Start by marking “Silver Moon” as Want to Read:
Silver Moon

Read Book* *Different edition

Silver Moon

Becca Thornton, divorced, middle-aged, and recently out of the closet, discovers that life can still hold some strange surprises, when she discovers that her body is changing; menopause turns her into a werewolf. Apparently she is not the only one, as a number of women in her town of Wolf's Point seem to have had the same experience. As their newest member of the pack, Bec ...more
Published May 20th 2012 by Lethe Press, Inc. (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Moon

Start your review of Silver Moon
K.J. Charles
I'm going to preface this by saying I don't like shifter and vampire books. I have no idea* why not, but I don't. I don't read series by some of my favourite authors because they have shifters and vampires as MCs and I just don't like them. It's not you it's me.

*I know exactly why, it's because I am a tremendously hidebound purist and if a vampire isn't terrible undead evil or a werewolf raging savage uncontrolled id, it's just *wrong* in my head so there. All views my own, don't @ me.

ANYWAY. I
Sadie Forsythe
*mild spoiler*
I insta-bought this when I read the blurb and saw women who turn into werewolves with the onset of menopause. Heck yeah, older women almost never get to be heroines in UF and you even more rarely see menopause discussed. I was 100% on board for this. Unfortunately, I liked the idea of it a lot more than the execution of it. I thought Becca spent far too long in her head ruminating about her situation, I spent a lot of the book bored, I wasn't truly certain what happened in and afte
Loek Krancher
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read!

This was a little bit different from what I'm used to read about wolves. Not much romance but It definitely is not lacking in originality. The storyline is great with a lot of action, mystery and magic. It keeps me on edge. Definitely worth to read this book and I can highly recommend.
heidi
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, ebook, wiscon
I love the idea of a story that is about powers manifesting at the transition into crone (in the religious sense). So frequently we read and write about girls turning into women, and with their sexuality, they get to kick ass, but this is cool because it's about becoming powerful at menopause.

Wolf's Point is a syncretic, peaceful, multicultural town in remote mountain valley. Half the town is in on a secret so well-kept that it comes as a complete surprise to Becca. It turns out that the Women O
Catherine
I had originally thought that this new edition of the book and the original edition of the book would display as separate editions, but they do not and I can't seem to split them out. The Queen of Swords edition of this book, the one with the purple cover, the wolf's head and the subtitle: "Wolves of Wolf's Point" is the new, updated version. The black and silver one is the original edition. There are some distinct differences between the two, though the basic story is the same. I hope you enjoy ...more
Baxter Trautman
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian
Charming story about menopausal women turning into werewolves. May be more fact than fiction to that!
Catherine
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
New edition of my werewolf novel, "Silver Moon."
What's different, apart from it being available once more? New cover, longer, lots of editing changes, some character modifications. Will you notice the difference if you read the first one? Probably. Is it a complete new story? Nope.
Print edition coming in June!
Dawn
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shifter
A very interesting read. Not your typical werewolf book. I never would have thought all the wolves were menopausal women.
J.A. Ironside
In all honesty, this should have taken about two days to read but I had two buddy reads and library books to finish (plus a book of my own to write) so Silver Moon took a bit of a back seat to all that. This is a light, enjoyable fantasy with a few unusual twists.

It follows MC Becca, a 50 yr old divorcee who discovers that menopause brings certain changes. No, not just the usual ones. Chosen by the ancient power of the land to become a guardian now she is past her childbearing years, Becca disc
Carol March
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shifters for the rest of us.

I love it. A werewolf story set in a small town where the tradition of certain women becoming shifters at menopause is a great change of pace from the alpha guys and gorgeous women who abound in this genre.

Becka is divorced, working at a hardware store and contemplating the journey into the last stages of her life when she notices the first signs of her transformation into her wolf identity. Alarmed, mystified, and mortified, she goes through all the stages of deali
Carol Douglas
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Silver Moon is a book in which some women become werewolves at menopause. That's a great premise! We certainly start feeling like we want to burst out of our skins then.

The premise is developed well. Becca, the protagonist, is a divorced woman who lives in a town called Wolf's Point, but she has no idea how appropriate that name is.

