Start by marking “Stolen Child” as Want to Read:
Stolen Child

Stolen Child

When Carla Kelly and Robert Gardner marry, they seem destined for happiness. But tragedy strikes when their two-day-old baby, Isobel, is stolen. Distraught and bewildered, they must cope with the media frenzy that follows. As hope of finding her fades, their marriage disintegrates under the strain and they divorce. Robert moves to Australia and Carla, who had been a succes ...more
Published June 2010 by AVON / Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Child, please sign up.
The Reading Panda Do you like a heavy read when at the beach? If so, than it would be great. I definitely recommend it.

Renita D'Silva
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fabulous book. I could not put this emotional read down. The writing is so wonderful that I will reread this book again just to savour the beautiful turns of phrase. Packed with emotional punch, this is a honest, searing, absolutely engrossing read. Very highly recommended.
Deanna
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it

A Mother's worst nightmare....

I really love a good psychological thriller and this one wasn't quite what I was expecting but I still enjoyed it. It took me a little bit to get into the story. However, once I did I finished it within a couple of days which is usually a sign of a good read.

The novel centers around Suzanne and Carla. Suzanne, after many devastating miscarriages finally has the baby she's always wanted. Carla has just given birth to a healthy baby girl who goes missing at
sue
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent story, although predictable.

This is a story of 2 different families, one of them where someone is unable to conceive.

Yes its about a stolen child which keeps you reading, the bit that kept me interested was the 'what if' aspect of it.

I had read this 2 years ago, the publishers have re-issued this book with a new cover.

It gives you insight to the mind of a tragic emotional person. Giving both sides to the equation rightly or wrongly.

I didn't feel it was the strongest book
Renita D'Silva
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bayanola92
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart breaking!
Full review will be on my channel soon.
Ann
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My best read for some time. Set in Ireland the story is told mainly from the point of view of two women Carla and Suzanne. When Carla’s daughter is only two days old she is stolen from the hospital in which she was born. Susanne has had many miscarriages and longs for a child of her own. The plot has many twists and turns, I found it totally compulsive read

Gail
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was mezmerized by this book. A newborn stolen from her crib in he Mother's hospital room and not found for 15 years. The story is so well written that I could believe it to be true. So many emotions evolved. I recommend this to anyone who wants to read a fantastic book. I can not stress enough how great this book is.
Amy
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
To want to be a mother - to need to become one - is a primal urge that many women feel. Susanne Dowling certainly does. Her desperation to have a child is so acute that she puts herself through cycle after cycle of miscarriages.

The emotional torture that inflicts is unbearable to think about, much less endure.

Susanne believes she has one last chance at motherhood. Part of this is due to age, and part due to the tenuous foundation of her marriage. Her husband David is a geologist who works primar
Jen La Duca
When I first began Stolen Child, I thought I was going to be reading a Psychological Thriller about a stolen baby and the hunt to find her kidnapper. This book was less a “thriller” and more of a psychological character study of two very different women, their families, and the tragedy that shaped all of their lives. I absolutely loved this book and found it utterly fascinating. As a mother, some parts were really hard for me to read; I kept placing myself in Carla’s shoes, wondering how I would ...more
Loretta Milan
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some people have it all. Fame. Beauty. Money. Expensive things. Maybe they deserve it, maybe they don’t but there are some things no one deserves and every parent fears: Their child being stolen. That’s exactly what happens when little Isobel, who the public have followed into the world through her mother’s popular column, is swiped from her cot in the middle of the night.

Her panic-stricken mother, Carla, inevitably uses her celebrity position as the catalyst for a high-profile campaign to find
Amanda
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Susanne is a a woman who has suffered the loss of a child many times. After five miscarriages her mind and marriage are starting to slip. Carla Kelley is a supermodel and the face of her sister-in-law's maternity clothing line. Susanne is very private while Carla's life is always on display. Susanne loses another child but this time is a little different. Carla Kelley will have a successful delivery but will wake from a nap two days later to an empty cradle.
Each woman will handle her loss in
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins UK, Avon and NetGalley.)

This was an okay story, but it wasn’t what I was expecting.

I felt a little split over the characters in this, because while I felt sorry for Carla and the way her baby was stolen, I also felt for Susanne and the way her baby died. Losing more than one baby and not having anyone to talk to about it must have been beyond difficult.

The storyline in this was okay, but
Redfox5
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really gripping book which tells the story of a stolen child from the point of view from the woman who lost her and the one that took her.

At first I felt sympathy for Suzanne, she lost so many babies. It was heartbreaking when she miscarried and buries the child in the garden. I understood why she took Joy from the hospital and I understand why she targeted Carla. Carla is an Irish celebrity model who is flaunting her pregnancy in the media, with a maternity line and articles about being pregn
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: three-star
I began this book with a strange sense of deja vu. I recognised the writing and the characters, so I can only guess that I began it a few years ago and abandoned it. I hate giving up on books, so I'm glad I gave this a second chance.

Stolen Child is a difficult book to get into (perhaps that is why I gave up on it part way through the first time I read it); the chapters are short (there are over eighty in total!) and the characters are not easily warmed to.

