Start by marking “Harvest of War ” as Want to Read:
Harvest of War

Harvest of War

Victory rewards the most brutal. But in a war fought between Orcs, Humans, and the monsters known as the Reapers, who best deserves that title? And will any of them fight for the weak? Or are the weak doomed always to be prey?
Kindle Edition
Published March 2012 by Razored Zen Press

To ask other readers questions about Harvest of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harvest of War

Werner
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All fans of short fantasy fiction
19th-century literary scholar Caleb Thomas Winchester (Some Principles of Literary Criticism, 1899) suggests that literary merit is about all the elements of a work of literature blending perfectly to create the effect the author wants to achieve. By that yardstick, I believe this short e-story is an unqualified success.

It's difficult to go into much detail in this review without spoilers. I'll just say that we're in a well-realized fantasy world, and our tale opens with a bloody battle, at dawn
S.E. Lindberg
“Victory rewards the most brutal. But in a war fought between Orcs, Humans, and the monsters known as the Reapers, who best deserves that title? And will any of them fight for the weak? Or are the weak just prey?"Back cover Summary

Context: This is a short story, originally scheduled for an anthology in ~2011 that never made it to market, and has thankfully been made available as a stand-alone tale. An underlying motivation of the anthology was to show Orcs as more complex characters than present
Ben Handshue
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Charles Allan Gramlich is a brilliant story teller. His ability to create complex characters with as few words as possible is true gift. His style brings memories of reading Robert E Howard's Conan. He the seriousness with some light-hearted humor. A definitely must-read.
Ashe Armstrong
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: orcs
This is a singleminded review: I want more. I need more. The story unfolded in a way that piqued my interest so hard. Read it.
Lyndon
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This short story of a singular Orc named Khales - imprisoned by humans, befriended by a young girl - is an epic tale with a touching center. The opening is classic exposition, but the storytelling moves to a more immediate and emotional perspective and draws the reader into the heart of this feared enemy who has a choice to make and a destiny to fulfill. If you like heroic fantasy in bite-sized pieces, this will not disappoint.
Greg
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I very much liked this short story of compassion in a time of brutal war and the all-too-brief emergence of understanding between two individuals of widely disparate races - a kind of beauty and the beast retold.

I also liked the flow of the writing and the level of description in the text but I felt that the story ended rather abruptly after the final and dramatic scene.

I'll be keeping an eye out for other works by Charles Gramlich in the future!
Jack
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short story about Orc prisoner of war. The story portrays Orcs in a different light. Even thought this is a short story, the author does an excellent job of pacing the transformation of the character. It doesn't feel rushed or contrived. This story was the first I've read of Mr. Gramlich, but it will not be the last.
Rosalind M
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story
Vivid and brutal, yet effectively builds sympathy for a character usually seen as a villain.
Randy
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
HARVEST OF WAR tells the tale of two enemies, humans and Orcs, learn that maybe they shouldn't be enemies. All through the efforts of a young red-haired little girl.

It's a story of the upset of the natural order of things when humans set out to destroy the Orcs.

Kales is the only survivor of an Orc army, wounded and stuck in a cage to be tormented by children, the men, poked with sticks, hammered with rocks, fed dirty water and rotten food.

Ehma, the red-haired child, is the only one that treats
Prashant C Trikannad
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
In "Harvest of War," Charles Gramlich blends rich prose and poetry to narrate a riveting tale of creatures and beasts who clash in the land of startling imagination that is both fascinating and terrifying. It begins with a gory war between the vicious Orcs and their Human foes, a fight to the death where only one race survives; and of a lone Orc, captured and tortured, who redeems himself by defending his arch enemy. This is a cracker of a short story — lucid in style and relentless in pace and ...more
Derek
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gramlich writes with a rawness and immediacy that sucks the reader right in. Irrelevancies such as the cause of this conflict and the back history of any character are all stripped away and left to the reader's imagination. Are the humans the good guys? Are the Orcs the bad guys? Does it matter, when "victory rewards the most brutal"?

In other hands, the connection between Khales the Orc and Ehma the human girl would render the story trite or maudlin. Thankfully, this avoids that fate.
Bernard DeLeo
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gripping and gritty battle scenes, mixed with horrendous captivity, and an empathetic friendship between the captive Orc and the child of his hated enemy: humans. The ending deepens this odd understanding to a heroic finish. Great story!
Exanimis
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
A wonderful short story told from an Orcs perspective.
Jonmontanavega
Jun 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Here is the opening line:

Across a snowfield that lies red with dawn, the Orc charge comes."

And is met.

It doesn't get any better. But ... if you are at all tempted, do the author the justice of downloading the sample. Just because I found the writing boring and banal doesn't mean you will.
Tom
Jun 27, 2017
Guadalupe
Jun 19, 2012
Charles
Sep 08, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: short-stories
Chris
Feb 18, 2017
Olivia
Apr 11, 2017
Small and Indepen...: "Harvest of War" by Charles Allen Gramlich 1 5 May 19, 2017 11:36AM
I grew up on a farm in Arkansas, and I fully intend to retire right back to that same farm. But not yet. I came to Louisiana in 1986 to teach Biological Psychology at Xavier University in New Orleans. I've been there ever since, although I now live in a semi-rural area outside Abita Springs, Louisiana.

My primary writing interests are in Fantasy and Horror, which are the genres where my books and