Start by marking “An Introduction to Pleasure (Mistress Matchmaker, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Introduction to Pleasure (Mistress Matchmaker, #1)

An Introduction to Pleasure

(Mistress Matchmaker #1)

An innocent lady’s education could be a gentleman’s wicked seduction.

Published June 19th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about An Introduction to Pleasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Introduction to Pleasure

Start your review of An Introduction to Pleasure (Mistress Matchmaker, #1)
Jen
4 In Training Stars

Was this an accurate historical depiction of life in 1811 regency England?

Did it bother me?

I do love a hot forbidden romance with proper people doing very improper things.
Asmaa
Can I have an Andrew please? it would be preferable if he's the long lost twin brother of Henry Cavill, because that's exactly how I pictured him.
description
*drool* I know it's the wrong era but can you blame me for drooling?...

This is my very first historical romance, putting aside Pride and Prejudices of course. It may sound shocking I know, being new to the genre, I should have begun with something famous that I'm sure would have loved like Kathleen E. Woodiwiss or Lisa Kleypas who wrote the prime of
Ivy H
I was all set to give this 4 stars until the H Andrew stood by like a lump of useless coal and just allowed the heroine to go off with her new "protector" - who just happened to be his good friend. I didn't like that plot twist at all, because I really want my H's to do everything in their power to ensure that the heroine remains in their arms. Andrew's inaction and his little "to be or not to be" incarnation of Hamlet just made me want to bitch slap him:

description

This soured my mood for the final part of
Stella
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
My introduction to scorching hot historical romances was Maggie Robinson's Mistress by Mistake, so if you have read her Courtesan Court series you know the steaminess you can expect of An Introduction to Pleasure.

As soon as I read the above blurb of this book I was hooked and couldn't wait to read it. I mean it had one of my favourite tropes in historical erotica: the tortured sexy handsome hero educating the inexperienced young virgin in the pleasures of the flesh and the art of love, and An
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Hmm, I feel a bit guilty leaving this review and only two stars. Two stars is probably a bit generous too, but I reserve my one stars for books I've hated. This one I didn't hate, just thought was very bad. Jess Michaels is one of my favourite erotic writers and when I saw she was releasing a new books I was pretty excited. I don't think this author has released a new book for some time.

I had a really long break from reading and when I came back everything had changed. Jess Michael's Everything
Tammy Walton Grant
You know how the review box starts with the question, "What did you think?" Here's my answer: I thought I was pretty darn disappointed, that's what I thought!

I didn't initially have high expectations for this book until I remembered the reason it was on my tbr in the first place. I've read one other by Jess Michaels (Everything Forbidden, and LOVED it) and unfortunately this one didn't appeal to me nearly as much.

I didn't buy the characters, I didn't buy the backstory of either the Hero or
Lauren
An Introduction to Pleasure
3 Stars

On the verge of destitution, Lysandra Keates approaches infamous courtesan, Vivien Manning to arrange for a suitable and wealthy protector. Unfortunately, Lysandra innocence is a detriment and Vivien convinces the once rakish but now monastic and reclusive Andrew Callis to instruct her in the art of being a mistress. As Andrew and Lysandra begin their lessons, the unthinkable occurs and their physical passion leads to an even stronger emotional attachment. But
Jonetta
This story reads like an erotic version of Pygmalion. Instead of Lysandra Keats being taught the proper way to speak the King's English, Viscount Andrew Callis has agreed to teach her the ways of a proper mistress. Lysandra has come upon desperate times and becoming a mistress is her last resort to adequately provide for her fragile mother. Andrew, once a libertine, has been a recluse since his wife's death three years ago and sees this only as a temporary "assignment."

There are certainly many
Zoe
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A perfectly ok time-pass. I think it is more erotica than historical. There is no relationship whatsoever to speak of, which is not a problem if one is looking for heat in a novel. I rarely have luck with fallen women as heroines. And this one is no exception.

The hero andrew was a widower and punished himself for his wife's death by isolating himself and rejecting life's more enjoyable pursuits. Lysandra the heroine came to him through a courtesan who did this sort of matching. Neat idea. The
KatieV
3.5 stars if I could give 1/2 stars.

I was really into this for the first half and was hoping I'd finally found a piece of erotica that I could rate 5-stars. Normally I find them far too short on plot and character building to do so in good conscience.

This one had a plot and there was genuine emotions. I teared up a few times. The sex was also hot. What dampened my enthusiasm was the last 1/4 of the book, partially because I was so stoked about the earlier chapters. In fact, I'll be honest, I
Daisy Sloan

Jess Michaels plunged me into a world I could never imagine! I was transported to world where men hold all the power. Being woman born into the lower ranks of society with no job and without prospects of a job lead to desperate acts.

Lysandra Keats has run out of options. She approaches Vivien Manning to see about becoming a mistress to one of the members of the ton. Vivien takes on Lysandra’s request and introduces her to Viscount Andrew Callis.

