Start by marking “What a Boy Wants (What a Boy Wants, #1)” as Want to Read:
What a Boy Wants (What a Boy Wants, #1)

What a Boy Wants

(What a Boy Wants #1)

Courtesy of watching his mom’s relationships, Sebastian Hawkins knows what girls need to do to get a guy. He has what he considers a PHD in hooking up. When he needs extra cash for a car, Sebastian starts up an online venture as The Hook-up Doctor, to anonymously help girls land the guy of their dreams. Of course, his services don’t offer a happily-ever-after guarantee. He ...more
Nook, 248 pages
Published April 6th 2012

To ask other readers questions about What a Boy Wants, please sign up.
Yogesh Jain I would like to read abt it too.. Especially if it has the twin girl confusion lol...
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesEasy by Tammara WebberThoughtless by S.C. StephensSlammed by Colleen Hoover
I AM IN LOVE !!!
3,588 books — 6,231 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Jordan by Miranda KenneallyThe Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty MoseleyThe Vincent Boys by Abbi GlinesCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
When Friends Fall In Love
920 books — 1,651 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of What a Boy Wants (What a Boy Wants, #1)
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Karla
Shelves: young-adult
(This is an Adult-who-enjoys-reliving-the-stirrings-of-first-love-and-self-discovery-during-the-teen-years-through-YA books review)

5 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! (As Bastian would say ^_^) WHAT A BOY WANTS was just what I wanted right now!

Thanks again to Karla for recommending this to me! Karla, sweetie, you can recommend YA reads to me ANY TIME, from now on! ^_^

WHAT A BOY WANTS is such a fun, cute, sweet, heart-warming, charming and high
Fred
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Molly Ringle, Lauren Barnholdt, Jennifer Echols
Shelves: srsly-tbr-asap
This is a cute, fun and sweet read about a self-described love 'em & leave 'em type, who passes out online advice as the "Hook-up Doctor," and his female (totally platonic) best friend. You'll never guess what happens! Ok, so maybe you might, Ms. "Smarty-pants I've read lots of YA know-it-all." But that doesn't prevent this from being a charming and endearing story of crazy first love, a fatuous boy and his self defeating antics. Narrator Bastian is full of bluff, bravado and bro-ness, and posse ...more
Kim
May 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
I am aware of the throng of fans that exist for this book, and I am awfully sorry that this book was not for me at all. Something in the book didn't connect with me. My opinions are strictly impersonal. Feel free to point out that we have different brain structures and therefore have different preferences.
Firstly, shouldn't alarm bells be ringing about the fact that a woman is writing about what men want? It has struck me, though, that men technically NEVER write chick-lit, so if there is an aut
Karla
Bravo Nyrae Dawn…well done!! What delightful, charming, captivating story!!! Simple premise, wonderful execution. I haven’t been 17 for a very long time, but you made feel so young.

I ADORED Sebastian and his cocky arrogance, yet at the same time he was protective, caring, and devoted to his friends and mother. This sweet teenage romance had the typical elements for this kind of story, but it was also about mending broken friendships, and the love between a mother and her son. I cracked up when I
Furiah  Leslie
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OK this book cracks me up so much. i am now half way through it love it. i am a young adult myself and can totally relate to the heroine in this book. emotions running high and secretly being in love with your best friend. its all so familiar. Sebastian has a great sense of humor that that has made it hard to put down this book. while reading i would find myself going 'yeah' and 'i know how you feel' and smiling to myself and the people around me must be wondering what in grinning about. I cant ...more
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Sebastian is a 17 year old boy who wants to buy a car. To earn money he becomes a modern day Dear Abby by running a blog/e-mail service helping girls land the guys of their dreams. His alias is The Hook-up Doctor.

What will happen when The Hook-up Doctor falls in love?? Is he capable of loving someone?
description
This monkey is for Renee

SERIES:
What a Boy Wants (What a Boy Wants, #1) by Nyrae Dawn What a Boy Needs (What a Boy Wants, #2) by Nyrae Dawn
No cliffhanger. Spinoff
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-na
OMG Pictures, Images and Photos

I am 27 yrs old and I am reduced to the above right now... Yep OMG, omg, OH MY GOD! I have fallen hard for this 17 year old!

Sebastian, Pris, Aspen and Jaden are just awesome... they remind me of being 17 and being desperately in love and trying to get over that friend to lover thing. When school was important but not really it was more about cars, girls (well boys for me!), the weekend and hook ups were top of the list!

This book was just great. It made me smile, laugh, cringe, smirk, want
Charlotte
3.5 - 4 Stars

What A Boy Wants was a refreshing change from all the female pov's I've read lately in this genre. I adored Sebastian, the main character, and enjoyed reading what felt like a pretty authentic male perspective. This was a fun, mostly fluffy, light and easy read. I recommend it if you're looking for something sweet.

