Start by marking “The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)

The Assassin and the Empire

(Throne of Glass #0.5)

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  25,840 ratings  ·  1,597 reviews
Celaena Sardothien is the assassin with everything: a place to call her own, the love of handsome Sam, and, best of all, freedom. Yet, she won’t be truly free until she is far away from her old master, Arobynn Hamel; Celaena must take one last daring assignment that will liberate her forever. But having it all, means you have a lot to lose . . .

This fourth fantastic e-nov
Published July 20th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Children's

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin and the Empire, please sign up.
Kristyn He considered her his property and he didn't like sharing her with Sam.
Emi
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  25,840 ratings  ·  1,597 reviews

Start your review of The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)
~Poppy~
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"She didn’t want to go out into a world where he didn’t exist. So she watched the light shift and change, and let the world pass by without her."

“My name is Celaena Sardothien,” she whispered, “ and I will not be afraid .”
Ben Alderson
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cried ALOT
Pearl Angeli
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
“My name is Celaena Sardothien, and I will not be afraid.”

This novella was too much for me to take. I knew it was coming but still, it left me utterly unprepared for what happened to Celaena and Sam. It was just so heartbreaking and painful. Everything was brutal I’m so surprised to find myself being able to handle it without breaking my heart into tiny bits of pieces.

I’ve read Throne of Glass prior to reading this and now everything already made a perfect sense. What happened to Celaena wa
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
5 STAR'S

“She didn't want to go out into a world where he didn't exist. So she watched the light shift and change, and let the world pass by without her.”

Wow, this was another awesome and final novella in the Throne of Glass series. I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Assassin and the Empire very very much :) It was addicting and I couldn't read it fast enough. I love all the sweet moments in Celaena's apartment with Sam. Sam is quite the catch and there is no way in hell you can't fall in love wit
alana ♡
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
FOUR STARS BECAUSE MY HEART IS NO LONGER A PART OF MY BODY AND I AM HOPELESSLY DEAD INSIDE.

Originally I said I have so much to say about this book when I finished it in June, its now August and I have nothing to say. I'm still dead inside.

SAM DESERVED BETTER
I WILL NEVER GET OVER THIS!

Instead of reviewing this let me just leave you some gifs on how I felt while reading/still feel after reading this heartbreaker of a story.

“Tell me your deepest secret," she said softly...
After a long moment, h
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
Lavender soap. Such a tiny but heart-rending detail.
(view spoiler)

An essay on the consequences of misplaced trust and Electra complex and lack of readiness to face the treacherous world. An interesting combo to ponder.

PS. Well, they should have ran. Regardless of libraries, perfumes, hot water, secrets and other r
P
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult

The tension built up since The Assassin and the Underworld. I read this book with a shaking heart even if I knew that the ending was not that bad, I still shocked when I was on the last page. Sam and Calaene take a new mission, which is abnormally hard for every assassion. Yet she thinks she can do it, and that will gain lots of money and it's enou
Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆
All the stars and all the tears...
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
I am so angry right now I dont even know if I wanna read Throne of Glass any more. But the reason I read all these shorts this week is because I ordered it from my library and it will be here soon. But I dont think I could even stomach reading it right now. I am not just sad, I am angry. Almost seething. I usually avoid gifs because I like to write proper reviews, but I am too angry to write so...

That was me, literally. I took a shower to help me feel better. It didnt help.
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
That was pretty heartbreaking. :/ But at the same time I felt like everything could've been prevented. You don't have to even know Sam's fate to see that their mission was going to be a complete failure.

Farran was supposedly Celaena's equal. No offense to Sam and all, but considering how she's considered Adarlan's Assassin, he doesn't even come close to how lethal Celaena supposedly is. Sam was already dead the second he decided that he didn't want Celaena's help to take out Farran. Hate to say
Rosaline (Rosaline's Rolls & Scrolls)
" “I can wait,” he said thickly, kissing her collarbone. “We have all the time in the world.” "

This book is written to torture the heart. Every word and sentence is that much more heartbreaking because you know what's going to happen! You know how this young couple's dream of peace and love is going to end!
I hate this book for what it did to my soul. And love it, because unlike other prequel short stories written to show events that happened before the first book in the series, this one actu
Alz
Jul 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-mg, fantasy
A little novella in which nothing happens except things that Celaena could have avoided if she hadn't been so incredibly blindly stupid. She underwent no character growth, faced no real challenges except trumped-up excuses for plot, and acted so frivolous that it's no surprise that she ends up where she does.

