Start by marking “How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0” as Want to Read:
How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0

Read Book

How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  590 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
How do I deal with my crappy organization? I like my work but I don’t like what our management is doing. How do I deal with it? Well, that’s easy. You have three options:

1. Ignore it. Changing organizations is hard work. If you don’t have the stamina to learn how to be a good change agent, then stop complaining about what’s bad. Accept that the organization is what it is,
ebook, First, 87 pages
Published March 23rd 2012 by Jojo Ventures BV

To ask other readers questions about How to Change the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Change the World

Alessandro
Este livro infelizmente só possui uma boa introdução. Ao longo do texto fica claro que se trata de um livro escrito por um técnico de TI, entusiasta dos métodos ágeis e do movimento Lean, e além disso, consultor.

Os objetivos do autor com este livro foram: (i) divulgar o movimento Stoods, o (ii) o Agile Lean Europe e (iii) o curso de gestão 3.0 ministrado por ele. Isto fica claro em afirmações como: “ … eu quero aplicar o método Mojito para mudar a gestão de mudanças. Eu posso ajudar você a venc
Nastya Khyzhniak
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some of the pages and citation are worth printing out in the form of posters to just hang them around working spaces. While reading I stopped several times to take a note of a particular phrase or a citation and share it with my friends later. And yes, most of the people reviewing this book are quite right: it doesn't offer you an easy 3-step revolutionary way to change your organization, but it summarizes quite accurately the largest and the most useful practices you need to know and apply to b ...more
Robson Castilho
This book aggregates some known techniques (PDCA, ADKAR, Innovation Adoption Curve and 4 I's) into a "Change Management Super Model", aimed to provide help in changing an organization to a management model more consistent with the present.
Quick and funny reading, serving as a short reference guide to those practices. But if you want more detailed information about the subject, this book may seem too short and incomplete.
Dennis
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
It started quite promising, but after a couple of pages I realized it was more of a reiteration of a few previously existing frameworks or models. Nothing new, but a nice, quick read. It's no waste of time to read about these models from another perspective, especially with Jurgen's brief and sometimes quite humorous style.
Bjoern Rochel
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, eng-mgmt
Mostly a reference book. But I guess that's ok for a book with ~ 90 pages. I really like Jürgens humorous writing style and his attitude towards change models (combining and adapting existing models into something greater). I will definitely spend more time learning about PDCA, ADKAR and 5Is et al.
Alejandro
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management30
Excellent book! Full of references to additional material for change agents that need to advance on those topics.
Miguel Ángel Ocaña Silva
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile
Aunque corto, contiene información resumida sobre puntos clave y cómo empezar a aprender sobre ellos. Resulta motivador.
Hrishikesh Karekar Karekar Karekar
A refreshing short read. Good for change agents covering some key aspects relevant for any kind of transformation
Henri Hämäläinen
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book, that gathers the most important ideas of change management. It doesn't go the details, but I guess that was the intention also.
André Bernardino
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bom livro. Recomendo fortemente a gestores e lideres que o leiam

Bom livro. Recomendo fortemente a gestores e lideres que o leiam. É um bom guia para líderes e gestores ágeis.
Roman Kohoutek
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why would you like to read this book? Because you can finish it easily in one or two days, it is well written, gives you an overview of modern change management and has a great bibliography in it ;-)
April Johnson
An easy to read intro to change management theory. I didn't get much new from it, but enjoyed anyhow.
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Jurgen Appelo wrote this 90 pages booklet as a little guide for change managers. In How to Change the World – Change management 3.0 he mixes a couple of methods as models as a fresh mojito to his audience. Digging from his own experience as serial entrepreneur (failing for 15 years and finally successful) and social network meetings like the Stoos Network (January 2012), and the Agile Lean Europe Network, the guide is meant to tickle your brains to take small steps and make changes doable. The g ...more
Patrick
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, consulting
A very short cheat-sheet for driving organizational change. Appelo draws on numerous sources that go into more detail, such as Influencer: The Power to Change Anything and Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas, and includes other influences such as Systems Thinking (see: Thinking in Systems: A Primer). It's a great start, and may be all you need to effect the change you want, but if you're serious about organizational change, think about this as a survey course, and not the end of ...more
Derek Neighbors
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a great quick read that covers a number of existing works remixed into something tangible and immediate. It covers the current state of management and road to moving away from the failing organizational model adopted by so many.

Showing the Plan Do Check Act (PDCA) model, highlighting the importance of the people in the organization, giving a model to stimulate the flow of ideas and detailing out how go about changing the environment are laid out in this brief work on how to set up
Isidro López
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: agile
Nice, easy to read and short book, very interesting because of the holistic view about change management. It's very good as an introductory book to this topic, or even as a quick general reminder.

Depending on the expectations, those pros might be the cons as well: everything stays at a very superficial place, without specific examples or actions.