Andrew takes on Lysandra to instruct her on how
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a fast paced hot and erotic HR. I love the emotional attachment between Andrew and Lysandra. They grew to trust and eventually love each other. Lysandra is living in poverty and her mother is ill. Her father has died and left them broke and in debt. She has asked the help of Vivian a prized and beautiful courtesan to help teach her to become a rich lords mistress. Vivian asks Lord Andrew "Viscount Callis" to tutor her. Andrew is living a lonely and exiled life form his friends and ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Lysandra has been beaten down by life and circumstances, but has kept going, and now she wants to be instructed in the ways of a mistress. Andrew is a Viscount who's wife and premature son died 3 years ago and he stopped living when they did. He agrees to 'train' Lysandra in the lifestyle temporarily until he goes back to the country and his seclusion and grief, but along the way they both break the number 1 rule for mistresses and their protectors to not fall in love. I loved this story! Not ...more
Julie
Viscount Andrew Callis has wallowed at his country estate, in his own misery, since the death of his wife five years ago. His guilt and anguish have consumed him, and all ties to friends of his past have been severed since the "tragedy" of that night. Lord Callis only forces himself to travel to London once or twice a year to keep up duty and responsibility to his father. This is exactly the reason for his tortuous visit to society when he finds himself summoned to the residence of a well-known ...more
Daneesha
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Why does this book have an average rating of 3.91? Oh wait, I know why! Lots and lots of sex. Too bad it's lukewarm and not in the ranks of say, Renee Bernard or Cheryl Holt...

The rating is certainly not because of the characters. Ugh. Annoying Lysandra is desolate and desperate. She wants to be a mistress so that she can support herself and her mom. Oh did I mention that she's a virgin and can't even talk/think about/refer to sex without getting totally tongue tied and silly. Um, hello, maybe
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
YAY! Free today on amazon!

www.amazon.com/dp/B007XUT09C

Blurb:

An innocent lady’s education could be a gentleman’s wicked seduction.

Mistress Matchmaker, Book 1

Lysandra Keates is running out of options. Her father is dead, her mother is ill, and her efforts to find respectable employment have ended in failure. With her small savings bleeding away, she swallows her pride—and her terror—and turns to Vivien Manning, an infamous courtesan, to match her with a wealthy protector.

For years, Viscount
Kathleen
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Story Rating 4 Stars
Character Rating 4 Stars
Romance Rating 4 Stars
Heat Level 5 Stars
Overall Rating 4 Stars

It's been a while since I've read an erotic historical romance that was this HOT and you know what? I LIKED IT!!!!

This book kept me interested and wanting to just keep on reading. I liked the story very much but must say that I liked the sex/love scenes even better.

The characters to me were well written and I really liked them a lot. These two had fantastic chemistry right from the
Nat
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it

This is a story about a man who's learning to live and love again after losing his wife. And about a woman who due to life circumstances had to put her self in a position where compromising her person was the only way to gain happiness. These two person needed each other and thanks to a matchmaker they were able to discover pleasure together. I enjoyed this story and can't wait for the other series to be release.

There was a brief scene with a man name Major Gabriel Grook and a woman name
Mei
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I liked it because of the heroine. She's a strong woman that's doing anything to survive in a time when women weren't allowed to do anything else but be absolutely subjugated to men. And if she has to sell herself, then she decides to do it in a way that will give her the most. She's not crying to be rescued. I liked it!
Liloshadow (ReNee)
Loved it...but would have liked better character descriptions.

Pros: I really enjoyed this story. It was emotional, steamy, and well paced. I found it to be quite a page turner. Its a story about a lonely grief stricken man that decides as a favor to a past acquaintance; to train a naive girl to be a skilled mistress so she can make a good future match. The girl is a young lady that carries a heavy burden of caring for her sickly mother on her own. Her past employer and her 'loving' relatives
Redheaded Bookworm
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
While taking into account that this book is an erotica novel, I really wasn’t expecting much from it other than a lot of hot and steamy sex scenes. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. While this story was undoubtedly hot and steamy, there was also a lovely love story to enjoy as well. I hate to have to admit it in writing for the whole world to see, but I have to be honest with you friends, towards the end of this tale I was equal parts outraged and devastated on the heroines behalf. It’s ...more
Suz
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars - Made of smexy. Not a bad story as these things go. A fairly quick read, somewhat predictable, likeable enough characters. It was easier for me to empathize with the heroine than the hero. My patience with the over privileged who have fallen into terminal self flagellation mode is limited but fortunately the story line didn't allow for too much dwelling on that.

I had difficulty with how quickly the primaries moved from A to D in this story, but I suppose that with the nature of the
Sassy
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I really enjoy a good Historical Regency and "An Introduction to Pleasure" (Book one of Mistress Matchmakers) was absolutely awesome. The story was extremely well thought out and well written.

I loved the feisty, witty heroine, Lysandra and the handsome and gentle Widow, Andrew. The story will bring a smile to your face and tears to your eyes as you read how terribly Lysandra has been treated by her past employer, as well as the demons that Andrew has been fighting since he lost his wife.

