Start by marking “Obsidian (New Species, #8)” as Want to Read:
Obsidian (New Species, #8)

Obsidian (New Species #8)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  12,105 Ratings  ·  597 Reviews
Book 8 in the New Species series. Dr. Allison Baker is obsessed with saving the comatose New Species male. She has tried everything and there's only one option left. Alli will break every rule and put her life in danger by tempting 880 to wake, using only her feminine scent and touch. She just has to kidnap him and crawl into bed with him to make it work. 880 wakes in a di ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Ellora's Cave

To ask other readers questions about Obsidian, please sign up.

Megan Jones This book can be read alone as well as an of the other books, it doesn't affect the storyline if you have not read any of them. the only reason it is…moreThis book can be read alone as well as an of the other books, it doesn't affect the storyline if you have not read any of them. the only reason it is better to read them in order is that you will know who Is who and their backgrounds.(but again not necessary) (less)

Lisa
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing

5 "All Because I Loved Obsidian" Stars!

description

Obsidian is book eight in Laurann Dohner's New Species series. Number 880, a.k.a. Obsidian, was the type of New Species male that melts my heart and makes all my girlie parts flutter. He is so damaged and broken that you can't help but want to wrap your arms around all that burly male. He is one of the New Species that was not rescued initially and because of this he was forced to endure further tortures at the hands of ex-Mercile employees. The most horrif
Alex is The Romance Fox
 photo cf9ef21f11bacc3260521ac5a67fed6f_zpsb3da1328.jpg
Obsidian’s life has been filled with darkness, pain and sadness and after being rescued from the horrendous Mercile labs, is now in a coma at Homeland.

Dr Allison Baker has been trying to get 880, Obsidian’s lab name, out of the coma and the doctors and the New Species Council are on the verge of giving up any hope of him ever waking up.
Feeling desperate and as a last resort, Alli kidnaps Obsidian from Homeland and takes him to a hidden cabin, where she can continue her efforts in reviving Ob
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
2.5 Meh Stars

*Spoilers*

photo meh_zps3ns22dlw.gif

Obsidian is the 8th book in the New Species series. I didn't feel it at all. It was just Meh at best. So Obsidian is about 880 later named Obsidian who is in a coma when the book starts and has been for months, is kidnapped by Dr. Allison Baker. Allison steals the NS male because she believes that if she can make him want a woman's scent she can wake him up from his coma and she feels she has no other choice. She went to Tiger and Justice with her idea and they told her N
Ladymcbeth
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with Obsidian too Now.
Great story, I love the way The new species is dominant with the doctor... a little stuborn...

Can wait to read Shadow now

2nd reading ... loved it as much as the first !
Amy Rachiele
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to new book! Although, I would like the cover model to personally deliver a copy to my home.
Sammy Loves Books
Obsidian: a black natural volcanic glass formed by the rapid cooling of molten lava.

Lava

This is the eighth book of this series and I have enjoyed them All!!! Patient 880 has finally awoken from his coma. And just like all recently freed New Species, he has chosen his own name>

Obsidian. She tried to think of the definition. A lot of Species preferred to take a name that had meaning to them. “Isn’t that a lava rock or something along those lines?”

He growled. “It fits me. I am burning inside and ha
MelissaB

** 3 1/2 stars **

The story was good for the most part but I am soooo tired of the way every story has a conflict because other people butt into a relationship/mating. The drama and separation in this were ridiculous and unnecessary, why would they listen to a bad psychologist whom they all hate? Why wouldn't they get a different psychologist at their place?

I also don't like how the New Species don't seem to be in control of their homeland, I guess I am spoiled by the Breeds who are in control
Denisa
This guy!!

Think he's my favorite Species so far, I absolutely loved him!

I have to admit, I liked this change in pace in the series. This time, the chick doesn't get kidnapped/burned/almost killed and it felt like a breath of fresh air; even more, she's a bit of a badass in her own way and I really really liked her personality.

But let's leave the girl and the plot alone and focus on Obsidian! He's sooo so so hot!
Yeah, yeah, it's the 5th time I say this in my review, but I can't help myself, I l
Jilly
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
For all my Alpha-Caveman loving friends, this book is definitely for you. Obsidian alphas the hell out of this book! Even the other New Species are like, "bro, take it down a notch!" Even Kristen Ashley is like, "This guy is going a bit too far in the alpha thing." Yeah, it's like that.

When they bring Allison a bag of her clothing, Obsidian immediately starts rifling through it, inspecting every article of clothing.
"These cover your breasts, don't they?" He stared at her chest.