I found some parts of the book entirely
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is a story alternating between Carla, whose daughter was snatched from her and Susanne, who took her.
Laura Elliot has done a wonderful job with this book, a story alternating between having your world ripped apart and never giving up hope and also a story of having to live with the guilt of what we have done and questioning whether getting what we wish for can really make us happy..
The storyline had me hooked from the start but I would say that the last 20% of the book was just breath takin
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Although this wasn't the Thriller or Mystery I was lead to believe it was an excellent family drama that made me question what I would do in each characters situation. I enjoyed it a lot and just had to keep reading to see how this situation resolved itself. Good one for Jodi Picoult fans I think!
Chanel Lindsay
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This book focuses on every mother's worst nightmare...
Carla Kelly wakes up to find her two-day-old baby daughter's cot empty. Isobel has been taken.
Susanne Dowling has kept a terrible secret following her fifth agonising miscarriage. When at last she welcomes her new baby daughter into her life, she realises they will both be safe as long as Susanne keeps her daughter close, and confesses her lie to no one. Ever.

Honestly I have mixed opinions about this book. The plotline was very intriguing
Ems. (afternoonbookery)
As much as a pleasure reviewing books is, i felt a bit bogged under lately with commitments left right and centre and i wanted to read something for me, i had spied this book in a shop a few weeks ago and i consider buying it, to only realise i had previously purchased it on kindle so i must of really wanted to read it at some point.

The narrative is told from multiple POV, we mainly follow Carla & Susanne, however later we are led to see the story through others eyes. Its the longest day of
Kristina
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Stolen Child by Laura Elliot is the story of a missing child. The book is set in Ireland. Carla Kelly is a model and the current “face” of Anticipation (a clothing line by her friend, Raine). Carla’s face is everywhere. Carla is married to Robert and undercover copy with the Irish Garda (police force). Carla and Robert are expecting their first child. Their marriage is not perfect, but they are happy.

Carla has her baby and calls her Isobel Gillian. The little girl’s picture is in all the papers.
Lauraloves
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every now and again a book comes along that really captures your mind and hooks you in and you never want to put it down. For me this was a book that did this I absolutely loved it.

This book is about two very different families. Carla Kelly has it all. She is famous, is beautiful, has a loving husband and a lovely house and has a baby on the way. On the other side of the story there is Susanne. She is in a marriage where there is love but not for each other. She cannot carry a child full term an
Angel Hatfield
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews, mystery
**I received an ARC of this story in exchange for an honest review
Suzanne had a number miscarriages and couldn't seem to have a live birth. She had been currently pregnant and when she miscarried, she put the infant in some ruins on her property and padded herself to make herself look pregnant as she couldn't face her husband David and mother-in-law Miriam. Suzanne and David had been married 6 years when Joy became theirs.

Carla Kelly was the first celebrity to be interviewed when the subject of
Michelle
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Stolen Child through Kindle. From the start it was a captivating book, I read it in two days as I was eager to read the conclusion. A woman wrought by the pain of her own actions, tormented by demons, demons she sees in her herself. The other mother, equally haunted, pushes through life searching for the truth, pushing away everyone she loves. Will the truth ever be found, will she ever find little Isobel?
Debbie
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put it down. The author explores the hearts, souls and minds of diverse characters from different backgrounds bringing them together in a story that traces the life of a couple whose baby is stolen, the couple who are bringing up the child as their own, and the child itself.

Compelling reading ..... fantastic read
Diana Belchase
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous writing. Totally compelling.
Carolann Copland
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most thought provoking and gripping novels I have read this year. 'Stolen Child' has left me with a longing to read more of Laura Elliot's work.
Samantha
Mar 20, 2015 marked it as gave-up-on-this-book
This was hard to follow and I stopped reading around 155. Might give it another go in a few months.
Jules
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A "Good Read".
Emotional though predictable.
Lindsay Lane
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Mekerei
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stolen Child by Laura Elliot holds you until the end. I needed to know how this story played out.

This is the tale of Suzanne and her repeated miscarriages. It is also the story of Carla and her stolen child.

I couldn't put it down. Well worth reading. Four stars.
april lewis
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart stopping!!

This book will keep you on the edge of your seat with each turn of the page, you won't want to put it down. I am utterly in awe of this author and she has quickly become one of my most favorite authors. This book will make you question your morals and values and to what depths you'd go when all hope seems elusive. Highly recommended!!!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Oct 02, 2015 11:41AM
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Smoke Screen
  • Little Miracles
  • A Lovely, Indecent Departure
  • No Place to Die (DI Mike Lockyer, #2)
  • The Light of Day
  • Promises to Keep (Sabrina Vaughn #3)
  • Craved
  • Gooseberry Island
  • From a Grieving Mother's Heart
  • Rules for Riders
  • Sticky Fingers: DIY Duct Tape Projects - Easy to Pick Up, Hard to Put Down
Laura Elliot is the author of six novels, Stolen Child and The Prodigal Sister, published by Avon HarperCollins. Her novels, Fragile Lies, The Betrayal, Sleep Sister and Guilty are published by Bookouture. Her books have been widely translated and she has collaborated on a number of high-profile non-fiction books.

Aka June Considine, she is an author of twelve books for children and young adults. H
“Galumphing! Why does her mother always make her feel so hefty?” 1 likes