My rate is not so high because I had already read "Fearless change" in the past, which personally, I find much more interesting if you want more concret
Cristina
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This booklet is a great addition to any change agent's desk, to be easily referred to whenever in a state of confusion or blockage. I see it as a toolbox, packed with wisdom and questions that can light up darker paths. Almost 10% of the book became my reading notes and that's a personal record.
Take-away = one of the inspiring quotes from the author himself: "Again and again I have tried to have some impact on the world around me. And every time I failed. Did I give up? Of course not".
Diego Higuchi
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Livro muito bom, estimula a proatividade, a mudança, em busca da melhora contínua. No modelo de gestão de mudança é deixado bem claro que em uma organização não é guiada por um chefe e sim uma grande rede social, que todos devem interagir uns com os outros dentro dela, deixando de lado a hierarquia, dentre outras citações. Recomendo à todos que desejam mudanças, mas não sabem por onde começar nas organizações em que atuam.
Klaus
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I stumbled across this booklet because i could lend it for free on Amazon and i was looking for a refresher on that topic.

The models presented are nothing new, and it contains a good amount of plugs of or Jurgen's other books. Yet the quick read was mostly joyful and fulfilling its purpose. The easy style, as well as the many examples given, given or to scan the bibliography for more reading In this direction.
Geert
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
lovely book

Dance with the system, using the PDCA model (plan, do, check, act.)
Mind the people, using the ADKAR model (awareness, desire, knowledge, ability, and reinforcement.)
Stimulate the network, using the Adoption Curve model.
Change the environment, using the Five I’s model.

Sebastian Gebski
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice, quick read. A bit pricey.

A cheatsheet for everyone who needs self-inspiration and / or kick-start. Most likely it won't change your perspective or teach you anything new, but it's not the point: it helps with getting a proper focus on what change is and what's important if you want to change the organization you belong to.
Flavius
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jurgen uses his (in)famous Mojito Method to take four change management models (PDCA, ADKAR, innovation adoption curve, four Is) and blend them into a distilled change management meta model.

The book's small size makes it likely you will keep it within close reach for quick reference but at the same time means some of the content won't be properly understood without further research.
Clony
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Don't expect to find the solutions in this book, in fact it has a lot of known frameworks, but still a very good book cause it compile then, and just as the author says (improve the good ideas and adapt then to your needs) it offers possibilities of uses but it depends on each one who read it to use then with wisdom.

It is like a guide or a compass to help you. Congratulations to the author!
Juanma
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile
A wonderful approach to the complex problem of change management full of practical examples and references that will help change agents to start "climbing the Everest". This booklet is for all of you that feels that a change needs to be ignited in our old & crappy organizations.
Rafael Targino
O livro apresenta uma visão diferenciada do que vemos por aí do assunto de gestão de mudanças. Apesar de ter uma abordagem bem interessante, achei também um pouco ingênua e mais focada para implantar mudanças em projetos e equipes, ao invés de grandes mudanças organizacionais.
Guilherme Ferreira
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Achei um livro muito bom, indico principalmente para os meus amigos que querem promover mudanças, sejam elas de comportamento, ambiente ou pessoas e se sentem impotentes. O livro vai te apresentar métodos, modelos e ferramentas para lhe ajudas a fazer uma gestão de mudanças que impacte de verdade.
Jan Höglund
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a small book (70 pages) which is easy to read. The core of the book is a combination of a number of ideas into a superidea, or as the author calls it, a supermodel. Overall I think the supermodel becomes too much of an intellectual construction.
Mikhail
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A reasonably good collection of ideas, but I'd appreciate practical examples and empirical evidence of the effectiveness of suggested methods.
Andy Lowry
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great short introduction to the various models and approaches that can be used to bring about change in any organisation.
Victor Grigoriu
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • The Culture Game
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Visual Leaders: New Tools for Visioning, Management, and Organization Change: New Tools for Visioning, Management, and Organizational Change
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
***STARTUP, SCALEUP, SCREWUP. New book available in April 2019. Visit: http://startup-scaleup-screwup.com and stay tuned!***

With my company Agility Scales, I am inventing the future of organizational agility. Why are we wasting our time learning how to manage companies, when very soon computers will navigate us through our work-lives and help us to lead and manage our teams?

As a serial founder, su
“Many early adopters are what are commonly known as opinion leaders. These important people represent about 13.5 percent of the population. They are smarter than average, and tend to be open to new ideas. But they are different from innovators in one critical respect: They are socially connected and respected. And here’s the real influence key. The rest of the population—over 85 percent—will not adopt the new practices until opinion leaders do. – Kerry Patterson, Influencer [Patterson 2008]” 0 likes
“In order to change people’s behavior, instead of changing the people themselves (which is hard to do without an expensive operating table), you might want to consider changing the environment, and let the people (re‑)organize themselves.” 0 likes