For another thing, aspects of this book are way, way too modern--and I mean yes, this IS fantasy and all, but when it's set in Ye Elde Generic Fantasyland, I find it a bit much for her to ha
Monika
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Easily, "The Assassin and the Empire" was my favorite of the four novellas. So emotional and the ending just kills me. Yea... from the description of the "Throne of Glass" you know how it ends. But step by step, you see what caused this situation. And you can not help but feel sorry for Celaena and for what she went through. And Sam? Read and find out! You won’t be disappointed.
Jasmine

This was certainly a heart-shattering story and Sam's death was unfathomably painful to me. The beginning of it was too dreamy to be true, the way Sam and Celaena believed in the possibility of leaving Rifthold and starting their new life without the control of either Arobynn Hamel or the Assassins' Guild; however, the ending was something entirely unexpected. Such a dramatic twist was hard to endure, honestly.

Although the killing scenes were bloody as usual, I think the Crime Lord of Rifthold
Cardan Greenbriar

(view spoiler)
Wren (fablesandwren)
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

Finally I am getting around to reading the adventures of my dear Celaena Sardothien. LOWKEY, I kind of love the assassin more than the queen, but that doesn't mean that I don't love the queen.

I wanted to read it before I read Empire of Storms BUT I kind of got distracted with other books that were coming out around the same time. I am not a huge fan of novellas, but I do know that some of the characters introduced in the last book were first introduced in some of these novella
Melanie
#1.) Throne of Glass ★★★
#2.) Crown of Midnight ★★★★
#3.) Heir of Fire ★★
#4.) Queen of Shadows ★★

I love all the scenes in Celaena and Sam's apartment. Oh, how I wish things in this story could have gone differently. We get to see all the filth that goes on in the Vaults, and, unfortunately, Sam is making
Sabrina
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

I'm officially hooked on this series and simultaneously cursing the girl that made me read these. I have a feeling I'm in for a lot more heartbreak once I get to the full novels.
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wrote one thing in my notes for this novella and it smudged from my tears: “it’s broken me”.

description

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/ as part of my full review for Assassin's Blade
Zain Otoom
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5
Damn it, Celeana! It was so obvious!
Also, Arobynn, you've got some serious issues that you need to work out.
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

That's all I can say after reading The Assassin and the Empire. Arobynn Hamel deserves a slow, painful death while seeing Celaena enjoying his torture with a smile. I can't wait to read about his demise.

My only complaint with this novella is Celaena and Sam's platonic relationship. They lived for over a month together and nothing happened? Seriously? I know this is YA, but still! It seems out of place.

description

And I can't shake off the feeling that Chaol is so much like Sam. I kept thinking this througho
_racheljane_
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I think this was the most haunting of all the short stories. We see Celaena and Sam falling in love, we witness Arobynn's obsession and revenge on Celaena, see her lose someone she loves, gets betrayed again and sent to Endovier;the one thing that made me halt is my suspension that Arobynn and the King knew who she truly was and that's why they didn't want anyone to see her. Which makes Arobynn betrayal worst and his lust for her even more disturbing. Which makes the King agreement on her stay i ...more
Leah Bosward
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ohh the feels. Sarah has written such an amazing backstory for Celaena.
I'm in tears.
Pragya
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Finally, I got to know how Sam died and Celaena ended up in the Endovier. It was an okay read for me. Farran killed Sam so horribly.
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

4 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). THAT WAS SO SO SO SO SAD. I LOVED HOW WE FOUND OUT WHERE "MY NAME IS CELEANA SARDOTHIEN AND I WILL NOT BE AFRIAD" CAME FROM :D I LOVE SAM, AND I ALWAYS WILL. TEAM SAM. FOREVER. SCREW JAYNE AND FARRAN.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is neve
Nicole
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Shannon
I held out on finishing this one until I was ready to read the next book, and I'm glad I did. This final novella was heartbreaking. I legitimately cried even though I knew what was coming since I read Throne of Glass before any of the short stories. I can't tell you what order is right, but I think these prequels will make you like Celaena more than if you skip them altogether. If you're on the fence about her, the four stories (which easily could've been one whole book,) flesh out her character ...more
hayden
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
even though I knew what was coming, it still hit me right in the gut. :(
Fontaine
Jul 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
For a girl who's so arrogant and claims to be one of the best, she sure falls short of her own declaration.

The actions of Calaena was stupid and made no sense.
All the events that occurred could have been avoided if our 'heroine' wasn't so blindingly idiotic.

This book was supposed to be tragic, but was so horribly stupid it turned moronic.
What happens to our heroine in the end is well-deserved, but I feel very sad for Sam where the violence was undeserved.

Any sensible person could have seen what
Queen Maas' Assas...: TOG Novellas ~ The Assassin and the Empire 17 274 Sep 21, 2019 07:51AM

• The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Tailor (Grishaverse, #1.5)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Queen Song (Red Queen, #0.1)
  • Steel Scars (Red Queen, #0.2)
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)
  • The Too-Clever Fox (Grishaverse, #2.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)
  • Para Sempre Caídos (Fantasmas do Mercado das Sombras, #10)
  • O Mundo Perdido (Fantasmas do Mercado das Sombras, #9)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • Alma
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)