Start by marking “Come and Join the Dance” as Want to Read:
Come and Join the Dance

Come and Join the Dance

Joyce Johnson's first novel (published under her maiden name, of course). A novel from the Beat generation.
Hardcover
Published 1962 by Atheneum (first published 1961)

Maria
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s interesting to finally read about the women of the Beat Generation.
Jenn Storey
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had a few questions along the way - a few points where I was unsure what she was (literally) trying to say on the micro level. Macro level? Artfully composed. The lines of tension are perfect. Our protagonist is a universal character coming of age at a time when women weren't allowed to come of age. This is something most female readers will be able to relate to, understand, and dissect for both personal growth and literary commentary to bring into the Beat conversation. A.K.A. Susan is a very ...more
Zara Rahman
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a short book, but a charming one. I never knew this until recently, when a friend recommended this book to me, but Joyce Johnson was the first woman novelist of the Beat generation. Reading about that time from a female perspective puts it in a whole new light for me (and almost makes me a bit embarrassed that I never asked earlier - where are the women writers from this period?)

Really, really recommended, especially for those who have read Kerouac or are interested in that period.
Dean
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Johnson is best known for "Minor Characters," her very fine memoir of the Beat Generation and in particular her relationship with Jack Kerouac; but "Come and Join the Dance" is an interesting coming-of-age novel in this context. It's on the slight side, and short, but it's sincere and in the end, moving in its small way. Recommended.
Kylie Combs
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I kinda feel like I wrote this book in another life. But it wasn't what I expected at the same time, which is actually pretty wonderful. Joyce Johnson is enthralling to me, and this might be one of my favorite Beat books I've read so far. I love Jack Kerouac, but this book actually gave a meaning behind the Beat actions. It wasn't just to rebel or find the next kick, it was to find who you are, who you love, and what you love. It is devastatingly beautiful.
Brittney
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Joyce Johnson. This book is an excellent representation of the hopelessness and beauty of the Beat Era. It is a great look at the misfits and artists of that time. Susan is wonderful with her desire to fit in by not fitting in, and her desire to find her place amongst this society. Well.done.
Steve
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a quiet novel and an easy read. The narration is almost too subtle, but the story, on the surface only about sex, delves into a woman coming into her own.
Tommy
Derek
Sep 10, 2015
Rachael Elliott
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Favorite book of all time. Need an original version.
« previous 1 3 next »
Born Joyce Glassman to a Jewish family in Queens, New York, Joyce was raised on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, just around the corner from the apartment of William S. Burroughs and Joan Vollmer Burroughs. Allen Ginsberg and Kerouac were frequent visitors to Burroughs' apartment.

At the age of 13, Joyce rebelled against her controlling parents and began hanging out in Washington Square. She matri