Start by marking “The Light Keeper's Legacy (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
The Light Keeper's Legacy (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #3)

The Light Keeper's Legacy (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #3)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  435 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Past and Present Collide Beyond Death's Door

Solitude at last! Museum curator Chloe Ellefson leaps at the opportunity to be a consultant for the historic lighthouse restoration project on Rock Island, a state park in Wisconsin's scenic Door County. Hoping to leave her personal and professional problems at home, Chloe's tranquility is suddenly spoiled when a dead woman washe
Published October 2012 by Midnight Ink (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Light Keeper's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light Keeper's Legacy

Dee Gurganus
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have found another excellent mystery writer in Kathleen Ernst. It took me a few chapters to get hooked on this story but once I did, it was hard to put it down. Chloe is a museum curator with a knack for finding death bodies. My initial draw to this book was the Lighthouse theme. This one on Lake Michigan and is located in a park that is only accessible by boat. The story bounces from present day to the 1800's view point of people who lived on the island. This helped to understand what Chloe w ...more
LORI CASWELL
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Museum curator Chloe Ellefson leaps at the opportunity to be a consultant for the historical lighthouse restoration project on Rock Island. She needs a little time to herself and the tranquility of the Door County state park seems perfect. She will be able to sort through her personal and professionals problems while she attacks the assignment given to her by RISC, the Rock Island Support Circle.

The idyllic place loses its luster though when a dead woman washes ashore below the lighthouse. Now i
Elizabeth
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Chloe Ellefson mystery series and so far, I liked this one the best.

I loved learning about Rock Island! It makes me want to visit there someday.

I also loved how just about every other chapter was the story of two women on the island during the 1870's-1910. Emily Betts and Ragna Anderson's stories are very important connections to the present stories.

Of course Chloe can't go anywhere without finding a dead body or two!

I liked Chloe's character best in this book. The
Kim
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'd love to give this 6 stars! I loved this book and am enjoying the series. I could not put this book down. The plot was amazing. I loved flipping back and forth between what happened in the past vs what was going on in real time. The series is set in the 1980s and there are no cell phones or computers to help the sleuth and I find that so refreshing. For those who like historical fiction with their cozy - this series is highly recommended!
Doward Wilson
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-contest
A fascinating read that will keep you turning the pages while trying to figure out an old and a new murder! The year is 1982 and Chloe Ellefson is a collections curator at Old World Wisconsin. She is currently on loan to another state agency filling in as a guest curator at the lighthouse on Rock Island State Park in Door County, Wisconsin. She will be camping in the lighthouse with no electricity, running water or any other modern facilities.

Now we jump back in time to 1869 and meet Ragna Ander
Cathy Cole
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
First Line: "This trip of yours is a very bad idea," Roelke said soberly.

It's 1982, and against her boyfriend Roelke McKenna's better judgment, Chloe Ellefson loads her Pinto (including the copy of A Is for Alibi that Roelke gave her) and heads for Rock Island State Park off the coast of Wisconsin in Lake Michigan. Her expertise as a collections curator is needed by the folks who want to bring Pottawatomie Lighthouse back to life for all its visitors.

It's good that she's needed elsewhere because
Biblio Files (takingadayoff)
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember why I read the first book in this mystery series about a curator at an open air history museum in Wisconsin. It takes place in 1982, the main character is a tightly wound 32 year old woman just off a bad relationship, and she's taken a job in a new town to make a fresh start. The romantic interest is a tightly wound cop on the local small town police force. That book was Old World Murder. I have no particular interest in Wisconsin or its history, and I've been to one open air mu ...more
Sara
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this up at a tiny bookstore on Washington Island because I love getting books on vacation by local authors. Turns out, the author lives in Middleton so she's more local in regards to my apartment than Door County. No matter, the mystery takes place on Rock Island which is a mile off the tip of Washington Island and the main character is a curator so I was still well satisfied as far as learning some history of the place I'd just been.

The writing and story were surprisingly good! Now tha
AmniconStudio
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2013
I've read the first two books in this series and this third book did not disappoint.

I was pulled into the story right away and read it in less than a week. I probably would have finished it sooner, but most of my spare time right now is going toward a different project.

The author has a wonderful way of weaving two stories into one book and when you are done reading the book you see how they tie together. It's an interesting way to learn a piece of history of Wisconsin as well.

The main characte
Joyce
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
History and mystery is a good combination that Kathleen Ernst does a nice job of in “The Light Keeper's Legacy”, and her message of preserving all aspects of history, from all viewpoints is important.

Alternate chapters go back in time to the 1800s, telling the stories of the inhabitants of Rock Island; tidbits of the the keepers lives of Pottawatomie Lighthouse and the surrounding fishing village. Curator Chloe Ellefson is happy to be loaned out to investigate an old lighthouse, until her trip t
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • Skating Under the Wire (Rebecca Robbins, #4)
  • Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)
  • To Love and to Perish (Broken Vows, #4)
  • Ready, Scrap, Shoot (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #6)
  • January Thaw
  • Wicked Eddies (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #2)
  • Jump the Gun (An Annabelle Starkey Mystery #1)
  • Threads of Evidence (Mainely Needlepoint, #2)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Thread on Arrival (An Embroidery Mystery, #5)
  • Dharma Road: A Short Cab Ride to Self Discovery
  • Quilt or Innocence (Southern Quilting Mystery #1)
  • Dark Tide
  • Sins of the Fathers (Family Tree, #2)
  • Tattered Legacy
  • Blood, Ash, and Bone
  • Pickle in the Middle Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #3)
I grew up in Maryland, in a house full of books! Both of my parents were avid readers, thank goodness. Before we traveled to a new area, my librarian-mom used to bring home historical novels set in that place. It was a great way to get excited about history.

I began writing stories when I was maybe 10 or 11. At 15 I wrote my first novel; I sold my first novel to a publisher 20 years later! Writing
More about Kathleen Ernst...

Chloe Ellefson Mystery (8 books)
  • Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1)
  • The Heirloom Murders (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #2)
  • Heritage of Darkness (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #4)
  • Tradition of Deceit (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #5)
  • Death on the Prairie (Chloe Ellefson Mystery, #6)
  • A Memory of Muskets