Start by marking “Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses, #1)

Shadows of the Canyon

(Desert Roses #1)

Book 1 of the Desert Roses series. Working as a Harvey Girl at the luxury resort of El Tovar, located on the south rim of the Grand Canyon, Alexandra Keegan feels she is in a dream come true. But when her father's indiscretions come to light and her mother is suspected of murder, Alex finds herself the center of some unwelcome attention. Will she soon find herself alone in ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of the Canyon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of the Canyon

Start your review of Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses, #1)
Barbara
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Alexandria Keegan is tired of her father's philandering ways. She is a Harvey Girl at an exclusive hotel in the Grand Canyon, El Tovar, and her father now has political aspirations. Alex wants to leave the area with her mother but that would mean leaving behind lovesick cowboy Luke Toland, who has fallen head over heels in crush with Alexandria.

A political convention of sorts comes to El Tovar and Alexandria is forced to fend off the unwelcome attention of Joel Harper, a slimy political aide,
Gina Hott
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hott Synopsis:
Alexandria Keegan just cant get away from philandering, womanizing, selfish men! Her father has shown her from day one how destructive they are and she will not allow herself to be in the same position as her mother is now!
Saving her money so that she can hide her mother from her fathers promiscuous ways, Alexandra cant help but think that marriage is a trap. But when shes faced with the unwanted advances of an already engaged political aid and her father advises Alexandra to
Kathryn
Dec 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Teri
The story of this book was very fun. I learned about an aspect of travel I had never even heard of, they were a chain of restaurants and hotels that catered to the railway travelers at the turn of the century. They were called the Harvey House Restaurants and they were run by the Fred Harvey Company. The specific hotel in this book was called El Tovar and was on the rim of the Grand Canyon and is still there today, although it is run by another company. I generally enjoy religious fiction, ...more
Ashlee
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have read a lot of Tracie's books, and I just love them! I was very drawn into this book, especially since I love historical romance! It's not as good as some of her newer books(or even book #1 of her New Mexico Sunrise series, which isn't new at all), but this one was really good, nevertheless. I just fell in love with Luke...and how he had to fight for Alexs' love? Love it! It was a little predictable, but it's still totally worth reading!

I have the 3-in-1 series, and I tried to read the
Dianne Sidebottom
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
trust a politician? Yes I can believe the writer it her story.
Even though women had the vote men did not want to give up control over them. They were useful tools for many husband/father. The damage to the children in watching the men flirt, use women and keep their wives home, belittling them, yet many got their wealth through marriage.
the writer certainly portrayed the fear, suspicion, traitor/disloyalty. Joel in this story had no conscience of life being sacred, no fear of consequences, seen
Stacia
May 15, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a typical Tracie Peterson book. I think I enjoy her newer ones better, but they always are fun. She usually has overly horrid, evil antagonists that always want to harm/hurt/kill our hero and/or heroine. As is with this book. Its a good story and I love the adventure, to see exactly what will happen. There's always a point in her books where you can't put them down. As is with this one.

However, with this particular book, I feel like she might have put some of our modern day lack of
Dee
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shadows of a Canyon was a light pleasant read.

