. This makes him, per definition, a cool guy. Pity that he forgot to throw in a plot in this novel. If you like planes, you will probably enjoy it anyway. Coonts’ hero Jake Grafton meets his wife in this novel. There, I gave half the “plot” away.

kenneth  h.  robinson
Two Oceans and Three Continents

Jake Grafton really gets involved during a six month cruise as he gets to share some of his hard earned competence earned during flying years over Vietnam. Several tense situations arise during the rigorous training it takes to stay more than competent to deal with any situation.
George
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting tactical treatment of post Vietnam aircraft carrier operations. Our hero, Lt Jake Grafton, goes on a cruise, worries about his girlfriend, fights pirates and the Soviets while cementing his relationship with a Marine snake-eating bombardier-navigator. Full of Navy jargon, each word well explained. The book is an exciting listen from beginning to end.
Chuck
This is an early Coonts work, and not as good as others. It's mostly a story about air sorties and things that go wrong. In many places, Coonts describes a technical detail or observation, and then just a few pages later states the same thing again. Poor editing and annoying.
Brenda
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coonts-stephen
I enjoyed this book, the description of what is going on made me feel I was watching a movie vs reading a book. I enjoyed learning how Jake got from the "first book" to Admiral. He seemed to grow as a character and it was interesting to see his relationhship with Flap.

Diane Wachter
The Intruders, Jake Grafton Series Bk 2, Stephen Coontz, RDC-M #1-95, 3/95. A crack Navy pilot survives the Vietnam War and wonders why he is still flying dangerous missions aboard an aircraft carrier. Okay.
Dana Sahm
If you can get through the first half, it's a good book. However, 90% of the first have was a boring recitation of naval and carrier operations. As I read the dirt half, I kept asking myself what the point was of the story...once the plot was revealed, it was too shallow.
Bob
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Plot is OK

But technical detail is mind numbing at points and slows the plot to a crawl. Great read for aviation buffs who want to know ever detail of carrier flying in the '70's. Not so great for everyone else.
Dennis
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, though not as much as Flight of the Intruder and Final Flight. This is more of a day to day account of life on an aircraft carrier and some of the detail was a bit much for me. However, there was certainly some excitement along the way!
Edward Stark
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to put down

This continues the saga of a Naval pilot. This gives you a insight to the men who fly these Naval aircraft and the high stress that they endure. A hard to put down story that pulls you in.
Lois
Nov 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
very technical in some aspects and not what I was expecting but was an interesting read. It did get a bit unbelievable at times with the number of near misses but you really get to like the protaganist and his side kick. This was one of Kindle's daily deals, so it was a long shot to start
Elyse
I used to love the Deep Black series by Stephen Coonts, so decided to try some of his earlier novels (since they're available as e-books from my library).

A fun read with Jake Grafton as the main character, but there was too much detailed aviation stuff in this for me - couldn't absorb it.
Peter Charleston
Very technical about the aircraft carrier and the planes in the 70's. Delivers the message concerning the transformation of a wartime to peacetime military. I found the characters well founded, a good plot and an enjoyable reading adventure.
  • Chains of Command
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...

Jake Grafton (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton #1)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton #3)
  • The Minotaur (Jake Grafton #4)
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton #5)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton #7)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton #8)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)
  • Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11; Tommy Carmellini #7)