Kudos to Nyrae Dawn on a wonderful debut novel. I look forward to more from her in the future. (Especially if the next book is about Jaden.) ;)
Jen
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
**I HAD THE CHANCE TO INTERVIEW SEBASTIAN!!** CHECK IT OUT ON MY BLOG http://jenuinecupcakes.blogspot.com/2...

THIS.COVER. *fights urge to ruffle guys hair*

OK, So I have to be honest...the cover is what made me check this book out. *giggles* (I seriously wanted to run my fingers through his hair which is both funny and ironic. Read the book and you'll understand.)

This is a quick read that provides a funny, refreshing take on love and relationships from a guy's POV. Sebastian is the "Hook-Up Docto
Autumn Review
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you follow my blog you know I usually do my own summary of the book for my reviews, but I couldn't quite capture Bastian's personality, so I left it as the expert wrote it. This book is an amazing little read that I was TOLD to read immediately. I'm so glad I did. This book totally exceeding my expectations.

On the first page of this book, I was cracking up! The book is told from Bastian's perspective and I love reading books from a male POV (point of view). Sebastian is simply adorable! The
Kalejay
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Five stars!!

First of all, I'll be honest. I decided to read this based on two things:

1) It was popping up on Kelley York's update feed a bunch of times and I freaking loved her book, Hushed (read it for the love of sweet baby Jesus, read it!)

and 2) The cover. Yeah yeah, sue me, whatever, but hello, cute boy! LOL (who is the perfect Sebastian)

That being said, I'm glad I did because this is such a sweet story! I love Sebastian. He is the sweetest, most kind-hearted guy. I love how he loves his mom
Booknut
Rating: 4.1

“We're guys. Half the time, we don't know who we are. It helps things become a lot easier if we know who you are.”

Sebastian by day, the Hook-up Doctor by night - and never, ever Seb. Sebastian's got the answers, if you've got the money. Need a guy? Need him to notice you? Need to find the one true love of your life, or even someone to just date for the hell of it? He's got the moves, the lines and the best ways to get that guy you want. And he's never, ever, had a failure. It's 100%
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Spoiler Free Review
4 STARS
Genre: Young Adult Romance/Chick Lit
Series: Book#1 in What A Boy Wants Series

"Did you kiss her?" she wispered
"Hell no. These lips belong to you."
-Sabastian inWhat A Boy Wants

In order to earn extra cash to buy a car Sabastian Hawkins has an online Blog where he anonymously goes by the name Hook-up Doctor. His credentials?! Watching his mother go through heartbreak after heartbreak with a string of failed relationships. He firmly believes that he knows what a girl needs
Karen
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this book hoping for a light, quick read based on Jen's (What's on the Bookshelf) Must Read Monday meme reccomendation. Plus it was a boy POV – my favorite!

I started it around 9:30 pm to get a few chapters in before i drifted off to sleep and ended up reading until 2 am! What a Boy Wants was definitely the fun book I was looking for.

Sebastian Hawkins, the Hook-up Doctor, is giving internet advice to girls on how to reel in the boy of their dreams so he can earn cash to buy a new car. Fo
Katie
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Typically, I'm not really into indie authors. I've tried a few, and I didn't find any of their books that satisfying (even ones that other bloggers have loved, like Tammara Webber and Jamie McGuire). So even though I'd heard really good things about this book, I wasn't sure. But OMG I'm so glad I read it! Because this is the first indie that I've actually liked.

Mostly, I liked this book because of Sebastian. He's hilarious. Nyrae Dawn really nailed the voice with this one, I think, and that was
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One word. AMAZING! Holy crapola!! I bought this book off of Amazon because it was recommended to me by Amazon. I clicked, read and liked the synopsis, for .99 cents, I figured why not? This has got to be one the best book choices I have made. Not only did it set a record for me, but it is soo good. The record. I was 5 pages in. F I V E pages, before I put my iphone down to get back on Amazon to purchase the second book. 5 PAGES! That's all it took.

The reason I loved this book so much is that thi
Jolene Perry
This book is MADE of fun.

There's some hilarity, some great sexy scenes, and a knock-you over fun love story with great setting.

I LOVE that Sebastian Hawkins . . .
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-lending
Really cute read! I read it all before bed last night and I had some good laugh. Bastian was hilarious.
Amber Hughes
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I wish I was a writer/reviewer so I could really convey how I felt about a book. This is one of those times. All I can say is that I loved everything about this book, but my favorite thing about it was the main character Sebastian (AKA "Bastian" AKA "The Hook-up Doctor"). You can't help but fall in love with this character. This story is told from his POV (I love reading from the male POV). He made me LOL a lot in this book and you can also tell how much he cares for the people in his ...more
Jenny Morris
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So much FUN. Seriously. I love boys POV when they are done right and this is one of those times. Nyrae takes you on a ride with this silly, but Cocky teenage boy and shows you what it's like to be "that" guy. Sebastian starts out thinking he knows it all but ends up realizing he might not know anything about girls. His journey of realizing he loves his best friend and figuring out what that really means is great. He was funny, and entertaining and deep down a sweet guy. Well not too sweet, but j ...more
Steph Campbell
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Eep! SO excited for this one!!
Annie Brewer
Totally in love with this book. Review to come!

