Start by marking “The Awakening (Hasea Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
The Awakening (Hasea Chronicles #1)

The Awakening (Hasea Chronicles #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,463 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Alexander Eden is one unhappy teenager. A geeky, social pariah, he's the victim of constant bullying at school. His home life isn't much better with a stepfather who resents him and a half brother who is better than him at everything.

But that all changes the day the mysterious and beautiful Gabriella De Luca walks into his life. Everyone wants to know her, to be with her.
Published February 1st 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Awakening, please sign up.
Stuart Meczes Hi, thanks for asking and sorry for the very late reply. All the books in the series will be getting an audiobook release once the final book releases…moreHi, thanks for asking and sorry for the very late reply. All the books in the series will be getting an audiobook release once the final book releases early next year. Watch this space!(less)

D
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent fist novel about the supernatural and many different kinds of awakening that occur to a teen age hero, Alex. The story starts with our hero, Alex, as the social reject of his high school. He's ridiculed and humiliated unmercifully every day. And then there's the physical bullying and beatings he endures, too, at the hands of one of the school administrators hoodlum son and his gang. It's heartbreaking and easy to root for young Alex - wishing he will get some kind of break from his ...more
Naomi
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow! For a first novel this was utterly fantastic!
I was engaged from the first chapter. The characters are awesome. The storyline is action-packed & the romance is totally believable.
Alex Eden is a teen boy who gets bullied all the time & basically his life is a living hell.....that is until Gabriella starts at his school & they both hit it off straight away. Alex can't believe that she has taken an interest in him but soon discovers why as strange things start to happen. Alex discov
Nina
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Was a bit unsure about this book when I started it as it's not the normal sort of book I would read but as the plot unfolded I really loved it and didnt want to put it down.
I would describe it as Xmen Versus Blade with relationships.
By the end of this first in a series I was captivated and felt that I knew that characters. I'm really looking forward to finding out what comes next...
Joselyn  Moreno Burke
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
waooo it was a super great book, I mean it had everything fun, romance, suspense. It was a great read and I couldnt really put it away, every sentence leave me craving for more and more. I hope to soon be able to read the second book because I want to continue this journey that have trapped me in its vortex.
Sam Nyfeler
I wanted to try a "super hero" story and had read several positive reviews for this book. I enjoyed the story a lot and felt the author did an excellent job of describing the environment and flow of the story. My main complaint was that it seemed more geared towards adolescents than an adult audience. I think if I had read this book in my teens I would have enjoyed it more.
Thomas Ogden
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys fantasy
Recommended to Thomas by: My sister Alice
Borrowed it from my sister Alice who won it on here, absolutely bloody amazing book, can't wait for the next, and I know books, having been reading them since I was five. To be honest, I tried the Twilight series but it was so crap, I honestly can't see people's obsession with it, but this I can really get into.
Kem
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just started reading this book like an hour ago, and I'm a quarter thru already.... And I would give it 12 out of 10. It's great read. It's so refreshing to read a book based in London with English slang it gets a bit tedious always reading American books.
MaxOnline
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not enough depth and somewhat childish (i.e. in terms of predictability). The storyline is easy to follow and the book reads quickly. So not bad to kill some time in terms of escapism, however, it only gets 3 stars.
Ronnie
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this felt like i was reading twilight. UHHGGGG
Tricia (McAllister) Houseman
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
When you begin this book, it takes a bit to get use to the idea that the writer is trying to express. It is almost like a jumble of ideas floating around but you have yet to figure out who they are all connected.
This is not your typical paranormal type of book. In this world, or worlds, you will find a new idea of where the different paranormal types come from. But to get to that point you have to go though the jumble of ideas in the beginning.
I almost stopped reading the book altogether. I did
Sabrina
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My Thoughts:
Don't you just love the tense moment in the book title is used? Gosh, so do I ;)

This book is packed with literally everything you could possibly ask for in any book. I love this book to pieces and is my first urban fantasy. The mix of the supernatural creature all in one book was an enjoyment and refreshing as many of the books that I have come across only focus on the one. Everything was so perfectly written, with detailed descriptions that fascinated me, and Alexander's narration t
Stephen
Stuart Meczes has created a wild ride with 'The Awakening'!

