Start by marking “O Holy Insurgency” as Want to Read:
O Holy Insurgency

O Holy Insurgency

Mary Biddinger is the author of the poetry collections Prairie Fever (Steel Toe Books, 2007) and Saint Monica (Black Lawrence Press, 2011), and co-editor of one volume of criticism: The Monkey and the Wrench: Essays into Contemporary Poetics (U Akron P, 2011). Her poems have recently appeared or are forthcoming in Barrelhouse, Bat City Review, Blackbird, H_NGM_N, Forklift, ...more
Paperback, 1st, 91 pages
Published March 19th 2013 by Black Lawrence Press (first published October 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about O Holy Insurgency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Holy Insurgency

Shaindel
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I finished O Holy Insurgency this morning. This is one of those poetry collections I took a while to read because I felt like the poems were dense and complex, and I wanted time to think about them, to read a few poems a night and then re-read them, sometimes starting over at the beginning.

What I loved most was the combined sense of playfulness always toying with the hint of danger underneath. Impeccable!
Robert Beveridge
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the world!
Mary Biddinger, O Holy Insurgency (Black Lawrence Press, 2013)

The publication of a new book by Mary Biddinger is—or damned well should be—cause for celebration. O Holy Insurgency is her third release, following 2006's Prairie Fever and 2010's Saint Monica, and it's going to continue on in the Goat Central/Popcorn for Breakfast tradition of “every book Mary Biddinger releases gets four and a half stars or higher.” Honestly, I'd be giving this one five if not for a personal quirk. I know it's now
Maria Kiguthi
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read each poem at least twice on different occasions. My interpretation was different each time I read a poem. Very good reading for poetry lovers. I received a copy thru Goodreads First Reads.
Dillon Welch
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
from American Microreviews and Interviews

What is most interesting about Mary Biddinger’s collection, O Holy Insurgency, is also what is most often overlooked in the lap of life: the dizzying specifics, a man watching a newspaper slide into a lake, a “roof [collapsing] / under the weight of its squirrels.” Biddinger dazzles with the ordinary, often reveling in images that are both familiar in content, while still remaining unanticipated by the reader. In “Naturalism”:

...I slipped my arms up
the
Tim Tibbitts
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Crazy, sexy, cool. I was impressed with Mary Biddinger at the Breaking Genres Workshop at CWRU on May 31, so I picked up a copy of this slim volume of poems. This collection takes the tradition of passionate poems addressed to a lover and turns up the heat:

"...you/invented me with your mouth./We were cut from the same cloth/ of awesomeness. Our glory/ could stop wars. The azaleas shut/ their blooms when you opened/ me. A new kind of reverence/ broke tabletops instead of mending."
Karen
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-books
Biddinger’s third collection turns the broken Midwest landscape into a utopian world, a place where heroes and heroines could be children buying cigarettes or lovers relishing the feel of broken glass and the smell of gasoline.
Molly
Matthew Hittinger
Apr 11, 2013
Lily
Jun 20, 2013
Mary Biddinger is the author of six full-length poetry collections, including Small Enterprise, The Czar, and Partial Genius, her first book of prose poems (Black Lawrence Press, forthcoming August 2019). She teaches literature and creative writing at The University of Akron and NEOMFA program, and edits the Akron Series in Poetry for The University of Akron Press. Poems have recently appeared or ...more