"Yes, it's a bra.
Love2read
Aug 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
I am a big Laurann Dohner fan, but I am so disappointed with Obsidian. She really missed the mark with this one. Whereas I loved the "Me Tarzan, You Jane" routine in Valiant, Obsidian just didn't do it for me! Simply put, I was bored and underwhelmed. I usually love Dohner's formula, but this go round no! The writing was stilted, rushed, and disconnected. I couldn't fall in love with Obsidian the way I have with other main male characters in the New Species series. I was left wanting and I think ...more
Shari Kay
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr-uf
2.75 ✭

I had so many issues with this one...

The heroine's actions were completely unethical, she should have gone to prison.

For a doctor who works with NS...she knew very little about them.

The execution of the kidnapping was absurd.

The (continued) stilted dialogue.

Justice's hypocrisy and flip-flopping.

Mate rules seem to change on a whim in this series.

Blaming Obsidian for his actions and listening to an obviously bad shrink.

The heroine's martyrdom...puhleese.

From the beginning of the convo betwee
Mariℓina
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
It was ok but i couldn't really connect with the H/h..
I appreciate the fact that the telling of this story brings another aspect to the whole world of NSO..

Yeah, thats Obsidian.. Crazy wild dog!! That wants to kill everyone, or at least attack anyone or anything..

Thank God for Moon and Breeze later that told him

Well in the end he made it .. And everything turned out great.. I like the end.. He was polite and more civil but funny too..
I would love for them to spent more time together and do thing
Teebee
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Damn...Where do they find those cover models!! I'm really slipping, I had no idea 2 more New Species books were in the works!
I can not wait!!!

Ok, Read Obsidian!
Laurann did it again!!! I really like this series! The guys are super hot and the stories make you want to keep reading straight through without a break!!!
Shannon
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even though I really want to read this book, can I just get the guy?

Fanny
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it

Al principio pense que esta novela no me gustaria demasiado, en parte por los comentarios de otras personas que lei, por eso me sorprendi cuando inicie la lectura y no era para nada como esperaba, era mucho mejor.

Es cierto que en esta octava parte no hay tanta accion como en los libros anteriores pero a mi eso no me molesto, todo lo contrario, me gusto que la trama se centrara en la pareja protagonista.

Cada vez que termino una historia mas de esta saga siempre me pregunto lo mismo, porque no emp
Jen
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
nice body but for some reason its not flipping my switches like Tigers cover did :( lol maybe as he isn't focused on her? Still looking forward to it though!! Go canines! hehe Still Valiant>all

Any release date yet??

If you are Jonesing for a dohner fix and have already re-ready everyting twice (or more) Abducting Abby (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #1) by S.E. Susan Smithis not a bad read, hot aplha males but not the hard assed non-emotional ones probably on the spice level of the Dohner Raines books though good value but be aware it is self published so some
Vashti
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable entry into the New Species .The characters of Alli and Obsidian I felt complimented each other.Though not as an exciting read as some if the others,the story was tru to the characters.Obsisian was in a coma the first part of the story and Alli,his doctor was so drawn to him that she kidnapps his comatose body and takes him away from the hospital in order to make him come out of the coma by bonding to a female.Once he comes out of that coma,the story moves along nicely and h ...more
Sophia Triad
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OBSIDIAN & ALLISON

One of my favourite books. It made me cry more than the rest of the books.
The best scene was when Allison came back, Obsidian looked so happy and she thought he does not want her any more.
All good in the end of course...
Jen
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-own
Another sexy, steamy book by Laurann Dohner! This one is my favorite out of her New Species series!! Of course everytime I read the next book in the series, I say that!! I love them all and I love the New Species males and have decided that I would like one all to myself!! Who wouldn't want a man who is loyal,faithful,sexy, and puts their mate first. Of course, they are a little dominating and controlling but hey, I could put up with that if the reward is eye candy and all the loving I could ask ...more
 B.E.Love
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
**re-read**I can never get enough of Obsidian and his one track mind(Alli)

(not sure how many times I have red this one now) I love this book but them forcing Obsidian and Alli irritated me because that wouldn't have happened to anyone else but I love this book and Obsidian!
Laurann Dohner did it again, I loved this book! This is one of the best if not the best PR series I have read in a long time. Once I picked this book up I didn't want to stop reading it till I was done. Not only are the main c
Chappy
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Re-read Dec 20-21, 2016

Not my favorite New Species book but still really good. I think I just had to adjust to 880 (later Obsidian) being such a dominant prick. I think I liked him better in a coma (just joking). However, this behavior just reinforces how badly he was treated at Mercile. He was also always in seclusion so his language and coping skills are not very good. There were some very touching moments...like when Alli teaches him how to give his first kiss.