This book is much like a mash-up of the X-Men, Lost Girl, The Chronicle of Narnia, and Underworld. It has heroes with super-powers. It has monsters of myth and legend, it has epic battles between good and evil, and it has lots of guns and swords!

I enjoyed reading this story for so many reasons. The main character, Alexander (Alex) Eden, was well developed and the reader quickly gains an empathy with his situations in life. He is an awkw
Rachel Bustin
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a YA novel in a while and so when I saw this ebook of The Awakening by Stuart Meczes, I couldn't wait to give it a go. I find YA books quick and easy to read with really great stories. This ebook is the first part of an urban fantasy series called The Hasea Chronicles. The second and third instalments are The Veil Corruption and Without A Heartbeat.

I have never read a fantasy series that has taken my breath away like The Awakening did with me. I have been totally hooked on this se
GeorgiLvsBooks
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex... Poor Alex. His father died when he was just a baby. Hated by his step father, tormented and beat up at school. No one would give him a second glance. Loner. Until Gabriella comes along. From day 1 they felt a connection to each other. Alex finally felt worthy and happy.

There is something special about Alex. He notices changes and weird things happening to him. He goes through a transformation. He is now stronger, sexier and popular.

He is a Chosen. Someone who is to protect the humans f
Ian Rutter
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's a really great read, which you feel and root for the two main characters and the others that are their friends.
I'm not going to give away too much of the story, but it is a really good story of how a no-body becomes a somebody. A hero to some, a saviour to others. It's a great story of good vs. evil.

There is plenty of action, well detailed and written.
It's dark in nature. You feel for Alex, the way he is at school. The way he gets treated because he is zero, nothing in the eyes of everyone
Melanie
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this item for free from Tomoson.com in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

To be honest, when I saw this item available for review, I was hesitant to try it just based upon the picture alone. I'm not fond of this picture, as I feel it kind of has a military feel to it which made me think of crime stories which just aren't my thing.

So they say not to judge a book by its cover, and in this case it's very true. The Awakening is easily one of the very best books I've re
Alan
This was a fun read, and it was a lot longer then I originally thought, but I'm not complaining. It was almost like 3 books in one. The story follows a boy who is a social outcast, until one day a beautiful transfer student takes an interest in him. Then he starts developing new abilities such as super speed and enhanced reflexes. He finds out that his crush knows more the she's letting on, and that there are actually things to be afraid of in the dark.

This book had very well developed character
Penny Minding Mom
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sleep...it's one thing I hold very precious to me. When a book causes me to stay up til the wee hours of the morning you know it's a fantastic book.

"The Awakening" by Stuart Meczes tells the tale of Alexander Eden. A geeky high school student who is bullied at home and school. When the beautiful Gabriella De Luca takes an interest in him, Alex's life is forever changed. When an ancient evil threatens his world and those he loves, can Alex become the Saviour that they need?

From the moment that I
Rachel
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Awakening starts of with a teenage boy, living in London, England called Alex. He is unhappy with much of his life, he had no friends, was bullied and he could do nothing right when it came to his stepfather as hs half brother was better than everything compared to him.
His life changes when he meets a new student, Gabriella who takes an interest in him and then strange things start happening.

What can I say WOW The Awakening is an amazing book, I loved it completely. There was action, fantasy
Pete
I read the awakening thought it was great. I had pre conceptions that it was going to be like harry potter or Twilight, however the book reminded me of the popular book Nothern Lights. Throughout the book you see a character progression, they are all really interesting, the
character bio for each character is available on the website link below. Alex is a typical geek who happens to come across this mysterious character called Gabriella Deluca who sounds beautiful! She soon takes a liking to Alex
Createabuzz
I read this book through for the first time a few weeks after purchasing it from amazon as a kindle ebook ago and i was immediately draw in. I found myself racing through the pages dying to now what was going to happen in the next chapter.