I absolutely adored this book. From the time we meet Sebastian Hawkins to the time we say goodbye. He was amazing. I loved his POV in this. I've always said how much I love the male's perspective and I never get tired of it. It was fresh and a thrill ride all the way through.

Sebastian is known as the Hook-Up Doctor. He hooks girls up with the guy of their dreams, giving them plenty of advice to go for it and giving tips on what guys want. He knows t
Reena Jacobs
EDIT:
Okay... the review. Also posted July 2, 2012 on Ramblings of an Amateur Writer: http://reenajacobs.com/blog/2012/07/n... Follow the link for a chance to win a copy of What A Boy Wants! Giveaway Ends July 4, 2012

By far the best read I've had all year. I'm totally buying "What a Boy Needs" RIGHT NOW! I'll add more to me review later. Right now I've got to get that book!

First of all, I love Nyrae Dawn’s voice. Her style was a bit different that I’m used to… she actually wrote as if she was tal
The Sweet Bookshelf
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Whoa! Huzzah! I haven't liked a YA Contemporary this much since Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. You know how much we all loved that!! It was such a pleasant surprise. I actually read it in one sitting. I was making dinner and I was glued to my Kindle the whole time. I couldn't stop reading. I didn't want to either. Amen for the Kindle!

Sebastian is such a cool guy. He wears Van's. I had such a clear picture of him in my head, plus the cover of the book helps a lot. Looks like he wa
Jess Schira
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-challenge, 2014
This is probably one of the best indie books I’ve ever read. It was a special treat I didn’t expect.

The first thing that makes stand out for me is the narrator. I’ve read YA romance novels where parts of the book where narrated by male character, but never the entire story, particularly not a romance that’s so clearly meant to be fluffy and fun, not a gritty brutal side of life novel.

Bastian is a pretty typical 17 year old guy, he likes hooking up with hot girls, he wants a car, and he wants t
Kelly
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kelly by: Carly
This is the first work I've read from the author, Nyrae Dawn, and based on this book I would definitely give more of her work a read when it's published.

The story follows 17 year-old Sebastian helping girls get guys in his role as the anonymous online Hook-Up Doctor. He charges them for his help so he can buy a car. Along the way realises he's in love for the first time and the girl is his best friend. The only problem is he's seen his mum have her heart broken countless times over the years and
★Ruth★
I LOVED this book.

I have read a few books written from the guy's POV.
Some are great, some not so much. This was great.

I loved how on top the story was just your normal happy go lucky romantic YA. Witty comments, high school carrying on, guys been jerks etc. But underneath there was a darker undercurrent, you sensed that everything wasn't as good as it appeared.

Sebastian is a great character, though he can be a jerk at times & though I am not a teenage boy I imagine his voice & inner musings were
Lenore Kosinski
Thoroughly enjoyable! Sebastian was adorable...it was kind of fun to read from the guy's POV and have it actually be believably a guy's...kwim? So much fun to watch him change and grow. He and Aspen are perfect for each other... And not just those two, but the 4 best friends were great to watch....
Splage
Great, clean, sweet, young adult book. This book went by so fast, once I got going I couldn't stop. I loved all the characters, especially Sebastian and Aspen. They had such a genuine love going from best friends since the age of 5 to boyfriend/girlfriend at age 17. There were lots of typical young relationship angst and uncertainty, pretty predictable, but very enjoyable.

Kimi
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a cute story. Would also make a cute movie.
Crazy for Young A...: What a Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn → Start Date: September 10th , 2013 32 26 Sep 12, 2013 09:11AM
My YA Obsession: What a Boy Wants 5 43 Jun 01, 2012 01:45AM

• Shut Out
  • V is for Virgin (V is for Virgin, #1)
  • A is for Abstinence (V is for Virgin #2)
  • Rumor Has It (Rumor Has It, #1)
  • Keep Holding On
  • Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)
  • Epic Fail
  • My Favorite Mistake (My Favorite Mistake, #1)
  • Broken Hill High (Broken Hill High #1)
  • Living Out Loud (Free Fall #4)
  • The Boyfriend League
  • Paint the Stars (Free Fall #3)
  • Something like Normal
  • I Hate You More
  • Tempting the Best Man (Gamble Brothers, #1)
  • How to Date a Nerd (How To #1)
  • Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)
  • The Boyfriend Thief (Stolen Kiss, #1)
I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction.

I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me.

I live in Southern California with my husband and two children.

What a Boy Wants (2 books)
  • What a Boy Needs (What a Boy Wants, #2)

News & Interviews

“I'll be like your bodyguard or something. Me Tarzan. You Jane.” 86 likes
“Still I pulled her into a hug, because I knew she let me off the hook on purpose and yeah, I'm a guy and I love my mom. So shoot me. I'm man enough to hug her without feeling like a mama's boy.” 62 likes