The other women werewolves (all the werewolves in the town are women) can tell that she's about to become one of them, and they invite her to come to a meeting where
Sieran
This was a pleasant and mostly engaging read. I was intrigued that the heroines were aged 50 or above, because I have never read a romance where the leads were older than 40 something. The romance was more low key than I expected, however, as the story focused mostly on the fantasy and danger aspects of the plot.

It was interesting that all the wolves in this story were female, which contrasts with some other werewolf romances I read where all of them were male.

Annie was a scary person, though I
Lisa R. Smith
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You decide.

Catherine Lundoff’s “Silver Moon: A Wolves of Wolf’s Point Novel” was a good depiction of a menopausal woman, but not in a humorous way, just straight up. I hoped it would be funny, the premise is funny. A clueless, straight white women hits menopause, turns into a wolf, and develops an attraction to her neighbor lady! Now that could be a comedy, but not in this story.

A fifty year old divorcee, Becca Thornton, lives in the small town of Wolfs Point. Magic or curse, it’s never clear,
Melyna
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shifter, f-f
This is why I bought this book "... menopause turns her into a werewolf." I tend to read M/M romance but this F/F story about menopausal women turning into werewolves was a must read. It is an interesting take on werewolf mythology and I enjoyed it. Although Becca was the main character, I found myself relating to Erin more. Good story with a theme I can definitely relate to. Except for the turning into a werewolf part, although that would be pretty cool, or better yet a dragon. ;-)
lauraღ
To Becca, it felt like she was waking up from a long sleep.

A fun werewolf adventure with a unique premise: in this sleepy little town, when women of a certain age start feeling that change coming upon them, well... it comes with another change too. I.e. menopause comes with a dose of lycantropy. I loved that; the premise, the pack of 50-yo+ ladies taking on werewolf hunters, and a little f/f romance all made this sound like the book of my dreams.

Unfortunately the book doesn't do an amazing job o
Heather Jones
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
When reading a contemporary werewolf story, generally one’s first thought isn’t “I love the multi-layered allegorical resonances,” but that’s what I came away with from Lundoff’s Silver Moon (originally published 2012 by Lethe Press but now reissued as one of the initial offerings of Queen of Swords Press).
Becca Thornton’s quiet life in the rural town of Wolf’s Point seems likely to be troubled only by the occasional tiresome contact from her ex-husband until three experiences intersect at once:
Hilcia
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Silver Moon, Catherine Lundoff weaves a fantasy set in a small town where only a few women are called by magic to change into werewolves when menopausal symptoms flare up. This book's premise is what sold it to me.

The story's central character is a woman of a "certain age" going through multiple changes in her life, including menopause. At first glance it might seem as if equating those biological changes with the werewolf theme is dramatic, but in fact I found it to be both creative and on t
K. Lincoln
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Becca's having hot flashes. She just divorced her husband, is finally settling into her job at the hardware store and getting to know her neighbors in the small town of Wolf's Point. But those hot flashes signal the change- only it's not just menopause Becca has to worry about.

There's the weird way the group of middle-aged women who invited her to join their club look at her now. There's that strange hair growing on her hands and the sudden urge to get back to nature. Not to mention her attracti
Kathleen Bradean
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Becca is going through menopause, but that's not the only unsettling change to her body. She's also noticing her neighbor Erin a lot more even though she's never been attracted to women before. Pimples are breaking out on her face. Heat flashes are making her miserable. Oh, and she's turning into a werewolf.

Becca has known these women for a few years but never suspected they turn into wolves at the full moon. It isn't something she wants at first, but when the pack is threatened by a self-hating
Jarla Tangh
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book Review: Silver Moon by Catherine Lundoff

'Lo People,

I am so overdue for this review. You ever read a book or watch a movie where you were yelling at the main character? Grrl what are you doing? Yup. Becca Thornton did that me. I remember hearing about the book from the author. I'm definitely in the target audience being perimenopausal, a female, and a fang-carrying, lifelong member of the shifter tribe. I am down with the Werefolk. And I'm heteroflexible enough that I can enjoy lesbian char
Sacchi Green
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An engrossing, refreshing, and action-filled book, with characters real enough that even the werewolf aspect doesn't interfere with a willing suspension of disbelief. It even, at times, enhances it. Women finding an empowerment that comes with menopause is a great theme, and the main character Becca's personal (and lupine) development is both appealing and entertaining. Beyond the individual women portrayed here, I found a special pleasure in the way the women as a group worked together, which, ...more
C.M.
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You’re never too old to howl at the moon.