My Favourite genre of books are fantasy booksand action books and this book certainly hits the spot. The character Alex transforms from a geek into a guy with magical powers, it is almost a stereotypical transformation however the book is written in such a way
Zoe♥
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remind yourself to breath as you race through this book.
The Awakening (HASEA CHRONICLES)
You have to buy this book, from the moment i picked it up i couldnt put it down or read it any quicker. I found the vast mix of supernatural charecters refreshing compared to the majority of books in this genre who seem to go down the vampire route. Although there are vampires thrown in the mix there are so many more interesting and well described mythical beings to read about. I really enjoyed this book and
Cheryl M-M
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to say I do not get all the references some of the other reviewers have made to Harry Potter and Twilight. It doesn't have an owl toting magician in it or a lovesick girl drooling over a sparkly vampire either.
It is however a book I would recommend to YA and adults alike. Although it has a vampire subplot, which some either like or love to hate, it is more of a fantasy meets supernatural and a strong teenage message to boot kind of book. Any book that draws the attention to bullying is co
Romie
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vicki Smith
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: evryone
A good read, two main characters and the others that are their friends, great story of good vs. evil. This book is of the kinda the dark nature and mature, lot of action. The way the book reads and explains the changes in people's attitudes against Alex is very well done, you feel for Alex, as if you are there. All in an excellent story. Well worth every penny. Hard hitting, sad, heroic and keeps you reading.When I first started reading this book, I wasn't sure if I could relate to the down-trod ...more
Irma Sage
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy and YA Readers
“The Hasea Chronicles” by Stuart Meczes.

Stuart Meczes In book 1 “The Awakening” I cried, laughed, yelled, and there was a lot of “awe” by me ha-ha. It’s full of action, suspense, romance, and sadness, that anyone would enjoy this book. There is so much detail and emotions you feel like you’re right in the middle of it! It’s as if the characters have come to life.

Honestly, “The Awakening” has jumped to my top 5 all-time favorite novels. Let me put it this way, I was so into this book that my hu
Liquid Frost
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
As usual, I don't read any comments before starting a book. This was a kindle freebie and a nice surprise. This book is definitely fantasy, but I wouldn't necessarily put it in under YA. It had good levels of action, death, drinking, and sex. Admittedly, the story follows the "hero's journey" to the letter. Meczes makes it work with just enough twists and treachery.

The dialogue was pretty good and the scenes were described quite well. Connecting to the characters was quite easy. I seem to be on
Alice Briggs
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Thomas Ogden
I think it was amazing, constantly keeping the reader thinking. I particularly like how you ended the epilogue, that really made me want to read your next book in the series. However I have noticed a few typeoes e.g. the opening speach marks. Other than that I thought it was absolutly amazing. I actually cried when Alex thought that Gabriella had died and I so glad that she didn't. Have you thought of making it into a film? If you have I would certainly watch it. I couldn't put the book down. I ...more
Spence
Dec 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Could not finish - 60% or so.

The only thing that prevented this book from being entirely predictable and rehashed is that it stuttered so awkwardly through its ideas. Didactic and pedantic. Also, the author and subsequent editors seem deathly afraid of commas. Sure, grammar and formatting should not play into a review of a book, but here it went beyond the pale. I don't know. Maybe the last third rocks. Maybe I'll try again some day. All I can say right now is that what I did read was an unfortu
Dan Loach
Jul 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
I read this after hearing that a student at Birmingham Uni at which I'm currently studying had written a best seller. Good lord, why? It's a standard juvenile first outing which shows little promise of a real quality writer beneath the surface. It's your standard young adult outing of an underdog finding out he's special. It's been done endlessly and was a tired approach more than ten years ago after Harry Potter exploded into the public eye, and it's been done far, far better. Just avoid.
  • Contractor (The Contractors, #1)
  • Duel Nature (Demon Accords, #4)
  • Psion Delta (Psion, #3)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Songreaver (Songreaver's Tale, #3)
  • The Black Stars (The Planet Thieves, #2)
  • The Academy (The Central, #1)
  • Dark Light of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #2)
  • Holier Than Thou (The Tome of Bill, #4)
  • A Stolen Crown (The Book of One, #2)
  • The Apprentice (A Knight's Journey, #1)
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • Jack Kursed (Damned and Cursed, #3)
  • Exiled (The Protector, #1)

Hasea Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Veil: Corruption (Hasea Chronicles #2)
  • The Veil (Hasea Chronicles #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)