Start by marking “Running for Women” as Want to Read:
Running for Women

Running for Women

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Running for Women provides comprehensive information on training female runners based on their cardiovascular, hormonal, metabolic, muscular, and anatomical characteristics. Women will learn to maximize workouts around the menstrual cycle and to guard against common injuries, disordered eating, osteoporosis, and menstrual irregularities.
Paperback, 1st, 218 pages
Published June 2012 by Human Kinetics

To ask other readers questions about Running for Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running for Women

AJ
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this was going to be "just another book about women running" but it's got a lot of detail that most books don't cover. For example, how exactly are women different from men (if you believe in such gender binary-ness) and how does this affect women's training? Honestly I don't think there's a huge difference in the way men and women should train based on what I learned in this book, but it does explain some effects that the menstrual cycle and hormones have on women based on what "time ...more
Jill
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book is based upon the experience and research of exercise physiologist, running and fitness expert Jason Karp and family practice and sports medicine physician Carolyn Smith. Fourteen chapters look at running from a purely female perspective, covering such topics as the menstrual cycle, pregnancy and menopause, and how these affect the sport.

The authors examine the biomechanics of running, including anatomy, electromyographic responses, joint kinetics, and metabolic reactions that occur in
Debra
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first part is about the innate advantages men have over women when it comes to running. Here's the short list: pretty much everything about them is better designed for running. Kind of depressing, although it was interesting to read that the one area women do have an advantage is in distance running (half marathon and longer). Something about our ability to burn fat better than men which is critical for distance running. Men fatigue faster as a result. But I digress.

So I skipped chapters th
Nancy
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it

Overall, it was interesting and informative. Parts were a little wordy and over explained, but overall it was good. I know it's a running book, but the strength training section should have mentioned core and upper body as well. When you get tired, that's what helps keep you upright. Plus, it's all about balance, right? I also found it funny that on all the weight pictures the women have itty bitty little weights, except for the dead lifts where they look pretty heavy. There's normally not that
Leah
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: how-to
A lot of general stuff that is in every running book with sections that address female-specific concerns. Some of them were less female-runner-specific than female-specific in general, e.g. osteoporosis. However, a lot of the stuff about hormone cycles and thier effects on physiology were new to me and super useful, explaining a lot of what I've noticed about my energy and performance over the course of a month and suggesting strategies to take advantage of them. Muscle mass/strength training is ...more
Rachel
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women who run regularly, or want to
Good book, geared toward the woman who is already running or people who work with them. I wish there had been more information about setting a base (which is what I am trying to do now after a period of not running for about 4 years). There is great information about injury prevention and treatment, and the nutrition info, while basic, is good. Really this was mostly stuff I already knew from Runner's World (although the authors poo-poo popular magazines and training programs like "Team in Train ...more
Terri Fleming
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I borrowed this from the local library. When I started to read it I really thought it was too technical. Then as I got into it I decided that it was exactly the kind of book that I would refer to as I got further into this endeavor. So I ordered it online. I can't wait to get it, even though I have read it cover to cover.
Radell
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This book has a few highlights. Seems to have been written for a selective group of women that run a 6 minute mile. Hard to relate to at times but again some interesting take always about female training.
Cherie
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, running
Of course I love running books, but this book was a little odd - some stuff was SO scientific and over my head and completely drawn out - but other stuff was not. Some interesting tips, good workouts, good exercises (I want to try some of the plyometric ones!).
CC
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
very complex and scientific look into the process of running. A bit over my head at this point in my training. I may revisit this book in the future, but I didn't find this book particularly helpful.
Tracy Morton
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I found this book really scientific and rather boring. I am not nearly hardcore enough to use this particular book.
Elizabeth
Jan 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Heavy on science that is readily available elsewhere and not a ton of real world application. Pregnancy and menopause sections were good and not topics often covered in other running books.
Alison
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I skipped large chunks of this book simply because they didn't apply to me, but the parts that did were super-informative. A little overly scientific, but overall very interesting.
Terra Wolski
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot of technical stuff and a lot that doesn't apply to me but otherwise a lot of great info! :)
Darsha