Prolific short-story writer Catherine Lundoff reinvents the werewolf novel in a way that only she can.

When Becca Thornton realizes she is on the cusp of menopause, strange things begin happening. Such as the lengthening of her teeth and growing thick fur. Like getting your first period, Becca’s predicament first seems a curse—and she’s left both literally and figuratively naked. She soon finds out there’s no respite for women, we are shouldered not only
Wm
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that the straightforward prose made me shrug at first, but then as the relationships, resonances, parallels, and mythic-ness piles up, I realized that there was so much happening with those things that it make sense to go for a more transparent prose style.

Which is an aside really. What's most awesome about the book is that the concept of a town being protected by a pack of women who become werewolves at menopause is fantastic. And also that the main character's journey through
Madeline Elayne
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are a ton of paranormal books available right now which cover coming of age with the added trials and tribulations of becoming a shifter. Silver Moon is the only book I've read in which that age is, as the protagonist calls it, "That certain age." The delightfully dynamic werewolves in this novel are all women who have reached the age that too many of us feel life actually begins to end. Not for these women, though. I was captivated by Becca, and felt every inch of the sexual tension betwe ...more
Jess Faraday
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved the concept of a coming-of-age story for middle-aged women, and the parallel of the werewolf's "change" with menopause. It made becoming "a woman of a certain age" something to look forward to. For this alone the book is worth reading.

The story started to unravel about halfway through, though, which was a shame. About this point, the plot began to feel rushed, and setting and character gave way. There were also some distracting copy editing issues.

I recommend the story for ima
Lisabet Sarai
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
SILVER MOON offers a fabulously original twist on the traditional werewolf myth. Becca, a divorced woman in her fifties, discovers that in Wolf Point, menopause means more than just hot flashes and dry skin. Called by the ancient magic that surrounds and protects her beloved valley community, she experiences a transformation far more profound.

This is a sensitive and evocative book about the wildness that dwells within us all.
Naomi
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A completely charming novel about a group of women who turn into werewolves when they hit menopause. The narrative follows the mis-adventures of Becca, a newbie werewolf in the community of Wolf's Point, as she navigates all kinds strange experiences while also confronting a dangerous threat to the community. There are some really hilarious moments of sharp wit and a great cast of characters.
Cat M
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Menopausal werewolves! What's not to love?

I found this a little slow to start, and had trouble really coming to like the heroine, but once I got into it I really came around.

This is a sweet, pleasingly-suspenseful story about community and found family with the beginning of a possible lesbian romance. I'd happily read more about these characters.
Marcie Parrish
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I highly recommend this book. I can't wait for more.

Slight spoiler.....

As a fan of werewolf stories in general, it was great having a werewolf story about women of a certain age.
Mary Vermillion
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
I loved the way Lundoff's heroine grappled with so many changes at once: menopause, divorce, coming out, and burgeoning lycanthropy. At the heart of all these changes was the most important one of all: Becca's shift from fear to courage.

SILVER MOON was both funny and suspenseful.

• The Babysitter (Encounters, #1)
  • The A.I. Who Loved Me
  • All the Reasons I Need
  • Firm Hand (Perfect Hands, #1)
  • Minor Mage
  • Unfit to Print
  • The Husband Gambit
  • Joy to the Earl
  • Living
  • The Bear's Chosen Mate (Borealis Bears #1)
  • A Vector Alphabet of Interstellar Travel
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
Catherine Lundoff’s stories have appeared in over 80 publications including Callisto: A Queer Fiction Journal, The Cainite Conspiracies, Ghosts in Gaslight, Monsters in Steam, So Fey: Queer Faery Stories, The Mammoth Book of Professor Moriarty Adventures, Tales of the Unanticipated, Periphery: Erotic Lesbian Futures, Farrago’s Wainscot and Best Lesbian Erotica. She is the author of Out of This Wor ...more