Start by marking “Horror for Good: A Charitable Anthology” as Want to Read:
Horror for Good: A Charitable Anthology

Horror for Good: A Charitable Anthology

Cutting Block Press proudly presents the editing team of Mark C. Scioneaux, Robert Shane Wilson, and R.J. Cavender, bringing you stories that represent a fine array of material, including works delving into multiple crossover genres. Cooked up in this anthology is a selection of short stories from international bestselling authors to hot new talents.

This is a charitable an
Published March 30th 2012 by Cutting Block Press

To ask other readers questions about Horror for Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horror for Good

Alexander Beresford
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
32 stories. 11 rare reprints. 21 brand new stories.

If you're new to Horror Fiction, this book will introduce you to some of the best writers in the business; it's a fantastic starting point for the new enthusiast.

If you've loved Horror Fiction for a while you'll recognize most of the names, and the writing in here will definitely blow your hair back.

If you're a human being (hey, I don't know who reads these reviews...) you'll support this charity anthology created in the memory of uncle Louis
Trent Zelazny
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Horror for Good is better than good. This is a fantastic collection filled with both legends of the genre as well as some folks I'd never even heard of, and there isn't an even mediocre tale in the bunch. Every story is phenomenal. If you like horror stories, this one is definitely for you. And on top of pure horror awesomeness (yes, what makes this collection even better than the masterwork it already is) is that it is a charitable anthology, the money going to amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Re ...more
S.C. Hayden
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't tell you how many times I've picked up a small press anthology and didn't bother finishing half the stories.
Not this one though. Every tale in this collection is good, some are very good and a few are great.
Brian Matthews
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How do you combat the horrors of real life? Deal with the grief of a life lost? Well, for Mark Scioneaux, whose uncle died from AIDS and cirrhosis of the liver, it involved putting together one of the best collections of horror stories ever--and then donating the proceeds to AIDS research. It is truly a selfless dedication to ameliorate a real world ghoul, using the terrors crafted by some of the world's best horror authors.

"Horror for Good" is a superlative collection of terrifying tales. From
Max III
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In case you only just now stepped out of that rock you call a home, Horror for Good is a charity anthology of horror short stories, with contributions from many outstanding authors in the field, such as Jack Ketchum and Ray Garton, along with many other excellent authors at the top of their game. Not only was this a spectacular work, but the marketing done on this book matched no other anthology this year. If you were in the horror writing industry early 2012, you simply did not mention upcoming ...more
Rena Mason
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a great anthology from start to finish. The mood starts off slow and creepy, then escalates to horrifying, and ends with deep thoughts. Some stories were better than others. Several of my favorites were: The Silent Ones by Taylor Grant, The Other Patrick by Brad C. Hodson, Baptism by Tracie McBride, The Depravity of Inanimate Things by John F.D. Taft, and Blood For the American People by Lisa Morton.
A.E.
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Horror for Good is a charitable anthology of horror fiction with all revenue (less direct costs for production, marketing, and distribution, net profits of each purchase, estimate to be at least 10 to 15%) being donated to amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research.

The stories in this collection are, simply put, fantastic--some of the standouts include Joe McKinney’s "Sky of Brass, Land of Iron", "The Monster in the Drawer” by Wrath James White, Jack Ketchum's "Returns", "The Apocalypse Ain’t So B
Ryan Willox
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stokers-13
Really comes down to a simple question; is it worth $5. Yes. Buy it. It's for a good cause and the stories are all pretty good and some are exceptional, if you like horror obviously. Anyone with a inclination toward reading horror will find something to love in here. There's a bit of everything, all very well done. You really can't go wrong. Established names, newbies. It's a varied collection.
Joyce
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a really great anthology! There is something for every horror fan. A few of my favorites were Dead Letters by Ramsey Campbell, Autumn as Metaphor by GN Braun, and The Apocalypse Ain't So Bad by Jeff Strand. Five bucks, not a bad story in the bunch, and it's for a good cause, too!
Robert Wilson
Mar 28, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Horror For Good: A Charitable Anthology is now available on Amazon in both trade paperback and Kindle versions!

Kindle: $5.00 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084FO7N4

Trade paperback: $15.00 http://www.amazon.com/Horror-For-Good...
JasonH
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good selection of stories. I'm impressed. Would love to see a second volume.
Hal Bodner
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
To even attempt to write a detailed review of an anthology this intimidating is a daunting task which I have no intention of undertaking. The volume is crammed full of stories from established horror writers-- some of the best names in the field no less!--with an ample selection of work from some extremely talented newcomers.