The first third of the novel was slow and didn't look too promising as it's entire focus was on the love triangles plaguing the characters. However, other plot elements and storylines picked up to add a bit of suspense and drama. Plus the romantic drama was resolved. Although the romance elements were still in the latter parts of the novel, they were more enjoyable with the mix of the other things.
The novel was good. It wasn't fantastic, but it
Dee Renee  Chesnut
This book was free when I downloaded it from Barnes and Noble to my Nook library. I read several books by Peterson that were free at the time of download, and this was the first one I could not bear to read anymore of it. I could not take any more of the repetitive whining of Alex and her harsh judgements of her antagonists. I wanted this story about about a Harvey girl who worked at El Tovar in the Grand Canyon to be better, and that is the only reason I read as far as I did.
Mary Bronson
I really liked reading this book. I was hooked from page one. I loved the plot and characters. When I read a book I get drawn by very well written characters and this book had them. I loved Luke and Alex as characters and loved the ending for them. Also I liked now Joel's character was written. I hated him so much. I wanted to slap him no better hurt him. Now that is a good character. he got what he desered in the end and I was like yes! I can not wait to read the next book in the series.
Rev. Linda
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in Tracie Peterson's Desert Rose series, and was a good beginning to a series that I plan to complete. This title takes place in the early 1920's at a resort on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Loaded with suspense, some really bad "bad guys", and Peterson's usual sweet romance with God at the helm made for an entertaining read. I am ready to find the other two in the series.
Alissa
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-group, 2009
Had to read this for my book group. Our topic this month was Inspirational Fiction and we each read one. I actually listened to this on audiobook. It was ok. I thought I'd like this history and the mystery but really it was too contrived for me.
Denise
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
I liked the first third, maybe half of this book. The end was just a little too predictable, yet utterly ridiculous. Is it too much to ask for an enjoyable, realistic Christian romance to read on a Saturday afternoon?
Debby Baumgartner
Alex is from Williams Arizona and working as a Harvey Girl at the El Trovar Resort at the Grand Canyon. While her family is rich, her father is constantly bringing scandal to the family with his affairs with other woman. Will Alex trust a man enough to marry him?
Sara Diane
Oct 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007, reviewed
I don't normally like romances, but this one had enough mystery and history in it that I didn't mind. Read it in one afternoon, a few hours. Nothing amazing about the writing but it didn't stink, either.
Kathy Dixon
Apr 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was dragging. I sped read it. Predictable storyline. I have read other books by this author I thoroughly enjoyed. This one disappointed me. I will not stop reading this author though. She has drawn me in.
Courtney
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I found this series at our local library- it was a good clean romance set in the historical period of the early 1900's. Each book features a different girl- but the tying theme is they all work at the Harvey restaurants that are along the railroad in the southwest.
Deliasue
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book tells of Arizona bad men, who hunt people running for office and what they will do for money.
Cheryl Chmielewski
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story...once I got into it, it was very hard to put down. I kept you wondering who was doing the killing and then she reveals it right towards the end. I love Tracie's style.
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love, love this era. So glad they showed how the Harvey Girls were important to this time in history. Great story with great characters to love. The whole series is good.
Judy Tuck
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

Kept me intrigued until the end. Also helped me to remember biblical truths that I need in my life. thank you
Cathy Young
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a good book. Kind of simplistic but an easy read.
Carrie
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed this book. But I tried to read the second one and couldn't get into it. This one was good though.
Rebekah Tooley
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book was alright but I felt their was to much 'romance' involved. Cheating husbands (not detailed), insinuations of sexual contact.
Chanel
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Sweet and a bit sappy. I used to read these types of romance books when I was teenager. I am old enough to know better now. LOL
Catherine Clem
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love Tracie Peterson. I really enjoy reading historical Christian fiction. If you like that genre, you will love this series.
Naomi
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, faith
This was the first book I've ever read by Tracie Peterson. I loved this book and I have loved everything that I've read by her since then. Can't recommend her highly enough!
Debbie
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
woman deals with philandering father who's interested in politics
Angela Sellers
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved how the you are instantly thrown into the world of the main characters. The only problem was that it was fairly predictable.
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
History, action, love, and faith yup this booth has everything I enjoy reading in a novel. Thanks for the free read Amazon.

• Westward the Dream (Ribbons West, #1)
  • Far Side of the Sea
  • The Measure of a Lady
  • Valley of Dreams (Wild West Wind, #1)
  • A Promise for Ellie (Daughters of Blessing, #1)
  • Love's Reckoning (The Ballantyne Legacy, #1)
  • Dakota December (Dakota Plains, #4)
  • Ruby (Dakotah Treasures, #1)
  • Truths and Roses: A Love Story
  • Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1)
  • The Calling of Emily Evans (Women of the West, #1)
  • Keturah (The Sugar Baron's Daughters, #1)
  • Beginning Again
  • Dakota Dusk (Dakota Plains, #3)
  • The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, #1)
  • A Dream to Follow (Return to Red River, #1)
  • A Measure of Mercy (Home to Blessing, #1)
  • The Wolves of Windsor Ridge (Matt Bannister Western Book 4)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison

Desert Roses (3 books)
  • Across the Years (Desert Roses, #2)
  • Beneath a Harvest Sky (Desert Roses, #3)