I love the way that Moon and Bre
Lakeisha
That COVER!!! lawddddd it Hot *fans self* drool drool. Hmm who is Odsidian???? either I cant remember, or its a new character introduction or the one in the comma 880...
Rōnin
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved Obsidian!

This installment was highly anticipated and thoroughly enjoyed!

Not one to ‘Spoil’ a plot, which is why I never rehash the novel—I will share that I loved how Ms. Dohner chose to take an unconventional route (from her previous books) to tell Obsidian’s story. Instead of the anti-New Species kidnappings, rhetoric spewing and shenanigans that normally take place this novel was truly about Obsidian’s struggle to become a citizen of NSO society and not the proverbial ‘lone wolf’ or ‘
Kathleen
By all rights, this should have been a heartwarming, engrossing, and highly erotic story. Well, the erotic scenes are yummy, and when that's all I want, I'll come back to Obsidian. He is haaawt. And funny, always with the "mine" and giving orders in the bedroom. "Strip!"

I suppose I'm greedy, wanting some engrossing story to go with my sex, but -- wow -- there wasn't much happening here, beyond the solid gold opening when Dr. Allison (rashly, illegally, and unprofessionally) saved Patient 880 fr
Jacqueline
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4-1/2 stars.
Very good addition to this series. The blurb really didn't do the book any favors. If I had just been going by that I wouldn't have picked it up. It made the book seem like it was going to be sort of hokey and trashy. But it wasn't at all.

It was really interesting to see a New Species who was brand new and hadn't acclimated at all. I thought that the doctor's motives (which seem prurient on the back cover) were quite clear and not goofy at all. The connection between the two of the
Vintage
More fun and OTT ridiculousness with a Me Tarzan, you Jane alpha dog charmer.

Obsidian was so much fun. No filter AT ALL. Laurann Dohner created a man-child with the brawn and sex drive of a sexy alpha hero and the id and self-restraint of a toddler. He's kind of charming in his Tarzan directness regarding sex, food, sex, sex..., and makes the H in Fury sound like Cole Porter. Bra? You don't need no stinkin' bra!

Alli, the H, is the rather bland but brilliant doctor he sets his sight and scent on
Rin W. Vitale
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved loved this!

Don't you just love it when a furious dog turns into cute puppy? Ha I don't know what expression fit to explain this book about, but its kind of fit, me thinks :p.

I loved Obsidian, I loved Alli, I loved Obsidian and Alli loved each other. <3
Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySKANKY ⚓️ Steamy Reads

I didn't like it as much as Fury, Slade, Brawn or Justice's stories, but being that I thought Wrath sucked and Tiger was meh, I am happy to see Dohner has redeemed herself with this one IMHO. Looking forward to the next one! Maybe Darkness???
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, alpha-male
I enjoyed this news addition to the New Species Series. Some of it felt recycled, though. I didn't quite get behind Obsidian. He needed a bit more redeeming in my mind, for some reason. I wonder why none of the primate New Species get a book? Good addition. I'll keep reading the series.
Twilla
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. But everything from Laurann Dohner is amazing and smoking hot!
  • Revealed (Brides of the Kindred, #5)
  • Croc and the Fox (Furry United Coalition, #3)
  • The Breed Next Door (Breeds, #6)
  • Zane's Redemption (Scanguards Vampires, #5)
  • Hard Mated (Shifters Unbound, #3.5)
  • Enemy Mine (Alpha and Omega, #2)
  • The Bound Prince (Lords of the Var, #3)
  • Abducting Abby (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #1)
  • Lyon's Price (Zodiac Cyborgs, #1)
  • Dementia (Trek Mi Q'an, #5.5)
  • Sophie's Dragon (Supernatural Bonds, #3)
3190846
I had a rather short area here telling a little about me but then I had more than a few people ask me to expand it so... here goes. LOL. I'm a full time home 'supervisor' which is a nice word for saying I'm a housewife. I'm married happily, I met my dream guy 20 years ago, and we have 4 children. I live in Southern California and I can't function without iced coffee. I believe in romance, I've alw ...more
More about Laurann Dohner...

New Species (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Fury (New Species, #1)
  • Slade (New Species, #2)
  • Valiant (New Species, #3)
  • Justice (New Species, #4)
  • Brawn (New Species, #5)
  • Wrath (New Species, #6)
  • Tiger (New Species, #7)
  • Shadow (New Species, #9)
  • Moon (New Species, #10)
  • True (New Species, #11)
“Holding on to the past means you can never be open to having a future” 218 likes
“His voice deepened. "Sign them. We´re in the bedroom and i´m giving you an order.” 94 likes