Very few people are going to like everything this book contains; the stories are simply too varied to appeal across the board to every reader. Rather HORROR FOR GOOD is lik
Alexandrea Hills
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads giveaways.

I really liked the majority of these short stories. I thought the writing was really good and compelling. I usually am not a big short story reader because I don't get enough detail and I don't get attached to character which I like but these stories I liked. It was nice because I'm not a big horror/thriller reader due to gore but in these short stories there was just enough. I always wanted to find out what the 'secret' was.

The only complaint I
Mark Scioneaux
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As one of the editors of this book, I wanted to say thank you to anyone who has purchased and read this book. Whether you know it or not, you allowed my Uncle to live again through the power of the written word. Read my introduction to the book (you can see it in the free sample on Amazon) and it will sum up perfectly the process of putting this anthology together and about those involved.
Greg
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a good collection of stories from some of our best horror writers. Each story has its own focus and they cover a wide range of themes, from ghosts to creatures to psychological.

I enjoyed reading this anthology. If you're a fan of horror then this is a good book to add to your collection.
John Taff
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Fantastic collection of horror from some big names. Not a clunker in the entire anthology. Note: I do have a story in it, too, "The Depravity of Inanimate Things." Just to be above board and all.
John J Questore
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Horror For Good - an anthology of epic proportions, with proceeds going to amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research; and well worth the price of admission!

Look, where else can you find 32 frightening, and thought provoking, stories - some never before published, some not having seen the light of day in a while - AND benefit a worthwhile organization?

I'm not going to rehash the stories like I usually do in my reviews - that will take way to long. But some of my favorites are:

On a Dark October - Jo
Geoff
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like every single story in this one.
I tried... I really did.
Some were great, some were good, and some were a bit... lacking.
All up, a solid anthology, with more good than mediocre.
There were one or two that just didn't do it for me, but that's how it goes with anthologies.
Recommended, as there are not many anthologies that are ALL good.
This one is good enough, and it's for a great cause...
Donegal
First of all, it's worth the $5 if only because profits from each sale go to AIDS research and prevention organization amfAR. A few stories I didn't care for but plenty of really good ones including:

Mouth by Nate Southard
The Long Hunt by Ian Harding
Dead Letters by Ramsey Campbell
Baptism by Tracie McBride
Returns by Jack Ketchum (I cried reading this one)
June Decay by Danica Green
Shiva, Open Your Eye by Laird Barron

The stories featured in this anthology cover a wide breadth of horror, from monster
Cathy
Oct 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, horror
I love the idea of this anthology and wanted to like it, but too many of the stories just weren't very good -- either they were painfully amateurish, or very short sketches. There are some standouts, though; Baptism by the new-to-me author Tracie McBride was especially good, along with the Laird Barron story -- I've yet to read anything by Barron that hasn't impressed me. I liked The Other Patrick as well, although I thought it would have benefited from some more polishing, and Jack Ketchum's pi ...more
Ann-Kristin
Dec 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Put it on my dnf shelf. To boring! I am aware that there might be one good story in there but I do not want to read trough it all to find it.
Sheri White
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Most of the stories were great, but a few just didn't do it for me.
Zaber
Jul 21, 2012
Tristan
Oct 05, 2012
Tracie McBride
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Faisal
Aug 04, 2016
Juan David
Apr 24, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Book Of A Thousand Sins
  • The Endlands (Volume 2)
  • Dark Faith
  • Help! Wanted: Tales of On-The-Job Terror
  • Baby's First Book of Seriously Fucked-up Shit
  • Attic Toys
  • Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill
  • Necro Files: Two Decades of Extreme Horror
  • Demons: Encounters with the Devil and His Minions, Fallen Angels, and the Possessed
  • The Library of the Dead
  • Sinister Entity
  • Black Butterflies
  • Black and Orange (Black & Orange, #1)
  • The House
  • The Void
  • Blood Related
  • Muerte Con Carne
  • Clickers VS. Zombies
Mark C. Scioneaux is employed as an industrial hygienist by day and a horror writer by night.

His passion for the macabre left him dissatisfied with many of the zombie stories and movies shambling around, so he was determined to blaze a new trail – one littered with slick patches of gore and more than a few empty shotgun shells. He is an avid reader and movie lover and is always looking for a way t