I
Diane K. Peterson
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
In the world of erotic historical romance this is a pretty good book. Aside from all of the sexual stuff (which was well done) there was a good story with characters that experienced genuine angst and resolution. The ending was a little abrupt, but I enjoyed the book.
Jenny
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Yes I love graphic sex scenes but all the dirty talking and sex began to overshadow the story for me and that's where it lost me.
Margaret (Margot)
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I believe this is listed as HR on amazon, I would disagree, to a point. This is really more erotic HR, but who am I to complain? I enjoyed it quite a bit. In fact, it reminded me of a ~NA~ book I read recently called Escorted which I found quite entertaining - but I digress.

This was such a fun book because it didn't have the horribly used pretense of a scandalous society girl doing things inappropriate. The characters were able to be honest (to a point) and you could see the relationship develop
Karen
I would highly recommend this erotic historical love story. The erotica genre can be very hit and miss for me because I like a storyline to go along with all the steamy stuff.

Lynsandra Keates finds herself needing a protector after her family suffers financial ruin after her father's passing. With her mother's health failing Lynsandra finds a respectable position in Lord Culpepper's household, only to be thrown out when she refuses his unwanted advances. Needing to find a source of income to
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Sunny's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

To whomever loves 19th century historical romance this is sure to become a series that you will want to read. It starts off with a young woman Lysandra, going to the most renowned Matchmaker for the wealthy men of the ton, Vivien Manning.

Lysandra had the choice of going hungry or use the one resource she possessed in her favor in order to make a comfortable living for both her and her mother. She falls upon a widower Andrew Callis for a month so he can
Jill
This book had potential but I already knew the entire story within the first 50 pages. Everything was predictable and I felt disconnected with both the H/H but for different reasons. He was sort of a "half" character. Jess Michaels didn't share his thoughts/ voice in the first person very often so we only got a sprinkling of what he was thinking. I couldn't resolve his personality either because he had a very good understanding of sex and taught it pretty well for a 3 year celibate yet he was ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Marquess of Mayhem (Sins & Scoundrels #3)
  • The Scandalous Diary of Lily Layton (Sweetest Taboo #3)
  • Indecent (Regency Lovers #1)
  • The Secrets of A Lady
  • The Damsel (The Villain #4)
  • The Untamed Duke
  • Prince of Persuasion (Sins and Scoundrels #2)
  • The First Sinners (The Sinners Club, #0.5)
  • The Dove (The Villain #2)
  • Sophia and the Duke (Forever Yours Book 7)
  • The Desires of a Countess (The Jordans, #3)
  • Dangerous Duke (League of Dukes #3)
  • Wicked in His Arms (Wedded by Scandal, #2)
  • Heartless Duke (League of Dukes #2)
  • The Temptation of a Gentleman (The Jordans #2)
  • Accidentally Compromising the Duke (Wedded by Scandal, #1)
  • Nobody's Duke (League of Dukes #1)
  • Simply Sexual (House of Pleasure #1)
USA Today Bestselling author Jess Michaels likes geeky stuff, Vanilla Coke Zero, anything coconut, cheese, fluffy cats, smooth cats, any cats, many dogs and people who care about the welfare of their fellow humans. She is lucky enough to be married to her favorite person in the world and live in the heart of Dallas.

When she’s not obsessively checking her steps on Fitbit or trying out new flavors

Mistress Matchmaker (3 books)
  • For Desire Alone (Mistress Matchmaker, #2)
  • Her Perfect Match (Mistress Matchmaker, #3)
“Andrew followed the direction of her elegant hand and was surprised to see that there was, indeed, a woman in the garden below. “Yes?” He turned toward Vivien and found she was holding out a spyglass for him. “Look a little closer, you could hardly see any detail of her from all the way up here.” He tilted his head in increasing confusion. “Vivien—” “Please,” she insisted, her tone firm.

With a grunt, Andrew took the glass from her hand and peered through the viewer to the young woman below. As he focused on her face, his breath caught. She was utterly lovely. Chestnut locks framed a face with high cheekbones and full lips, not to mention china-blue eyes that lit up with delight as she paused to sniff this flower or that. Her clothing was well-worn, but when she twisted to observe her surroundings, it accentuated soft curves. Andrew shifted as a most unfamiliar feeling began to stir his loins. Desire, hot and powerful, pumped through his veins, and he lowered the spyglass in shock. He hadn’t had such a strong reaction to a woman in years.

“I assume you like what you see,” Vivien said softly. Andrew clenched his teeth. There was no hiding the swelling of his cock through the tight breeches he wore, and Vivien was too aware of such things not to notice. “She is, obviously, very pretty,” he said coolly as he handed the glass back to Vivien and turned away. He tried to think of anything, anyone, that might force the inconvenient blood upward. “She is looking for a protector,” Vivien said from behind him. “I thought you might be the right match for her.” Andrew spun around, no longer caring if his erection was obvious. “I beg your pardon?” he barked.”
4 likes
“Her name is Lysandra Keates, and she arrived uninvited on my doorstep a few days ago. I do not know the particulars of her situation as of yet, but my impression is that she is in dire straits. She has begged me to match her with a man.” “I am not looking for a mistress!” Andrew snapped, but he couldn’t help a brief, powerful image of the girl in the garden…in his bed, her legs wrapped around him as he drove into her.” 3 likes